Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-06-2020, 3:49 PM
Veteran Member

Of all the many 22 pistols I’ve owned, the 2 that ate everything, every time was the Ruger MkI & II , equal to those was my old early 60s High Standard Sport king
Old 06-06-2020, 4:08 PM

I've found .22 semi-auto pistols to be finicky about ammo. Some more so than others.
Old 06-06-2020, 5:52 PM

My Ruger MkII and Buckmark, both stock configuration, eat the 17 different cheap ammos I buy. But my S&W revolvers have 2 or 3 ammos of the 17 that will jam them up. I also have a Henry Mares Leg that eats all but that's a little different category.
Old 06-08-2020, 8:53 AM

I like the P22; I actually like it enough that I bought another when I moved here because my old one has the threaded barrel (so scary!!!) and stayed behind. I feed it bulk Federal from the red 550 round boxes and sometimes get wax buildup in the from of the magazine that causes drag and gives me the occasional fail to feed if I don't keep the mags clean.

I also have a Buckmark (5.5" bull barrel, mid 1990s vintage), used it for NRA Bullseye competition for years with standard velocity CCI and Aquila. Probably around 10,000 rounds through it and I looks like the back of the firing pin is a bit peened, getting light strikes. This is the first issue I have had with it, and it is a simple one to fix.
Old 06-08-2020, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinger View Post
My Ruger MkII and Buckmark, both stock configuration, eat the 17 different cheap ammos I buy. But my S&W revolvers have 2 or 3 ammos of the 17 that will jam them up. I also have a Henry Mares Leg that eats all but that's a little different category.
HuH?!
Old 06-08-2020, 11:29 AM

Anyone have experience with a s&w model 622 ? Looks kinda ugly but I just saw one in a local gun store for $159
I pledge allegiance to the Eagle with the MP5 of the United Police States of America, and to the fallen Republic which once stood, the New World Order under our new overlords, divided, with tyranny and injustice for all.
Enthusiast
Old 07-13-2020, 5:13 PM
Banned

I like this pistol if you can find it by PPT...

Old 07-19-2020, 8:40 AM

I have a Ruger MK II Target and a Buckmark Trail Lite w/TRS-25. Both are solid shooters. Just yesterday I had an opportunity to buy a pair of MK III 22/45 Hunters but have decided to pass for now. I don’t particularly care for all the safety garbage on the MK III and would really like to hold out for a MK II Competition Target. We’ll see how long I can resist the temptation...
Old 07-19-2020, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Bee View Post
HuH?!
I have a S&W M617 6" and M63 3" that the cylinder will drag on rotation after firing Win M22 or Win USA. The case head expands after firing. I can say that every shell doesn't expand equally to the same degree. Sometimes it will go 3 or 5 or 6 shots before it starts dragging and getting slow. Sometimes one will expand large enough stop the cylinder, say the 4th round out of 10. Sometimes it's a matter of multiple rounds building up resistance, like DA trigger force is ok then gets slightly harder after the 3rd shot and builds by the 6th, I can't even cock it SA.

Each time I meticulously check and clean under the extractor, clean chambers and it is repeatable. I have checked if it is a certain chamber or chambers in the cylinder that causes problems but it doesn't correlate that way. I can always cycle the whole full cylinder of unfired rounds. I clean the cylinder and check that the rounds seat fully before firing.

I switch ammo and it doesn't happen. Aguila SV, 5 different CCI, 6 different Federal, 2 different Remington and Winchester Wildcat products work fine.

I also have a S&W M43 the jams with the Win M22, Win USA and also Win Wildcat.

The Win ammo works in my Ruger Single Six 6.5". That gun is absolutely reliable with any ammo. I also just got a Single Six Hunter that I love. The gold bead front sight is great for me.

I just bought a 4" 617 and haven't shot it yet. I will see if this one has the same issues.

Last edited by pinger; 07-19-2020 at 11:07 AM..
Old 07-19-2020, 9:12 AM

I broke in my P22 with 200 rounds of CCI. Then I moved to Golden Bullets (no problems), Federal Automatch (90% reliable), and American Eagle (maybe 60% reliable). I also have an AA kit for my G19 - it ONLY likes Golden Bullets. My S&W 617 on the other hand, eats anything.
Old 07-19-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Someday View Post
I broke in my P22 with 200 rounds of CCI. Then I moved to Golden Bullets (no problems), Federal Automatch (90% reliable), and American Eagle (maybe 60% reliable). I also have an AA kit for my G19 - it ONLY likes Golden Bullets. My S&W 617 on the other hand, eats anything.
Have you tried any Winchester ammo in your 617?
Old 07-19-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Blue View Post
I just got my Buck Mark back from browning and the slide stop/release is super loose. I don’t know why they didn’t bother to look over the gun before returning it. Idk. Anyone know how I can tighten this?

Question: I really like the feel of the Walther P22, (the small Walther 22lr pistol) but have heard they are the most unreliable pistol. Does anyone have any positive experience with these? I’m assuming that most of the bad experience comes from their first generation, as they are now an upgraded version with presumably better reliability.

Any help with the Walther question, buck mark issue or suggestion towards a reliable .22lr pistol, let me know. My Dad lives in Idaho and refuses to help me get a Ruger Mark iv Hunter, otherwise, that’s what I’d get.

I have a Walther P22 that I bought last year. I’ve put a few hundred rounds through it and it’s FTE twice. I like shooting it, it’s fun. The guy at the gun store recommended not to shoot the cheapest .22 ammo, but even the expensive .22 ammo is $7-$8 for 100. Ive heard bad stories about it too, but for me so far so good.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftop Voter View Post
Anyone have experience with a s&w model 622 ? Looks kinda ugly but I just saw one in a local gun store for $159
Would seem like a good price - fairly accurate and eats most anything
Old 07-19-2020, 12:25 PM

I just shot about 150 rounds on a new p22. It was fine for the first 100 shots, then it started jamming on federal bull ammo. The gun is also completely black after all these cheap bulk packs
Old 07-19-2020, 5:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooftop Voter View Post
No experience with one, and not exactly a looker, but I'd probably buy a $160 gun on principle if it looked to be in decent shape and function checked on inspection (better if they have an onsite range and will allow you to shoot it, but that's not always an option). I've had good luck with "cheap guns".

You probably wouldn't lose much if anything on resale if you decide you hate it...
Old 07-21-2020, 7:20 AM

The Ruger is what I had and it was pretty reliable for a 22 autoloader. Keep in mind that a rimfire generally is not as reliable as a centerfire because of the ignition design(chance of more misfires) a better self defense option would be a .25acp. not only due to bigger projectile by a bit but the fact the centerfire primer is generally more reliable.
Old 07-21-2020, 8:14 AM

My 1960’s H&R 929 Revolver has been ultra reliable.

My Stoeger Luger, not so much. It’s a jam-o-matic
Old 07-21-2020, 11:27 AM
Veteran Member

I have an H&R 999 Sportsman revolver and a Ruger Single Six that have been 100% reliable. My Ruger MKII Target has been very reliable, too. I do not recall any jams or failures with it. An ISSC was a nightmare...I sent it back and was told it was fine, but to only use Remington Golden Bullets or a couple other brands. It went on down the road. My Mom's old High Standard Sportking is picky - it does not like HPs or plain lead bullets - it requires the copper washed varieties. The trigger is target quality and the accduracy is outstanding, though.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:08 PM

Quote:
I have a S&W M617 6" and M63 3" that the cylinder will drag on rotation after firing Win M22 or Win USA. The case head expands after firing. I can say that every shell doesn't expand equally to the same degree. Sometimes it will go 3 or 5 or 6 shots before it starts dragging and getting slow. Sometimes one will expand large enough stop the cylinder, say the 4th round out of 10. Sometimes it's a matter of multiple rounds building up resistance, like DA trigger force is ok then gets slightly harder after the 3rd shot and builds by the 6th, I can't even cock it SA.

Each time I meticulously check and clean under the extractor, clean chambers and it is repeatable. I have checked if it is a certain chamber or chambers in the cylinder that causes problems but it doesn't correlate that way. I can always cycle the whole full cylinder of unfired rounds. I clean the cylinder and check that the rounds seat fully before firing.

I switch ammo and it doesn't happen. Aguila SV, 5 different CCI, 6 different Federal, 2 different Remington and Winchester Wildcat products work fine.

I also have a S&W M43 the jams with the Win M22, Win USA and also Win Wildcat.

The Win ammo works in my Ruger Single Six 6.5". That gun is absolutely reliable with any ammo. I also just got a Single Six Hunter that I love. The gold bead front sight is great for me.

I just bought a 4" 617 and haven't shot it yet. I will see if this one has the same issues.
interesting.. while I haven't experienced that type of failure, I completely understand what your saying.. possibly higher tolerances in the upper models make them a little finicky.. like when my $2500 PC9111 hangs up on a range reload and then I drop it any one of several <$1000 HK or Colts and chambers and fires
Old 07-21-2020, 6:31 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by The War Wagon View Post

I have a Mk.III, which is NOT as reliable (crummy design - especially to take down and clean) - can't comment on the Mk.IV
Get the Tandemkross hammer bushing. Does away with the mag disco & GREATLY improves the trigger pull. Makes disassembly like a MK II.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.
Old 07-22-2020, 9:08 AM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish45 View Post
Majestic Arms makes a speed strip kit to ease disassembly if it’s that hard for you.
You just cost me a hundred bucks!!!

...but saved me much more, as I'm not on the hunt for a PPT MkIV anymore!
Old 07-22-2020, 4:37 PM
Veteran Member

my 617 and 63 are great, my two single sixes are built like a tank and shoot everything.
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

William Butler Yeats 1865-1939
Old 07-22-2020, 5:55 PM
Veteran Member

I’ve gathered that a solid wheel gun is the best way to get a 22lr to run reliably. Since getting my Buckmark back from browning I’ve about 1200 rounds through it. I’ve had 11 failures, not a huge deal as this gun is never intended on defending my life. However, intentions don’t always play out as we would like them to. That said, I think I’m going to take the whole thing down and see if I can smooth out the action at all. I hope I don’t lose parts and have to bring it back to the gunsmith.
Old 07-22-2020, 7:45 PM

I have a Mk2 bull that is a pretty good runner, but I like the reliability of my single six and also love my H & R 999 Sportsman . I think you would like the 9 shot capability of the 999.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:04 PM

S&W 617. I’ve never had any malfunction with it. Remington, Aguila, Winchester, Federal, CCI...you name it the 617 fires it.

I have 8 .22 pistols, the 617 wins by a mile.
Old 07-23-2020, 7:52 AM

Quote:
Have you tried any Winchester ammo in your 617?
No, but I don't see why it wouldn't work; revolvers are pretty good at eating anything you feed them. I believe .22 Plinkster does a "what will work" video on the 617 and goes through several types of ammo. The ONLY ammo that I have ever had a problem with was Thunderbolts. One blew up in my gun. While it didn't harm the 617, it deformed the bullets in the other chambers (took me four. hour to clean that thing!). Of course I was also shooting my AA kit for my G19 and one round form that same batch messed up the barrel to the point that I actually had to replace the barrel on the AA kit! So far, that is the only ammo that I wouldn't take even if someone gave me a truckload of it!
Old 08-07-2020, 8:43 PM
Veteran Member

Buck Mark purchased on January 27th, first 4000 rounds were great. I’d clean it every 300 rounds, without taking it apart. At around 5000 rounds it started malfunctioning every mag with every kind of quality ammo. Browning says to not take down the pistol for cleaning. I think this was my main issue, after went against their advice and took it apart, I cleaned out A LOT of carbon build up and it has run really well since. I think its a big mistake for browning not to help gun owners learn how to take apart their buck marks. When I spoke to them over the phone, they would give me no help but suggested I just send it to them.
Old 08-08-2020, 11:03 AM

I have a p22 target version and love it. Itll eat anything I feed it. Although I do get an occasional failure to eject after around 400 rounds.
Old 08-17-2020, 8:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Wheel guns are always reliable, semi autos, sometimes.
True. But Sometimes, depending on the ammo, casings can stick really hard in my Model 17.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:13 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeGuy75 View Post
S&W 617. I’ve never had any malfunction with it. Remington, Aguila, Winchester, Federal, CCI...you name it the 617 fires it.

I have 8 .22 pistols, the 617 wins by a mile.
First of all, Love the Dodgers, lets go LA...and I live in Giant country

Second, I think you have the question answered with the 617. I don’t think there is a better .22 pistol on the market. Its just that price tag that deters me as I would much rather pick up a 586/686. Hopefully someday, because I shoot rimfire much more than centerfire.
Old 08-19-2020, 1:47 PM

Love my Ruger MkII and also my two S&W 63's (new and old).
Can't go wrong with either of those...
Old 08-19-2020, 2:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmcc0072 View Post
I have a Walther P22 that I bought last year. I’ve put a few hundred rounds through it and it’s FTE twice. I like shooting it, it’s fun. The guy at the gun store recommended not to shoot the cheapest .22 ammo, but even the expensive .22 ammo is $7-$8 for 100. Ive heard bad stories about it too, but for me so far so good.
I've got a little p22. I heard all the horror stories as well. But, after breaking it in, and using good ammunition, it's as reliable as any other 22 semi I've had.
Old 08-19-2020, 8:52 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Paul Harrell did a video of the LCP II .22 eating everything he tried.

Old 08-19-2020, 9:09 PM
Progressives Suck!
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

I have a Ruger Mk II that has been amazingly reliable over the years, but I cannot speak to the newer pistols.
Old 08-20-2020, 2:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish45 View Post
Do you realize the mk 1,2, and 3 break down the same way? The only major (yes, there are other minor differences) difference between a mk 1/2 and a 3 are the magazine disconnect and loaded chamber indicator?

Mk3’s are not any less reliable.

Seeing as mk 1/2/3’s are almost as difficult to find as a mk4 in California op doesn’t have a lot of options.
Well the first ones were a nightmare. I convinced a bud to buy a Ruger MKIII when they were new, I assumed it would be as good as my MKII. It was not. His was an early model where the loaded chamber indicator rested on the rim of the cartridge. That loaded chamber indicator knocked the case off the bolt face as the round was extracted and bud could not go through a magazines without having to clear a stove pipe or two. It was very frustrating. And then, we looked closer at the loaded chamber indicator and discovered that if you dropped the gun on it, or hit it, the force of the drop or blow would be transmitted directly to the rim of the cartridge. We decided that was dangerous. A gunsmith friend milled the flange off that thing and Bud's pistol ran reliably. Both of us were surprised that a major manufacturer would put out such a dangerous product.

But, the magazine disconnect made disassembly a problem. You had to insert the magazine and pull the trigger, and then you had to remember to remove the magazine. Separating the halves with the magazine in the pistol will result in damage to the magazine. The magazine disconnect also made reassembly a nightmare as you had to remember to insert, pull trigger, remove, it. Even with my MKII it takes multiple trigger pulls to align that hammer strut with the mainspring housing.

Because alignment of the hammer strut and mainspring housing is blind, even assembling my MKII gets to be frustrating. Plus the hammer strut is constantly getting itself stuck under a frame cross pin. Now, if I had X Ray vision, I could see the interrelationship of the parts and tilt the pistol just right, to get everything to align, but I don't. Unlike the other guy, when my space ship arrived on planet earth, I lost my X Ray vision! The MKI and MKII version were difficult enough to assemble, but the MKIII version is what forced Ruger to come out with the MKIV. That and competition with other brands which were not so difficult to assemble and disassemble.

However, the MKIII with the new loaded chamber indicator is a reliable pistol once assembled and will go bang. It is my opinion the best thing to do with a MKIII is buy the parts that convert it back to a MKII configuration, and I have Bullseye shooting buds who have done just that. It is the smart thing to do.

I think there are several features that make the Ruger MKI, MKII reliable, and the first is a great magazine. It is durable. I have handled other brands and they are not as rugged and easily get out of alignment. Also, Ruger created a robust ignition system, which is critical. His ignition system is powerful for a rim fire pistol. I love the trigger pull on my M41 but S&W, to achieve that wonderfully crisp trigger pull, installed a marginal mainspring. The M41 mainspring is not that powerful. Therefore 22lr ammunition that works perfectly well in rifles, and in my Ruger MKII, often gives misfires in the M41. Rifles have more robust ignition systems than pistols. I have had to search around for reliable pistol ammunition in my M41. Most of the good shooters are using SK, Eley, or Lapua pistol match ammunition, and I believe that the pistol match ammunition is make with more sensitive priming compound and a higher pressure curve, to function the pistol, than the rifle match. My rifle match ammunition has proved to be unreliable in my rimfire pistols.

I have a bud who bought a MKIV and he loves it. Maybe that is the best of the bunch, but I am keeping my MKII's

Old 08-20-2020, 2:49 PM

My Buckmark Camper is a champ. It will fail to eject and/or stovepipe with winchester white box if it's not cleaned every few hundred rounds, everything else it gobbles up.

It's my go-to "new shooter" pistol and there have been days it's eaten a brick of CCI without so much as barrel swab until we're done. That's with brand new shooters who don't always listen and sometimes limp wrist.

The only malfs were a couple of bad primers.
Old 08-20-2020, 9:07 PM

I used to own the GSG 1911-22 and while I had other misgivings about the firearm in general, I never had issues concerning FTE/FTF. I Only ever ran CCI mini mag through it, do I can't say if it would be that reliable with other ammo.

My current .22 is a Ruger MKIII 22/45. It likes to be cleaned every 400 rounds or so, and a quick swab through the chambers helps before and after a range trip. I was having FTE issues with it, so i changed to a Tandemkross extractor and now it's much better on that front, but I still get a jam every now and then. Before the new extractor I could barely get through 50 rounds without 1 or 2 jams and now it's like 1 out of 200. But I'd like it to be better.

The range rental buckmarks seem to do fine unless they're REALLY dirty, which some can be, given the use they get. I do like the slide design, which makes clearing jams a little easier.

I'd imagine a good .22 wheelgun would beat most autos for reliability.
Old 08-20-2020, 9:16 PM

My Buckmark became almost %100 reliable after I replaced the extractor and bent the ejector back in place. Stock, new it would jam at least once every magazines sometimes much worse. I still get light primer strikes every now and then but I think this is more ammo related.
Old 08-20-2020, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
OP your dad cannot buy a handgun for you in another state unless on roster. If off roster classic straw purchase. He could gift you as long as you did not elicit the sale.
"Will no one rid me of this troublesome Buckmark?"

Buckmarks are good guns. Aftermarket extractor might help.
Nine minutes into the video linked below is a scotch tape trick to make reassembling your Buckmark easier. Check spring on slide lock 9:57 in video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxFTi6uwS_k&t=465s

Last edited by stevebla; 08-20-2020 at 9:32 PM..
Old 08-21-2020, 12:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottsBad View Post
I have a Ruger Mk II that has been amazingly reliable over the years, but I cannot speak to the newer pistols.
I love my MKII... compared to a new Buckmark, I still love it. However, I have shot a family members 7.25 Lite gray a few times and it grew on me with the balance and it is accurate. First time I shot it, it had iron sights and I didn't think it was that accurate. It might have been the irons, but it was definitely the gun

I had a lot more fun with it after there was a TRS-25 on it.

Still, the MKII Gov Target is the tack driver.