Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > California handguns
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

California handguns Discuss your favorite California handgun technical and related questions here.

Old 11-20-2020, 10:57 AM

Default Parent out of state transfer to California question...

I’ve got a friend whose Dad lives in Idaho, would he be able to have him transfer off roster guns to him through an FFL here in California?
Old 11-20-2020, 11:01 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Yes he can ship to ffl that will accept or bring them to ffl here and meet son to do dros./ transfer.
Old 11-20-2020, 11:17 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolxstang View Post
I’ve got a friend whose Dad lives in Idaho, would he be able to have him transfer off roster guns to him through an FFL here in California?
Just find the FFL who is willing to do it first and expect to p[ay a fee for the service. I would not make a habit of doing it often...just saying...

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 11-20-2020, 11:42 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

And, just for the info, such a transaction is called an interstate intrafamilial transfer.

ID resident -> CA resident -- interstate

Father -> son -- intrafamilial
When a Long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, Pursuing Invariably the Same Object, Evinces a Design to Reduce Them [I.E. the People] Under Absolute Despotism, It Is Their Right, It Is Their Duty, to Throw off Such Government, and to Provide New Guards for Their Future Security.”
– Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-20-2020, 6:26 PM

Yes, but finding an FFL who’s willing to is the hard part. Want to gift a 365 to my dad but no FFL around me is willing to ship anything to CA.
Old 11-20-2020, 6:59 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR18 View Post
Yes, but finding an FFL who’s willing to is the hard part. Want to gift a 365 to my dad but no FFL around me is willing to ship anything to CA.
So find a CA FFL willing to accept delivery from a non FFL and ship it yourself.

www.shipmygun.com

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post

”Benitez 3:29 Thou shall not limit magazine capacity”
Old 11-20-2020, 8:33 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by morrcarr67 View Post
So find a CA FFL willing to accept delivery from a non FFL and ship it yourself.

www.shipmygun.com

Sent from my motorola one action using Tapatalk
Or use a middleman FFL like AudioPhil or EBR

Old 11-20-2020, 9:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyHawk View Post
Or use a middleman FFL like AudioPhil or EBR
I’ll have to look into that. I know audiophil does great work.
Old 11-21-2020, 9:08 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Your wording seems off. You want to gift a 365 (whatever that is - a calendar?) to your dad and your location is in Fresno where no FFLs who are around Fresno will ship to CA??????
If you and your dad are in CA just hand it to him and he can mail in the transfer.
An FFL doesn't have to ship a gun. That can be done by a private party to any FFL willing to accept it.
If your dad is in CA and you are out of state have your dad go to the local FFL and tell him you want to send/gift him a gun and see if he's willing to handle the transaction under CA family transfer law that exempts non roster guns (but not AWs). If that FFL is dumb and doesn't know the law find a different one. If the FFL he finds will only accept from and FFL then take it to a local shop or shipping agent and have it sent.
You walking into a local store to buy a gun as a gift and have it shipped to your dad's FFL smacks of a straw purchase that an FFL may shy away from.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:26 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
Y
You walking into a local store to buy a gun as a gift and have it shipped to your dad's FFL smacks of a straw purchase that an FFL may shy away from.
?? Why would you think that? Gifts are explicitly legal.

One would have to do all the CA things and accept delivery after the 10 days, but after that, shipping to Dad's FFL would be fine.
When a Long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, Pursuing Invariably the Same Object, Evinces a Design to Reduce Them [I.E. the People] Under Absolute Despotism, It Is Their Right, It Is Their Duty, to Throw off Such Government, and to Provide New Guards for Their Future Security.”
– Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 11-21-2020, 12:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Librarian View Post
?? Why would you think that? Gifts are explicitly legal.

One would have to do all the CA things and accept delivery after the 10 days, but after that, shipping to Dad's FFL would be fine.
Yes I agree 100% legal. But FFLs are shy of doing anything that may place their license in jeopardy. Even back in the 70s when my wife bought me a 44 Mag for our 5th anniversary the dealer asked her 20 questions about why I wasn't there to fill out the paperwork, had I ever been in jail, did I give her the money, etc.
Old 11-21-2020, 12:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Shootsocal and ace pawn both do those transfers. M1NM does not use them obviously . No requirement to use ffl to ship. More FUD. Only some ffls require it and do not use them.