Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 08-12-2018, 7:37 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Question C96 Recoil Spring Power Question

I bought a C96 that had a broken firing pin. The price was right and I picked up a new firing pin easily enough. I decided while I am at it, I am going to replace all of the springs with Wolff sprigs. I am trying to figure out if I should use their standard factory rating weight or their +10% for the recoil spring. I have had ejection problems in some guns by going too heavy on the recoil spring. On the other hand, the number one thing that beats these weapons up is using them with a worn recoil spring and if it would function with the heavier spring I would think it would be better for the gun.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Thoughts? Thanks.

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

- Mark Twain

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Old 08-13-2018, 7:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Buy both, start with the heavier spring and if it doesn't function reliably try the standard spring.

"Everybody dies.. the thing is, to die well' Jack Harper
Old 08-13-2018, 10:04 AM

I'd go with the standard weight spring, after all, it's not likely you're gonna' be hot-rodding the rounds.
Jon
Old 08-13-2018, 12:47 PM
Veteran Member

I recently installed a standard power Wolff spring set in one of my Broomhandles and it seems really stiff compared to older Wolff spring sets I have installed. In particular, the bolt return spring (the one that goes over the firing pin and returns the bolt to battery under spring tension) is a lot longer than ones I have purchased in the past, so it seems like Wolff may have adjusted the spring pressure for their standard weight spring set? Either way, it definitely will close the bolt to return to battery, and the hammer spring is what primarily slows the bolt down under recoil and reduces bolt rearward velocity on the bolt stop, so it should be good to go with a standard power Broomhandle spring set.
Old 08-13-2018, 3:24 PM
Administrator

Thanks guys!

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it."

- Mark Twain

Old 08-13-2018, 6:31 PM

You may look into a new bolt stop, and use that for shooting and keep the original. especially if it is an all original parts gun
Old 08-13-2018, 9:15 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scamp62 View Post
You may look into a new bolt stop, and use that for shooting and keep the original. especially if it is an all original parts gun
Not a bad idea as the bolt stop shows almost no wear. I can't remember if that is a numbered part. All of the numbers match except one part. I can't remember which part it was. I have to take a look but don't feel like walking to the shop tonight. I will try to take some pics tomorrow or day after tomorrow.

- Mark Twain

Old 08-13-2018, 9:45 PM
Veteran Member

The bolt stop should be stamped on the 12 O clock flat if it's a matching gun.
Old 08-14-2018, 8:54 PM
Administrator

It is stamped but it doesn't match the gun. I was wrong, looks like this gun was put together from three. The lower and the guts (bolt FCG, hammer...) are from one gun, the upper is from another, and the bolt stop is another number.

- Mark Twain