Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > THE CALGUNS COMMUNITY > CGSSA Range Cleanups
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

CGSSA Range Cleanups Schedule dates and time to clean up outdoor ranges. If we don't who will?

Old 05-13-2016, 6:15 AM

Default Where are the Best Free Ranges here in Sacramento?

Sure,

I've been to Moonrocks in Nevada, Spenceville Shooting Range, The Quarry & The Stupid Spot up in Auburn. But what else am I missing?

The best experience I've ever had was when we brought the BBQ & spent the whole afternoon shooting the place up. Met a fella out there with his 8-year-old son, had a spur of the moment skeet shooting contest. He had about 15 AR's & AK's & let us try 'em out. There was another time when NOBODY else out there so we just walked the range & performed some drills. Did running gunning & 3-Gun competition without guns 2 & 3.

Reactive targets are the bomb!

I'm sure you'll agree keeping the area clean is very important. If you bring it in, haul it out.

https://youtu.be/q9iQCgyqpDQ

I'm thinking of a beautiful woodsy area with a flat ground. I've heard that off Mormon Emigrant Trail / Iron Mt. Road near Placerville has some spots.

You can always Private Message (PM) me if privacy is an issue. I'll tell you mine if you tell me yours.

Last edited by slyko; 05-13-2016 at 6:19 AM..
Old 05-20-2016, 11:57 PM

im thinking about trying the quarry over memorial day weekend for the first time.

is it pretty easy to find?
Old 06-18-2016, 7:52 PM

Bummer I just saw this, I would have definitely joined you over memorial day weekend. Gunner did you end up trying out the Quarry? Details?

Slyko, I think you've got the lot of them at least that I've heard of - Sly Park/Mormon Emigrant is probably next for ya, and I'm positive there should be more around Reno. I've never heard of 'The Stupid Spot' - is it by Oxbow reservoir? How did ya like it compared to the Quarry (I haven't yet been to either)
Old 07-16-2016, 1:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunks View Post
Bummer I just saw this, I would have definitely joined you over memorial day weekend. Gunner did you end up trying out the Quarry? Details?
bummer!

went out there with my gf and dog and had a great time. Shot the SCAR and the LWRC.

Was pretty easy to find ... obviously wouldnt suggest going unless you have a truck or solid SUV. We made it OK in a smaller sized SUV.

For about an hour, it was just us and one other person who was shooting a revolver at a smaller area about 30 yards away from the main spot. Very nice guy who chatted with us for a bit.

After about an hour though, a big group of people showed up and took up most the space with clay targets so we headed out

Wish i lived closer to this spot for sure..

WTB: FNX 45/Tac | Tac 12ga Shotgun | Noveske / LWRC
Old 07-18-2016, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerHouse View Post
bummer!

went out there with my gf and dog and had a great time. Shot the SCAR and the LWRC.

Was pretty easy to find ... obviously wouldnt suggest going unless you have a truck or solid SUV. We made it OK in a smaller sized SUV.

For about an hour, it was just us and one other person who was shooting a revolver at a smaller area about 30 yards away from the main spot. Very nice guy who chatted with us for a bit.

After about an hour though, a big group of people showed up and took up most the space with clay targets so we headed out

Ah right on.. what's about the farthest distance of a spot you can find there? Is it all pretty close up or is there anything 100+ yards?
Old 07-19-2016, 2:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunks View Post
Ah right on.. what's about the farthest distance of a spot you can find there? Is it all pretty close up or is there anything 100+ yards?
The quarry up in Forrest hill? It's been a while, and I didn't exactly measure it out, but you could probably get about 150-200 yards on fairly flat ground, and maybe 250-300 yards if you're willing to hike up the hill a little ways. Depending on where you set up and how many people are there that day.
Old 07-21-2016, 5:31 AM

Larkin Rd. Oroville long distance friendly.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:16 PM

By stupid spot in Auburn are you referring to the shooting spots off Finning Mill in Auburn?
Old 07-27-2016, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerHouse View Post
bummer!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surferchris1 View Post
The quarry up in Forrest hill? It's been a while, and I didn't exactly measure it out, but you could probably get about 150-200 yards on fairly flat ground, and maybe 250-300 yards if you're willing to hike up the hill a little ways. Depending on where you set up and how many people are there that day.
Just went up there for the first time last weekend, it was nice to finally get a visual check of the area compared to what Google Earth looks like. The area is about as small as I would have figured- it seemed like there were only 2 main shooting spots, and about 4 or 5 smaller/shorter areas? Was glad to see that it looks like you could get to an easy 100 yards out at the main area, even 200 if you hiked up a good way.

Is it usual for multiple parties to share the spot at the main shooting area? When I went there was pretty much one party set up at each area or mini area, so I ended up driving up to another, smaller spot nearby to keep to myself as well. I am planning to take some newbies shooting soon and would be bummed if some unsafe people set up next to us, though I wouldn't mind sharing with a safe/intelligent group! Pretty much the entire reason I'd want to go out there instead of Spenceville or Oroville.

And I agree, only thing I wish is that I was closer! Takes just over an hour from Roseville.

Last edited by jmunks; 07-29-2016 at 7:33 PM..
Old 07-28-2016, 11:36 PM

Was at the quarry on sunday evening and the drunkest Russian ive ever seen walked out of the bushes yelling and being an a**. He ended up being ok afterwards. Just be ready for whatever, your in no place for help to get to you if something goes bad. I shoot every weekend at the quarry and thats the first odd thing thats ever happened. Well that and some kids trying to shoot clays up on the hillside over everyone's head. They stopped after a few choice words.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:54 AM
Veteran Member

Smile

east of big trees, most os the dirt roads go to small sculeded places,
some crap, some good.

sad most will get closed in a short number of years, fools trash them.