Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder > Curio & Relic Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic Gallery Post pictures of your favorite milsurp here.

Old 10-25-2020, 1:18 PM
Veteran Member

Default FSSF relic - knife and SMG

I had been looking for a nice V42 dagger for some time.
I collect British fighting Knives, and the history, design + designers and conflicts have a spill over into US WW2 knife design and commando missions.

This one was issued, used, abused and has been re-tipped and worn, but when you consider the provenance of the ownership, the wear and tear is extraordinarily cool.

The First Special Service Force were a special unit, of Canadian and US commandoes, originally conceived to disrupt German forces in Norway.
They are the originator of present day US and Canadian Special Forces, indeed the crossed arrows of the Indian pathfinders are still used by the Green Berets, as is the Spearhead arm patch, even the V42 dagger itself is the dagger behind the Special Forces crest today.
There is even a song (or two) about the V42.
The FSSF and the V42 share a very special place in the history of unconventional warfare.

This dagger came with the Force Man's discharge papers (shown), some photographs (shown), and his Spearhead shoulder patch.
The other props are from my collection.
The Kiska patch is appropriate as he was in the Aleutian action.
The 474th patch is also appropriate as he continued to serve after the FSSF officially disbanded. The 474th (Vikings) was where some US service men transferred.

The small folder, is an Ulster "US" marked issue ski knife. The 10th Mountain Division were issued these, and the FSSF shared almost all of their cold weather gear. The Ulster folder has a Phillips head driver - quite rare in WW2, but used to tighten and loosen the ski-shoe.

This dagger won't mean much to 90% of the esteemed collectors here, but it's quite a special one. So I thought I'd share it.
There are a couple on Gunbroker right now, without Provenance, so quite cheap

The 21 grooves in the thumb print were made by the same machine that carved the leather handle.

Kiska Action patch on left. FSSF spearhead and 474th Viking ship.

The little Ulster 10th Mountain Division knife.

Many period images show the FSSF carrying 3X Thompson mags in 2X canvas - a practical if not very protective way to get access to them quickly.

Rear reinforcement plate.

The Forceman's discharge papers, didn't necessarily affect the price of the knife, as with all antiques, you buy the knife not the story, but they are traceable and verifiable.

The owner wearing his spearhead armpatch - like Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basterds.

On an original M1 - the simplified version of the M1928 - but not as simplified as the M1A1 -

The lovely little brother to the V42. The Ulster Ski folder.

Some appropriate props and the FSSF dagger.
A WW2 German map of the Spanish French border.
WW2 German infantry binoculars.
RIA .45acp, French military papers. Grenades and hi-x are inert.
M1 helmet.

Last edited by pitfighter; 11-20-2020 at 11:47 PM..
Old 10-25-2020, 1:26 PM
Veteran Member

Have to add this little item.
I was looking for an original sticker.
They are very expensive and difficult to verify, of course.

Found these being made by a Canadian Veterans group - monies went to their charity.

In WW2 the stickers were given to Force men to stick to the head of Germans they killed, as a way to psychologically disrupt.
It worked:
"The Black Devils are all around us every time we come into the line... We never hear them come..."
A lieutenant of the Herman Goering Division writing in his diary.

Translated the message on the sticker states: "The worst is yet to come."

The original had no red frame or unit designation, and was on matte stock, not shiny of course, it was 1943.

The Black Devils moniker came from the black-face paint the FSSF used for night fighting.

Old 10-25-2020, 1:32 PM

Amazing.
Old 10-25-2020, 2:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Very cool collection! I always really appreciate the members here who share with everyone their collection and go through the trouble photographing it such a great way.

Thank you pitfighter!

Also, I've never seen that sticker or heard that story of leaving that type of "Death Cards" like shown in Apocalypse Now, back during World War II. You can learn something new everyday.

And although I think it's the same meaning as you stated, the German to English translation is more similar to the phrase...

"The big end is still to come."

Thanks again!
Old 10-25-2020, 2:42 PM

His discharge paper shows he was a miner and came from Helena, MT - near where the FSSF originally trained. Very cool.
Old 10-25-2020, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you, Sealcan, I have no doubt my translation left something to be desired.

Yes, Jess, he would have been familiar with the landscape there.
Old 10-26-2020, 12:55 PM

You just need a Johnson LMG to go with the knife. I've read mulitple books on the FSSF, it's amazing what they pulled off.
Old 10-26-2020, 2:27 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie1965 View Post
You just need a Johnson LMG to go with the knife. I've read mulitple books on the FSSF, it's amazing what they pulled off.
Working on that - need a donor receiver from one of the rifles to build a clone. The 1941 rifles (even bubba jobs) are enjoying a price renaissance right now unfortunately, lol.