Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 05-17-2019, 7:07 PM

Default Youtube: How to buy ammo online/COE+FFL03

The Youtuber Reno May, has made a quick vid on why you should get your FFL03 and COE. With the recent posts asking about this, I thought I would share. He has helpful links in the video description.
Old 05-17-2019, 9:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Tagged, good vid. Time to stop dragging my feet and burning through my reserves.
Old 05-17-2019, 10:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Excellent video. Bookmarked.

I’m hoping to have my live scan completed next week.
Old 05-18-2019, 5:23 AM
Calguns Addict

Will watch this. Thanks!
Old 05-18-2019, 7:48 AM
Veteran Member

This loop hole will be closed sooner then later

Ruger Mk lll 22/45 .22lr $375 , Uberti SAA .357 $290 for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483671
Old 05-18-2019, 9:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

The only exception is a city municiple code that would prevent it...e.g. city of los angeles prevents it and many will not ship to your 03FFL/COE if you reside in the city of LA.

I am hopeful that the Rhodes lawsuit will prevail and this whole thing "enjoined from enforcement"

CGF Contributor
NRA, CRPA LIFE MEMBER
Beretta 90 series, GLOCK (Gen 1-5, G42/43), Colt AR15/M16/M4, Sig P320, Remington 870, HK UMP Factory Armorer
Remington Nylon, 1911, HK, Ruger Armorer just for fun!
Old 05-18-2019, 9:20 AM

Couple of problems I see, one is the IRS will consider you a business with your FFL and they do not allow you to use a FFL for a hobby. You will have to keep a bound book for gun transactions and report to IRS for the tax side of it, don't make a profit for 3-5 years they gonna not like it. The state of Calif side of this I have no clue anymore but the Franchise Tax Board (maybe a new name now?) ain't gonna let you do business without the proper stuff. Maybe this will work or at least for a while but it wouldn't work when I had my FFL. If it does work then more power to ya.
Old 05-18-2019, 9:34 AM
Calguns Addict

Thumbs up

Go to website

- pick caliber
- pick type (JHP, FMJ, etc.)
- pick quantity
- checkout
- wait for ammo to arrive at my door!

FREE STATE WINNING!
Old 05-18-2019, 9:46 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
This loop hole will be closed sooner then later
Sure, someone politician might call it that. But I think it's easy to dispel and the political payoff crusading against it is next to nothing.

"Yeah, like... well, I just want to slap a hippie or two. Maybe even make them get jobs."

Old 05-18-2019, 10:12 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
Couple of problems I see, one is the IRS will consider you a business with your FFL and they do not allow you to use a FFL for a hobby. You will have to keep a bound book for gun transactions and report to IRS for the tax side of it, don't make a profit for 3-5 years they gonna not like it. The state of Calif side of this I have no clue anymore but the Franchise Tax Board (maybe a new name now?) ain't gonna let you do business without the proper stuff. Maybe this will work or at least for a while but it wouldn't work when I had my FFL. If it does work then more power to ya.
the ffl type 3 is a collectors license....not a business license....
Old 05-18-2019, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
Yes, this is not a business and BATF states in the regs and license that you cannot conduct a business/for profit with this classification.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
Sure, someone politician might call it that. But I think it's easy to dispel and the political payoff crusading against it is next to nothing.
I agree with you.
Old 05-18-2019, 3:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by el tardo View Post
First off letís get this straight this is not a loophole. Itís written right in the law that was passed per ammo regulations
Yes. Passed by the legislature and the voters both.

It is beyond my area of knowledge, but I suspect there must be some sort of view / written opinion / case law that makes it clear that failure to provide an exemption for federal firearms licensees who also hold a CA certificate of exemption proves fatal to various firearms related laws? Would love for someone to make it clear to me.

The CoE + FFL license exemption runs through a fair number of CA laws. I've wondered if, since the underlying "reasoning" for a fair number of laws that might be seen to infringe the 2A relates to keeping certain items out of reach from prohibited persons, to deny those items or actions to those persons who have demonstrated to the feds and state that they are not prohibited would imperil the entire law.

Again, would love to understand why this seems prevalent in even restrictive lawmakers' views.

In any event, it is not a "loophole" when it is affirmatively written into the law. Someone *decided* that the exemption was prudent or required; it wasn't overlooked.

I am not your lawyer. I am not providing legal advice. I am commenting on an internet forum. Should you need or want legal advice, please consult an attorney.
Old 05-18-2019, 4:20 PM
Veteran Member

They will see it same as "ghost guns".

Someone ordering 10,000 rounds at a time and "giving" some to friends. Just like mag rebuild kits.

Use it while it lasts.

If we would just stop fighting all these laws and let them ban it all we could really take the fight to courts and stop nickel and diming this crap.

Instead we all.cheer when there is some "exemption/loophole"... sse/mag rebuilds/off roster out of state/BB/featureless...

Ban them all..lets take a few years to fight this instead of piece meal over 30 + years which is where we are now

Ruger Mk lll 22/45 .22lr $375 , Uberti SAA .357 $290 for sale
http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1483671
Old 05-18-2019, 4:29 PM
Calguns Addict

What disappoints me is that people need a video to tell them how to do this. There have been plenty of written posts documenting how this all works.

Distinguished Rifleman #1924
NRA Certified Instructor (Rifle and Metallic Cartridge Reloading) and RSO
https://www.ocabj.net | http://jocabphoto.com

My AR15 Service Rifle - Used for CMP/NRA High Power Service Rifle Competitions
My Eliseo R5 (Remington 700) Tube Gun - Used for NRA High Power (Match Category) Competitions
My M1 Garand Service Rifle - Used for JCG Matches, rebuilt by Dean's Gun Restorations
Old 05-18-2019, 5:00 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokerB View Post
. . .
Regardless of how you or I see the various prohibitions in California law (buying directly, "giving" ammo to friends), how do mag rebuild kits even approach an analogy that enlightens in this instance?

Quote:
If we would just stop fighting all these laws and let them ban it all we could really take the fight to courts and stop nickel and diming this crap.
I myself wouldn't endorse "stop fighting" these laws until we can really take the fight to the courts. The courts, whatever their predilections, are going to decide based on law and upper-court decisions, and the best we can do is keep the pressure on with thoughtful, well-articulated arguments. There may be strategy in waiting for more controlling opinions or the right fact pattern for a test case, but waiting until they've gone 'beyond the pale' hasn't really produced a lot of positive benefits for us in the 9th circuit. The roster is still on appeal, for example.

Quote:
Instead we all.cheer when there is some "exemption/loophole"... sse/mag rebuilds/off roster out of state/BB/featureless...

Ban them all..lets take a few years to fight this instead of piece meal over 30 + years which is where we are now
Who is cheering? People are using the law to exercise rights as best they are able to under existing law - and at the same time, challenging those same laws as unconstitutional and an infringement of their rights.

Why do you think PPT / off-roster sales are possible? Is it because the legislators in CA want to permit the sale of these firearms? Or is it perhaps because it is widely recognized (now) that restricting the private sale from one resident to another is beyond the reach of the legislature?

If you think that a challenge to a law that "really, really, really infringes" as opposed to one that "just barely infringes" a right is so all powerful, perhaps you can reference an example? It might attract the attention of the US Supreme Court when it is egregious (and that's a good thing), but does giving a pass to piecemeal infringements really serve us in California or other restrictive states? I like that there are numerous 9th circuit opinions that will be embarrassing eventually (i.e., not be supportable) after a favorable SC opinion on the 2A (Jackson, Peruta, for example ought to be rendered embarrassing to the majority); and the knots that the 9th circuit has tied itself into following various challenges highlights why putting a challenge on record illuminates the discussion around the rights of the people.

I don't think a strategy of "wait, wait, wait . . . wait . . . now - MAGIC BULLET!" is a great litigation strategy. You may have another view. But I don't understand it if you do - please enlighten me and others.

I am not your lawyer. I am not providing legal advice. I am commenting on an internet forum. Should you need or want legal advice, please consult an attorney.
Old 05-18-2019, 6:42 PM

Reno if you're reading this I like the freedom week mag vid, on the carpet in the living room and all lol. love it!