Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 03-15-2019, 8:54 AM

Yeah I had looked at that. Barrel is a bit short for my tastes as I prefer at the shortest a 3 inch barrel. I don't like the sleeved barrel, its not like the Dan Wesson and reportedly has some issues with the front retaining nut coming off under repeated shooting.

It is a pretty gun though.
Old 03-15-2019, 9:17 AM

Default Awesome info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcassonne View Post
The is no practical reason to get a more expensive revolver in 10mm over a lower cost Glock 10mm, but if you just want a 10mm revolver, then get it

You shouldn't have a problem with bullet jump with the 10mm. Hot 357 mag will need a good crimp.

10mm uses large pistol primers. 38 Spl, 357 Mag, and 40 S&W use small pistol primers.

You didn't say what barrel length you plan on getting for the 10mm or 586. A 357 Mag will benefit more from a longer barrel than a 10mm. The 10mm will only gain about 50fps between a 4" and 6" barrel. A 357 will gain more tha. 100fps with an extra 2" of barrel length.

357 Mag will be cheaper to reload.

Check out 10mm-firearms.com and see what people over there think of a 10mm revolver.

Carcassone -- Really great info! That 10mm-firearms.com site is filled with awesome info. Apparently there IS a Ranch Products moonclip that works, and yes the factory moonclips are fragile and bendable. I'd need a moon clip tool for loading and one for unloading. The Ranch products look a lot cheaper than the TK Custom.

My thinking on the "practical" side is that I shoot mostly in indoor ranges so if I want my brass I have to use a revolver, their policy is brass on the floor cannot be picked up by reloaders. They have a big sign warning its against range rules. So if I keep my brass I'm halfway there.

I figure all retailers will be jacking up ammo prices come July 1, but even assuming they don't, 45 acp I've seen running, non-sale, at roughly 44 -50 cents a round for a FMJ Fiocchi 230 grain. I've shot that before, its fairly clean and fairly accurate for range ammo. I generally like Fiocchi, seems ok ammo for the price.

I am told I can reload .357 brass at least five times if I don't go crazy in loads, the advantage of a fully supported chamber. So I'm looking at an amortized cost of 4 cents brass, 15 cents bullet, and about 3 cents each powder and primers for about 25 cents.

I've seen on Midway, non sale, prices for the brass and bullets about the same. I just don't know how much I can re-use 10mm brass.

What's up with 10mm ammo? I'm seeing at Turners, Ammo Bros at least prices around the same for .357 and 45 ACP. The only real buys are in .40 and the only gun I'd like in .40 is the CZ 75 variant, not sure if that is a gun that can stand up to the .40 long term.

My general thinking is -- hey 10mm its a high pressure cartridge, and what gun is best for high pressure cartridges? Revolvers!

I really need to shoot more though, that's my goal this year.

Thanks again so much for the 10mm-firearms.com site link! I would NEVER have found that on my own!
Old 03-15-2019, 9:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthlandMan View Post
My thinking on the "practical" side is that I shoot mostly in indoor ranges so if I want my brass I have to use a revolver, their policy is brass on the floor cannot be picked up by reloaders. They have a big sign warning its against range rules. So if I keep my brass I'm halfway there.
In your original post, you stated your guns are for the apocalypse. I wouldn't let your local range rules determine your apocalypse gun choices.

I see no real benefit to choosing new 10mm revolvers over your currently owned .357 revolvers. 10 mm isn't exactly a good apocalypse caliber anyway. It's too uncommon. At least you can shoot .40 out of them, which is a better apocalypse caliber.

If you just have to have a 10mm, I would add my name to the list of posters telling you to get a Glock in 10mm. Don't let your range rules determine your survival strategy. That Glock 10mm will also shoot .40 just fine.

“I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!” - Senator Barry Goldwater
Old 03-15-2019, 5:20 PM
Veteran Member

I always assumed 10mm ammo wouldn't be on the official zombie apocalypse approval list.
Old 03-16-2019, 9:47 AM

Default Me attempting humor

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1dude View Post
In your original post, you stated your guns are for the apocalypse. I wouldn't let your local range rules determine your apocalypse gun choices.

I see no real benefit to choosing new 10mm revolvers over your currently owned .357 revolvers. 10 mm isn't exactly a good apocalypse caliber anyway. It's too uncommon. At least you can shoot .40 out of them, which is a better apocalypse caliber.

If you just have to have a 10mm, I would add my name to the list of posters telling you to get a Glock in 10mm. Don't let your range rules determine your survival strategy. That Glock 10mm will also shoot .40 just fine.
Hi no it was me attempting to be funny by quoting the Turners Ad screaming "Ammopocalypse" -- I just get this sinking feeling that anything out of reloading will be ultra expensive. Hence the emphasis on reloading and the ability to shoot enough to keep my skills up. I am really not shooting enough -- every other month or less, rather than once a month.

Cheaper Ammo = me shooting more = more fun = more skills.

I am seeing weird stuff with ammo prices. How is 10mm (range ammo) cheaper by a few bucks at Turners and Ammo Bros than .357? How is 38 special not significantly cheaper in non sale prices (I've seen a few boxes on sale today at Turners, will have to pick some up!)

On a serious note I'm looking in my gun buy to purchase a gun that I can long term afford to reload and shoot on a regular basis as gun rights become more and more restricted.

Maybe I should take a second look at the Smith 625. Its 45 ACP. Though also moonclips. The moonclip issue is why I already have not been at Turners plunking down my money.

Is the 10mm really just revived (see a lot more of it, more guns released in it) because of the Fallout Games? Speaking of the Apocalypse.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthlandMan View Post
Hi no it was me attempting to be funny by quoting the Turners Ad screaming "Ammopocalypse" -- I just get this sinking feeling that anything out of reloading will be ultra expensive. Hence the emphasis on reloading and the ability to shoot enough to keep my skills up. I am really not shooting enough -- every other month or less, rather than once a month.

Cheaper Ammo = me shooting more = more fun = more skills.

I am seeing weird stuff with ammo prices. How is 10mm (range ammo) cheaper by a few bucks at Turners and Ammo Bros than .357? How is 38 special not significantly cheaper in non sale prices (I've seen a few boxes on sale today at Turners, will have to pick some up!)

On a serious note I'm looking in my gun buy to purchase a gun that I can long term afford to reload and shoot on a regular basis as gun rights become more and more restricted.

Maybe I should take a second look at the Smith 625. Its 45 ACP. Though also moonclips. The moonclip issue is why I already have not been at Turners plunking down my money.

Is the 10mm really just revived (see a lot more of it, more guns released in it) because of the Fallout Games? Speaking of the Apocalypse.
I am a newbie with firearms but I can attest to the versatility of the Glocl 10mm, I am currently shooting 40sw via a conversion barrel and for more target practice a 22lr conversion. I can pre order Magtech 10mm in Sportsmans Warehouse Milipitas for under $20.00 sometimes even cheaper than 38 specials. 40sw is abundant too, I think its cheaper than 45acp at least with what I see here in San Jose CA. With this versatility and affordability I have not shot my GP 100 since oening the Glock, zero malfunctions too in both 10mm and 40sw, the 22lr conversion kit though can be rough, lol.
Old 03-16-2019, 9:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Stay with the .357! BUT
Rather than buying another handgun, get a .357 carbine.
Absolutely spot on Bro! 357 revolver and a Lever Action in 357 are great combo.

Last edited by Nvberinger; 03-16-2019 at 9:12 PM..
Old 03-17-2019, 12:48 AM
Veteran Member

Combo made in Zombie Heaven.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:44 PM

At OnTarget, you can pick up your brass 'that falls in your own lane'. I know they have a sign that says if the brass hits the floor, they own it.
That's to prevent people from harvesting a large amount of brass that they didn't bring into the range. I asked about picking up brass in Jan 2019 and was told to sweep your lane clean prior to shooting and anything that falls in the lane can be picked up. I've been picking up brass with no problems, even as the range officer was strolling by.
Old 03-20-2019, 6:41 AM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

Without reading what are probably some very good replies to the OP, why not get a .44 Magnum revolver. Since you'll be handloading, you can tailor loads down to 10mm performance but using a larger-diameter bullet.
“The history of liberty is the history of the limitations placed on the government… Liberty has never come from the government. Liberty has always come from the subjects of it. The history of liberty is a history of resistance.” – Woodrow Wilson

. Member NRA and Mojave Lever Crew | Stuck somewhere between Cowboy and Tactical | Bolts, levers, single actions and 1911s

. 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 03-20-2019, 8:37 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Apples View Post
Without reading what are probably some very good replies to the OP, why not get a .44 Magnum revolver. Since you'll be handloading, you can tailor loads down to 10mm performance but using a larger-diameter bullet.
First suggested in post 12.

Response in post 22:
https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/...4&postcount=22
Old 03-20-2019, 9:04 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidward View Post
Stay with the .357! BUT
Rather than buying another handgun, get a .357 carbine.

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^