Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CALIFORNIA SHOOTING CLUBS AND ORGANIZATIONS > Friends of the NRA
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2019, 8:59 AM
Veteran Member

Default Attendance Way Down!

The Compton Hunting and Fishing Club held its FNRA dinner on Saturday, and attendance was much lower than previous years. We are usually a High Caliber Club and often win Top Net accolades. Instead of 100-120 people, there were perhaps 70.

Regardless, the food was great - many appetizers including deep fried turkeys and the main meal of a heavy salad bar, slow smoked brisket, baked beans, au gratin potatoes and cheesecake was enjoyed by all.

From what I have heard, all the FNRA events have been down this year....
Old 06-05-2019, 4:27 PM
Calguns Addict

This may be a rough time till something good breaks for the NRA.

The flack from the sleaze bag NYC lawyers and politicians is heavy.
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 06-05-2019, 4:32 PM

The San Jose attendance was also down. Though our table of 8 went home with 6 or 7 firearms. About the same haul as last year.

NRA Life Member: Benefactor
Calguns Supporter
CRPA Supporter
Second Amendment Foundation Life Member Defender Club
Old 06-09-2019, 4:26 PM

Until they get their sh straight I'll save my money and time for other things. Funding WLP's suits and travel and all the internal squabbling and being more an industry lobby than citizens' action committee has turned me off.

Also, I spend a ton of $$ at dinners like this and never win anything good. I always see top prizes go to head tables and I know it's probably not rigged but I still feel like a mark at the end of the night.
Old 06-11-2019, 10:18 AM
Veteran Member

The big spenders do win more prizes as they buy more tickets and thus increase their odds. At our dinner, we also have games to win specific guns (as I am sure most of dinners do, too.) Our dinner does have a couple smaller raffles where the odds at better - like a sponsor raffle for several guns where each sponsor gets only 1 ticket and an Early Bird raffle for a gun, where if you buy your ticket early, you get one ticket.

So are you going to contribute to CRPA, Gun Owners of America or some other pro-2A group rather than the NRA?
Old 06-17-2019, 6:29 PM

I have never wanted to be part of the NRA.
They do to many pro gun rallies with in a week of a shooting. That's just poor taste. They also dont do much for members. A local shop owner was arrested in 2006ish for selling assault weapons. He had lowers with mags and mag catches in and a 1/4 nut on the catch. The nut was welded to the catch. The Madison society helped him and his family. All charges were dropped. The NRA never returned his wife's calls. This happened in Modesto. The owner is now in free America. Working in the gun industry .
Old 06-18-2019, 8:12 AM

I missed the Big Bear one this weekend.
Unexpectedly had to go into work but I heard it was a little lower that usual and it was in a smaller venue this year...
Old 06-21-2019, 3:04 PM

Default 2a Wins

Short of some more magazine like rulings I don't know how its possible; its not like they will get a fair shake in the media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
This may be a rough time till something good breaks for the NRA.

The flack from the sleaze bag NYC lawyers and politicians is heavy.
Old 06-24-2019, 4:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Top man has to go. His hubris and appetite for cash have become a burden to the organization. He's not a prophet, he's a pig. A pig that don't fly straight.
Old 06-25-2019, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbapug1 View Post
Top man has to go. His hubris and appetite for cash have become a burden to the organization. He's not a prophet, he's a pig. A pig that don't fly straight.
Could not agree more.

I took my yearly membership to FPC
Old 06-30-2019, 3:27 PM
Veteran Member

May I ask who is FPC ? Just wondering, no attitude. Thanks

Psalm 1
Old 06-30-2019, 3:46 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Firearms Policy Coalition - they send me emails the same time Gavin sends me emails....

I am glad you do a Friends of the NRA banquet.... but maybe CRPA would be a better choice...

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 06-30-2019, 3:59 PM
Git-R-Done
CGN Contributor

Every time I hear an authoritarian dnc leftist attack and bash the NRA,
I'm glad I am a member. The dnc leftists want to see the NRA fold up,
I'll continue to support them and hope they manage to clean house.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassCase View Post
I only buy fireworks from Three Finger Willie over at One Eyed Jack's Fireworks.
iTrader

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1884858
Old 07-02-2019, 3:35 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Top man has to go... he's a pig. A pig that don't fly straight.
I am very committed member of the NRA, a life member for the last 20 some odd years and I will continue to support the NRA with my membership and my financial contributions. The NRA Is the only organization that is effective at the federal level to protect the second amendment. There is a reason that the gun grabbing Democrats Are constantly referencing the NRA. You don't hear them condemning and vilifying The Second Amendment foundation, the CRPA, or gun owners of America. Only the NRA is hated and despised by the enemies of the Constitution and the Second Amendment. That's all I need to know.

That said, clearly Wayne Lapierre has been at the helm of the NRA for far too long and needs to go.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 07-02-2019 at 3:38 PM..
Old 07-03-2019, 6:50 AM
Veteran Member

I agree, not interested in donating until Lapierre is gone...

Old 07-14-2019, 2:45 PM
Banned

Misallocated resources, poor management.

I sent a life menbership with auto withdraw and never seen a withdraw. When i called the said he couldnt help me and try to sell me ither crap. Its ran horribly, i would hate to see it go but the6 need to put out instead of hiding under a rock
Old 07-23-2019, 10:01 PM

Been an NRA member for 30 years except this year. There's a lot of in fighting and mismanagement of funds ongoing. Getting back to basics, the U.S. Constitution is absolute. And regarding the 2nd Amendment, what it says, is what it means. To think that it hasn't been tested in the U.S. Supreme Court is an embarrassment to all Americans. Where is the NRA in going against California gun restrictions, ammo, magazines ect? Exactly, its all about $$$$!!

I also give to the 2nd Amendment Foundation to.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:01 AM

I would think if evil forces in the US and around the world sow discord and division to destroy and overthrow country’s. Maybe there are evil forces trying to destroy the NRA from within. I support all things good like Freedom and The Constitution. Inasmuch as the NRA supports these principals I am for them. I can overlook some faults (same with our President).
You don’t have to be perfect to do some good.
Old 08-01-2019, 5:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
I am very committed member of the NRA, a life member for the last 20 some odd years and I will continue to support the NRA with my membership and my financial contributions. The NRA Is the only organization that is effective at the federal level to protect the second amendment. There is a reason that the gun grabbing Democrats Are constantly referencing the NRA. You don't hear them condemning and vilifying The Second Amendment foundation, the CRPA, or gun owners of America. Only the NRA is hated and despised by the enemies of the Constitution and the Second Amendment. That's all I need to know.

That said, clearly Wayne Lapierre has been at the helm of the NRA for far too long and needs to go.

This sums up my feelings also.
Old 08-01-2019, 9:29 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post
The Compton Hunting and Fishing Club held its FNRA dinner on Saturday, and attendance was much lower than previous years. We are usually a High Caliber Club and often win Top Net accolades. Instead of 100-120 people, there were perhaps 70.

Regardless, the food was great - many appetizers including deep fried turkeys and the main meal of a heavy salad bar, slow smoked brisket, baked beans, au gratin potatoes and cheesecake was enjoyed by all.

I forgot about it or may have attended. I have a feeling like with gun shows that the core attendees are in many cases dying off. Are you all seeing a lot of younger fresher new faces at these events?

Most gun shows are mainly an older White male crowd and I remember these dinners being mainly the same way as well.
Old 08-02-2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I forgot about it or may have attended. I have a feeling like with gun shows that the core attendees are in many cases dying off. Are you all seeing a lot of younger fresher new faces at these events?

Most gun shows are mainly an older White male crowd and I remember these dinners being mainly the same way as well.
As far as Gun Clubs and Shows your right, but when going to the ranges I seen as young as 9 year old girls shooting with dad. There are lots of teens to 20s going to Shooting Ranges these days, but few Old White men. I also saw a group of young employees from local tech company doing a shooting day out at the range. Not bad. I dont think many 20 year old actual are aware of these social clubs and shows.
Old 08-05-2019, 9:45 PM

For all the spam emails and junk mail the NRA sends, I don’t recall getting notices on the Friends dinners. Do they only share my personal information with their stupid wine of the month club and not their local chapters?
Old 08-07-2019, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post

We are seeing more families, actually, with younger children, as well as individuals in their 30s, even some in their 20s. This is just at our dinner, though. Mixed races and ethnicities.
Old 08-21-2019, 12:33 PM

Only NRA members can clean up the NRA. everyone else just withholds it's money. I was never a club person but i donated at local fund raising until certain people took over and when my NRA friends complained i quit donating and won't start again until they are happy with what they have. The problem is they have to clean up their own place.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:40 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
That's where I'm at as well. I can't reward corruption. I hope they know this sooner rather than later.
Old 08-30-2019, 12:24 PM
Calguns Addict

I'm a lifetime member, but currently i wont give them any more $. I also dropped their carryguard product as they would not give me a straight answer as to its status if push came to shove. They also wouldn't give me a prorated refund... classy. They don't do much for us in Cali, so until they change the head and actually back us strongly, its whatevers.

1A-2A = -1A
Old 08-30-2019, 12:47 PM
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
For all the spam emails and junk mail the NRA sends, I don’t recall getting notices on the Friends dinners. Do they only share my personal information with their stupid wine of the month club and not their local chapters?
This.

http://media.liveauctiongroup.net/i/...CCAB7CE8D70F60
Old 08-30-2019, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M76 View Post
Every time I hear an authoritarian dnc leftist attack and bash the NRA,
I'm glad I am a member. The dnc leftists want to see the NRA fold up,
I'll continue to support them and hope they manage to clean house.
I feel the same.
Old 08-30-2019, 5:07 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsefan View Post
They do to many pro gun rallies with in a week of a shooting. That's just poor taste. They also dont do much for members. A local shop owner was arrested in 2006ish for selling assault weapons. He had lowers with mags and mag catches in and a 1/4 nut on the catch. The nut was welded to the catch. The Madison society helped him and his family. All charges were dropped. The NRA never returned his wife's calls. This happened in Modesto. The owner is now in free America. Working in the gun industry .
Yeah don't do anything to defend 2A. Just post whiney complaints against those who are (actually defending YOUR 2A rights).
CRPA Member

....."He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harrass our people, and eat out their substance."

Declaration of Independence, 1776
Old 09-03-2019, 12:05 AM
Veteran Member

i bought into the life thing, but about all i get from the nra is from there "partner" they want me to buy there sh1t.
as to the dinners, heck i got bills to pay, so can not afford to go to a dried up chicken, rubber steak dinner.
Old 09-04-2019, 6:58 AM

I go to about 7 NRA dinners each year. Haven't had any rubber steaks or dried chicken. Food is usually pretty good. The money from the dinners goes to shooting sports. No political speeches (other than table conversation). The auctions are fun (can be expensive though), and the comradery is great.
Friends of NRA website has all the info you need.
Old 09-07-2019, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess B. Guy View Post
I go to about 7 NRA dinners each year. Haven't had any rubber steaks or dried chicken. Food is usually pretty good. The money from the dinners goes to shooting sports. No political speeches (other than table conversation). The auctions are fun (can be expensive though), and the comradery is great.
Friends of NRA website has all the info you need.
As he says, the money raised at the dinners goes towards local shooting sports cause, groups and projects. The Boy Scouts, other youth groups and shooting clubs are eligible for grants to improve their programs or facilities. Our club's youth program (a 503c organization) has gotten funds to host youth pheasant hunts and shooting clinics.

As I help cook for our dinner - all the food is donated by our club to improve the profits of the event - I can say there is no rubber steak or dried chicken. We start the night before with smoking beef brisket with red oak all night long. Appetizers including deep fried turkey are served during the games. Dinner starts with a huge salad bar. Dinner includes the brisket, home made baked beans, green beans with mushrooms, bacon and onions, rolls and the starch varies between mac and cheese, au gratin potatoes or rice pilaf. Sometimes grilled shrimp is included with the dinner. Cheesecake is usually the desert. We get rave reviews for our food.
Old 09-08-2019, 10:05 PM
Calguns Addict

Went to my last one last year. Same big time sponsors took home all the guns, same as every other one I've attended. I'm a Life Member and am sick of LaPierre receiving and spending big bucks while shrilly complaining that the NRA's finances are in disarray. I'm equally sick of the political infighting among the directors. FPC gets my donations until the NRA house is cleaned up.
Old 09-09-2019, 4:58 AM
Banned

There is a real serious problem with financial integrity at the NRA. It is apparent that the leadership of the NRA is using the organization's money for their own lavish life styles. It is totally corrupt to be using sub contractors for personal services. I am certain Ollie understood this as Government people undergoing yearly training on ethics and not using contractors for personal services is always addressed.

We know that the NRA was sending membership money to a subcontractor and requiring that subcontractor to provide clothing to a board member. I have no doubt Wayne was also requiring travel services, booking flights and hotels, limo services, laundry, groceries, lawn and house maintenance, pet care, etc, etc. You can go down the list of the types of free services you want someone to do to make your life easy, and I have no doubt, the NRA board and Wayne were using NRA membership money for these personnel services.

This is bad. And the fact Ollie could not fire Wayne and his cronies just shows the NRA leadership is corrupt.

Old 09-13-2019, 12:22 PM

I left the NRA when they abandoned Philando Castile, a law abiding citizen/teacher with a CCW. He was immediately treated as the cause of the incident, without trial or waiting for further information. it was all blue line first, civies second. I realized then the NRA doesn't really care about minority gun ownership. Or if they do, they missed one hell of a time to show it/support it. My money goes to CRPA now.
Old 09-18-2019, 9:46 AM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calif Hunter View Post

Overall, FNRA attendance is down all over the country and no it has nothing to do with the NRA's finances or management. To dispel a lot of the negative comments about NRA in this thread, NONE of the funds collected (at least here in El Dorado County) go to NRA. It stays right here. Actually, at our dinners FNRA announces to whom ALL of their dinner revenue goes to. In El Dorado County, FNRA is the primary fundraiser for the EDC Sheriffs Explorers, they are like the scouts but they train with the Sheriffs Dept in preparation for joining the academy.

Attendance is simply cause and effect. Low interest in 2A due to pro gun administration = low FNRA attendance. Next year (election year) you'll likely see most events sell out again.

I'm personal friends with the NorCal FNRA organizer. He handles 20+ events from Fresno to the Oregon border and says attendance is down but not significantly. We have two here in EDC that still sell out every time. The next one is game night on 10/11.

We have been donating stock kits and sponsoring game tables for years at FNRA events in CA, NY, CT, and NJ.
It's a great organization that does a lot of good things.

Oh and YES!! The food is always awesome!!

Thordo

Last edited by Thordo; 09-18-2019 at 9:48 AM..
Old 09-18-2019, 10:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsefan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CABilly View Post
Until they get their sh straight I'll save my money and time for other things. Funding WLP's suits and travel and all the internal squabbling and being more an industry lobby than citizens' action committee has turned me off.

Also, I spend a ton of $$ at dinners like this and never win anything good. I always see top prizes go to head tables and I know it's probably not rigged but I still feel like a mark at the end of the night.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norsemen308 View Post
Could not agree more.

I took my yearly membership to FPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi Jah View Post
That's where I'm at as well. I can't reward corruption. I hope they know this sooner rather than later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy14 View Post
I'm a lifetime member, but currently i wont give them any more $. I also dropped their carryguard product as they would not give me a straight answer as to its status if push came to shove. They also wouldn't give me a prorated refund... classy. They don't do much for us in Cali, so until they change the head and actually back us strongly, its whatevers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamfire1 View Post
There is a real serious problem with financial integrity at the NRA. It is apparent that the leadership of the NRA is using the organization's money for their own lavish life styles. It is totally corrupt to be using sub contractors for personal services. I am certain Ollie understood this as Government people undergoing yearly training on ethics and not using contractors for personal services is always addressed.

We know that the NRA was sending membership money to a subcontractor and requiring that subcontractor to provide clothing to a board member. I have no doubt Wayne was also requiring travel services, booking flights and hotels, limo services, laundry, groceries, lawn and house maintenance, pet care, etc, etc. You can go down the list of the types of free services you want someone to do to make your life easy, and I have no doubt, the NRA board and Wayne were using NRA membership money for these personnel services.

This is bad. And the fact Ollie could not fire Wayne and his cronies just shows the NRA leadership is corrupt.

Do you let the media make all your decisions for you or just this one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross

We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.

What doesn't kill me, better run
Old 09-20-2019, 6:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
I am very committed member of the NRA, a life member for the last 20 some odd years and I will continue to support the NRA with my membership and my financial contributions. The NRA Is the only organization that is effective at the federal level to protect the second amendment. There is a reason that the gun grabbing Democrats Are constantly referencing the NRA. You don't hear them condemning and vilifying The Second tAmendment foundation, the CRPA, or gun owners of America. Only the NRA is hated and despised by the enemies of the Constitution and the Second Amendment. That's all I need to know.

Could not agree more ...
Old 09-20-2019, 7:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordo View Post
To dispel a lot of the negative comments about NRA in this thread, NONE of the funds collected (at least here in El Dorado County) go to NRA. It stays right here. Actually, at our dinners FNRA announces to whom ALL of their dinner revenue goes to. In El Dorado County, FNRA is the primary fundraiser for the EDC Sheriffs Explorers, they are like the scouts but they train with the Sheriffs Dept in preparation for joining the academy.

Attendance is simply cause and effect. Low interest in 2A due to pro gun administration = low FNRA attendance. Next year (election year) you'll likely see most events sell out again.

It's a great organization that does a lot of good things.

Oh and YES!! The food is always awesome!!

Thordo
Alan, thanks for your input. Tonight I will attend my first Friends of NRA diner in San Mateo and am completely psyched. I took my first handgun class with the NRA as Massachusetts required training to get handgun permit or even touch handgun at gun shop. I have never looked back and will continue to support the NRA as I have for the last 35 years. This year, I hope to get instructor ratings during Richmond Rod and Gun training week.
Old 09-20-2019, 4:40 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
Alan, thanks for your input. Tonight I will attend my first Friends of NRA diner in San Mateo and am completely psyched. I took my first handgun class with the NRA as Massachusetts required training to get handgun permit or even touch handgun at gun shop. I have never looked back and will continue to support the NRA as I have for the last 35 years. This year, I hope to get instructor ratings during Richmond Rod and Gun training week.
Have a good time and win lots of stuff!!... By stuff I mean GUNS!!

Thordo