Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 08-02-2020, 8:34 PM

I donít think you can go too wrong just focusing on fundamentals and front sight acquisition for the first year or so. Until you can accurately put a magazine into one hole at 7-yards, can clear common malfunctions and have a good working knowledge of the firearm there isnít a real urgency to start moving around. Donít skip the fundamentals.
Old 08-02-2020, 9:26 PM

Didnít read all the responses.
When I was routinely going to the range back when ammo was plentiful, I would go through 200 rounds an hour, once or twice a week.
Now my favorite range is closed, and the only other one in town is undergoing fire repair. I just ordered a target stand on Amazon. Iím shooting in my yard.
Hope the neighborhood is okay with it (I live in the county, so my sheriffís office is okay with that).
Old 08-02-2020, 10:21 PM

Had my range session today, I shot 90 rounds of my 22lr and only 43 rounds of my 9mm. One guy I saw shot about 40 rounds of 45acp and left. Another person shot about 20 rounds of his 357magunm revolver and some 22lr. So looks like everyone is reducing practice session.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cz74 View Post
Had my range session today, I shot 90 rounds of my 22lr and only 43 rounds of my 9mm. One guy I saw shot about 40 rounds of 45acp and left. Another person shot about 20 rounds of his 357magunm revolver and some 22lr. So looks like everyone is reducing practice session.

Thatís a bummer. Iím wondering if itís more useful to space range visits out more, but still shoot the same amount per session.
Old 08-02-2020, 10:37 PM

Usually shoot about. 100-200 9mm ,50-100 22s. And 50 .45s at an indoor range. When i hit the desert it really varies but at usually 250 9mm. 100-200 .223 50 .308
100+ 7.62x39 and a maybe 50 rounds of something random .17hmr 5.7x28 or 30-06 30-30 etc
Old 08-03-2020, 2:59 AM

This is the advice I have been giving to my friends who have had some practice time in the indoor range.
Join a IDPA or USPSA weekly match in your area, for the following reasons.
1. Majority of the clubs welcome new shooters to the sport and can teach you proper gun handling and range rules when competing.
2. You are practicing to shoot with the correct pistol grip, shooting posture, sight picture and trigger control while having a great time.
3. learning to move and shoot at the same time or shoot behind cover, this is applicable in daily life if your in trouble.
4. Shooting 200 or 300 rounds in competition is more gratifying that standing in the indoor booth punching holes. This will be a good gauge on how you develop as a shooter.
5. You will learn faster because you will make friends and meet a lot of seasoned shooters that will be happy to help you improve your shooting.
These are what I have experienced when I started shooting and I would like to pass it on.

Last edited by glockaroo; 08-03-2020 at 3:24 AM.. Reason: add more info
Old 08-03-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockaroo View Post
This is the advice I have been giving to my friends who have had some practice time in the indoor range.
Join a IDPA or USPSA weekly match in your area, for the following reasons.
1. Majority of the clubs welcome new shooters to the sport and can teach you proper gun handling and range rules when competing.
2. You are practicing to shoot with the correct pistol grip, shooting posture, sight picture and trigger control while having a great time.
3. learning to move and shoot at the same time or shoot behind cover, this is applicable in daily life if your in trouble.
4. Shooting 200 or 300 rounds in competition is more gratifying that standing in the indoor booth punching holes. This will be a good gauge on how you develop as a shooter.
5. You will learn faster because you will make friends and meet a lot of seasoned shooters that will be happy to help you improve your shooting.
These are what I have experienced when I started shooting and I would like to pass it on.
Yeah, I'm very interested in IDPA to start. I just want to get some of the basics down, then find a time when ammo is more available for the larger amounts I will need to compete.

I think I'm going to get into Airsoft in the backyard, since there doesn't seem to be a major run on that yet. I can still afford 5000 BBs for $15 and green gas for $20!
Old 08-03-2020, 10:36 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyc View Post
I'm curious to what tool you use to recover brass?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I have one similar to this that my wife bought somewhere

https://www.harborfreight.com/EZ-Rea...iABEgJ1-_D_BwE

And also one similar to this.

https://www.acehardware.com/departme...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

They both work pretty well, although like many things, I wish the handles were a few inches longer (I am 6' tall...most things seem to be made for shorter people).
Old 08-03-2020, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyc View Post
I'm curious to what tool you use to recover brass?
A friend has a 'nut picker'. It works great for picking up pistol brass.

http://www.brassmower.com/

SoCal local source:

RELOAD
1739 S DOUGLAS RD STE ANAHEIM, California
714-767-9956

It's a little on the expensive side; $61 MSRP, but it will last forever.

Well made, and made in USA.
_P

Last edited by Preston-CLB; 08-03-2020 at 10:57 AM..