Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 03-07-2023, 8:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Examples

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/973951687

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/959405280

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/964850647

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966436777

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/965998845

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)
Old 03-11-2023, 7:53 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOdessa View Post
Why reinvent the wheel. 6.5 Creedmoor simply works, if you shoot it enough and want something else, then look for some other more exotic round. Personally, I would have preferred 6.5x55 Swedish, but 6.5 Creedmoor was available in Tikka T3x CTR and I have no regrets. I did replaced trigger with two stage Timney and stock with KRG Bravo.

Very tastefully nice setup. I like it.
Old 03-14-2023, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaunBrady View Post
Yea, nobody would ever figure you were some sort of professional photographer.......
LOL!!!!!!

Its a great pic black rifle on black background and perfect lighting....
Old 03-17-2023, 7:03 AM
Veteran Member

I have a custom 6mm CM and it is fun gun to run. It?s good out to 1300 M then it runs out of gas. With the brake you can watch the impacts thru the Trijicon. Using Hornady Match Ammo it is very accurate and you can reuse the brass if you reload.

Pick up a Lab Radar and you?ll save a lot of ammo by really dialing in your velocities.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2023, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capybara View Post

If you were a newb at trying to shoot at 600-1,000 yards, which cartridge, in a relatively available and affordable bolt gun would you select and why?
To answer the original question, 6 BRA without a doubt. They’re breaking
records in 600/1000 benchrest. Cheaper bullets, less powder, pretty sure
the ballistics are better than the Creedmoor (I haven’t compared #’s though).
Fire a Lapua 6 BR case with the bullet jammed & you now have a BRA case
with an extra 100-150 fps velocity.

Savage LRP (or ?) in 6BR, have Randall run a BRA reamer in and get going.

Or, Sako 6.5 Creed on sale here?

https://www.eurooptic.com/Sako-S20-P...JRS20P382.aspx

-Rick

Last edited by Switchbarrel; 03-20-2023 at 8:18 AM..
Old 03-21-2023, 5:22 PM
Veteran Member

6mm Dasher.
Old 06-17-2023, 4:37 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefrank64k View Post
Thank goodness, this will be a short thread.

pretty sure you pegged the sarcasm meeter!
Old 06-17-2023, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous308 View Post
A lot of options to choose from. I am partial to 6.5CM. It?s extremely flat shooting, low recoil, and relatively available. I?m currently at 1,000-1,200 yards and I used to have to lob 308 out there. The 6.5 CM trajectory is like a laser beam to the target.
Thats my next rifle 6.5 cm
Old 06-17-2023, 4:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
6.5 Creedmoor for easy going. Tikka seems popular in some circles. CTR, UPR, and T3TacA1 all use the same magazines IIRC. Some models are on sale at EuroOptics.
leaning Tikka myslef
Old 06-18-2023, 9:33 PM
Calguns Addict

The New 30 Cal GC Cartridge.

Specs on the new round are a bit fuzzy except for the 'GC' which means Get Closer.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
Magnums like the 6.5PRC have too much recoil and too little barrel life.
For target shooting, you get better barrel life and less recoil from a 6mm creedmoor or any other short action 6mm than a 6.5PRC.

The 6.5PRC is really a perfect mountain goat cartridge.
you wouldn't use something bigger like a 300 prc?
Old 08-29-2023, 2:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinydexactual View Post
you wouldn't use something bigger like a 300 prc?
For goats?
Why?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 08-29-2023, 3:05 PM

longer ****, bigger sheep?
Old 08-29-2023, 3:32 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
longer ****, bigger sheep?
I don't want the extra drop, wind drift or recoil of a 30 caliber when a lighter recoiling and flatter shooting caliber will do the job.
Old 08-29-2023, 4:47 PM

what would be a use case for 300 PRC in your opinion
Old 09-03-2023, 1:28 PM
Calguns Addict

How about that new 7mm PRC? It looks like what the 7mm Rem Mag probably would be were the latter designed today. The 7mm bullets appear to have the highest BC's out there, from what I can tell, even over the 6.5mm's.

Thoughts on this cartridge? And no, I don't own one; I'll probably be shooting my 7mm Rem Mag for the next several decades.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 09-04-2023, 7:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post
How about that new 7mm PRC? It looks like what the 7mm Rem Mag probably would be were the latter designed today. The 7mm bullets appear to have the highest BC's out there, from what I can tell, even over the 6.5mm's.

Thoughts on this cartridge? And no, I don't own one; I'll probably be shooting my 7mm Rem Mag for the next several decades.
I'm keeping my eyes on the 7mm PRC, 6.8 Western, and the .277 Sig Fury closely. I like the Fury's performance out of shorter barrels which allows you to cut down on weight. But my use is more for hunting than long range competition.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!" - Senator Barry Goldwater

Last edited by k1dude; 09-04-2023 at 7:43 PM..
Old 09-12-2023, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy T View Post

In general, I think betting against the Hornady marketing engine isn't a good long game, but I'm guessing you'll be shooting that 7RM for a while longer.

In the past, Hornady products have followed a pretty consistent arc. They're introduced and demand is high for a year or two. Then they become readily available at discounted prices. I started a 7mm/300 PRC project the summer before the 'Rona came to town. Hornady 300 PRC brass and dies were both on sale at Midway. Between Rona overstaying her welcome and Biden, ammo and gun availability still haven't recovered. Even if I were in the market for a new 7mm magnum, I'd probably stick with the 7mm RM until after at least the next election.

As near as I can tell, the performance increase with the 7PRC over the 7RM come from 4 changes and you can include over half of them with store bought ammo. Three out of four if you reload. The changes are modern bullets, modern powders, higher pressure, and faster twist.

A quick approximation can be obtained from the 200 yard zero 500 yard drop numbers provided by Remington and Hornady.

Cartridge, velocity/bullet, 500 yard drop in inches, 500 yard drop in mils

7mm RM, 3110 /150 Core Lokt, -40.9, 2.27
7mm RM, 2940 / 162 ELDx, -36.9, 2.05
7mm WSM, 3000 / 162 ELDx, -35.0, 1.94
7mm PRC, 3000 / 175 ELDx, -34.2, 1.90

I included the 7wsm because it has a similar case capacity to the RM and operates at 65,000 psi instead of 61,000. It's intended as a higher pressure modern powder example.

I used 500 yards because it's beyond the range most hunters would attempt. A lot of practice with bipod, range finder and ballistic app would be required and these just are not part of what most want from their hunting experience.

At this distance, the differences are small. Insignificant if you buy Hornady ammo for everything.

If you look at the point blank range, the results would look a little better for the 7 PRC until it's considered that the benefits are only available at distances farther than most would attempt.

I don't think it'll catch on as a long range target cartridge. It doesn't offer anything steel shooters want over the 7wsm. 7mm versions of the 6.5 PRC seem to be catching on with the 1000 yard paper shooters. For ELR, the 300 PRC has more performance.

The 7 PRC looks well matched for the newer actions that are limited to the old long action magazine length of 3.38". Tika and Ruger American come to mind.

That's my take on it anyway.
Old 09-12-2023, 10:29 AM

Quote:
what would be a use case for 300 PRC in your opinion
Elk, chambered in a standard magnum weight rifle. If the first two decisions were 250 pound animals and lightweight gun, the 300 PRC would be taken off the list by experienced shooters. If you don't practice with it, you won't be able to use the range it offers. If you do practice with it, you'll get worse instead of better.

For shooting steel beyond a mile, it's a lower cost, lower recoiling substitute for the 338 Lapua.
Old 09-14-2023, 6:50 AM

I started shooting long range about 8 years ago (maybe more). Chose the 6.5 CM because I don't hand load and good match-grade factory ammo was plentiful. Haven't had the need/desire to switch to something else. Works for me. If you hand load, maybe you'll enjoy another caliber/cartridge. If you want to hunt, maybe something else is better. If you're strictly hand loading and shooting targets, maybe 260 Rem. since you can load it a bit hotter than the CM with the same projectile. If you want a long-action round, there's 7 PRC and others like that. So many options out there now.

As far as rifle platforms go, I would NEVER buy a complete, off-the-shelf rifle. For the same money, if not less, you can build your own custom. Choose your custom 700-pattern action that accepts pre-fits, custom barrel blank (or barreled action), trigger, and chassis. All for under $3K. If you want something more traditional, you can go with a custom stock w/DBM and have a smith bed it and chamber a barrel for you. Some well-known custom 700 actions are:

Defiance Deviant
Lone Peak Arms Fuzion
Impact Precision 737R
American Rifle Company
Zermatt Arms
Terminus
Curtis Custom

These rifles pictured were under $3,000 each (without optic). And they can shoot 3-round groups in the teens at 100 yards (0.12 MOA), 5-rounds under 0.25 MOA, and first-round hits out to 1,200 are boring at this point. After that, the 6.5 CM starts to lose steam. But that's as far as I need to shoot anyway.

Defiance Deviant action
Bartlein barrels
Jewell trigger
Surgeon DBM
McMillian A5 stock w/Loggerhead hardware
Chambered by Jon Beanland

Last edited by FourT6and2; 09-14-2023 at 6:55 AM..
Old 09-16-2023, 5:24 AM
Calguns Addict

That's some good shooting there, FourT6and2.

Nothing at all wrong with the 6.5CM. Marketing hype aside, it seems to be succeeding based on its actual merits. It looks like a fine all-around cartridge that's kinda in the middle between the .243 Win and the 7mm-08 Rem. Had I not already standardized on the 7mm-08 and 7mm Rem Mag, I might well have gone for the 6.5CM myself.

And yep, I'll be shooting my 7mm Rem Mag for a long time to come. It just...works. But for someone getting into it fresh, there are plenty of fine choices. Basically, pick one, practice a lot with it (that's really the most important part, the practice!), and get good at your marksmanship, as FourT6and2 has most aptly demonstrated above.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 10-25-2023, 1:39 PM

I was in a similar situation although I have no need for a custom rifle. I wanted to shoot steel out to 1400yds. My friend had a RPR and I shot it several times. I'd never buy an RPR, and he has since sold his. I ended up going with a Browning X-bolt Long Range Max in 6.5 PRC and I'm very happy with it.