Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 04-11-2021, 6:47 AM

Default Utah vs. Nevada for multi-state?

I have two trainers near me offering multi-state. One teaches Utah, the other teaches Nevada.

Looking on the USCCA maps, the coverage differences are obvious, for example Washington, or no Washington.

They are both 5 years. I don't see any standout process differences.

Is there any other reason one of them has an advantage?
Old 04-11-2021, 7:03 AM

Default UT or NV

The UT permit is less expensive at $63.95 compared to NV at $97.00. Back when I had my NV non-resident permit you had to apply in person at a Sheriff or PD location and the training had to be done at a location there. I did mine at The Gun Store in Vegas and then you had to go to the LVPD fingerprint facility to get fingerprinted and you picture taken for Clark county which Vegas is in (and there is a separate cost for this. You'll have to check with them to see if that's still required. UT you can do everything by mail.
Old 04-11-2021, 7:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yendor View Post
The UT permit is less expensive at $63.95 compared to NV at $97.00. Back when I had my NV non-resident permit you had to apply in person at a Sheriff or PD location and the training had to be done at a location there. I did mine at The Gun Store in Vegas and then you had to go to the LVPD fingerprint facility to get fingerprinted and you picture taken for Clark county which Vegas is in (and there is a separate cost for this. You'll have to check with them to see if that's still required. UT you can do everything by mail.
The Nevada guy claims to provide everything needed, will collect the background check information, and collect fingerprints onto cards during the session. This is an established and well liked business.
I'm not that excited about giving my fingerprints to a private entity, but if he's sending physical cards, I'm ok with it.
Old 04-11-2021, 9:02 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogSac View Post
The Nevada guy claims to provide everything needed, will collect the background check information, and collect fingerprints onto cards during the session. This is an established and well liked business.
I'm not that excited about giving my fingerprints to a private entity, but if he's sending physical cards, I'm ok with it.
No, you would still need to go to the Sheriff’s office to apply for the permit.

Do UT and be done with it all via mail. AZ is even faster if you don’t have that already.

Unless you frequent NV a lot, no need to get the NV non-resident permit.

iTrader
Old 04-11-2021, 9:47 AM
retired Goon

Quote:
Nevada laws/regulations requires the applicant to submit the NV CCW application in person with the NV issuing agency that approved the NV CCW trainer you utilized.

During the application submission process, the NV issuing agency will take the applicant's picture and fingerprints.
^NV laws requires fingerprints to be taken by an authorized employee of the NV issuing agency. [NRS 202.3657 (7)(b)]

In addition, each NV issuing agency has a list of CCW trainers that they have approved and will not accept a CCW training certificate from a non-approved trainer.
^What may be approved in one county, may not be approved in other counties.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 04-11-2021 at 11:01 AM..
Old 04-11-2021, 9:52 AM

Utah. As said above, you would need to go to Nevada to apply for your license. Utah and Arizona are really easy.
Old 04-12-2021, 3:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Get both. It is not an either or proposition. I have had both for years and it is worth the time and effort to do so. Like Quiet stated above you will need to go to Nevada to get a Nevada CCW, however, it is well worth it IMO!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 04-15-2021, 12:25 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Get both. It is not an either or proposition. I have had both for years and it is worth the time and effort to do so. Like Quiet stated above you will need to go to Nevada to get a Nevada CCW, however, it is well worth it IMO!
Why? Nevada recognizes Utah permit. So, what is the benefit for me to have Nevada one specifically? ( leaving aside some other states that recognize Nevada permit and do not recognize Utah's ( if there are any ))

EDIT 2020: To be fair that seems to apply to many Westerners also.
Old 04-15-2021, 2:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Utah is going to constitutional carry next month. Don't know how that will affect any multi state issues...

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/
Old 04-16-2021, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
Utah is going to constitutional carry next month. Don't know how that will affect any multi state issues...
Moot point, will have no issue on what other states do in regards to recognition/reciprocity of the Utah CFP.
Old 04-16-2021, 12:31 AM

Quote:
I have two trainers near me offering multi-state. One teaches Utah, the other teaches Nevada.

Looking on the USCCA maps, the coverage differences are obvious, for example Washington, or no Washington.

They are both 5 years. I don't see any standout process differences.

Is there any other reason one of them has an advantage?
Take the Utah class and get your Utah CFP and Arizona CWP by mail and don't worry about Nevada, their permit is inferior to both UT & AZ.
Old 04-16-2021, 3:45 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mblat View Post
Why? Nevada recognizes Utah permit. So, what is the benefit for me to have Nevada one specifically? ( leaving aside some other states that recognize Nevada permit and do not recognize Utah's ( if there are any ))
Because Nevada will always recognize their own permit. Recognition and reciprocity is a dynamic issue and changes frequently. This way you never need to worry about which states Nevada will or will not recognize.

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

Old 04-16-2021, 8:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Daze View Post
Moot point, will have no issue on what other states do in regards to recognition/reciprocity of the Utah CFP.
My point is that nobody will need a Utah CFP anymore. Why would they continue to issue permits?

Got a jury summons? Know your rights! http://fija.org/
Old 04-16-2021, 8:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
My point is that nobody will need a Utah CFP anymore. Why would they continue to issue permits?
For reciprocity if one is out of state.

Plus, if one has AZ only, you don’t get Washington state.

And don’t forget, constitutional carry doesn’t exempt someone from Federal GSFZ unless with a valid state permit.

iTrader
Old 04-18-2021, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
Because Nevada will always recognize their own permit. Recognition and reciprocity is a dynamic issue and changes frequently. This way you never need to worry about which states Nevada will or will not recognize.
From that point of view, yes. I guess if one travels a lot it could be beneficial to have CL from the state you are in.

EDIT 2020: To be fair that seems to apply to many Westerners also.
Old 05-19-2021, 12:56 PM

Also worth noting that NV and Arizona have some kind of beef sometimes when it comes to reciprocity. It has changed a few times in the last 10 years. And as NV turns more and more blue, id expect things to change again soon.

Get UT. More states (GA too), mail in application, plus the AZ reciprocity issues. The only reason to get an NV ccw is if you live in NV.
Old 05-19-2021, 9:09 PM

Quote:
You shouldnt talk if you dont know why most people get permits in there states. Most states, if you have a chl. You bypass the background check. When purchasing a weapon.. like utah non resident and resident can buy a weapon and have a nice day.. minus non resident needs to transfer to there state ffl. The instructor for utah stated in my class (he is on this forum) for non resident you can purchase a pistol but it has to be cali. complaint and shipped to an ffl. So just cuz a state does consutitonal carry. People still want permits to bypass the background. Also constitutional carry in most states. If your 1000ft from a school its illegal.. If you have your CHL, youre exempted from that 1000ft law

Last edited by press press; 05-19-2021 at 9:38 PM..
Old 05-19-2021, 9:15 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Why many permits?

1- because we can
2- it helps the states with higher numbers
But really it’s #3

Should I end up in a shooting
Should I end up in court
Should the DA end up looking at a case

Well I want things on my side. Here are 1,2 or 3 states that issued me a CCW saying - yeah - we checked the background and training - they are a stand up person and can have a permit.

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 05-22-2021, 3:17 PM

Any current news on how long UT non resident permits are taking ? My debit card shows debit on April 12. Curious.
Old 05-22-2021, 5:11 PM

Mine was right on the 60 day mark. Maybe 5 weeks at most.
Old 05-22-2021, 5:41 PM

Got mine yesterday 5/21. Lady still waiting for hers. We mailed out our applications march 24. April 9 checks were cashed.
Old 05-22-2021, 8:14 PM

Understood. Thanks for the feedback. Molon Labe.
Old 06-06-2021, 9:35 PM

I am still learning, so I may have much opportunity for gaining understanding and I welcome suggestions...it's my understanding that the CA ccw is recognized in many states, and that the non-resident licenses are actually not observed in some states; at present the Utah/Arizona non-resident permits only add 5/6 states, respectively.

Utah is now a constitutional carry state & Nevada will recognize either the Utah or the Arizona non-resident permits!

The CA permit actually gives me the ability to carry in the places I travel to most frequently outside of CA. But, I'm going to apply for the AZ permit, for ease and length of permit (5yrs).

And, as HermosaBeach said:
"Should I end up in a shooting...end up in court...I want things on my side. Here are 1,2 or 3 states that issued me a CCW saying - yeah - we checked the background and training - they are a stand up person and can have a permit."

Last edited by carrywisely_ca; 06-07-2021 at 11:26 PM.. Reason: corrected information about NV accepting non-resident ccw permits.
Old 06-07-2021, 1:57 AM
I need a LIFE!!

If you travel to Nevada on a regular basis then it is worth the effort to get the Nevada permit. I was in Las Vegas last weekend and instead of worrying about which non-resident permit they accept/don't accept I simply brought it with me. Since I have a California CCW I crossed state line and was covered on either side. No fuss no muss. Spend the time and effort to get it!

Old 06-07-2021, 7:59 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrywisely_ca View Post
Utah is now a constitutional carry state & Nevada does not recognize either the Utah nor the Arizona non-resident permits!
Not sure where you got this from but that’s FUD:

https://rccd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gs...2%20(002)B.pdf

Also, there is sometimes feuds where NV does or doesn’t recognize AZ. In any case, if you’re traveling to NV often, get their permit instead, as BJ said above.

UT and AZ cover most of what you want.

iTrader

Last edited by 9Cal_OC; 06-07-2021 at 8:03 AM..
Old 06-07-2021, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Not sure where you got this from but that’s FUD:

https://rccd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gs...2%20(002)B.pdf

Also, there is sometimes feuds where NV does or doesn’t recognize AZ. In any case, if you’re traveling to NV often, get their permit instead, as BJ said above.

UT and AZ cover most of what you want.

Not "fud", my guy. It was a mistake; I was reading FL (Florida's) statutes next to a window with NV and became confused.

Thanks for pointing it out. I'll remove the incorrect information from my post.
Old 06-08-2021, 8:14 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrywisely_ca View Post
Not "fud", my guy. It was a mistake; I was reading FL (Florida's) statutes next to a window with NV and became confused.

Thanks for pointing it out. I'll remove the incorrect information from my post.
No worries. Didn’t mean to sound snarky.

Good you’re researching permits’ reciprocity as one should when traveling.

iTrader
Old 09-15-2021, 10:16 AM

Default Quick turnaround on Utah & Florida CCWs'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invalcon@msn.com View Post
Any current news on how long UT non resident permits are taking ? My debit card shows debit on April 12. Curious.
I realize I'm replying to a post from three months ago, (hopefully you've received your Utah CFP by now), but for others' contemplating a Utah CFP I say DO IT!

I mailed-in my (Non-Resident) Utah CFP Application on 8/3, and received it 8/31. That's only four (4) weeks from end-to-end!

I mailed-in my (Non-Resident) Florida CFL Application the same day I mailed my Utah CFP Application (8/3), and received it 9/3, so about 4.5 weeks on Florida. Maybe my applications arrived at the right time. Anyway, I hope this helps someone.

Keith