Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 09-16-2020, 9:29 PM

Default Clarification on purchasing ammo from store vs. Ammo transfer

Hi all,

I've tried researching but can't get clear answers and hoping you can clarify for me. I am looking to try and stock up on ammo

At stores:
At my local store I was told 500 per month total round purchase total

At another place I'm not as fond of I was told 500 per caliber but no clarification if there was a period between transactions required

Regarding transfers:
A gentleman I'm looking to do an ammo transfer with is under the impression its 500 per transaction only and another noting transactions could be done

Final question. Currently FFL & paperwork check is required correct? I ask because I've had a few people messege me that have said they'll meet in a parking lot cash and done deal. Id prefer not to do anything that could result in confiscation &/or a fine lol.
Old 09-16-2020, 9:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broketuner View Post
Hi all,

I've tried researching but can't get clear answers and hoping you can clarify for me. I am looking to try and stock up on ammo

At stores:
At my local store I was told 500 per month total round purchase total

At another place I'm not as fond of I was told 500 per caliber but no clarification if there was a period between transactions required

Regarding transfers:
A gentleman I'm looking to do an ammo transfer with is under the impression its 500 per transaction only and another noting transactions could be done

Final question. Currently FFL & paperwork check is required correct? I ask because I've had a few people messege me that have said they'll meet in a parking lot cash and done deal. Id prefer not to do anything that could result in confiscation &/or a fine lol.
So you want to transfer ammo that was never registered because, well, it is stupid. And you want to play by these stupid rules when there is no REAL constitutional law about it? You realize you are one of the sheep they expect to follow their complete nonsense rules?

I mean, I get it if you are buying from a dealer, you gotta play by their rules if you are that hard up, but to take ammo from another guy and put yourself through their complete BS dog and pony show? Wow man. There is NOTHING you can say to defend your position to me. As a gun owner we are getting **** on in this state left and right by the thugs in sacramento and it takes us years to overcome what takes them days to pump out and ANYONE willing to play by their rules voluntarily to me is just a disgrace.

Maybe I am missing something here, but if I had any friends that were willing to sell me ammo. I would simply give them the money and take the ammo off their hands... That would mean that I would have to have friends first, but other people are nicer than me and have friends.

Maybe someone else will give you a better answer, But I also heard it was every 500 rnds will cost some $15 tax or something from Ammo Bros and from Bullseye I think.

Need GOOD SS pins to clean your brass? Try the new and improved model...

And remember- 99.9% of the lawyers ruin it for the other .1%...
Old 09-17-2020, 3:55 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post
So you want to transfer ammo that was never registered because, well, it is stupid. And you want to play by these stupid rules when there is no REAL constitutional law about it? You realize you are one of the sheep they expect to follow their complete nonsense rules?

I mean, I get it if you are buying from a dealer, you gotta play by their rules if you are that hard up, but to take ammo from another guy and put yourself through their complete BS dog and pony show? Wow man. There is NOTHING you can say to defend your position to me. As a gun owner we are getting **** on in this state left and right by the thugs in sacramento and it takes us years to overcome what takes them days to pump out and ANYONE willing to play by their rules voluntarily to me is just a disgrace.

Maybe I am missing something here, but if I had any friends that were willing to sell me ammo. I would simply give them the money and take the ammo off their hands... That would mean that I would have to have friends first, but other people are nicer than me and have friends.

Maybe someone else will give you a better answer, But I also heard it was every 500 rnds will cost some $15 tax or something from Ammo Bros and from Bullseye I think.
Old 09-17-2020, 4:51 AM
Veteran Member

I'm not aware of any limitation on how much you can buy from a retail store, assuming you can find any in a retail store at the moment. Same holds true for ammo ordered from an out-of-state seller and transferred through a retail store.

The only limitation I'm aware of is person-to-person (PTP) transfers, where the seller is limited to selling no more than 500 rounds per month.

If you've bought a firearm in California recently, you're in the system and all that's required is an instant background check that takes a couple of minutes and costs $1. An FFL may tack on additional fees.

[Editorial comments deleted].
Old 09-20-2020, 6:56 AM
Veteran Member

If a store has ammo limitations right now, it is due to wanting to be able to sell to as many people as possible. There is no restriction by law of how much ammo you can add to an ammo transfer for that Dollar you pay. There just isn't a lot of ammo out there for sale. Whether you want to follow the letter of the law is up to you. If you don't want to, well that's between you and the state. If you get caught, you know the ramifications. If you get away with it, fine. It's all about how much risk you want to take. I have a lot to lose so I'm going to play it safe personally.
Old 09-20-2020, 6:53 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilly View Post

Hahahahaha omg I miss you stilly!

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk
Old 09-20-2020, 7:22 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broketuner View Post
Hi all,

At stores:
At my local store I was told 500 per month total round purchase total. Store Policy.

At another place I'm not as fond of I was told 500 per caliber but no clarification if there was a period between transactions required. Store policy

Regarding transfers:
A gentleman I'm looking to do an ammo transfer with is under the impression its 500 per transaction only and another noting transactions could be done See Code section 30342 citation, below.

Final question. Currently FFL & paperwork check is required correct? I ask because I've had a few people messege me that have said they'll meet in a parking lot cash and done deal. Id prefer not to do anything that could result in confiscation &/or a fine lol. See Code section 30370 citation, below.
CA PEN 30342.
Quote:
(a) Commencing January 1, 2018, a valid ammunition vendor license shall be required for any person, firm, corporation, or other business enterprise to sell more than 500 rounds of ammunition in any 30-day period.
(b) A violation of this section is a misdemeanor.
CA PEN 30370
Quote:
30370. (a) Commencing July 1, 2019, the department shall electronically approve the purchase or transfer of ammunition through a vendor, as defined in Section 16151, except as otherwise specified. This approval shall occur at the time of purchase or transfer, prior to the purchaser or transferee taking possession of the ammunition. Pursuant to the authorization specified in paragraph (1) of subdivision (c) of Section 30352, the following persons are authorized to purchase ammunition:
(1) A purchaser or transferee whose information matches an entry in the Automated Firearms System (AFS) and who is eligible to possess ammunition as specified in subdivision (b).
(2) A purchaser or transferee who has a current certificate of eligibility issued by the department pursuant to Section 26710.
(3) A purchaser or transferee who is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing ammunition in a single ammunition transaction or purchase made pursuant to the procedure developed pursuant to subdivision (c).