Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-04-2018, 6:25 PM
Veteran Member

Default Packable emergency radio/light

Heard this was the best, what do you think?
Eton Scorpion ll https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Old 10-04-2018, 7:11 PM

I guess that depends on your requirements.

I prefer a handheld HAM radio with AM/FM & NOAA channells, an LED flashlight, and a solar charger. There are many options for each, it depends on your specific desires and price range.
Old 10-04-2018, 7:48 PM
CGSSA Leader

Does anyone actually use those hand cranks?

I have a couple of Kaito Voyager radios kicking around, but strictly for background listening, and then only if there are no working cars nearby... for hiking or otherwise bugging out, I'd also go with a multiband HT and a solar panel charger.

Lots of choices for lighting. Doesn't need to be attached to your radio. I have six lights (regular flashlight x2, tacticalish penlite, clip-on LED, headlamp, D-cell strobe / area light) plus cyalumes in my first responder bag...

Ask me about Appleseed! Send a PM or see me in the Appleseed subforum.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:24 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreWeFree View Post
Heard this was the best, what do you think?
Eton Scorpion ll https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1
Having an emergency am/fm/noaa radio has value if you don't have anything now.

Most of these radios are cheap ChiCom crap. Not robust for hard use and they're still expensive for what they are. I have an old Eton tho. Paid $30 for it and it's basically a kitchen radio. Always plugged in and charging.

Charging a smart phone from NO BOOT batt condition to bootable will give you carpal tunnel. Topping off a phone? Maybe, but you'll burn lots of calories doing it and still get you carpal tunnel. Like reeling in a 12oz. bass on 1k yards of Spiderwire.

There are better long term solutions the others guys have already mentioned above.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-05-2018, 10:38 AM
Calguns Addict

"When the battery stops charging, can you replace it?" is always the questionI ask myself...

$45 for an item that only supplies 800mah juice seems pretty steep to me... When my phone is 3200mah.

If you could drop in new 18650's or something, I'd pay 1/2 that price for it... As a mid-grade 18650 hold about 2400mah...

Last edited by the86d; 10-05-2018 at 10:57 AM..
Old 10-05-2018, 10:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default Packable emergency radio/light

Yep at that price a Baofeng UV5R and AAA battery holder pack is a way better deal for a few more dollars.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member

Last edited by lordmorgul; 10-05-2018 at 10:46 AM..
Old 10-05-2018, 11:02 AM

I like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Midland-Eme.../dp/B015QIC1PW

For extra karma points use smile and set NRA as your charity ....
Old 10-05-2018, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedle View Post
I like this one: https://smile.amazon.com/Midland-Eme.../dp/B015QIC1PW

For extra karma points use smile and set NRA as your charity ....
Or even better . . . the Calguns Foundation!
Old 10-05-2018, 2:25 PM

+ for Deedle
Old 10-05-2018, 2:55 PM

Boafeng UV5R has all that minus the handcrank.
Old 10-05-2018, 3:00 PM
I need a LIFE!!

I'd get this.

https://www.amazon.com/American-Emer...CJL&ref=plSrch

The loudest sound in the world is a “click” when you need a “bang.”
Old 10-05-2018, 3:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 682beretta View Post
+ for Deedle
One thing I like about the Midland is that it uses a standard 18650 LiON cell to store power. I also like the brand for historic reasons but of course this radio is Chinese.
Old 10-06-2018, 4:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post
Yep at that price a Baofeng UV5R and AAA battery holder pack is a way better deal for a few more dollars.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
NRA Life Member, Calguns.net contributor, CGF / SAF / CRPA / FPC / NRA-ILA contributor, USCCA member
This right here.

If something local going on like power outages/fire/natural disaster...you can bet your bottom dollar local hams will be on with the 411.

Just the other day we had a power surge and everything flickered. I turned on the old 5r and sure enough, the 2m repeater started relaying it was on battery power. Few seconds later, the usual hams came on saying they were without power. With their conversation and with one of the hams being car mobile, we could estimate what part of the city went dark and could plan to avoid that part of town for shopping.

Another example is during a big fire a few years back, with the same 5r, we could monitor the primary fire channels coming out of the Onxy Peak repeater. We could hear real time vehicle logisitics, firefighter personnel medical emergencies, firefighter vehicle breakdowns, fire containment and more. Way better than the local radio stations.
Old 10-06-2018, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by as_rocketman View Post
Does anyone actually use those hand cranks?

I have a couple of Kaito Voyager radios kicking around, but strictly for background listening, and then only if there are no working cars nearby... for hiking or otherwise bugging out, I'd also go with a multiband HT and a solar panel charger.

Lots of choices for lighting. Doesn't need to be attached to your radio. I have six lights (regular flashlight x2, tacticalish penlite, clip-on LED, headlamp, D-cell strobe / area light) plus cyalumes in my first responder bag...
I have a Kato Voyager too and yes I've used the hand crank several times. I think its a great radio for emergencies to have in your house or vehicle. Lots of features...shortwave and NOAA (in addition to AM/FM), solar, USB, emergency light, etc. It picks up stations very clear in my experience. I always keep it handy.

Old 10-06-2018, 7:30 PM
Veteran Member

The guys recommending the HAM Radio NOAA AM/FM combo are correct.

We had a blackout here and the NOAA band was worthless wished I had a HAM that night.
America was founded by men who understood that the threat of domestic tyranny is as great as any threat from abroad. If we want to be worthy of their legacy, we must resist the rush toward ever-increasing state control of our society. Otherwise, our own government will become a greater threat to our freedoms than any foreign terrorist.

-Ron Paul
Old 10-09-2018, 5:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENTHUSIAST View Post
The guys recommending the HAM Radio NOAA AM/FM combo are correct.

We had a blackout here and the NOAA band was worthless wished I had a HAM that night.
I wonder if a wind turbine feeding a battery with an inverter powering a internet modem, router, & laptop would be a worth while investment? I have cable internet, I believe it would still function in a localized power outage.
Old 10-09-2018, 6:13 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckD View Post
I wonder if a wind turbine feeding a battery with an inverter powering a internet modem, router, & laptop would be a worth while investment? I have cable internet, I believe it would still function in a localized power outage.

I like the concept.

Old 10-09-2018, 9:16 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

My router and modem, switches, and backup drives are connected to a APS BackUps uninterruptible supply battery. I still lose cable internet every time. I think it depends a lot on local infrastructure, we must have a switch node nearby that goes down.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old 10-10-2018, 1:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordmorgul View Post

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
The FCC just banned Baofeng UV5R radios.
Old 10-10-2018, 1:25 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post

No they didn’t

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-10-2018, 1:54 PM

Combining multi functions into one package sucks and is full of compromises.

Get a quality radio. Only a radio.

Get your light from Fenix with rechargeable batteries. Make sure one of your lights is a headlamp. A light is of limited use when you can't use both hands for whatever task you're trying to do. This one from Fenix is AWESOME and I use it frequently. It's hands down the very best headlamp I've ever encountered. Buy the 3500mAh batteries. Three....one in the lamp, two as standby spares and for charging.

https://www.fenixlighting.com/produc...able-headlamp/

If you're not using it at full power, it lasts an incredibly long time on one battery.

Make sure you have some solar means sufficient to charge the batteries in a reasonable amount of time.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 10-10-2018, 2:55 PM
Veteran Member

Have one n we hate it. Got it as a gift
Glock 23 with Buffalo Bore on the hip.
Old 10-10-2018, 6:14 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisDSA View Post
Have one n we hate it. Got it as a gift
Baofeng?

Old 10-10-2018, 6:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
Get your light from Fenix with rechargeable batteries. Make sure one of your lights is a headlamp. A light is of limited use when you can't use both hands for whatever task you're trying to do. This one from Fenix is AWESOME and I use it frequently. It's hands down the very best headlamp I've ever encountered. Buy the 3500mAh batteries. Three....one in the lamp, two as standby spares and for charging.
I'm sure a lot of people will argue with me on this, but I have one good quality headlamp, one good "tactical" flashlight, and 2 Maglights - other than that they are all Harbor Freight LED free gifts. They are not perfect, but they shine a lot of light for a short distance, and I have them everywhere, I can't imagine a scenario where I could not lay my hand on 2 almost immediately. Get as many of these as you can!
Old 10-10-2018, 7:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorn5150 View Post

Tripper is correct, they did not. You are probably thinking about the recent rules change that prevents a radio marketed as FRS from also including any GMRS or removable antenna capabilities. They cannot be combo FRS /GMRS anymore. The UV5R is not marketed nor is it actually authorized for either FRS or GMRS although it is capable of it.

Andrew - Lancaster, CA
Old 10-11-2018, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripper View Post
No they didn’t
Yeah you are right. FCC didn't ban them. They have never authorized their use. What I was thinking of was the FCC citing the manufacturer.

https://docs.fcc.gov/public/attachments/DA-18-801A1.pdf
Old 10-11-2018, 9:32 PM

Quote:
I'm sure a lot of people will argue with me on this, but I have one good quality headlamp, one good "tactical" flashlight, and 2 Maglights - other than that they are all Harbor Freight LED free gifts. They are not perfect, but they shine a lot of light for a short distance, and I have them everywhere, I can't imagine a scenario where I could not lay my hand on 2 almost immediately. Get as many of these as you can!
I agree with having lots of flashlights around the house. I have more than a dozen. But I won't use an el cheap light. If I need a light fast for some emergency, I want it to be a good one. I use these which are top notch but don't break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLF-...s=TerraLux+300

They can be found cheaper.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore
Old 10-12-2018, 4:54 PM

Quote:
I agree with having lots of flashlights around the house. I have more than a dozen. But I won't use an el cheap light. If I need a light fast for some emergency, I want it to be a good one. I use these which are top notch but don't break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/TerraLUX-TLF-...s=TerraLux+300

They can be found cheaper.
You have more than a dozen $40 flashlights? That's over $500 in flashlights! I have easily twice that number and they were all free. In 5 years of gathering them and using them I have never had one not work if the batteries were good - that includes the one I ran over with my truck and the one that fell off my moving motorcycle. The main factor in a flashlight working is fully charged batteries.

As I said, I do have a high quality headlight, a mag light in each vehicle, and one good quality tactical light - but most of the time I use the Harbor Freight freebie, and it has never failed me.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:35 PM

I bought them all about 27 each. The price fluctuates. I also bought them over a period of a few years. And they're really worth it. The beam pattern is superb, battery life is excellent, and they really put out 300 lumens. I would bet money they're way better than a freebie from HF.

Old 10-13-2018, 11:26 AM

Quote:
I bought them all about 27 each. The price fluctuates. I also bought them over a period of a few years. And they're really worth it. The beam pattern is superb, battery life is excellent, and they really put out 300 lumens. I would bet money they're way better than a freebie from HF.
TerraLux lights are great. I have several of the AAA versions of your light. I have no idea how many lights I have but it numbers in the 100s. I've even got my Mother in law carrying a good light with her all the time. The HF lights are ok but only worth a little more then you paid for them. The biggest problem with cheap lights (including Costco lights) is they are battery hogs. They will drain the batteries even when off and that can cause the batteries to leak faster than normal.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:42 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I have a few 3xAAA battery lights, and all my 18650 lights also run off of 3xAAA bats too.
I only buy what's listed as Crees from China, which might be factory-rejects, or even knock-offs, but at <$4 a pop, they are zoomable, and I can get... ~6.7669+ of them for the same price you drop for one, and consider them disposable if they die (not one dead yet).
These are similar to this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUNcXoNlESc

I tried a few, and the ones with the zoom ring work okay, but really like the ones with the whole zoom-cap that extends for the zoom, like these:

eBay search terms from China are "Cree T6 zoom tactical", and maybe a "XM-L" (no quotes used in the search), and throw a Q5 or T6 in there, for testing your search results.

The "Q5" (3-bands of LED in the "castle" while focused, as I recall) is typically in smaller flashlights with less light, and the "T6" (5-bands off the top of my head) cover more area and are brighter.

I don't care about the 5-modes, and find it pretty annoying, so I usually grab the 3-mode, Hi-Low-Strobe, as I do not need an SOS feature, or the 5th mode (Medium, or is it real-low?).