Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 02-22-2021, 8:08 AM

Default Why a short slide with a long light?

Why not get a longer slide?
I see guys who clearly have the cash to have a longer slide still choose to run a 17 slide instead of a 34 with their X300 sticking out underneath. Can’t wrap my head around why.
Old 02-22-2021, 8:24 AM
Veteran Member

I assume this is just at the range or maybe in uspsa? At work I have heard some people advocate making sure your light protrudes a small amount as it provides stand-off in the event you’re in a hands on fight with someone on the ground. If you had to do a contact shot the muzzle could get slightly depressed and put the pistol out of battery making it not function. Also the reason we’ve been made to drill shooting a glock with your palm over the rear of the slide to force it shut. Then you have to hand cycle after your shot.
Old 02-22-2021, 8:31 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Money is not free for everyone....

We buy Guns

We buy Lights

We then HOPE to find a holster to fit both

Do you have an example of a G17 you saw?

“Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.”
— Neil deGrasse Tyson

4 million DROS checks in Dec 2020- time to take new gun owners to the range
Old 02-22-2021, 9:07 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Nah! Me I like a G35, convert to 9mm with a 40-9 conversion barrel and put the lightest recoil spring that’ll reliably cycle my loads. The light underneath doesn’t matter.
Just beware of the thorns...
K. Meine
Old 02-22-2021, 9:14 AM
Veteran Member

Because it is tacticool, totally special ops and navy seal operator to have your light hang out beyound the barrel tip and get it powder blasted.

Most glock mods are.

Last edited by heidad01; 02-22-2021 at 9:17 AM..
Old 02-22-2021, 9:22 AM
Veteran Member

A light extending beyond the slide will definitely get flame and powder burns. A few hundred rounds and the damage can be severe.

Last edited by 003; 02-22-2021 at 9:24 AM..
Old 02-22-2021, 9:57 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I'm poor20191221_222904.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

CA DOJ BOF stance on modifying handguns only applies to dimensionally compliant bolt-action single-shot pistols and dimensionally compliant break-open single-shot pistols.
^It does not apply to revolvers, manually operated repeating pistols, and semi-auto pistols." ~~ Quiet
Old 02-22-2021, 10:00 AM
Calguns Addict

I don't let any of my lights protrude past the muzzle. It's a quick way to diminish illumination with powder residue coating the lens.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 02-22-2021, 10:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 003 View Post
A light extending beyond the slide will definitely get flame and powder burns. A few hundred rounds and the damage can be severe.
not in my experience
Old 02-22-2021, 10:52 AM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Maybe they only have one X300 and have to run it through different pistols? G19, G17 or a G34...?

I for one did a few times in a night/low light matches and/or classes - I sometimes run my TLR-1HL with my G19 or with a G34. I will be taking a class in a few weeks and am planning to run it with a G21SF (G17-length).

But then, I also purchased a TLR7 a few months back and is now a permanent fixture of my G19; while my X300 is a permanent fixture of my 1911.

That said - I don't get the rationale for not being able to figure out the "why?" Does it really matter to you? Or anyone else? Or just a tinge of curiosity?

_
Old 02-22-2021, 11:02 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.V.I.D. View Post
not in my experience
Let me know after you run several hundred rounds down the barrel.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:21 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
I don't let any of my lights protrude past the muzzle. It's a quick way to diminish illumination with powder residue coating the lens.
This, on my handguns and rifles.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:48 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I've put more than several thousand through glock 19/17 with x300 lights and the black gets slightly dull. As for powder residue on the lens just wipe it off, ingenious. Are you gonna be in a 24 hour low light fire fight.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:03 PM
Calguns Addict

Not a G34 owner here but I run both an X300 & TLR-1HL. Both stick out past the barrel of my G19. I could run a G17 so the barrel would look even with the lights, but I like the way the G19 balances better in my hands. Looks don’t mean a thing to me because firearms are tools. Ymmv.

After thousand of rounds with my X300 attached, there’s definitely some scoring on the top but it has no effect on feel or functionality when I shoot. Lens is fine as well.

WTB used AK MFER.

Last edited by drunktank; 02-22-2021 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: Typos
Old 02-22-2021, 12:17 PM
Sarariman Shuta
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunktank View Post
After thousand of rounds with my X300 attached, there’s definitely some scoring on the top but it has no effect on feel or functionality when I shoot. Lens is fine as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by D.A.V.I.D. View Post
I've put more than several thousand through glock 19/17 with x300 lights and the black gets slightly dull. As for powder residue on the lens just wipe it off, ingenious. Are you gonna be in a 24 hour low light fire fight.

And what does a few LAPD SWAT officers recommend? Toothpaste! Good as new!

_
Old 02-22-2021, 12:17 PM
Mit Gott und Mauser
CGN Contributor

Location: The People's Glorious Republik of Southern Kalifornistan

The most obvious advantage, as mentioned by deadcoyote, is that the protruding light will prevent the weapon from being pushed out of battery if a contact shot is made.

The scalloped metal bezel of the light could also be an effective blunt impact weapon in close quarters.

In some cases, a shooter may own one good compact pistol and prefer a longer light, such as the SF 300U. Not everyone has the luxury of achieving Feng Shui perfection by mixing and matching the right weapon in their extensive arsenal to the right light. Sometimes you have to let go of that compulsion for gadget to muzzle equity and work with what you've got.

Lastly, muzzle blast will most certainly scorch the top of a light that protrudes beyond the muzzle. The lens will get dirty with soot. So what, it's a tool. You can avoid this sort of wear and tear by never, ever shooting it and keeping it wrapped in crushed velvet, only leaving the safe to show your buddies when they come over for the big game.

Otherwise, it's gonna happen. Surefire's finish is more durable than Streamlight. Streamlight finish is more durable than Olight or Nightstick.
Old 02-22-2021, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Old 02-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Veteran Member

Most lights that run on CR123s are longer to accommodate the bigger batteries. I prefer lights that run on CR123 batteries because they have the longest runtime. The smallest light I have is a Surefire XC1, which runs on a single AAA. The battery lasts only 30 minutes while my Streamlight TLR-1 runs for at least 2 hours.
Old 02-22-2021, 1:00 PM
Veteran Member

For the longest time I only had one x300 and one TLR-HL that I would alternate between 10-15 handguns. I ran my CZ P01 with a TLR1 sticking out for a night class with rapid fire, the carbon on the lens was never a problem a eraser didn’t take care of before and I never noticed a problem during normal range trips but for the 4 hour night class that had strings of rapid fire, it was annoying having to clean the lens every hour. If I didn’t clean it, it still worked fine but was extremely dimmer. Just picked up a TLR-7 for my compacts like the CZ and G19.

Old 02-22-2021, 1:04 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Also, long slide is not the answer to everything. The extra accuracy one gets is negligible at practical distances and Glocks are not target pistols to begin with, so those searching accuracy will get something with a different trigger and different barrel setup.

Other than accuracy, longer slides will change the balance and "feel" of the gun, but the light will change the balance of the gun much more than tinkering with the slide length. So, quite a few people who put the light on the gun don't really care about the small fine-tuning they can achieve with different slide lengths.
Old 02-22-2021, 1:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

The debate about mounted lights is usually about the usage - having to point the barrel of the gun at an unknown object/person just to illuminate it, when there is no intent to shoot it (yet, or ever).
Old 02-22-2021, 1:13 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
The debate about mounted lights is usually about the usage - having to point the barrel of the gun at an unknown object/person just to illuminate it, when there is no intent to shoot it (yet, or ever).
That debate has already been talked to death, there's absolutely no reason to not have a WML for anything used for defense. Those against a WML that advocate a handheld light make it sound like if you have a WML you're not allowed to use a handheld as well. WML splash light should be able to identify without directly pointing gun at the target until threat has been identified. Or use a handheld light and once a threat has been identify WML comes in to affect. Obviously that's all just my opinion still and there's really no wrong or right answer. But we can make thread #30410 for that discussion
Old 02-22-2021, 1:34 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearitone View Post
Why not get a longer slide?
I see guys who clearly have the cash to have a longer slide still choose to run a 17 slide instead of a 34 with their X300 sticking out underneath. Can’t wrap my head around why.
I have a 34 with an X300 and the light still sticks out beyond the slide/barrel. And when I go to the range to shoot, I simply remove the light and put it in my range bag to keep it clean. And if I should forget to do that, I just wipe the little bit of soot off.

And no, having the light on or off the gun makes no difference in my shooting.

I think you are over thinking this.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 02-22-2021, 4:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTROKS View Post
Nah! Me I like a G35, convert to 9mm with a 40-9 conversion barrel and put the lightest recoil spring that’ll reliably cycle my loads. The light underneath doesn’t matter.
I'm curious, why not just buy a model 34?
Old 02-22-2021, 4:18 PM

The real question is-why not buy P320 and it will cover any of you dreams without going to FFL ever again? Long slide, short slide, small grip, big grip, plastic grip, metal grip. On top of it you are getting real icon brand!

Last edited by Palmaris; 02-22-2021 at 4:21 PM..
Old 02-22-2021, 4:23 PM

And if you add P365 to P320-you will have another 4 configurations. It is endless possibilities!
Old 02-22-2021, 4:44 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post

And what does a few LAPD SWAT officers recommend? Toothpaste! Good as new!

_
Interesting. That's a new one to me. Thanx.

I just use the same stuff to clean/lube the pistol with. Smear some on the lens and go.
Easy to quick clean as needed. Works more than a few times too.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 02-22-2021, 4:46 PM

Can’t go much longer. Nature of the beast. Not to mention, many holsters will have retention off the light and you can possibly run the same light on multiple platforms with the same holster. Everyone would have to run around with 5.5inch plus guns. TLR and the X300 are the most popular lights for a reason.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4D464C7F-CC53-48D7-B785-014BEF1207A2.jpg (19.8 KB, 74 views)
Old 02-22-2021, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scope2x View Post
Can’t go much longer. Nature of the beast. Not to mention, many holsters will have retention off the light and you can possibly run the same light on multiple platforms with the same holster. Everyone would have to run around with 5.5inch plus guns. TLR and the X300 are the most popular lights for a reason.
Nice set up!
Old 02-22-2021, 5:46 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASniUa3wk18

One reason why the light is longer than the slide @ 2:35 mark

- GySgt Bob Lee Swagger
Old 02-22-2021, 6:14 PM
Calguns Addict

M.Y.O.B.

Fighter Pilot
Old 02-22-2021, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Ricigliano View Post
The most obvious advantage, as mentioned by deadcoyote, is that the protruding light will prevent the weapon from being pushed out of battery if a contact shot is made.

The scalloped metal bezel of the light could also be an effective blunt impact weapon in close quarters.

In some cases, a shooter may own one good compact pistol and prefer a longer light, such as the SF 300U. Not everyone has the luxury of achieving Feng Shui perfection by mixing and matching the right weapon in their extensive arsenal to the right light. Sometimes you have to let go of that compulsion for gadget to muzzle equity and work with what you've got.

Lastly, muzzle blast will most certainly scorch the top of a light that protrudes beyond the muzzle. The lens will get dirty with soot. So what, it's a tool. You can avoid this sort of wear and tear by never, ever shooting it and keeping it wrapped in crushed velvet, only leaving the safe to show your buddies when they come over for the big game.

Otherwise, it's gonna happen. Surefire's finish is more durable than Streamlight. Streamlight finish is more durable than Olight or Nightstick.
Good points all around.

My question was more aimed at the people who have the money to blow on a 34 slide but choose to run a 17, which you actually answered so thanks.

I definitely didn't mean to piss anyone off by suggesting they blow money on longer slides and my question was mainly aimed at G17 guys, not G19 guys who don't even have the option of a 17/34 length slide.

For G19 guys I actually understand for concealed carry. Some guys gotta have that short grip but, won't settle for a light under 1000 lumens so that's just the package you end up with.
Old 02-22-2021, 7:56 PM

Prior Duty weapon (personally owned) was a Gen4 G35 with a Streamlight.

Prior department issued was a Gen3 G22. Light was optional. Mine was issued brand new in 2008 (I turned it in when I went with a personally owned G35).

Last year (2020) Department took back the G3 G22s and issued a Gen5 G17 MOS with Surefire X300. Lights on duty weapons are now mandatory.

I did like the fact that the lens on my light would not get dirty/black when mounted on the longer G35 slide. However, as a practical matter, it is no big deal having it get dirty on the shorter slide, as it takes quite a few rounds to get it dirty enough to notice and it is super easy to wipe. If you keep you light clean and have to deploy you duty weapon, you will run out of bullets before the lens gets dirty enough to notice.

As to having a light protrude past the shorter slide as a stand off device, it is a very low probability that you will get into that situation, however, if you did it would be incredibly helpful.

A good friend of mine had that happen early in his career. He was carrying a Beretta 92 (LA based agency in the early 90's) and got into a very up close and personal gun fight. He luckily grabbed the slide of the bad guy's 1911 as bad guy pulled the trigger next to my buddy's head. 1911 didn't cycle and my buddy placed his Beretta into the bad guy and pulled to the trigger twice, only to hear the sound of hammer falling, but no shot (loudest sound in a gunfight). Luckily he kept pulling the trigger as he got space between bad guy and his gun barrel. 9 shots later, he goes home and bad guys takes a dirt nap. Good outcome
Old 02-22-2021, 10:01 PM
Veteran Member

If your light has powder burns. Buff off with eraser. #2 pencil works great. Then apply light film of chapstick and buff wth Qtip.
Old 02-23-2021, 1:12 AM

XDm.45 w/TLR-1HL. Same for my G22. Light just barely passes the muzzle. (2) G19s and my VP9 all wear a TLR-7A. Fits perfectly flush with the muzzle.
XDm.45 is my nightstand gun. I like having the extra illumination to light up my hallway without having to point the business end at anyone.
I also like that I can buy (2) TLR-1s for less than (1) X300. I'm not LE or a Tier-1 door kicker. If a X300 is that much better I doubt I'll ever notice the difference based on my usage. I will notice the difference of being able to put a light on two weapons vs one though. I don't take my lights off for the range though either. I want to practice shooting the way the gun will be set up if I grab it in an emergency. Wipe the lights off before they go back in the case for the drive home. No big deal. YMMV. My .02
Old 02-23-2021, 1:54 PM

I use my extendo light to give badgguys a black eye, once i magdump.
Old 02-23-2021, 4:01 PM

I have went the opposite way. Short light on longer slide. Got a Streamlight TLR 7A on a Glock 21. Didn't want the light to go past the slide.

Even then I did notice that after a few hundred rounds the light still gets some carbon on it, maybe just the 45 ACP and Blazer ammo that is a bit dirtier. A quick wipe with my gun cleaner solves that problem easily.

Old 02-23-2021, 5:10 PM
Veteran Member

Old 02-23-2021, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member

Ugh, can't believe I read this thread.
Old 02-23-2021, 8:50 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert1234 View Post
Ugh, can't believe I read this thread.
You and me both. Since I'm here if anyone is worried about getting powder burns or shout on your lens then yes the light protruding past you barrel is not going to be good for IG or CalGuns pics. For me I could careless if the light is beat up, I just need it to works reliably.