Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 02-03-2017, 9:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post
Is it a good idea to have my friends in law enforcement write the character letters? Or does it not really matter.
I don't think it would help or hurt. As far as I know they don't contact the references at all. Don't even understand why it's a requirement. Is someone really going to submit a negative reference letter?

Just be sure they specifically state that the letter is for a CCW permit. That seems to be the biggest issue on the references.

Good luck!
Old 02-03-2017, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGunGuns View Post
I don't think it would help or hurt. As far as I know they don't contact the references at all. Don't even understand why it's a requirement. Is someone really going to submit a negative reference letter?

Just be sure they specifically state that the letter is for a CCW permit. That seems to be the biggest issue on the references.

Good luck!
Great. Thank you.
Old 02-03-2017, 3:54 PM

Does anyone have a link or tell me where can I find the packets to print.

Also what do you guys think about this.....
Good Cause. I have a few.... please let me know what you think.
1. I flip houses for a living. I go into some sketchy houses and I have walked in on squatters.
2. My son is in law enforcement and we have had a few issues with locals threatening us.
3. I'm president of a booster club and handle/transport lots of cash.
Old 02-03-2017, 4:07 PM

mikef, if, by packet, you mean the CCW application, here it is. Good luck, Ron

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/CCWFAQ.aspx
Old 02-03-2017, 4:48 PM

Is there anyway at all to do the livescan in advance since there is a 6 month wait?
Old 02-03-2017, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron91710 View Post
mikef, if, by packet, you mean the CCW application, here it is. Good luck, Ron

http://cms.sbcounty.gov/sheriff/CCWFAQ.aspx
Yes. Perfect. Thank you.
Old 02-03-2017, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef View Post
Yes. Perfect. Thank you.
mikef, I thought you were in San Bernardino county and that link I gave is for that county. If you are in Riverside county... it's no good. Sorry
Old 02-03-2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron91710 View Post
mikef, I thought you were in San Bernardino county and that link I gave is for that county. If you are in Riverside county... it's no good. Sorry
Yes. But I got it figured out. Thank you.
Old 02-03-2017, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
Sounds like me. I have decades of experience with all types of weapons, but except for basic hunter safety when I was a teen, I had no formal training. That doesn't mean I am not proficient in the least. I specifically asked the deputies in the CCW unit in Riverside this. They said that was not a problem. I think they are just making sure you have basic gun safety knowledge. I did my qualification at Ben Clark. You can read about it here. Pretty scary at times. Several people came there with the "price tag still hanging from the gun" as the deputies described it.
At my qual, there was a couple there who had clearly cut the price tag off in the parking lot. At one point, the deputy running the qual told her, "Ma'am, if you do not keep your finger off the trigger, I will fail you."
Old 02-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Well, it finally happened. I was made last night. Took the girlfriend to riverside plaza for dinner and we decided to see a movie at the regal theater. Got tickets went inside. As we were in the theater going down the hallway I hear " excuse me sir" turn around and it's an open carrying security guard. Without hesitation he asks me if I'm carrying. I tell him I have a permit. He says I can stay if I remove my firearm and leave it in the car.but regal cinemas is private property. I respectfully decline and ask for a refund of my tickets which I get. As he is walking us out I ask how in the hell did he make me, as I was wearing an iwb holster and 2 layers of clothing (shirt and jacket) and never made any moves to adjust my pants or belt. He said "I'm trained to spot them" I shook his hand and left and made it a redbox night. Never once did I see a no firearms sign even though he told me it was posted, I looked after I got out and didn't see anything.
Just thought I would share my experience last night. I kind of felt like an outcast. I mean, wouldn't he want me there in case of a crisis?
End of rant-
Old 02-04-2017, 10:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDNINER View Post
He said "I'm trained to spot them"
And, you must train to not be spotted. It would have been informative to press him on exactly what tipped the scales. (Maybe he saw the badge? )
Quote:
Originally Posted by XDNINER View Post
I mean, wouldn't he want me there in case of a crisis?
Nope. The theater has armed guards inside. If a crisis arises, how would he know to not shoot you? You're just another "man with a gun".
Old 02-04-2017, 5:46 PM

Went through the requal class/range day today. Very smooth as others have posted. The deputies are very pro CCW and extremely helpful. They want everyone to be safe on the range, but they will work with you and help you to a certain extent. They aren't looking to nitpick and fail people, they just want a safe range. Listen to their instructions and if there is ANYTHING you do not clearly understand, ask for clarification. Otherwise, do what you're told, when you're told and you will have zero issues.

As someone else mentioned - bring your own body armor if you can. It will really speed up your qual time. I was able to cycle through my three guns well before my buddy even shot twice. If you have your three mags loaded and ready, you just swap guns and mags at the bench area where you left your gear and end up shooting every other cycle. If you're on a time crunch, or just have better things to do, it's worth the investment.

I used an AlienGear IWB holster for two of my guns and a custom kydex OWB holster for my last gun. As long as you don't have your weapon tucked into your BVDs, you should be okay with most any holster you can safely operate.

I took four mags per gun. Three pre loaded to 6 rounds each, one empty mag for the function check. This sped things up for me.

While you only need 18 rounds per semi auto (5 or 6 x3 for your wheel gun), it doesn't hurt to have extra in case you have an off day and don't qualify the first time through with that little .380 you haven't ever practiced with. Or you could just be a cool guy and help someone else out who is short on ammo for whatever reason.

Class went right at 4 hours, maybe a few minutes less. I was in the back 1/3 of those lined up for function checks after lunches, but easily finished three guns in 45 minutes (had my own armor, mags pre loaded).

Keep an open mind, listen to instructions, ask questions if you need to, and try to have a good time.

Last edited by VintageDUG; 02-04-2017 at 8:10 PM..
Old 02-04-2017, 7:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageDUG View Post
Went through the requal class/range day today. Very smooth as others have posted. The deputies are very pro CCW and extremely helpful. They want everyone to be safe on the range, but they will work with you and help you to a certain extent. They aren't looking to nitpick and fail people, they just want a safe range. Listen to their instructions and if there is ANYTHING you do not clearly understand, ask for clarification. Otherwise, do what you're told, when you're told and you will have zero issues.

As someone else mentioned - bring your own body armor if you can. It will really speed up your qual time. I was able to cycle through my three guns well before my buddy even shot twice. If you have your three mags loaded and ready, you just swap guns and mags at the bench area where you left your gear and end up shooting every other cycle. If you're on a time crunch, or just have better things to do, it's worth the investment.

I used an AlienGear IWB holster for two of my guns and a custom kydex OWB holster for my last gun. As long as you don't have your weapon tucked into your BVDs, you should be okay with most any holster you can safely operate.

I took four mags per gun. Three pre loaded to 6 rounds each, one empty mag for the function check. This sped things up for me.

While you only need 18 rounds per semi auto (5 or 6 for your wheel gun), it doesn't hurt to have extra in case you have an off day and don't qualify the first time through with that little .380 you haven't ever practiced with. Or you could just be a cool guy and help someone else out who is short on ammo for whatever reason.

Class went right at 4 hours, maybe a few minutes less. I was in the back 1/3 of those lined up for function checks after lunches, but easily finished three guns in 45 minutes (had my own armor, mags pre loaded).

Keep an open mind, listen to instructions, ask questions if you need to, and try to have a good time.
Same experience for me. I couldn't understand why people didn't have magazines loaded. I went for the function check, went back to the bench grabbed 3 loaded mags and proceeded to the line while others were still loading mags.
Old 02-04-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:

While you only need 18 rounds per semi auto (5 or 6 x3 for your wheel gun), it doesn't hurt to have extra in case you have an off day and don't qualify the first time through with that little .380 you haven't ever practiced with. Or you could just be a cool guy and help someone else out who is short on ammo for whatever reason.

Are holsters optional?

sent from aPhone
Old 02-05-2017, 7:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbphung View Post
Are holsters optional?

sent from aPhone
No. You must use a holster, but they are not super strict on the type.
Old 02-05-2017, 8:11 PM

I've read a lot of CG members classifying their buisiness by carrying a lot of money as your GC. Are you guys restricted to only be allowed to carry while doing business? I am considering to apply, however my GC is on the weekends a few times a month. If I am approved, will I be limited to those times I can carry?
Old 02-06-2017, 12:14 PM

Default CCW Riverside Livescan

I went through the training as well this past Sat at Ben Clark. I must say it was a fun class. All the Deputies are Pro CCW and are there to help you. Please make notes of the previous post which gives you all the info you will need!

One thing that I thought I would share...Deputy Yezzo mentioned that Livescans have been speeding up. They are currently at 2-3 months.

Good Luck!
Old 02-06-2017, 8:28 PM

I heard that in order to get your ccw you must provide the sheriff your bank account showing you have minimum 5000$ or own a home? Is this true?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-07-2017, 7:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javier1922 View Post
I heard that in order to get your ccw you must provide the sheriff your bank account showing you have minimum 5000$ or own a home? Is this true?

LOL, that's a good one. Never heard that before.
Old 02-07-2017, 7:35 AM

Do the holster need to have a strap or can they just have a friction lock?

Old 02-07-2017, 7:37 AM

Quote:

Where did you go for the training?

Old 02-07-2017, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Do the holster need to have a strap or can they just have a friction lock?

The only one they will not allow is the serpa holster, as long as it keep your gun in place and it's safe to draw from they don't mind.
Old 02-07-2017, 1:56 PM

Quote:
Where did you go for the training?

Ben Clark
Old 02-07-2017, 8:40 PM

Quote:
No. You must be thinking of Los Angeles County. There you have to give the Sheriff the $5000, and your house. Then, maybe, you might get a CCW.
Old 02-08-2017, 10:17 AM

What is up with those supplemental questions which do not apply to a Yes or No answer? When was the last time you were in a physical fight? Lost control of your temper? how many drinks do you have on average per week? Really? These questions seem like entrapment and illegal

USN 2000-2004
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) WestPac 2002
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Old 02-08-2017, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvelas2A View Post
What is up with those supplemental questions which do not apply to a Yes or No answer? When was the last time you were in a physical fight? Lost control of your temper? how many drinks do you have on average per week? Really? These questions seem like entrapment and illegal

You are probably correct that they are illegal. So hire a lawyer and take it to the Supreme Court. Or you can do like we all did and just answer them truthfully, and get your CCW.
Old 02-08-2017, 12:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What is up with those supplemental questions which do not apply to a Yes or No answer? When was the last time you were in a physical fight? Lost control of your temper? how many drinks do you have on average per week? Really? These questions seem like entrapment and illegal.
They are not "entrapment". The questions don't lead you to commit a crime. See CALCRIM 3408 https://www.justia.com/criminal/docs...400/3408.html)
Quote:
A person is entrapped if a law enforcement officer [or (his/her) agent] engaged in conduct that would cause a normally law-abiding person to commit the crime.

Another example of entrapment would be conduct that would make commission of the crime unusually attractive to a normally law-abiding person. Such conduct might include a guarantee that the act is not illegal or that the offense would go undetected, an offer of extraordinary benefit, or other similar conduct..
They are not illegal. See PC 26175(g) (See: http://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-co....dXBVeAtb.dpuf):
Quote:
(g) An applicant shall not be required to complete any additional application or form for a license, or to provide any information other than that necessary to complete the standard application form described in subdivision (a), except to clarify or interpret information provided by the applicant on the standard application form.

Last edited by Dvrjon; 02-08-2017 at 12:29 PM..
Old 02-09-2017, 2:15 AM

Quote:
I've been in a physical fight. I've lost my temper. I drink booze. Answered honestly and still got a ccw. If these questions are too much, move to LA and get your ccw there.
Old 02-09-2017, 7:35 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
What is up with those supplemental questions which do not apply to a Yes or No answer?
Suggested answers to smooth your way:

1. When was the last time you were in a physical fight?
In about 10 seconds.

2. Lost control of your temper?
In about 5 seconds.

3. How many drinks do you have on average per week?
I don't know. I just put the bottle in the bag and drink until it's empty.
Old 02-09-2017, 8:54 AM

Some of the responses were funny and others, like wow, really chill out. I had already answered them truthfully, I was just expressing my thoughts and frustration regarding them.

On a different note, I have my initial appointment this morning so I will keep everyone informed. Stay safe!

USN 2000-2004
USS Abraham Lincoln (CVN-72) WestPac 2002
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
Old 02-09-2017, 5:18 PM

Default Good Cause Advice

New to Calguns. I have my CCW appointment later this year but I am trying to get everything together ahead of time so that I can walk in with everything as complete and as solid as possible. Is there anyone who is willing to help or give advice with good cause statement in a PM?
Old 02-09-2017, 6:14 PM

No one is making you answer anything. Toss out the supplemental questions and see if Yezzo or the new deputy will approve your ccw.

Quote:
Old 02-09-2017, 6:16 PM

The riverside county website is your best bet to have all your ducts lined up. As far as GC we have many CG here that will critique your GC. Feel free to PM them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RK79 View Post
New to Calguns. I have my CCW appointment later this year but I am trying to get everything together ahead of time so that I can walk in with everything as complete and as solid as possible. Is there anyone who is willing to help or give advice with good cause statement in a PM?
Old 02-10-2017, 6:53 AM

Thanks AidenHK. I'll scan through the thread. I think I have seen members who have offered to help with GC. I'll PM them
Old 02-13-2017, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwayneyl View Post
One thing that I thought I would share...Deputy Yezzo mentioned that Livescans have been speeding up. They are currently at 2-3 months.

Good Luck!
That would be great news. Anyone able to confirm this here?
Old 02-13-2017, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indobos72 View Post
That would be great news. Anyone able to confirm this here?
I can confirm Yezzo told the class that.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:13 PM

Quote:
I can confirm Yezzo told the class that.
Very nice! Here's hoping.

Just to give you an idea:
11-05-2016 - Livescan
Checked 2-12-2017 - 3 months - Still in process.

I will keep checking and update here if that's cool.

Thanks,
Old 02-13-2017, 3:16 PM

Default Riverside

Quote:
Originally Posted by indobos72 View Post
Very nice! Here's hoping.

Just to give you an idea:

11-05-2016 - Livescan

Checked 2-12-2017 - 3 months - Still in process.

I will keep checking and update here if that's cool.

Thanks,

Calling that number is a waste. I know several people recently that have received their call to pick up their ccw card yet the Livescan number still says "in progress". In fact, one of my friends picked up his two weeks ago and when he called the Livescan number Friday, it still says in process.
Current Livescan times are just under six months from the date you did the Livescan. There is nothing you can do to speed it up. Sorry.
Old 02-13-2017, 3:38 PM

So what were your guys "good causes?". At SBSO I said personal protection and they said here is your CCW.
Old 02-13-2017, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachtech View Post
Calling that number is a waste. I know several people recently that have received their call to pick up their ccw card yet the Livescan number still says "in progress". In fact, one of my friends picked up his two weeks ago and when he called the Livescan number Friday, it still says in process.
Current Livescan times are just under six months from the date you did the Livescan. There is nothing you can do to speed it up. Sorry.
Interesting. I keep getting the in process response. And I honestly was expecting up to 6 months as well for live scan results. But according to other forum members. Yezzo has stated that it is taking 2-3 months. So i'm confused on what to believe now.