Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-13-2018, 8:07 PM

Default VP9 - Shield - G19

Note: I originally posted this in the wrong forum so I deleted the content.

Greetings!

I recently left the communist state of California and purchased a VP9.

I own a Shield 9mm but I saw the gen 5 Glock 19 and it piqued my interest. In the past I had a gen 3 and sold it soon after purchasing it due to the grip angle and finger grooves. This new one ďfitsĒ better and doesnít bother my hand like the gen 3. Iíd like to shoot it but I live in a small town in AZ and the only two ranges nearby don't have it available to rent.

Just wanted to get opinions. Would the G19 be worth it? Was thinking of purchasing it as a conceal carry. I know I can use the shield for that but I like it under my pillow . Oh yeah, and does anyone think the 2.0 Shield is worth the upgrade?

Lastly, should I spent the extra 70-80 for the night sights on it if I do buy it?

Thanks everyone!

Last edited by Reaps08; 07-13-2018 at 11:34 PM..
Old 07-13-2018, 8:24 PM

1. Shield 2.0 is worth it
2. Not a Glock fanboy but the Gen5 is nice
3. Decide before you buy if night sights are important to you and go from there

-sic vis pacem para bellum
-qui audet adipiscitur
Old 07-13-2018, 10:29 PM

Congrats on the VP9.

Since you escaped the PRC, why not stick to one platform and get a VP9SK? A little fatter than a G19, but hey, itís an HK with a comfy grip angle.

As a citizen of free America, youíll probably end up with many new toys. I have an old California-safe Shield and love it, except for the loaded chamber flag and magazine disconnect. So maybe add the 2point0 to the stable. It should feel familiar only better.

As for the G19, if you didnít like your Gen 3, I doubt a Gen 5 would be satisfying. If you get one anyway (go on, challenge yourself to master that awkward grip angle!), get night sights.

But Iíd only want one carry gun to master. Given your thoughts, Iíd get a new, un-neutered Shield 2.0.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:21 PM

Default VP9 - Shield - G19

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeexposure View Post
Congrats on the VP9.

Since you escaped the PRC, why not stick to one platform and get a VP9SK? A little fatter than a G19, but hey, itís an HK with a comfy grip angle.

As a citizen of free America, youíll probably end up with many new toys. I have an old California-safe Shield and love it, except for the loaded chamber flag and magazine disconnect. So maybe add the 2point0 to the stable. It should feel familiar only better.

As for the G19, if you didnít like your Gen 3, I doubt a Gen 5 would be satisfying. If you get one anyway (go on, challenge yourself to master that awkward grip angle!), get night sights.

But Iíd only want one carry gun to master. Given your thoughts, Iíd get a new, un-neutered Shield 2.0.

Thanks for the reply! Iím honestly not crazy about having one platform. Iím more a buffet type of guy. Have a CZ75, had an MP40, and a P226 which I sold before I moved here only to get the legion here.

I have my shield for sale and since itís the only one in my area I got plenty of offers. But I can get $300 if Iím lucky as it came stock or 400 for it, apex trigger, apex low profile LCI, Hyve 2 round mag extender, pelican case, talon grips and 2 extra 8 round mags. The new shield is 430 for the base model. So donít know if the upgrade is worth it for only the upgraded trigger and grips (I donít count serrations as an upgrade lol). Especially since my shield already has a different trigger and talon grips to me feel better than the 60 grit sand paper the new mp come with.

Also, I really donít mind the thumb safety, I would actually get the 2.0 with the safety. The factory LCI was terrible but since I have the apex one I actually like it. Mag disconnect has never been an issue. I know the function of it but for my application Iíve never cursed California for giving me a shield with it so also not a deal breaker. Only reason I would sell my shield to trade up is just to have the latest model, but again. Itís just a facelift new model.

As for the Glock. I actually really like the way the new gen 5 19 looks. Would like to add a Glock to my collection.

Last edited by Reaps08; 07-13-2018 at 11:25 PM..
Old 07-13-2018, 11:32 PM
Veteran Member

Piqued, not peaked.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
Piqued, not peaked.

Updated thanks! I tend to forget how to English when Iím speed typing, but Iíll admit, that one I did not know.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:42 PM
Veteran Member

I like helping, no disrespect intended.
Old 07-13-2018, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
I like helping, no disrespect intended.

Not at all! Thanks again
Old 07-14-2018, 12:17 AM
Veteran Member

Btw I really like the g19, big fan and gen 5 would be my choice of your picks.

But I think I'd rather have the sig p365 for concealed carry. Got to handle one recently and it's surprisingly small, very impressive.

On the Glock night sights, I'd be happy with them for $50 over std model, they're pretty nice for factory. Otherwise I'd rather have either cheaper Ameriglo fiber optic or one of their tritium sets like hackathorn or cap.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:20 AM

Congrats on your escape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-14-2018, 12:27 AM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

I love my VP9, is as good as it gets with a polymer striker fired full size pistol. I do not like the fact that it should hold more rounds than it does (where legal.)

I have a G19 Gen 4 and it has also been superb. Zero mods, 100% reliability as usual for a Glock.

I don't have any experience with the shield, as I think the M&P Compact 1.0 is a better option, if that is an option. I recently started carrying mine again, and don't know why I ever stopped.

All the pistols you listed are no-brainers, so you can't lose.
Old 07-14-2018, 12:31 AM

Have you ever had failed to cycle with the VP9 and 115 gr?

Took mine to the range today for the first test run and every single one failed to cycle. Stopped after 10 or 15 rounds. Called H&K per the range masterís suggestion and they said itís meant to be used with 124 gr, not 115. Read online this is a common issue but some are telling me itís not and the gun might be defective.

As for my shield I actually like it a lot. Iíll admit Iíve never cc before but thatís because I lived I CA. Now that Iím in AZ Iíd like to. Just need to decide if I want to use my shield, or buy a G19 or MP 2.0 Compact for ccw.
Old 07-14-2018, 3:54 AM

XD,Shield,VP9,FN,Taurus,Ruger,CZ,Sig.
Old 07-14-2018, 4:06 AM

Some 115gr 9mm loads are loaded soft and can cause issues when cycling. Has also happened with some glocks.
Old 07-14-2018, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaps08 View Post
Thanks for the reply! Iím honestly not crazy about having one platform. Iím more a buffet type of guy. Have a CZ75, had an MP40, and a P226 which I sold before I moved here only to get the legion here.

I have my shield for sale and since itís the only one in my area I got plenty of offers. But I can get $300 if Iím lucky as it came stock or 400 for it, apex trigger, apex low profile LCI, Hyve 2 round mag extender, pelican case, talon grips and 2 extra 8 round mags. The new shield is 430 for the base model. So donít know if the upgrade is worth it for only the upgraded trigger and grips (I donít count serrations as an upgrade lol). Especially since my shield already has a different trigger and talon grips to me feel better than the 60 grit sand paper the new mp come with.

Also, I really donít mind the thumb safety, I would actually get the 2.0 with the safety. The factory LCI was terrible but since I have the apex one I actually like it. Mag disconnect has never been an issue. I know the function of it but for my application Iíve never cursed California for giving me a shield with it so also not a deal breaker. Only reason I would sell my shield to trade up is just to have the latest model, but again. Itís just a facelift new model.

As for the Glock. I actually really like the way the new gen 5 19 looks. Would like to add a Glock to my collection.

As for the buffet, I get it. I was there before I switched ďstrategiesĒ and sold most of my guns. But even then (the 35 handguns days), I would pick one as a range toy and then shoot it alongside the carry guns so I stayed on top of my training with the carry. So no need for one platform, just lots of training with the carry gun.

I didnít realize your Shield had so many mods. My issuing agency in PRC wonít allow mods on a carry gun, so Apex trigger etc. are just for the range toys (which I donít do anymore). Iím a believer in ďthe more it has, the more that can go wrongĒ and the LCI and mag disco are two things that make the California Shield overly complicated.

The safety on the Shield only troubles me because one time I discovered I had the safety engaged and didnít know it. I had been carrying it for a couple days like that. If I ran into a ďone-in-a-millionĒ moment of needing to use the weapon to stop a threat, I may have suffered injury or death trying to figure out why the Shield would not go ďbang.Ē I train for the simplest engagement, not the safety sweep (donít trust myself to remember a whole lot if Iím ever forced to draw).

As for Glock-if you like it get it! Of the four handguns I chose to keep, one was the 9mm G34 Gen 4. Not my favorite gun, but the only one I ďcompeteĒ with (so far just Glock-sponsored tournaments). Itís a bone stock model down to the crappy sights. Even though Iím not a Glock fan, I did well in my first tournament, taking first (including one ďperfect scoreĒ) and scoring even higher than the folks running modified Glocks.

Apologies for the long post. Just wanted to acknowledge the differences in our ďstrategiesď and share (too much?) about my viewpoint.
Old 07-14-2018, 8:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Get yourself a .22 LR handgun host for a suppressor like a Dead Air Mask or a Rugged Oculus. I would recommend the Ruger MK4 22/45 tactical.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeexposure View Post
As for the buffet, I get it. I was there before I switched ďstrategiesĒ and sold most of my guns. But even then (the 35 handguns days), I would pick one as a range toy and then shoot it alongside the carry guns so I stayed on top of my training with the carry. So no need for one platform, just lots of training with the carry gun.

I didnít realize your Shield had so many mods. My issuing agency in PRC wonít allow mods on a carry gun, so Apex trigger etc. are just for the range toys (which I donít do anymore). Iím a believer in ďthe more it has, the more that can go wrongĒ and the LCI and mag disco are two things that make the California Shield overly complicated.

The safety on the Shield only troubles me because one time I discovered I had the safety engaged and didnít know it. I had been carrying it for a couple days like that. If I ran into a ďone-in-a-millionĒ moment of needing to use the weapon to stop a threat, I may have suffered injury or death trying to figure out why the Shield would not go ďbang.Ē I train for the simplest engagement, not the safety sweep (donít trust myself to remember a whole lot if Iím ever forced to draw).

As for Glock-if you like it get it! Of the four handguns I chose to keep, one was the 9mm G34 Gen 4. Not my favorite gun, but the only one I ďcompeteĒ with (so far just Glock-sponsored tournaments). Itís a bone stock model down to the crappy sights. Even though Iím not a Glock fan, I did well in my first tournament, taking first (including one ďperfect scoreĒ) and scoring even higher than the folks running modified Glocks.

Apologies for the long post. Just wanted to acknowledge the differences in our ďstrategiesď and share (too much?) about my viewpoint.

Not at all! I appreciate the reply. I remember my sheriff buddy in LA saying that they get fired if they mod their carry weapons. Also that youíre not allowed to modify a CCW, at least in CA. You have a good point about those mods. If Iím keeping this guy for CCw then Iíll need to put it back to stock. As for the safety, Iíll admit I like it only because I sleep with it under my spare pillow, but each time I go to the range I always forget to disengage it and that first shot is always a dud.
Old 07-14-2018, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shafferds View Post
Some 115gr 9mm loads are loaded soft and can cause issues when cycling. Has also happened with some glocks.

Interesting. Iím using freedom munitions reman and Iíve never had issues with any of my others guys.
Old 07-15-2018, 1:20 AM

Quote:
Note: I originally posted this in the wrong forum so I deleted the content.

Greetings!

I recently left the communist state of California and purchased a VP9.

I own a Shield 9mm but I saw the gen 5 Glock 19 and it piqued my interest. In the past I had a gen 3 and sold it soon after purchasing it due to the grip angle and finger grooves. This new one ďfitsĒ better and doesnít bother my hand like the gen 3. Iíd like to shoot it but I live in a small town in AZ and the only two ranges nearby don't have it available to rent.

Just wanted to get opinions. Would the G19 be worth it? Was thinking of purchasing it as a conceal carry. I know I can use the shield for that but I like it under my pillow . Oh yeah, and does anyone think the 2.0 Shield is worth the upgrade?

Lastly, should I spent the extra 70-80 for the night sights on it if I do buy it?

Thanks everyone!
G19 Gen 5 worth it? I say yes.

Shield 2.0 worth the upgrade? If you like the safety and don't mind the mag disconnect then no. Me? I left Kalifornistan and got the 2.0 because I don't like the LCI, Safety and mag disconnect. Plus anything I buy from here on will be Kali illegal just for principle sake. Although I kept the Kali neutered Shield as one of my HD gunz. Shoots great and was CHEAP. Got it when there was the rebate.

Night sights? If you feel you may need them then go for it. JMHO
Old 07-15-2018, 9:12 AM

I actually ended up getting $400 for the shield and was able to keep one mag for myself and the pelican case. Went to get a 2.0 and walked out with a 2.0 with no safety and. Sig P226 Legion. Go figure.
Old 07-15-2018, 4:49 PM

Night sights for sure.

I would get an m&p 9 3.6 or 4 inch compact if I lived outside California , and keep your shield. Remove the mag disconnect safety though. It is very easy and was the first thing I did to mine. With the lci block and mag disconnect safety removed you have the same gun with out the white lettering on the right side of the slide.
Old 07-15-2018, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staticsouls View Post
Night sights for sure.

I would get an m&p 9 3.6 or 4 inch compact if I lived outside California , and keep your shield. Remove the mag disconnect safety though. It is very easy and was the first thing I did to mine. With the lci block and mag disconnect safety removed you have the same gun with out the white lettering on the right side of the slide.

Thanks! But too late lol already sold my 1.0 and got a 2.0 for a discount when I purchased the legion.
Old 07-16-2018, 5:15 AM

VP9>G19>Shield

I like my VP9. My only gripe is the “pinch” you get something on your trigger finger and the price of mags.
Old 07-16-2018, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Have you ever had failed to cycle with the VP9 and 115 gr?

Took mine to the range today for the first test run and every single one failed to cycle. Stopped after 10 or 15 rounds. Called H&K per the range master’s suggestion and they said it’s meant to be used with 124 gr, not 115. Read online this is a common issue but some are telling me it’s not and the gun might be defective.
If it's still pretty new, it will need some time to break in. Apparently the early runs of the VP9 had a lighter recoil spring and it would sometimes not go into full battery so the new ones now use the VP40 spring. You should shoot 124 grain for a while out of it to start out with. It should cycle fine after a while. I have shot maybe 800-1000 rounds out of mine now and it runs great with both 115 and 124 grain rounds.

As for your initial question, get a Gen5 G19. It will still have the same Glock grip angle but it's a great firearm for it's size.

Last edited by the Scholar; 07-16-2018 at 6:42 PM..
Old 07-16-2018, 6:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Scholar View Post
If it's still pretty new, it will need some time to break in. Apparently the early runs of the VP9 had a lighter recoil spring and it would sometimes not go into full battery so the new ones now use the VP40 spring. You should shoot 124 grain for a while out of it to start out with. It should cycle fine after a while. I have shot maybe 800-1000 rounds out of mine now and it runs great.

As for your initial question, get a Gen5 G19. It will still have the same Glock grip angle but it's a great firearm for it's size.

I emailed H&K and got a reply to run 400-500 rounds of 124 gr to break it in. Sadly my 6k rounds are all 115 and freedom munitions was completely out of just about everything. My LGS has 1000 for $190 so I may pick that up.