Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 07-22-2019, 5:14 PM

For those concerned with generator OPSEC: I have a 130 Amp alternator in my truck, which I could easily connect to my 2kw pure-sine inverter. Makes a lot less noise than a genny.

(I live in LADWP territory, but I run my fridge, computer, audio, and about half my lighting from 300 watts of solar. Lighting is 12v LED, the rest runs through the inverter.)
Old 07-23-2019, 4:07 AM
Veteran Member

I've been on my own generator quest for a while, and got some unfortunate news yesterday after locating a couple of potential generators.
I've been trying to find a relatively simple(read that is cheap/iinexpensive) way to connect the generator to the house wiring.
In my research, I found a breaker interlock system that looked simple enough for me to do. But, it won't work with my breaker box.
Even worse, during my research, I found that my house at one time was "upgraded", due to the addition of a roof mount A/C, with a new breaker box. A Sylvania Zinisco made box. Which apparently is now considered a fire hazard and should be replaced.
So, if I get my generator, I'm back to using drop cords and no A/C(and heater) unless I get a new breaker box in stalled.
This after I found a couple of decent generators at a very good price. So, right now it appears that my options are two. #1) Get the generator/s now just to get started being prepared, and use drop cords. Or #2) Hold off on the generators until I get the box replaced.

Links that might help.

https://www.diy-experts.net/wattage-calculator/

https://www.instructables.com/id/Eas...-Home-Hook-Up/

http://www.nooutage.com/interlock_kits.htm

Last edited by Sailormilan2; 07-23-2019 at 4:24 AM..
Old 07-23-2019, 5:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Suggestion for cheap/easy way to 'temporarily' back feed your house with a generator using existing house wiring if you have a 30-50amp 4 wire outlet feeding your dryer or range appliance.

- Add cord and plug from generator to match outlet feeding your 120/240v, 4 wire appliance outlet. (This assumes the output of the generator is rated for the cord/plug you are attaching and realize that the 'male plug' will be live when generator is on and cord is plugged in!)
- Open and lock out your main breaker to the house (to keep utility workers and equipment safe up stream).
- Unplug or turn off anything you don't want powered by generator or will overload your generator.
- Plug in your generator cord to appliance outlet and turn on generator.

This will back feed your house and everything that is left on in the breaker panel.

Last edited by K001; 07-23-2019 at 9:13 AM..
Old 07-23-2019, 5:15 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
I've been on my own generator quest for a while, and got some unfortunate news yesterday after locating a couple of potential generators.
I've been trying to find a relatively simple(read that is cheap/iinexpensive) way to connect the generator to the house wiring.
In my research, I found a breaker interlock system that looked simple enough for me to do. But, it won't work with my breaker box.
Even worse, during my research, I found that my house at one time was "upgraded", due to the addition of a roof mount A/C, with a new breaker box. A Sylvania Zinisco made box. Which apparently is now considered a fire hazard and should be replaced.
So, if I get my generator, I'm back to using drop cords and no A/C(and heater) unless I get a new breaker box in stalled.
This after I found a couple of decent generators at a very good price. So, right now it appears that my options are two. #1) Get the generator/s now just to get started being prepared, and use drop cords. Or #2) Hold off on the generators until I get the box replaced.

Links that might help.

https://www.diy-experts.net/wattage-calculator/

https://www.instructables.com/id/Eas...-Home-Hook-Up/

http://www.nooutage.com/interlock_kits.htm
Get the generator now.
Old 07-23-2019, 7:32 AM
Rattlesnake Hunter
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Good thread gentlemen ... thank you
......GO HERE FOR--► My YouTube Channel
Old 07-23-2019, 8:51 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I just kill the main breaker and plug in the "suicide cord", I'm not sure what the big deal is. But you do have to be smarter than the cord.
Old 07-23-2019, 9:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
I just kill the main breaker and plug in the "suicide cord", I'm not sure what the big deal is. But you do have to be smarter than the cord.
Thats the problem...
Old 07-24-2019, 6:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
Get the generator now.
Agreed. I had a Zinsco main panel and replaced it about 10 years ago. I didn't want that fire hazard. I had already moved the main breaker to a different position in it because the bus bars were arced and melted.

Not to mention replacement Zinsco breakers are astronomically expensive.

Get the generator now. You can use cords until you figure out a replacement panel/interlock solution.
Old 07-24-2019, 10:03 AM

Quote:
The exposed male prongs on the "suicide cord" are "hot" meaning they have the full electrical potential of the generator across them and could kill you in an instant. It would be best in plug-in the "suicide cord" (generator output cord with male prongs) before starting the generator. Of course, realize this wiring set-up is against every electrical code standard in the world - and for good reason. Proceed at your own risk.

Hidden female prongs are used on power source plugs to prevent the user from accidentally coming into contact with them.

And yes, i am an electrical engineer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
Today's so called republican conservatives are far more liberal than a 1960's democrat. No way would a 1960's democrat put up with this nonsense.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:50 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport View Post
The exposed male prongs on the "suicide cord" are "hot" meaning they have the full electrical potential of the generator across them and could kill you in an instant. It would be best in plug-in the "suicide cord" (generator output cord with male prongs) before starting the generator. Of course, realize this wiring set-up is against every electrical code standard in the world - and for good reason. Proceed at your own risk.

Hidden female prongs are used on power source plugs to prevent the user from accidentally coming into contact with them.

In my setup, I have a 'generator inlet box' similar to this mounted below my main panel. The generator end of the cord has male prongs and the other end has female prongs to connect to the panel and generator breaker. No suicide cord needed.

Old 07-24-2019, 1:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newport View Post

Said the same in my post #84 above and no, I am not an engineer :')

Last edited by K001; 07-25-2019 at 8:37 AM..
Old 07-24-2019, 1:46 PM

Y'all are gonna get some poor lineman killed.
Hire a pro, pay his asking price & use an automatic transfer switch

Confirmed Domestic Terrorist & NRA Member

tiocfaidh ár lá
Bobby Sands
Old 07-24-2019, 1:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer61 View Post
Y'all are gonna get some poor lineman killed.
Hire a pro, pay his asking price & use an automatic transfer switch
Mechanical interlock on the main breaker is cheap, simple and 100% effective.

I'm not gonna kill anyone.
Old 07-25-2019, 4:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Agreed. But, without being able to attach to the house wiring, in a safe manner, I can't run my central A/C dual pack. I would need to get a window mount, which I don't have a problem with. Except that my living room has no window.
I have both an A/C and a swamp style cooler. So, I can install a short wire, with plug, to my MasterCool swamp cooler, and that would work off the suicide cord. But, if the power outage happened during monsoonal season like we are having now, it will be almost as miserable inside my house as outside. Swamp coolers are good for about 20* on a good day, though they put a lot of moisture in the air. So, on a day like today it would be about 90* inside the house. Doable, but not likable.
Old 07-25-2019, 5:40 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailormilan2 View Post
Agreed. But, without being able to attach to the house wiring, in a safe manner, I can't run my central A/C dual pack. I would need to get a window mount, which I don't have a problem with. Except that my living room has no window.
I have both an A/C and a swamp style cooler. So, I can install a short wire, with plug, to my MasterCool swamp cooler, and that would work off the suicide cord. But, if the power outage happened during monsoonal season like we are having now, it will be almost as miserable inside my house as outside. Swamp coolers are good for about 20* on a good day, though they put a lot of moisture in the air. So, on a day like today it would be about 90* inside the house. Doable, but not likable.
Get a portable air conditioner. They vent thru a hose. If your handy with tools. You could make a small vent for the exhaust hose. You will need at least 10000btu portable air conditioner.
And they have a dehumidify mode. I have 8000btu units for the bedroom. At night I use the dehumidify mode. Nice dry air for sleeping.

Last edited by baih777; 07-25-2019 at 6:52 AM..
Old 07-25-2019, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by baih777 View Post
Get a portable air conditioner. They vent thru a hose. If your handy with tools. You could make a small vent for the exhaust hose. You will need at least 10000btu portable air conditioner.
Cool. Thanks.