Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:31 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford8N View Post
This ^^^^^
WASR is a good starter AK.
Although I don’t like the cast front sight block. I swapped out for a forged military unit just because I’m anal...

That’s crazy, why have regular old AKs jumped in price?
The older Norinco import AKs from the 1980s were banned from import early 90s. There are a lot in the USA but go for 1200+ these days for nice examples. I like mine... 1.5 mm receivers and heavy (slightly) chrome lined barrel.
Old 09-10-2018, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Your friend has decided to jump into the AK market a few years too late to get a decent new AK for any less than $600+. On the used market there are lots of them out there, but the price of a decent quality used AK is generally going to be over $500 unless he stumbles onto a deal. He seriously needs to set his budget at least a couple of hundred dollars higher if he expects to get a decent quality AK. As for the WASR's, the earlier ones may not have had the best fit and finish, but they they will run and run and there is really nothing wrong with them. The canted sights are an overblown issue and I have straightened out front sights before without all that much difficulty. Even the occasional Arsenal will come with slightly canted sights from time to time.

And if you think those Norincos have jumped in price, try buying one of these:

Or one of these:

Or even one of these:

But seriously, please, please tell your friend to stay away at all costs from the Century RAS47 or the C39V2 (and C39V1). They are junk and have components made out of cheese. Also he should stay away from home kit builds unless he does some research. There are a few nice factory kit builds out there like the ones from Atlantic and even Century made a couple of winners like the M70AB series, but without know exactly what he is buying, he should tread cautiously around any rifle is not a former Commie factory built gun.
Old 09-10-2018, 8:11 PM
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Yea, I remember seeing those late 70’s early eighties. The only reason I didn’t get into AKs then was ammo was nonexistent at the time. But I think I saw Chinese AKs around that price at the Great Western Show in 1980?
I was too young to buy back than. By the time I was old enough my first rifle was an SLR-95 I bought for $360 and that was a lot of money.

Here is a pic of the FTC spiker that came with ad.

Private 10 acre range rentals
[/URL]
Old 09-11-2018, 4:56 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

If I bought some AK pattern rifles 5-6 years ago at fair market value, do I now have the right in 2018 to heap praise upon myself for my amazing market prescience? Can I also mock and ridicule current prospective AK buyers who will have to pay more for the same stuff now?

Of course not. So why do so many people think that way? The guy who bought great stuff cheap back in his glory days isn't smarter or more clever. He was just born earlier.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:17 AM

Again for the wasr; I never understood the angst over canted sights, tho. Easy fix.
Old 09-11-2018, 7:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower View Post
Your friend has decided to jump into the AK market a few years too late to get a decent new AK for any less than $600+. On the used market there are lots of them out there, but the price of a decent quality used AK is generally going to be over $500 unless he stumbles onto a deal. He seriously needs to set his budget at least a couple of hundred dollars higher if he expects to get a decent quality AK. As for the WASR's, the earlier ones may not have had the best fit and finish, but they they will run and run and there is really nothing wrong with them. The canted sights are an overblown issue and I have straightened out front sights before without all that much difficulty. Even the occasional Arsenal will come with slightly canted sights from time to time.

Or one of these:

Or even one of these:

But seriously, please, please tell your friend to stay away at all costs from the Century RAS47 or the C39V2 (and C39V1). They are junk and have components made out of cheese. Also he should stay away from home kit builds unless he does some research. There are a few nice factory kit builds out there like the ones from Atlantic and even Century made a couple of winners like the M70AB series, but without know exactly what he is buying, he should tread cautiously around any rifle is not a former Commie factory built gun.
Stunning weapons! Great pics.

I was lucky to get the AK bug in 97-98 so My SAR rifles were $249 at the time.
Glad I got into the Romanian kits at $65 in those days to.
Its the reason I tell people, DONT SELL YOUR GUNS as you never know when they are going to go up in price. AKs are a perfect example.

In reality AK's are still relatively cheap outside of Ca though. I just saw WASRS at a gun show in Northern Idaho for $400 new.
Old 09-11-2018, 9:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guns and guitars View Post

In reality AK's are still relatively cheap outside of Ca though. I just saw WASRS at a gun show in Northern Idaho for $400 new.
If you have the contact info I will buy all of them for $400 each.

[/URL]
Old 09-11-2018, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiophil2 View Post
Definitely could flip for money.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:18 AM

Quote:
considering new wasr10s are more than $600 dealer cost ya I could make money if someone is giving them away at below distributor cost.

[/URL]
Old 09-11-2018, 10:31 AM

Finding a good AK for 500 bucks is gonna be difficult. I just put mine up for sale a WASR with a half dozen com block mags for 600. It shouldn't take long to sell. Tell your friend good luck.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:05 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Capitalism is BOSS
Old 09-11-2018, 11:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Phil,
I message you. Heading back up in a few weeks moving everything and if they are still there Ill hit you up right away.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Phil,
I message you. Heading back up in a few weeks moving everything and if they are still there Ill hit you up right away.
sounds good. always looking for bargains. especially pre-89 aks and anything else pre89 or WWII German marked stuff.

Right now I am really looking for Hungarian AK47 accessories. Mostly pouches, slings, knifes, etc. 70s-90's. Practice grenades for an amp69 and the grenade blanks would be top finders fee material.

[/URL]
Old 09-11-2018, 11:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
sounds good. always looking for bargains. especially pre-89 aks and anything else pre89 or WWII German marked stuff.

Right now I am really looking for Hungarian AK47 accessories. Mostly pouches, slings, knifes, etc. 70s-90's. Practice grenades for an amp69 and the grenade blanks would be top finders fee material.
Are there any deals at the crossroads or Mesa shows any longer? I remember flagged rifles in the parking lots yielded many O deal for me pre 2010.
Old 09-11-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Are there any deals at the crossroads or Mesa shows any longer? I remember flagged rifles in the parking lots yielded many O deal for me pre 2010.
I don't go. I rarely drive more than 5 miles from home unless I am going to the desert. I only attend SAR and even that gets boring fast so maybe every 2 years.

[/URL]
Old 09-11-2018, 2:07 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I am looking forward to the next one. Drive out. Pay for parking. Pay admission. Score a $12 hot dog at the food court. Wait in a long line for ammo priced above retail. Haul it to my car. Good times!

(References to Airsoft, Jerky, and Dreamcatchers omitted due to previous overuse in Gun Show threads.)
Old 09-11-2018, 2:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
I am looking forward to the next one. Drive out. Pay for parking. Pay admission. Score a $12 hot dog at the food court. Wait in a long line for ammo priced above retail. Haul it to my car. Good times!

(References to Airsoft, Jerky, and Dreamcatchers omitted due to previous overuse in Gun Show threads.)
Haha, I guess its not what it used to be. I remember the days when there were deals to be had. Especially in the parking lot and gun flagging.

But even back then you had the "stormin' Norman " collectable dinner plate collections!
Old 09-11-2018, 3:39 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Haha, I guess its not what it used to be. I remember the days when there were deals to be had. Especially in the parking lot and gun flagging.

But even back then you had the "stormin' Norman " collectable dinner plate collections!
I liquidated most of my rare and collectible firearms in order to leverage my assets heavily into the commemorative plate market. No junk, just higher end Franklin Mint collections, all with COA's. Nascar, the Duke, Wizard of OZ, etc. That market is HOT right now.
Old 09-11-2018, 4:02 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Or even one of these:

Nice rifle!
Old 09-11-2018, 4:04 PM
Veteran Member

I have not looked up AK prices in a while, I was one of the lucky few to get a WASR and 5.45 Saiga for 500 OTD.

insane prices! haha
Old 09-11-2018, 4:38 PM

if he can afford it get any SGL rifle...or any SLR or SAM rifle. Wasr next, some of the USA builds are ok...NO CENTURY ARMS rifles...evil, bad. wicked...
Old 09-11-2018, 5:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Yep, I saw a rack full of $500 WASR's for sale, right next to the $89 Mosin Nagants and $279 Sino-Chicom SKS rifles.

In 2011.
I remember the Big 5 coupons for $49 Mosin's.
Old 09-11-2018, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
If I bought some AK pattern rifles 5-6 years ago at fair market value, do I now have the right in 2018 to heap praise upon myself for my amazing market prescience? Can I also mock and ridicule current prospective AK buyers who will have to pay more for the same stuff now?

Of course not. So why do so many people think that way? The guy who bought great stuff cheap back in his glory days isn't smarter or more clever. He was just born earlier.
Exactly. I crack up when people tell me how smart I am for having the foresight to buy my Python in the late 80's.

I wasn't smart, I just liked the pistol and bought it. All the rest is unforeseen good fortune on my part.
Old 09-11-2018, 5:26 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
I liquidated most of my rare and collectible firearms in order to leverage my assets heavily into the commemorative plate market. No junk, just higher end Franklin Mint collections, all with COA's. Nascar, the Duke, Wizard of OZ, etc. That market is HOT right now.
You should check out lunch boxes!
Old 09-11-2018, 7:55 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:

just bought a m76 in 5.56 and full auto, and got a hell of a deal on it. Came with 10 magazines

M. Sage's I have a dream speech;

Quote:
Originally Posted by M. Sage View Post
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.

Last edited by colossians323; 09-12-2018 at 6:19 AM..
Old 09-11-2018, 8:11 PM

Funny how some stuff works some times you just get lucky. Mid 2012 I bought my 1st rifle didn't have enough money at the time for an ar-15 so I went with the one in my budget, a saiga iz-132 sporter. Cant believe what people are asking for them now but even at those prices now they are well worth it for a "real" ak rifle.
Old 09-11-2018, 9:03 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by colossians323 View Post
just bought a m76 in .556 and full auto, and got a hell of a deal on it. Came with 10 magazines
Wow! Never thought of getting a select fire myself. What kind of paperwork do you have to go through? Any months long wait like ATF stamps?

Thinking more of an RDIAS, so I can use it on more guns...

The wife will be pissed, but Jesus always forgives.
Old 09-11-2018, 10:44 PM
I need a LIFE!!

It's NFA just like a silencer. $200 ATF tax stamp, wait of 8 to 10 months these days.

Going price on a RDIAS is in excess of 20 grand. Lightning Link is probably a couple grand cheaper.

Verboten in California obviously.
Old 09-12-2018, 6:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanz2 View Post
Wow! Never thought of getting a select fire myself. What kind of paperwork do you have to go through? Any months long wait like ATF stamps?

Thinking more of an RDIAS, so I can use it on more guns...
Paperwork is easy, the wait is hard. Months and months and months you will wait.

As far as RDIAS goes, I used to think the same thing. The issue is RDIAS doesn't necessarily work in every receiver, and the price right now is outrageous (30-35K).
You might do better by buying a receiver gun (18-20K non colt), as you can put any upper on it.

IF you wanted to go with a sear an HK sear is a little easier to transfer from gun to gun and have them function properly. Typically you are just switching the trigger pack around from gun to gun as opposed to the sear.

Quote:
I dream about the day that the average would-be rapist is afraid to approach a woman who's walking alone at night. I dream of the day when two punks talk each other out of sticking up a liquor store because it's too damn risky.
Old 09-12-2018, 6:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
It's NFA just like a silencer. $200 ATF tax stamp, wait of 8 to 10 months these days.

Going price on a RDIAS is in excess of 20 grand. Lightning Link is probably a couple grand cheaper.

Verboten in California obviously.
Lightning link has gone through the roof too, the only one i saw for sale has an asking price of 17k, and RDIAS is in excess of 30 right now

Quote:
Old 09-12-2018, 6:47 AM

For the price, WASR can't be beat.....better then anything U.S made, former Yugo and as good as the Russian.
Old 09-12-2018, 7:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs762 View Post
if he can afford it get any SGL rifle...or any SLR or SAM rifle. Wasr next, some of the USA builds are ok...NO CENTURY ARMS rifles...evil, bad. wicked...
WASR is imported by Century Arms WTF are you talking about?
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
United States District Judge
March 29, 2019
Old 09-12-2018, 7:31 AM

Ras 47. Made by Century. Not imported. Most AK owners know WTF I'm taking about. I'm a FFL and I've had about every type of AK thru my shop and RAS are mostly crap. Tons of failures.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
Old 09-12-2018, 7:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Ras 47. Made by Century. Not imported. Most AK owners know WTF I'm taking about. I'm a FFL and I've had about every type of AK thru my shop and RAS are mostly crap. Tons of failures.

I agree. It’s very pathetic and odd that a US AK gun manufacture can’t build a good AK. I’ve looked at that RAS, they did a terrible job. It must be because of labor costs, I don’t think it’s skill or the ability to manufacture to military standards. Also, now a manufacture will have to overcome the reputation that a US made AK is crap. Because let’s face it, the general gun buying public are stupid and lazy. They don’t do research.
Old 09-12-2018, 7:46 AM

That and century likely figured a lower cost rifle wouldn't be fired more than a thousand rounds ever by their buyers...even DDI and Waffen Works had trouble. Palmettos AK line is mostly ok..ish.. Yugo npaps had cracking issues..opaps seem ok. Wasrs had issues on the past but are mostly fixed now. A good solid rifle for the money.

Old 09-12-2018, 8:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
That and century likely figured a lower cost rifle wouldn't be fired more than a thousand rounds ever by their buyers...even DDI and Waffen Works had trouble. Palmettos AK line is mostly ok..ish.. Yugo npaps had cracking issues..opaps seem ok. Wasrs had issues on the past but are mostly fixed now. A good solid rifle for the money.

Ha, Century got that wrong. Very first thing I used to do with my builds was put a full case through them. AKs are meant to be ammo hogs with smoking hand guards. Otherwise let it be a safe queen or buy a bolt gun.
Old 09-12-2018, 9:35 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

RAS 47 is probably the biggest turd of an AK that has ever been produced thanks for the clarification.
“This decision is a freedom calculus decided long ago by Colonists who cherished individual freedom more than the subservient security of a British ruler. The freedom they fought for was not free of cost then, and it is not free now.”

Hon. Roger T. Benitez
United States District Judge
March 29, 2019
Old 09-12-2018, 10:28 AM

Century has US made AKs and import AKs that they typically have to convert in the US to 922r compliance with US parts and opening up magwells.

Most of the imports are good from century.

When I look for an AK for my personal collection I go in this order:
pre94 ban no import markings
pre94 ban import markings
Russian 922r compliant (because my kid loves Russian stuff)
post ban that can easily be 1994-2004 debanned (I look for these to be used as shooters so I buy cheap ones)
922r compliant

I do not buy anything US made with US receivers or barrels. I do not buy import parts kit guns built on US receivers. These can be good guns when done buy guys like Krebs but they cost as much as preban AKs and lack the cool factor. The only franken AK I have is my cheap post sample made with a Saiga receiver, polish parts, and US barrel. It works but I would not consider it AK reliable but for $400 it was worth it. My kid has dumped at least 3000 rounds through it using 40 round mags in the last year and I just spray oil into it when it starts locking up. The barrel is already rainbow colored from the heat and I have made it smoke a few times.

[/URL]
Old 09-12-2018, 11:23 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Considering the high praise for the Saigas, I certainly wish I had bought more than my 1 7.62x39 and 1 .223 variants. I left them both unconverted and both are great shooters with the Saiga and SGM magazines. Even the trigger smooths out nicely after 500 rounds or so. No need to convert these turnkey rifles whatsoever.
Old 09-13-2018, 7:19 PM

Your friend should just keep saving to get a nice AK, the SGLs and Arsenal’s are nice

Don’t get a WASR