Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Hunting and Fishing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hunting and Fishing Rifle, Shotgun, Handgun, Archery, Blackpowder Saltwater and Fresh Water

Old 02-19-2020, 2:47 PM
Calguns Addict

Default Hawaii (Maui), advice appreciated.

I'll be heading to Maui this August and am interested in squeezing a hunt in while I am there but dont really know where to start. I'd be more interested in Axis deer (looks like they won't be in season?) or wild goats more than pigs (I've killed pigs in CA).

Does anyone have input as far as needing a guide or not? I hunt everything DIY but I want to have a quality hunt since I don't know when (if ever) I'll be back.

TIA!
Old 02-19-2020, 4:00 PM

Uggghhh ... so it looks like I’m too am being “ compelled “ to attend a family gathering on that yuppie cluster eff ... what is there to do to keep my self sane s and as far away from slappies as possible
Old 02-19-2020, 4:54 PM
CGSSA Associate

I archery hunted the pigs on Maui it was 2010 on public land up high. Got a nice boar 150lbs with 4" tusk it was a great hunt I'd recommend it.
Just get your license early and bring your bow. I can't remember the details but no hunting on Sunday if I remember correctly.
And rent a jeep
Old 02-19-2020, 5:15 PM
Veteran Member

I'll be hunting on a guided trip in Kula early April. Send me a PM and I'll try to get you some info.
Old 02-19-2020, 8:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I saw 4 pigs on kawaii while on vacation
And 100,000,000 chickens.

You might chat with the Hawaii forum

https://2ahawaii.com/

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 02-20-2020, 6:39 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB View Post
I archery hunted the pigs on Maui it was 2010 on public land up high. Got a nice boar 150lbs with 4" tusk it was a great hunt I'd recommend it.
Just get your license early and bring your bow. I can't remember the details but no hunting on Sunday if I remember correctly.
And rent a jeep
Public land hunt or did you pay for a guide or trespass?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesY View Post
I'll be hunting on a guided trip in Kula early April. Send me a PM and I'll try to get you some info.
Will do, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post

You might chat with the Hawaii forum

https://2ahawaii.com/
I'll give that forum a look!
Old 02-20-2020, 12:12 PM
CGSSA Associate

Public land diy.....I'd do it again in a heart beat

The bodies are really small but the tusk are crazy big.
Definitely range them I missed a sow my first hunt, it went right over her and she took off.
The next day I had the boar walk right up too me from above my position, at 10yds I took the shot right in his lower neck/chest damn thing ran right pass me and almost fell over a 30' drop.
Old 02-21-2020, 6:44 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Public land diy.....I'd do it again in a heart beat

The bodies are really small but the tusk are crazy big.
Definitely range them I missed a sow my first hunt, it went right over her and she took off.
The next day I had the boar walk right up too me from above my position, at 10yds I took the shot right in his lower neck/chest damn thing ran right pass me and almost fell over a 30' drop.
That sounds pretty optimistic. Maybe I can just find a good public land spot and set out on foot.

Outfitters seem to be running about $3,500+ for an Axis. I am not sure that is worth it.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:46 AM
CGSSA Associate

I think it was unit E, there's a state park picnic area I started there and just walked the trails. Sow was just off the trail the boar was way above the trail in the pines.

Wear some camo and talk to some locals just remembered they don't tourist so slow down and pickup the local lingo bra!
Old 02-21-2020, 4:41 PM

Maui has several outfitters that charge around $500-$650 for day hunts of axis deer. On our last cruise a few months back, we met a newlywed guy who had a day trip paid for as a gift. He returned to the ship telling of all the deer he saw from sun up to late afternoon when he chose which one he wanted to shoot. He said the cost included butchering and shipping home of the processed meat and the outfitter would ship it after his arrival home from the cruise. Pictures looked great and he said he saw dozens of shooter bucks all throughout the day. No need for a week long hunt. the deer there have no predators and are over populating the islands. Google for outfitters who offer day hunts on private ranches.
Old 02-21-2020, 5:22 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roostersgt View Post
Maui has several outfitters that charge around $500-$650 for day hunts of axis deer. On our last cruise a few months back, we met a newlywed guy who had a day trip paid for as a gift. He returned to the ship telling of all the deer he saw from sun up to late afternoon when he chose which one he wanted to shoot. He said the cost included butchering and shipping home of the processed meat and the outfitter would ship it after his arrival home from the cruise. Pictures looked great and he said he saw dozens of shooter bucks all throughout the day. No need for a week long hunt. the deer there have no predators and are over populating the islands. Google for outfitters who offer day hunts on private ranches.
Maybe you can post those Maui outfitters because I hunt Axis Deer on Maui and I have never seen anything less that $2500
Old 02-21-2020, 7:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taperxz View Post
Maybe you can post those Maui outfitters because I hunt Axis Deer on Maui and I have never seen anything less that $2500
yes please
Old 02-21-2020, 7:52 PM
CGSSA Associate

This is were I wish the internet never began.....
Never again will I give it nfo
Old 02-21-2020, 9:16 PM
Honorary MLC
CGN Contributor

🤣😂

My last trip was under 2500 bucks TOTAL, including airfare, room, rental vehicle, and bringing my meat home.

Just because you haven't found the good deal doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

MJB, let's go hunt. 😆
Old 02-22-2020, 7:38 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think it was unit E, there's a state park picnic area I started there and just walked the trails. Sow was just off the trail the boar was way above the trail in the pines.

Wear some camo and talk to some locals just remembered they don't tourist so slow down and pickup the local lingo bra!
Much appreciated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
🤣😂

My last trip was under 2500 bucks TOTAL, including airfare, room, rental vehicle, and bringing my meat home.

MJB, let's go hunt. 😆

Do you think these hunts are pretty DIY-able? I feel like I'm an above average hunter but we all tell ourselves that lol.
Old 02-22-2020, 8:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
����

MJB, let's go hunt. ��
You didn’t hunt Maui and the OP was looking for a guided Maui hunt. Most all the Axis deer on Maui are on private land.
Old 02-22-2020, 10:03 PM
CGSSA Associate

180 call me.....I thought we have talked before......I've given old info G/B and don't want to help the bots any more so reach out

Why weren't you at the Turkey tune up at lake Sutherland?
Old 02-26-2020, 11:55 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hermosabeach View Post
On Kauai we saw four roadkill pigs. One was good size so that had to mess up a rental car. Maybe a dozen pigs we saw
Old 02-26-2020, 12:30 PM

The trick with Hawaii and hunting it are knowing the local boyz. They have more access to land than any guide could ever take you. Access is the problem, they are seriously territorial there.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:33 PM

Ive shot goats on Maui, Kauai and Big Island with a bow. As MJB stated public land is good just get up high and get your license and hunter safety card info to get the out of state licenses early.

Maui does have seasons for pigs in different zones. Make sure to contact the DLNR there to get the reg books. They shipped mine to me for free.

Last edited by CartridgeCalls; 02-26-2020 at 12:44 PM..
Old 02-26-2020, 8:33 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
180 call me.....I thought we have talked before......I've given old info G/B and don't want to help the bots any more so reach out

Why weren't you at the Turkey tune up at lake Sutherland?
I'll give you a ring! I got married and started a business. Life has been busy but I'll definitely make it out for turkey season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1meanchevy View Post
The trick with Hawaii and hunting it are knowing the local boyz. They have more access to land than any guide could ever take you. Access is the problem, they are seriously territorial there.
Funny you say that. Ran into a HI guy elk hunting in ID last year, he was super tight lipped about hunting over there. He didn't want to tell me where he was hunting elk either even though we were on the same mountain, I was there first and I prefaced it by "So we don't step on each others toes."

I guess some are just that way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CartridgeCalls View Post
Ive shot goats on Maui, Kauai and Big Island with a bow. As MJB stated public land is good just get up high and get your license and hunter safety card info to get the out of state licenses early.

Maui does have seasons for pigs in different zones. Make sure to contact the DLNR there to get the reg books. They shipped mine to me for free.
Sounds good, the more I think about it the more a goat hunt sounds pretty fun. It'll be something new and I don't have to drop the coin on an Axis.
Old 03-11-2020, 12:11 AM

Kingfisherhunting on Maui. Private land, one day and $500 per day. Sorry it took so long to respond, But I have a life.