Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-14-2021, 1:42 PM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,115
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default Moving into B Class. But not right now! *LOL*

December last year I started a thread about my progression as a shooter

https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/....php?t=1673077


As I listed the Excuses that limit my growth, in spite of my diligence in dry practicing -
  • I do NOT reload.
  • I can (or allowed) to shoot only once per month. It is actually significantly less during this pandemic.
  • No feasible access to a range that allows for live fire drills. Or at the least, standards like the Bill Drill, FAST, etc.

It has become painfully obvious that the inability to immediately validate my dry practice has stymied my growth to the next level. Notwithstanding the ammo shortage/high prices brought by this pandemic.

Yeah, it actually came to the point that I already have accepted that I will be a "CCFL" - "C Class for Life"... *LOL*



Unfortunately or fortunately - I got my first "A Class" score in the 18-03 "We Play Games" with HF: 5.7609 (77.07%). Although the USPSA processing is still to happen - I calculated that since this is within the 20% allowed upper limit, this would bump me to a "B!" *EGAD* ... and this with a Glock 34 Gen 3 with the only modifications being Dawson Precision fiber optic sights and Springer Precision grip tape. Ammo was factory CCI Blazer Brass 115GR.






Oh well... I guess I am looking forward to the next SEVERAL years as a "BCLF!"



Now, the WHY of it being an unfortunate turn of events... After winning C class in last July's trophy match, I was really looking forward to another trophy match next month. However, since my field course skills are still not up to par - I would be in the bottom seed. *HAHAHAHA*

#luckyDay or #unLuckyDay


_
__________________
The paper target when I first shot a firearm: Glock 22 Gen 3 - 2016-06-07
5x5 Classifier - Glock 34 Gen 3 + STOCK trigger assembly + FACTORY ammo: IDPA SSP EX - 2021-07-11
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-14-2021, 8:13 PM
SG29736 SG29736 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 648
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Welcome to B class!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-15-2021, 10:02 AM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,115
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
Welcome to B class!
Thank you! Yehey! I am now an “intermediate” shooter (as per @IVC - B and above)…

Yeah - considering how long/difficult getting into B - *ugh* how about getting out of B!?! Instead of 1~2 second gains - we are now looking at less than a second with better accuracy.

I would be contented just getting to “A.” As I am Lifetime member, I have all the time in the world.


_
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-15-2021, 10:21 AM
ten888's Avatar
ten888 ten888 is offline
I have 1 Gunz
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: California
Posts: 1,629
iTrader: 70 / 100%
Default

We “CCFL” will miss you.
__________________
"Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." - Niebuhr
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-15-2021, 4:43 PM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,115
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten888 View Post
We “CCFL” will miss you.


Don’t worry. I will still be with you guys in deed - my field course HFs are still C.





_
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-16-2021, 7:52 AM
NorthBay Shooter's Avatar
NorthBay Shooter NorthBay Shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 485
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

BCFL is the place. I have been living there for a while. At some point you just want out and start to hero or zero the classifier stages. Then after doing that for a bit, you realize that the classification is just a thing. It's more about what percentage you are shooting of the winner during matches. It does not matter if you are a B class shooter and shooting less than 60% of the winner. I have given up trying to chase the next level and gone back to just trying to shoot well and get better.

BTW, it is far cooler to get a match bump for shooting well. There are a few current GM's that were classified as A's when they won a major. If I remember correctly that is what happened to Christian Sailer. He was an A when he won an area match.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-16-2021, 8:20 AM
SG29736 SG29736 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 648
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I know that match bumps are very common at the bigger IDPA matches. A lot of shooters moved up via match bumps.

But I haven't heard much about it occuring in USPSA. Does it just happen at nationals as in the above example?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-16-2021, 11:00 AM
Snoopy47's Avatar
Snoopy47 Snoopy47 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 3,044
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Oh well... I guess I am looking forward to the next SEVERAL years as a "BCLF!"
Oh I don't know about that. I just fell under "B" myself by 1.2 seconds last match, and I had jumped 20+ seconds from my previous match.

The difference being practice and dry fire, and just a general overall mindset towards the competitive experience in general.

Old men past their prime can still rise to the top of this sport. Practice is where it's at.

"A" is very reachable, and the difference between "A" and "M/GM" is a good day where everything just falls in place across the board at every stage.
__________________
Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-16-2021, 11:02 AM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,115
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
I know that match bumps are very common at the bigger IDPA matches. A lot of shooters moved up via match bumps.

But I haven't heard much about it occuring in USPSA. Does it just happen at nationals as in the above example?
I know of a friend that was C going into PCC the beginning to the year. He participated in the two big matches here in state. He was bumped twice for winning his division/class and is now an A.

… As for IDPA - yeah, I did NOT renew my membership.
Now that I am a “B” - I need to try and focus.


Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
BCFL is the place. I have been living there for a while. At some point you just want out and start to hero or zero the classifier stages. Then after doing that for a bit, you realize that the classification is just a thing. It's more about what percentage you are shooting of the winner during matches. It does not matter if you are a B class shooter and shooting less than 60% of the winner. I have given up trying to chase the next level and gone back to just trying to shoot well and get better.
Exactly! And that is why I qualified my OP with “But not right now!” and “Unfortunately…!” - my field course skill are still way below par. HF are still at a mid- to a high-C. I did not want to rank up, well, at least after the trophy match next month. *ugh*

In summary - this is an unintended accident.


_
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-16-2021, 12:11 PM
balmo's Avatar
balmo balmo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,684
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
I know that match bumps are very common at the bigger IDPA matches. A lot of shooters moved up via match bumps.

But I haven't heard much about it occuring in USPSA. Does it just happen at nationals as in the above example?
Level 2 matches and up: If there are 3 GM in your division that scored 90% or higher, then your match score is considered as a classifier.

Congrats OP for getting B, BCLF! hehehe
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-16-2021, 12:33 PM
SG29736 SG29736 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 648
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by balmo View Post
Level 2 matches and up: If there are 3 GM in your division that scored 90% or higher, then your match score is considered as a classifier.

Congrats OP for getting B, BCLF! hehehe
So then as stated your match score percentage would be considered a classifier. And that could move up your classification. But if you are a low B and shoot a level 2 with 3 GMs who shoot 90% and your match %is 81 that alone wouldn't move you to A.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-16-2021, 12:36 PM
sigstroker sigstroker is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: not in CA
Posts: 12,513
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

I never got out of D class. I usually shot C scores so I didn't care.

My sights were way off when I shot my classifiers, by like 2 feet. I had to aim at 10 o'clock 2 feet off target to get hits. The hostage stages were challenging.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-16-2021, 12:48 PM
NorthBay Shooter's Avatar
NorthBay Shooter NorthBay Shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 485
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
So then as stated your match score percentage would be considered a classifier. And that could move up your classification. But if you are a low B and shoot a level 2 with 3 GMs who shoot 90% and your match %is 81 that alone wouldn't move you to A.
That's true. But I think if you are a B and go to nationals or an area match and win, then I think you are going move up at least to an A regardless. You may move all the way. I am not sure about how all actual process would work. I only know what I heard Sailer say on a recent podcast. I think it was Steve Anderson's where he said they bumped him to GM after the area win.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-17-2021, 6:57 AM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,115
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
I never got out of D class. I usually shot C scores so I didn't care.
Yay! A year or so back - was really feeling bad/depressed that I was stuck at C while my friends, in particular those who just started recently, are now in B and A…

But then realized that it is all about the field course. There are advantages being stuck… After I was content with just being a C - bang! A class score in a Classifier - rank up to B! How funny life works…


Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoopy47 View Post
Oh I don't know about that. I just fell under "B" myself by 1.2 seconds last match, and I had jumped 20+ seconds from my previous match.

The difference being practice and dry fire, and just a general overall mindset towards the competitive experience in general.

Old men past their prime can still rise to the top of this sport. Practice is where it's at.
Hope so… I would be happy just getting an A.

Yes, you are right - “practice is where it’s at.” I lack the opportunities for live fire practice - for me, it’s dry practice straight to a match. There needs to be a consistent and regular feedback loop from dry practice and live fire practice.


Quote:
Originally Posted by balmo View Post
Congrats OP for getting B, BCLF! hehehe
Thanks!

I guess I should move to Carry Optics. I am still a C at 56%. No Classifiers for a LOONG time.



_
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-17-2021, 9:04 PM
sigstroker sigstroker is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: not in CA
Posts: 12,513
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Yay! A year or so back - was really feeling bad/depressed that I was stuck at C while my friends, in particular those who just started recently, are now in B and A…

But then realized that it is all about the field course. There are advantages being stuck… After I was content with just being a C - bang! A class score in a Classifier - rank up to B! How funny life works…
Unless you are able to practice action type shooting (impossible in the Bay area) you're stuck with just matches to get shooting time. You need shooting time to improve. I don't think I ever got more than 3 matches in any given 6 month period of time.

I would never have thought those would be the good times, shooting-wise. But where I am now, there is NO IPSC-type shooting. Only some very piss-poor IDPA type shooting. There is some IPSC-type about 80 miles away, but still nowhere to practice.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2021, 7:05 AM
RugerNo1's Avatar
RugerNo1 RugerNo1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Bakersfield
Posts: 1,606
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

The “B” in B-Class stands for “blood” as in the “blood in and blood out” class. You gotta put in work to grow now.

The pandemic has taught me that getting an airsoft gun close ‘enough’ to my comp gun was a great way to practice at home in the garage. Definitely helps with movement if you can’t get real steel practice in.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-20-2021, 1:03 PM
broadside's Avatar
broadside broadside is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Posts: 1,096
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
The “B” in B-Class stands for “blood” as in the “blood in and blood out” class. You gotta put in work to grow now.

The pandemic has taught me that getting an airsoft gun close ‘enough’ to my comp gun was a great way to practice at home in the garage. Definitely helps with movement if you can’t get real steel practice in.
^^ Truth

I went up fairly quickly to 74.7% with shooting 4-5 matches a month but then in the past year got new equipment, a new gun and was shooting fewer matches, I dropped down to 64.3%. Slowly working my way back. Up to 67.4% now and hopefully make A sooner or later.

B-class seems to be the hardest for people to get out of
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-21-2021, 9:07 AM
NorthBay Shooter's Avatar
NorthBay Shooter NorthBay Shooter is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 485
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
^^ Truth

I went up fairly quickly to 74.7% with shooting 4-5 matches a month but then in the past year got new equipment, a new gun and was shooting fewer matches, I dropped down to 64.3%. Slowly working my way back. Up to 67.4% now and hopefully make A sooner or later.

B-class seems to be the hardest for people to get out of
Thus the BCFL. However, everyone I know that made the jump to A (and continued to practice) quickly moved to M. That is the next big sticking place.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-21-2021, 10:58 AM
rodralig's Avatar
rodralig rodralig is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Rowland Heights
Posts: 3,115
iTrader: 9 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigstroker View Post
Unless you are able to practice action type shooting (impossible in the Bay area) you're stuck with just matches to get shooting time. You need shooting time to improve. I don't think I ever got more than 3 matches in any given 6 month period of time.
I already have accepted that reality and just working around it. It is what it is, unless, I move somewhere else. Within SoCal or outside the state.

Quote:
I would never have thought those would be the good times, shooting-wise. But where I am now, there is NO IPSC-type shooting. Only some very piss-poor IDPA type shooting. There is some IPSC-type about 80 miles away, but still nowhere to practice.
Speaking about IDPA - I just did NOT renew my membership. Even if they are the same practical shooting sports, etc. and it is all about getting accurate hits on target - the finer nuances have made me decide to focus on USPSA for now... At least in the short-term.



Quote:
Originally Posted by RugerNo1 View Post
The “B” in B-Class stands for “blood” as in the “blood in and blood out” class. You gotta put in work to grow now.
I will NOT disagree with you!

Quote:
The pandemic has taught me that getting an airsoft gun close ‘enough’ to my comp gun was a great way to practice at home in the garage. Definitely helps with movement if you can’t get real steel practice in.
I actually have the same - Umarex Glock 34 + targets from TacTrainers... However, I had to put it aside to work on something I feel is my low hanging fruit - calling the shots. The lack of recoil / the cycle of an airsoft gun is giving me a false sense of confidence in that skill.



Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
^^ Truth

I went up fairly quickly to 74.7% with shooting 4-5 matches a month but then in the past year got new equipment, a new gun and was shooting fewer matches, I dropped down to 64.3%. Slowly working my way back. Up to 67.4% now and hopefully make A sooner or later.
I was out for several months when I came back it was about a match every 3-weeks as was prepping for the Travelers' Cup. Every match was not perfect, but the number of stages that I have pushed my HFs higher have increased.

Am just worried once the reality of "normal life" starts seeping back in (a post-COVID world?) - it may come back to a match every month or two.



Quote:
B-class seems to be the hardest for people to get out of
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
Thus the BCFL. However, everyone I know that made the jump to A (and continued to practice) quickly moved to M. That is the next big sticking place.
I guess I will be happy if I just get to A.

_
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-21-2021, 4:43 PM
sigstroker sigstroker is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: not in CA
Posts: 12,513
iTrader: 8 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodralig View Post
Speaking about IDPA - I just did NOT renew my membership. Even if they are the same practical shooting sports, etc. and it is all about getting accurate hits on target - the finer nuances have made me decide to focus on USPSA for now... At least in the short-term.
The local IDPA is not normal IDPA. The guy running the action part of the club thinks he's another Hitler or Biden. He's been in charge for over 10 years and won't listen to any suggestions. One example - you can only start with 10 rounds in the gun. This state has NEVER had a capacity limit. He appoints himself match director in every match. The matches suck.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 6:21 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical