Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 06-25-2018, 9:58 AM

Default Reproduction Colt 1911 Series 70

Hey fellow calguners so i was in the search for a colt 1911 national match series 70 or pre 70. 4 days ago im walking in to a gun store in Burbank and looking at a brand new never fired well reproduction colt 1911 series 70 national match. I buy it. My initial search was for more the old production in 70’s 80’s so i bought it and in about ten days ill pick it up. Any info on the reproductions any of you have it? And did i do the right thing buying the reproduction one?
Old 06-25-2018, 10:55 AM
Veteran Member

If it is a Colt, it is not a reproduction. All the current Series 70 guns are is Series 80’s 1911-A1’s without the firing pin safety. The original Series 70’s were the same as 1911-A1 Colts made since 1924 with the addition of a collet style barrel bushing. For the life of me I don’t know why they called the new version a ‘Series 70’ as they are the same as the earlier pre 70’s guns.

Last edited by highpower; 06-25-2018 at 11:40 AM..
Old 06-25-2018, 11:40 AM

I was told at the store it is currently in production colt never stopped making the national match is what they told me. Now you’re saying there is no reproduction so that means it is brand new from 70’s ? And the firing pin is on the new series 70? Im lost. Here is a link about the reproduction https://forums.1911forum.com/showthr.../topics/696225
And another question poped up is the orther the text on the slide is writen reversed basically colt mark IV verses on the other one mark IV comes at the end of the text. see attached photos. Whats the explorations on that. And this are 2018 models is what i was told.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg F6898034-138D-42C8-A715-AFBB18A94B39.jpg (18.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg E50F44BD-68C3-4A7C-A868-B70180E3AEA8.jpg (11.0 KB, 86 views)
Old 06-25-2018, 11:56 AM
Veteran Member

No, what I was trying to say, is that since Colt made the original ‘Series 70’ 1911A1’s with a collet barrel bushing and the new version is made with a solid bushing, it really isn’t a reproduction. It is more of a copy of the earlier Gold Cup but without the lightened slide or hand fitting of the pre 1970’s guns.

So really it is it’s own model with features of both guns.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:57 AM

Hi vichenzo, I think it's called a reissue, and you mentioned to me they used old serial numbers?
Old 06-25-2018, 11:59 AM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

I think the confusion comes from the term "reproduction". highpower's point is that it is a real colt, so therefore it's not really a reproduction (a gun made by someone else but marked Colt).

Your questions is whether or not it is exactly like the national match made in the 1970s. The answer there is no, it is different. For one, it doesn't have the collet bushing of a true 1970s national match.

The "Mark" terminology is a bit confusing. You can think of them as "generations" of the national match. I go into it in my essay on National Match pistols here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=631001

oh and the store is wrong. colt did stop production of the national match before the war, and didn't start it up again until the late 50s.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colt11 View Post
Hi vichenzo, I think it's called a reissue, and you mentioned to me they used old serial numbers?
I think so. But searching the serial number in colt website comes up no result.
Old 06-25-2018, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
I think the confusion comes from the term "reproduction". highpower's point is that it is a real colt, so therefore it's not really a reproduction (a gun made by someone else but marked Colt).

Your questions is whether or not it is exactly like the national match made in the 1970s. The answer there is no, it is different. For one, it doesn't have the collet bushing of a true 1970s national match.

The "Mark" terminology is a bit confusing. You can think of them as "generations" of the national match. I go into it in my essay on National Match pistols here: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=631001

oh and the store is wrong. colt did stop production of the national match before the war, and didn't start it up again until the late 50s.
What they were saying is colt now 2018 still makes the national match.
Old 06-25-2018, 3:21 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vichenzo View Post
What they were saying is colt now 2018 still makes the national match.
correct, colt still makes the national match as a part of their current production. note, however, that there are NO colts on the roster. therefore you can't buy one as a new dealer sale. You can still buy one through PPT though.

Also, some FFLs will try to take advantage of the fact that the "National Match" is on the C&R list, but new guns especially those marked "Gold Cup" do not qualify for C&R status.
Old 06-25-2018, 4:15 PM

That’s exactly how Gun World in Burbank sold it to me. Now is that bad for the buyer in the future would there be any problems any kind? But i was told specifically by the guy at gun world that national match is on the C&R list
Old 06-25-2018, 4:25 PM
Veteran Member

The "current" production "series 70" guns are just straight 1911 in design. No firing pin safety. Colt did away with the series 70 barrel bushing so now it is just straight up 1911. They keep using the "series 70" nomenclature to denote that there is no firing pin safety like there is in the "series 80". Its really not accurate because as was said earlier in this thread, the "original" series 70 had a firing pin safety and different barrel bushing. So nowadays, "series 70" just means no firing pin safety and is no different from a standard 1911 internally.

None of Colt's 1911s should ever be described as "reproductions". They are the original maker. Recently manufactured Colts of various historical configurations should simply be described as "new production".
Disclaimer: The OPINIONS expressed herein are my own personal opinions and are NOT legal advice. Please remember I am just some random guy on the internet so don't get your panties twisted if you dont agree with me.

Last edited by lightcav; 06-25-2018 at 4:32 PM..
Old 06-25-2018, 7:42 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vichenzo View Post
That’s exactly how Gun World in Burbank sold it to me. Now is that bad for the buyer in the future would there be any problems any kind? But i was told specifically by the guy at gun world that national match is on the C&R list
should be no impact to the buyer -- worst case scenario they catch it and cancel the DROS. The FFL could get in trouble though -- they should know better.

The ATF has already answered this question -- if you search you can find the exact letter. They don't consider the "Gold Cups" to be C&R eligible. makes sense when you think about it -- why would a modern, current production gun be a C&R? it's a modern 1911 that shoots .45ACP. fails on both the age as well as "uniqueness" tests for C&R
Old 06-26-2018, 7:49 AM

Collet style bushing?? What effect doas it give to the old from the new production?
Old 06-26-2018, 10:02 AM

^^^ here's a picture of a collet bushing next to a standard barrel bushing. the most important thing to know is that Colt innovated with the collet, saw the error of their ways and went back to solid.

Old 07-02-2018, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2761377 View Post
^^^ here's a picture of a collet bushing next to a standard barrel bushing. the most important thing to know is that Colt innovated with the collet, saw the error of their ways and went back to solid.

That collet bushing would weaken over time and then give way altogether.

After twenty years and a lot of use, mine gave way at Davis Street. The round went off, followed immediately by a cracking schling kind of sound. The bushing had sheared off and gone somewhere down range along with the spring plug. I had a gunsmith hand fit a new solid bushing and I've had no trouble since.
Old 07-03-2018, 10:00 AM
Veteran Member

Strange, I have a series 80 that I bought new in the early 80s and it came with a collet style bushing. Could it be Colt was just using up their inventory?
Old 08-26-2018, 5:53 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerman View Post
Strange, I have a series 80 that I bought new in the early 80s and it came with a collet style bushing. Could it be Colt was just using up their inventory?
Yes.
NRA LIFE (1974) Psalm 46:10
I had a commission/USNR from 71-77 but never consider myself a Vet MyDad+4uncles/USMC/WW2/Korea/Vietnam. My Grandfather US Army WW1. No heroes,just regular folks--they were Veterans.

Psalm 23 “The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing—“
Old 08-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Veteran Member

In the mid 60's I had two 1911's fail both had the collet bushings. It took a month to get replacements.
The Spartans do not ask how many the enemies are but where they are.