Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Shotgun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Shotgun discussions Trap, Hunting, Defense and more. A place for enthusiasts to discuss the shotgun.

Old 06-12-2019, 7:01 AM

Exclamation Please “School” me on my 12ga

Hi,

I am new to the semi auto Shotgun game, I just traded for a 930 JM pro 24” and I was Hoping you guys could educate me. I need a replacement spring for the mag tube extension (he lost the original) I’m not sure where to find it (I tried Google) to no avail
-Where can I buy a replacement mag tube spring? For the extension..
-Also can I use any chokes? On it or does it have to be accu chokes?
-What types will I need for Skeet? Birds? Hogs? 3gun competition? Etc...
-anything I need to know or must have upgrades?
WTB CZ 512 22wmr

Last edited by mtsul; 06-12-2019 at 9:02 AM..
Old 06-12-2019, 7:32 AM
Calguns Addict

Chokes are gun specific. Get yourself an IC, and a Lt Mod, and you'll be fine.

Since you're in Riverside, Prado Olympic in Chino, Redlands, and Raahauge's are right in your area.
Old 06-12-2019, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Chokes are gun specific. Get yourself an IC, and a Lt Mod, and you'll be fine.

Since you're in Riverside, Prado Olympic in Chino, Redlands, and Raahauge's are right in your area.
Thanks! What is an IC? And Lt Mod?
Also any idea on where I can buy a replacement spring for my mag tube so I can buy the extension back on?
WTB CZ 512 22wmr
Old 06-12-2019, 9:29 AM

MidwayUSA maybe?

https://www.midwayusa.com/s?targetLo...ItemsPerPage=0
Old 06-12-2019, 9:48 AM
Calguns Addict

IC is improved cylinder. Lt Mod is light modified.

They're designations of choke constriction. I like Briley chokes. But there are other brands. Just make sure they fit your gun.

Different guns have different threads.
Old 06-12-2019, 9:53 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

IC- is improved cylinder Lt mod - is light modified that's his suggestion for choke choice, A modified choke is a good choice also, And if your going to shoot skeet, then a skeet choke is good, I live in the beach cities and shoot every weekend, if I can be of help let me know!!
Old 06-12-2019, 9:56 AM
Calguns Addict

In shotgun choke language, "improved" means one half step tighter. "Lite" or "light" means one half step looser.

(More or less)

Generally, there are several chokes available: Cylinder, Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Light Mod., Modified, Improved Modified, Full, Extra Full and Turkey.

More or less.

But really, there isn't a target out there the IC and Lt Mod won't break.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:16 AM

You could call Mossberg [830] 773-9007.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:50 AM
Calguns Addict

Note that for hunting critters you prob don't want the long mag tube anyway. There are probably capacity restrictions (two shells in the tube is typical).
Old 06-12-2019, 9:28 PM
C3 Contributor
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

The chokes are for regulating the pattern of the shot at a certain distance. For example a cylinder choke will shoot a 40" circle at 25 yards. The tighter the choke the further you can extend that 40" pattern.
For skeet you'll need a skeet choke. That'll place the 40" pattern at approximately 30 yards, which is ideal for skeet.
For birds I'd suggest a Lt Modified, placing your 40" at approximately 35 to 40 yards. I would tell you to be careful using your shotgun because of the high capacity. Hunting shotguns need a plug to limit capacity.
Hogs would be cylinder because you'll be using slugs or buck shot, correct? You do not want to run a slug through a choked barrel because the slug would open up your chokes and getting them stuck in the barrel.
3-guns I probably would use skeet choke due to the relatively close distances.
If you want to shoot sporting clays I'd recommend starting with an IC or Lt Mod, keeping your pattern around 35 yards.
All of the above will make more sense once you take some lessons. Go to your local range and see what they offer. Either Skeet or Sporting Clays lessons would be fine for learning some basic shotgunning techniques!

Choke tubes are gun specific so look for some that'll fit your Mossy. The manufacturer of the choke isn't as important in my opinion. I mostly use Carlson or Briley chokes. I'd recommend extended chokes for ease of use.

Try Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt or Brownells for your spring.

Last edited by bjl333; 06-12-2019 at 9:39 PM..
Old 06-12-2019, 9:37 PM
Front Toward Enemy 🔫
CGN Contributor

Any 12ga mag tube spring should work. Get the longest you can and cut it so it sticks out 16” past the tube end. You can fine tune it cutting 1” lengths. Then turn the cut ends in, and stuff it all in.

Here are some Wolff Springs
https://www.gunsprings.com/MOSSBERG/cID2/mID103/dID183

And Nordic (don’t get the HD version though for a 930, just get the regular)
https://nordiccomp.com/categories/ex...-tube-springs/

Nordic on Amazon, free prime ship https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-NCEXT-.../dp/B01MYMKCUZ

If you get the Nordic it will be very long and leave you plenty of working room to adjust (by trimming) how you like it. I would just grab a Nordic from Amazon.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 06-12-2019 at 9:42 PM..
Old 06-12-2019, 9:42 PM

As for chokes, the first thing you need to find out is the bore of your shotgun. Meaning, what size is the inside diameter of the barrel. As mentioned above, chokes, open or restrict the size of the bore. A cylinder choke is the same inside diameter of your barrel, from there they go in 5 thousandths increments. Skeet is 5 smaller, IC 10, light mod 15 and so on.

Benjamin Franklin
Old 06-13-2019, 6:58 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjl333 View Post
The chokes are for regulating the pattern of the shot at a certain distance. For example a cylinder choke will shoot a 40" circle at 25 yards. The tighter the choke the further you can extend that 40" pattern.
For skeet you'll need a skeet choke. That'll place the 40" pattern at approximately 30 yards, which is ideal for skeet.
For birds I'd suggest a Lt Modified, placing your 40" at approximately 35 to 40 yards. I would tell you to be careful using your shotgun because of the high capacity. Hunting shotguns need a plug to limit capacity.
Hogs would be cylinder because you'll be using slugs or buck shot, correct? You do not want to run a slug through a choked barrel because the slug would open up your chokes and getting them stuck in the barrel.
3-guns I probably would use skeet choke due to the relatively close distances.
If you want to shoot sporting clays I'd recommend starting with an IC or Lt Mod, keeping your pattern around 35 yards.
All of the above will make more sense once you take some lessons. Go to your local range and see what they offer. Either Skeet or Sporting Clays lessons would be fine for learning some basic shotgunning techniques!

Choke tubes are gun specific so look for some that'll fit your Mossy. The manufacturer of the choke isn't as important in my opinion. I mostly use Carlson or Briley chokes. I'd recommend extended chokes for ease of use.

Try Midway, Cheaper Than Dirt or Brownells for your spring.
Didn't I literally say the same thing, just with a lot less words?

Last edited by ysr_racer; 06-13-2019 at 7:45 AM..
Old 06-13-2019, 9:00 AM

Not to get off subject, I notice your avatar has an MD500 in it, I've spent a few hours in one. Are you a pilot?
Old 06-14-2019, 10:09 AM

Your 24" barrel is a bit short for clay sports and most bird hunting.

My first shotgun was a Turkey model with a 24" barrel; shot turkey, duck, and geese with right chokes. But, for clays, duck, and geese 28" or 30" works much better for me. Swings nicer, reaches out nicer.

That said, 26" was used for a long time for skeet; works well from a low mount.

24" works fine for turkey, because you're typically shooting from a static position.

You wont want mag extension in the field; mag has to be limited to 2-rounds. Guess you could get an extended limit rod, but the Warden's might be asking you a lot of questions...
Old 06-14-2019, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Note that for hunting critters you prob don't want the long mag tube anyway. There are probably capacity restrictions (two shells in the tube is typical).

There are NOT "Probably"restrictions, there are "definite" restrictions.

For hunting, (and it doesn't matter what you are hunting) you can have no more than 3 shells in the gun at any time. That is 1 in the chamber and two in the mag. Period.

You can make a plug for your magazine out of a piece of 1/2" wooden dowel about 5 1/2" long. This will prevent the mag from accepting more than two rounds.

I even have to make a plug for the mag tube on my A5 to be legal for Hunting Pigs, which are considered a nuisance with permanent "Open Season."

I got this from the head LEO of Cal Fish and Wildlife for the Northern Sector. (Above Morro Bay)

My Non Toxic Slugs are almost ready for sale. As of 1 July they are required for hunting in all of CA.

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 06-14-2019 at 3:41 PM..
Old 06-15-2019, 9:45 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Mossberg accu chokes are compatible with Winchester Winchoke and Browning Invector.

Old 06-15-2019, 9:53 AM
Veteran Member

I have a JM pro in 24" and it's a hell of a gun, the spring links were referenced above.

I shot trap with mine and did decent for a 24" barrel, I used modified choke and hit 20/25 my first month. Not sure I could do it again but it was pretty good feeling my first month with the gun.

Ysr is right on the chokes, I now run a LM on my 28" A300 and it's perfect for my set up. With a shorter barrel you may want to try upping the restriction on that choke as well and it will give you a tighter pattern and longer distances. Impr mod would be my suggestion for most clay sports but I'm no professional.

Try these;

https://www.briley.com/c-491-accu-choke.aspx

What is it you want to do with the gun? Its designed for 3gun so it's a specialized shotgun, I doubt youd want to make it do much else with it except range time, Turkey, possibly trap. It's kind of heavy for a field gun, just a heads up. And as stated you'd have to remove the extended tube and get extra parts like end cap and plug.

The only upgrade supposedly worth anything is the follower, I havent done it but its supposed to help. Take in to mind this gun is a stock 930 that Jerry miculek worked over with aftermarket parts and sold as his 3 gun platform. You should need anything additional unless it's just preference.

Mine has become my bedside gun, loaded with #4 buck and it's a range toy, I love showing a friend how to empty a 10rd mag tube in a blink of an eye. It's a workhorse gun for sure. Have fun and enjoy.

WTB
P10F**
P10S**

Last edited by etwinam; 06-15-2019 at 10:08 AM..
Old 06-16-2019, 11:05 PM
C3 Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
Didn't I literally say the same thing, just with a lot less words?

Yes, to someone familiar with sporting shotguns.
To someone new to sporting shotguns it doesn't hurt to have a detail explanation.