Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 08-06-2019, 1:27 PM

Advocate for more than 3 firearms on our CCW and a decent CCW carrying card.
Old 08-06-2019, 3:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalsh View Post
This
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined.... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun."- Patrick Henry
ActiveJunky sign-up referral link: https://www.activejunky.com/invite/132380
Mr.Rebates sign-up referral link:
http://www.mrrebates.com?refid=1034188
Old 08-06-2019, 3:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwalsh View Post
This. I don't mind paying an extra few bucks to have a legit looking card as opposed to a laminated piece of paper.
Old 08-06-2019, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
More than three firearms can be listed and qualifying for a class of firearms instead of every firearm you wish to CCW. For instance you qualify with a .45 semi, you’re good to add any semi of equal or lesser caliber without re-qualifying.
Different firearms shoot very differently. Qualifying with a 1911 should not mean that a person can qualify with a P380 or a lightweight .357 revolver.
Old 08-06-2019, 4:02 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParadigmGuy View Post
Different firearms shoot very differently. Qualifying with a 1911 should not mean that a person can qualify with a P380 or a lightweight .357 revolver.

I don't mind if they break it down a bit more, but should be able to identify a few classes of handguns such that we are not going through the qualify each and every one each and every time when one can demonstrate proficiency over and over.

You get a driver license I don't have to do a drive test for every car I buy.

If I want to switch from a Shield 9mm to a G42 .380, I'd like to just list it and pay the fee. Well rather not pay the fee but so be it.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 08-06-2019, 4:44 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
a class of firearms instead of every firearm you wish to CCW. For instance you qualify with a .45 semi, you’re good to add any semi of equal or lesser caliber without re-qualifying.
Thats not his call. It's spelled out in the Penal Code (PC 26155(3)) that you must qualify with each firearm.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Old 08-06-2019, 4:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by baggss View Post
Thats not his call. It's spelled out in the Penal Code (PC 26155(3)) that you must qualify with each firearm.
Well crap.
Ok it is what it is, and it is not Arizona. LOL

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 08-06-2019, 4:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
This. I don't mind paying an extra few bucks to have a legit looking card as opposed to a laminated piece of paper.
Yeah agreed. Mine is laminated and folded, it actually reduces how much I can keep in my wallet as it never squished so great.

Old 08-06-2019, 5:02 PM

Quote:
I don't mind if they break it down a bit more, but should be able to identify a few classes of handguns such that we are not going through the qualify each and every one each and every time when one can demonstrate proficiency over and over.

You get a driver license I don't have to do a drive test for every car I buy.

If I want to switch from a Shield 9mm to a G42 .380, I'd like to just list it and pay the fee. Well rather not pay the fee but so be it.
If you get a driver's license, you still need a different one to ride a motorcycle, and a different one to drive a large truck or a bus.
Old 08-06-2019, 5:10 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
If you get a driver's license, you still need a different one to ride a motorcycle, and a different one to drive a large truck or a bus.
Sure I agree with that, I just think handguns can be similar.
Anyways looks like it's not something that will change regardless.

Old 08-06-2019, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanHunter View Post
Sheriff Gore is a friend. If there’s anything you guys want me to advocate for let me know.

Tell him thanks for what he’s doing for CCWs in San Diego County.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-06-2019, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Sheriff Gore is a friend. If there’s anything you guys want me to advocate for let me know.
How about more than 3 firearms on the permit?

If you could pass along this along, it would great. Because the number of different weapons has nothing to do with the need for the permit.

Those circumstances vary from person to person and their individual GC situations. There is no reason to limit it to only 3. Riverside County allows 6 and Orange County has unlimited firearms on the CCW.

Just quantify for the firearm. That's all that should matter.

Last edited by GlockUnCut; 08-06-2019 at 8:49 PM..
Old 08-08-2019, 2:22 PM

See what I can do. Will give him a ring over the weekend or talk to him in person. He is genuinely a good dude and isn’t hyper politicized like some other electeds.
Old 08-08-2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Yup, Arizona's is a good example. Normal looking card with a little hologram thingy. Looks like a real permit. This one reminds me of my laminated pool pass that I used to have back in the 80's.
Old 08-08-2019, 4:15 PM

I was a lobbyist in a previous life and still run a majority of the Gov Affairs for my company. Know all the SD politicians and influencers. Issue is the county is turning more and more blue. Next mayor almost certainly Dem. Having fundraisers for a couple. Will feel them out on guns
Old 08-08-2019, 6:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I was a lobbyist in a previous life and still run a majority of the Gov Affairs for my company. Know all the SD politicians and influencers. Issue is the county is turning more and more blue. Next mayor almost certainly Dem. Having fundraisers for a couple. Will feel them out on guns

Honestly, where in America has CCW ever been the problem critics claim it will be? Wild West!!! Just not the case.

I would think by the time that happens if it happens, there will have been many more issued without any high profile negative incidents.
Plus there has been no public outcry against of note.

Last edited by CessnaDriver; 08-08-2019 at 7:02 PM..
Old 08-08-2019, 9:55 PM

The following is from:

random_user

A new user who can't post yet. At his request, I am posting his experience with the process. Hopefully, others will find this in-depth report useful.

------------------------------------

I recently went through the CCW process and was given an approval. Here's what my experience was like:

*1st phone call:* Called the sheriff's office to set up the appointment. The woman on the phone scheduled me for about 8 months out. But, about ~45 days later, I got a call saying there were earlier openings and I could get in within the next couple of weeks. This seems to mirror the experience that 2 of my friends who have gone through this process also had. So even though they say it'll be many months out, you may likely actually be able to get in within just a couple of months.

*1st interview:* Brought in my completed application (even though the application itself says not to fill out beforehand, I was instructed by the woman on the phone to just go ahead and fill it out), along with a printout of my Good Cause statement, and a few other pieces of identifying information.

My GC was related around crime around my home neighborhood, as well as my work neighborhood. I outlined a few instances of first hand (a couple of sketchy situations I’ve been in) and second hand experiences (from friends and coworkers that have been in sketchy situations in the same areas) of crime manifesting around those areas.

Regarding the GC statement, in my estimation (from my own experience, the experience of 2 friends who have been approved, and from reading the examples on the SDGCO website), they don't seem to be extremely rigid about it. They just want you to put some sort of honest effort into describing your situation, as opposed to just writing a sentence that says "I want to exercise my 2nd amendment right, give me a permit." You/I may not agree with that, but it is what it is, so my advice is to put in some effort, and just follow the process, if you want a chance of being approved.

During the first interview, the woman that I was interviewing with asked me some general questions as she typed out some stuff on her computer. When going over my good cause, it seemed like she was really trying to ask me details in a way that she knew would sound good on the application (that is, it seemed like she was genuinely trying to help me out/word my situation out in a way she knew would give me the best chance possible of being approved). She was a clerk, not a deputy.

At the end of the first interview, she scheduled me for a 2nd interview, and gave me a list of what I'd need to bring with me (last 2 pay stubs, employers contact #, 2 proofs of residency, fees, etc). She had me take my application/GC statement/etc home with me (they get submitted on the 2nd interview, not the 1st). My 2nd interview was scheduled about a month later.

Regarding the employer contact — she explicitly asked, and I told her that my work was not asking/requiring me to get a CCW. Regardless, they are going to call your employer, but they’ll ask you for the contact. I gave her the contact of one of my higher-ups that I know, and know isn’t an anti-gunner/scaredy cat. And I asked him before hand if he’d be okay with me giving his number to the sheriff/if he was willing to confirm my employment. You probably don’t want to just put in your main office line and have the sheriff call your HR representative when they aren’t expecting it. They did call him and he confirmed my employment.

*2nd interview:* For the 2nd interview, she (I had the same woman as the 1st interview, but I don’t think this is guaranteed) basically just went back over everything to make sure all of the information was correct, and copied all of the documents that I brought in. She then took my fingerprints to start the LiveScan. Afterwards, I went to back to the front counter to pay my initial fees. Finally, after paying, she took a few photos of me. After that, she said to wait 90 days and I'd hear back via email as to whether or not I was approved.

*After 2nd interview:* During this time, I received an email from a deputy asking me for crime statistics for the areas I outlined in my GC (home and work). I went to crimemapping.com and shot him over a couple of the “shareable” links for the areas in question. He said that was adequate and he’d let me know if he needed anything else (I never heard from him again after that).

Also, an officer/license staff visited my apartment to confirm my address. I wasn't home at the time and she left a business card in my door. I gave her a call once I came home and found it, and the return phone call was adequate proof for her.

I know 2 people who have gone through this process successfully, who never sent crime maps / were never asked about them, nor did they ever get a home visit. I think I was under a little more scrutiny because I'm fairly young compared to what I imagine the average applicant's age is, and they were doing a little more due diligence to make sure I wasn't some dishonest little pisser. But that's just my speculation.

Beyond those 2 instances, I never heard from them again.

About 40 days after my 2nd interview, I was emailed with an approval letter. Attached to the email is the list of approved trainers in the area, in which you have 30 days from the approval email's date to take the class and qualify with your firearms. They ask that you respond to the email once you get it to verify that you received it and understand your responsibility to take the class.

And that's where I'm at. I've got a class scheduled. Once I complete it and successfully qualify with my firearms, I just need to call and set up a final time to come in with my certifications, pay the final fee, and retrieve my permit.

Overall, the process wasn’t that bad. Obviously I’d prefer if it was as simple as just going in, paying a fee, and getting a permit like a lot of other states. But the fact is that we are all well aware we live in a state with an overall anti-gun sentiment, and so the fact that we still have viable means of being approved to legally carry — if you put in some effort and wait time — … hey man, it’s better than nothing.

I’d also like to give some kudos to the San Diego County Gun Owners (and it’s supporters) for largely making this positive shift possible.

Last edited by GlockUnCut; 08-08-2019 at 9:59 PM..
Old 08-08-2019, 10:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
CCWs are the #1 2nd A issue people care about. Issue CCWs liberally and more non-gunnies become handgun owners and defenders of their CCWs.

Eventually they branch out into shotguns and/or rifles. Then they become full fledged 2nd A activists, regardless of their party!

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif
Old 08-08-2019, 10:09 PM

Im at day 47 with no email or letter :/
Old 08-09-2019, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
The following is from:

random_user

A new user who can't post yet. At his request, I am posting his experience with the process. Hopefully, others will find this in-depth report useful.

Looks like I'm able to post now.

Thanks @GlockUnCut for posting that message for me.

I'm happy to answer any questions you guys may have regarding the process.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D16er View Post
Im at day 47 with no email or letter :/
The timeline seems to be different for everyone (not really sure how/why that is). I'm fairly certain that they must respond to you within 90 days with their final determination, whether approved or not (penal code 26202). Hopefully you get approved. But you will know one way or the other soon enough.

If you think you had a decently written GC statement, don't have any criminal record/other disqualifying attributes, and didn't said anything that raised any red flags with the interviewer, then it seems to me you'll have a decent shot of being approved.

Good luck!

Last edited by random_user; 08-09-2019 at 12:42 AM..
Old 08-11-2019, 7:24 PM

Default Anybody get approved for training in August?

Has anyone gotten the go ahead for training this month so far?

Rob
Old 08-11-2019, 7:36 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymez619 View Post

Amen
Old 08-11-2019, 7:41 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by random_user View Post
Looks like I'm able to post now.

Thanks @GlockUnCut for posting that message for me.

I'm happy to answer any questions you guys may have regarding the process.
That was a great post. Appreciate you taking the time to put that together (and for GUC for posting it).

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 08-12-2019, 6:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casual_Shooter View Post
That was a great post. Appreciate you taking the time to put that together (and for GUC for posting it).
No worries man. I've gotten a lot of great information from this thread, thought I'd give some back.
Old 08-13-2019, 4:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1559 View Post
Has anyone gotten the go ahead for training this month so far?

Rob
I'm currently scheduling both a 1-on-1 private handgun training session with William (Bill) Desy at CCW USA for next week, as well as the required 8hr CCW (group) class with him the week after that.

My friend who was also approved for his CCW took his required class with him, said that he was good, and referred me to him.

I'll report back with my experiences.

Last edited by random_user; 08-13-2019 at 4:19 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 5:15 PM

Quote:
I'm currently scheduling both a 1-on-1 private handgun training session with William (Bill) Desy at CCW USA for next week, as well as the required 8hr CCW (group) class with him the week after that.

My friend who was also approved for his CCW took his required class with him, said that he was good, and referred me to him.

So you got your e-mail approval for training in August? Or did you get the email earlier?

Rob
Old 08-13-2019, 5:50 PM

Quote:
So you got your e-mail approval for training in August? Or did you get the email earlier?

Rob
My approval letter was sent to me this month (August).

(I'm sorry if I seem unwilling about giving exact dates, but I'm not really interested in giving exactly clear identifiable information about myself)

When they send you your approval letter, they will attach a PDF with all of the county's "verified CCW instructors." That attachment will consist of around 3 dozen approved trainers/training facilities within the San Diego County area.

From the date that they send you that email, it's up to you to schedule a class with one of those trainers within 30 days.

Some of them are booked up and you won't be able to get a spot, others won't be. It's up to you to figure it out and take your 8hr course from their approved list within 30 days of an approval letter.

What is your status? Have you applied and are waiting for an approval?

Last edited by random_user; 08-13-2019 at 5:53 PM..
Old 08-13-2019, 6:03 PM

Quote:

BIG Thumbs UP on Bill Desy. He's fantastic!
Old 08-13-2019, 6:05 PM

Default Still waiting

I’m at day 52 since I submitted my app, good cause and supporting reports. Earlier I saw a lot of people posting on this forum that they were getting approvals then there was a dry spell. Quite a few reported less than 40 days. For me, no visit from a deputy to verify residence, no call to verify employment and no questions or requests for additional paperwork.

Rob
Old 08-13-2019, 6:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnCut View Post
BIG Thumbs UP on Bill Desy. He's fantastic!
I used him for mu Utah and Arizona training years ago when he was teaching at American Shooting Center. Great class. I'd recommend him as well.
Old 08-13-2019, 7:46 PM

Quote:
I’m at day 52 since I submitted my app, good cause and supporting reports. Earlier I saw a lot of people posting on this forum that they were getting approvals then there was a dry spell. Quite a few reported less than 40 days. For me, no visit from a deputy to verify residence, no call to verify employment and no questions or requests for additional paperwork.

Rob
Yeah, unfortunately it's hard for me to say, since I don't really know their process behind the scenes. If you're at 52 days after your 2nd interview, then you and I had our 2nd interviews pretty close to each other.

This is all my speculation — but what I imagine is that every week, they get together and review the applicants on that weeks docket; and possibly, if the approval board is all a "yes" for a certain applicant, then they'll move that through and give that person their approval. But if the applicant is a "maybe" amongst some of the people on the review board for some reason, or your background investigation is taking longer than usual for some reason, then that may be why you're still being processed.

It could even possibly be a catch-22 type of situation, where because you sent in certain pieces of supporting documentation (which is what they ask for), they are taking more time to verify the veracity of that information.

Do you have anything in your recorded history that may give them pause? (I have absolutely nothing on my record beyond a speeding ticket when I was 16 on the other side of the country)

Again — I have absolutely no idea what goes on behind the scenes here. There might not even be a "board" and it's just one guy behind a desk saying yes/no for all I know (but I'm not really inclined to believe that since I've spoken to 4 different people through the process).

I'd just sit tight and wait for a response, and if gets to be really close to the 90 day mark, then maybe give them a call and ask for an update. But it's really up to you to decide what you think the best course of action is from here.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Last edited by random_user; 08-13-2019 at 8:06 PM..
Old 08-15-2019, 2:04 PM

I'm not totally sure but believe that the panel meets on Wednesday's to review packets, I hope you all here something soon!!
Old 08-17-2019, 7:13 PM

Just happened to make my way to the Glock Store this fine Saturday afternoon. There they were about 13 or more people taking their CCW training with Bill Desy leading his class in room #2. A lot of enthusiastic Cal gunners attending to their 2A business and having fun doing it. When I think about, the whole scene it just made total sense to me. People learning to arming themselves and getting comfortable with this right to defend ones self with a firearm. Awesome
Old 08-17-2019, 7:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Happy to hear the sheep mindset losing some ground.

Spread the word far and wide is all I can say.

Old 08-19-2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymez619 View Post

Like what? Still requiring an unreasonable "good cause?" Were I in Riverside or SB counties I wouldn't need Gore's arbitrary "good cause." Peruta wouldn't have been necessary if Gore was as "liberal" as other county Sheriffs. I got my AZ permit in 7 days; the entire process via mail.

Until Gore opens up, to me he's still anti-2nd amendment. No, I haven't applied as I'm sure my "good cause" won't be good enough.

I hope to be proven wrong.
Old 08-19-2019, 4:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Bruh, do you ever go for walks on the beach at night or go hiking twice a month? Lmfao
Old 08-19-2019, 4:28 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCarpenter View Post
Bruh, do you ever go for walks on the beach at night or go hiking twice a month? Lmfao
There are a few mental cases who still haven't applied ... and it's just as well. The last thing we need is those drama queens screwing it up for everyone else when they get wrapped so tight they snap.

Just smile and add them to your Ignore List.

FWIW, when Gore updates his CCW webpage with new total in a week, he should be coming in right about 3,000 CCWs. While that is far short from what we want it, it will have increased by ~10X in just the past 2 years.

https://www.sdsheriff.net/licensing/ccw.html

230+ examples of CCWs Saving Lives.

KnifeRights.org/images/KRbanner_468x60-1.gif

Last edited by Paladin; 08-19-2019 at 4:32 PM..
Old 08-19-2019, 4:45 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

@ezaircon4jc Read my recap. Basically all I and my friends who have been accepted said was "there is crime in the areas that I frequent." That was good enough. If you're a person who exists and goes outside of your home in San Diego, I'm positive you can write an acceptable good cause statement. I wouldn't believe that was possible a year ago either, but times have really changed.

Just write a couple damn paragraphs. You'll be surprised. But if you go into it with the mindset of being aggressive against their process, you're asking to be rejected.

I wish the process was easier too. But would you rather say "screw Gore and his rules" and leave yourself unarmed? Or follow the process and get yourself the ability to protect yourself and your family?

You can still fight the good fight after doing the latter.

Last edited by random_user; 08-19-2019 at 4:57 PM..
Old 08-19-2019, 5:21 PM
Ban Hammer Avoidance Team
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Location: Did you notice how far over I've moved this part of my info? You should try it, it's fun.

Quote:
FWIW- At the San Diego County Gun Owners CCW seminars, they recommend using something other than hiking unless you have detailed information regarding your hikes: maps, permits, pictures etc.

And, even then, they recommend something else.

"Those who cannot remember the posts are condemned to repeat them"

I wish I had a dollar for every time someone used a cliché

Why is it all the funny stuff happens to comedians?
Old 08-19-2019, 5:47 PM

Quote:
Exactly.

@ezaircon4jc Read my recap. Basically all I and my friends who have been accepted said was "there is crime in the areas that I frequent." That was good enough. If you're a person who exists and goes outside of your home in San Diego, I'm positive you can write an acceptable good cause statement. I wouldn't believe that was possible a year ago either, but times have really changed.

Just write a couple damn paragraphs. You'll be surprised. But if you go into it with the mindset of being aggressive against their process, you're asking to be rejected.

I wish the process was easier too. But would you rather say "screw Gore and his rules" and leave yourself unarmed? Or follow the process and get yourself the ability to protect yourself and your family?

You can still fight the good fight after doing the latter.
I'm not at all hostile or aggressive against the process. The last thing I want is to go through the process and get denied. Then what? How long will it be before I can reasonably apply? I GREATLY appreciated your post!

I'm retired and live in a relatively nice area so I can easily avoid high-crime areas. My plan was using church security and my rural walk as GC. The coyotes have been very bold of late and I've seen them out along my walk at noon! I haven't been able to shoot for a year or so anyway, so once I'm able to get in some practice I'll start the process.