Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 06-21-2020, 10:01 AM

Default My “Good Cause” in LA County

Hi, I think I may have a good cause in LA County but you guys tell me if I don’t.

My wife works as a medical provider at LAC-USC in their Trauma division and a significant amount of her patents are gang members (stabbing and gunshot victims). There are also a lot of pain med seekers. She’s very guarded with her DEA license and doesn’t prescribe narcotics Willy-nilly. This causes her to get a lot of death threats at work. She doesn’t want to carry and she can’t anyway bring a firearm to work. But if one was smart enough they could find out where we live and attack our family. So I want to carry to protect myself, my wife and our children.

Do you guys think this is a good enough cause in LA County?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-21-2020, 10:05 AM
Calguns Addict

Nope. They don’t even give their correctional staff CCWs.

She’d have more reason than you as you may not be with her 100% of the time. Even then, they deny you both.

If they find out where you live, keep a loaded gun in the home (safely)

iTrader
Old 06-21-2020, 10:06 AM
Calguns Addict

There is no such thing in LA County as good cause! The only way you are getting a permit in LA is through big donations to the Sheriff or his handlers. It's all politics not need.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Nope. They don’t even give their correctional staff CCWs.

She’d have more reason than you as you may not be with her 100% of the time. Even then, they deny you both.

If they find out where you live, keep a loaded gun in the home (safely)

sigh...
We do keep loaded in the home at least.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:10 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Not a chance. Keep dreaming.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:17 AM

(╯‵□′)╯︵┻━┻

Thanks y’all... (._.)
I’ll just wait till we leave LAC to apply then.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:49 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGunOwner_Mike View Post
(╯‵□′)╯︵┻━┻

Thanks y’all... (._.)
I’ll just wait till we leave LAC to apply then.

Yes. Move to any of the four neighboring counties and you can both get permits.

iTrader
Old 06-21-2020, 10:59 AM
I need a LIFE!!

You were supposed to wait to hear later today....

Quote:
Can’t wait to hear what you find out! \(^o^)/
Old 06-21-2020, 11:09 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Best to monitor this thread for updates on LASD and CCWs:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...352761&page=27
Old 06-21-2020, 2:57 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
My wife works as a medical provider at LAC-USC in their Trauma division and a significant amount of her patents are gang members (stabbing and gunshot victims). There are also a lot of pain med seekers. She’s very guarded with her DEA license and doesn’t prescribe narcotics Willy-nilly. This causes her to get a lot of death threats at work. She doesn’t want to carry and she can’t anyway bring a firearm to work. But if one was smart enough they could find out where we live and attack our family. So I want to carry to protect myself, my wife and our children.
These incidents will only matter if they were reported to the police. Have they? How many?

Has she been attacked at work or elsewhere?
Old 06-21-2020, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
These incidents will only matter if they were reported to the police. Have they? How many?

Has she been attacked at work or elsewhere?

I thought so...
No, they’re not specific threats. Just violent patients yelling and cursing at her. No actual attack has actually manifested in the 5 years she’s been there.

Old 06-21-2020, 4:21 PM

Quote:
You were supposed to wait to hear later today....

Hahahah!!! I guess I’m just wondering if my good cause might fly if the restrictions loosen up.

Old 06-21-2020, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Best to monitor this thread for updates on LASD and CCWs:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...352761&page=27

I will certainly tune in! Thank you

Old 06-21-2020, 7:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hi, I think I may have a good cause in LA County but you guys tell me if I don’t.

In the eyes of the County of Los Angeles Sheriff, your life, nor the lives of your family, will NEVER be valuable enough for you to use the most efficient means possible to defend said lives. In other words, to them you ain't worth a hill of dog poop, but you are certainly welcome to send in your $10 so they can deny you that ability. No reason you can concoct will ever make a difference.
As others have stated, move to a better place, as that is your only chance.
Old 06-21-2020, 9:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1NM View Post
There is no such thing in LA County as good cause! The only way you are getting a permit in LA is through big donations to the Sheriff or his handlers. It's all politics not need.

- ^ this

- DONATE to the cause and you'll likley get your licence

- support your local sheriff

Old 06-21-2020, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starlight View Post
- ^ this

Would be ok if the donation amount was around $500. I have a feeling it’s more like 5k. I just can’t justify that much.

Old 06-21-2020, 9:42 PM

Quote:
Would be ok if the donation amount was around $500. I have a feeling it’s more like 5k. I just can’t justify that much.

- lol $500

- that's basically the fee for a CCW in most other 'shall issue' counties in CA

- I'd GUESS $15k donation miniumum.. and that might only get you a 'meeting' to get the real price..lol

- again, this is for the tax bracket that needs to make 'charitable donations'..

- if you're not in the tax bracket that needs to 'find ways to spend money so it doesnt get taxed' you might be SOL here..

Old 06-21-2020, 9:43 PM

Quote:
- lol $500

- I'd GUESS $15k donation miniumum.. and that might only get you a 'meeting' to get the real price..lol

- again, this is for the tax bracket that needs to make 'charitable donations'..

- if you're not in the tax bracket that needs to 'find ways to spend money so it doesnt get taxed' you might be SOL here..

Hahahahha
Yea... I’m SOL. And it’s honestly not worth that much to me.

Old 06-21-2020, 10:07 PM

Quote:

Sadly - Nope. The specific criteria listed on the application as well as the rejection letter is there must be a specific imminent credible threat on your life that cannot be addressed in any manner other than a CCW. I bet if someone threatened to kill her and she filed charges with the Sheriff that might work - but she would have to file charges. If there is an imminent known credible threat on your life you don't need a CCW application - you need to be armed with a squad car on its way to your house now.

Except rarely for big political donors and judges there are no CCW's in LA Country. Best way to get one is move out of LA country. Everywhere else (except around San Francisco) it's easy.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:16 PM

Ill bet $5 that ****riff velanuwhateva will not even flinch at 15k
Im sure he’s demands are in the 6 figure minimum.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR514 View Post

What a *****

Old 06-21-2020, 10:30 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkcty View Post
This is hard to hear because of poor connection, but here is what I can gather. THIS MAY NOT BE 100% ACCURATE. I advise you all to watch and listen for yourselves so please don't get upset if I make a mistake. Anything in parenthesis or brackets is my best guess as to what was said and/or my personal commentary.

These are the replies to a citizen's question. It is unclear if this was directly related to a citizen of the Antelope Valley specifically or for LA County residents in general.

"well all I'm asking for is good cause for the standard for granting a ccw permit ..."

"we've been issuing quite a few lately.."

"we are going to be continuing issuing as long as you satisfy a good cause standard..."

"first, you have to be a citizen in good standing, cant have a felony conviction, you have to pass background, go through training process, register your firearm all the things you are required. and this is all for carrying a concealed weapon in public, you do not need to have that at home. . . "

- - - - This is what I think is the critical part, I believe he is stating that for those in areas farther away from concentrated areas of law enforcement, he will modify the standard. Again, watch the video, do not rely on my transcription - - - -

[I think here he is referring to Antelope Valley or surrounding LA areas, basically not in the LA basin is the example he gives]

"....are not as concentrated as they are in the basin (LA Basin?) so an emergency call might take us a lot more than 2-3 minutes like if you're down in the basin, my standard is going to be slightly different based on the ability of local law enforcement to respond to that emergency so I encourage you if you believe you deserve one, please apply for one, we have added additional personnel now to our ccw permitting process to pick up the pace and i know its always been a burning issue and um (unintelligible) paying attention and we are making sure that the ones that should have one that they have the ability to get one through the proper permitting process.
Old 06-21-2020, 10:35 PM

The Video is 2h long. Any suggestion on time stamp of where they began to talk about the CCW?

Old 06-22-2020, 6:43 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
The Video is 2h long. Any suggestion on time stamp of where they began to talk about the CCW?
Quote:

Can someone work up a transcript of what he in the times I bolded below?

As best as I could make out:

1: 53 :40 to 1: 53 :52 reads viewer submitted Q about issuing CCW to average person

1: 53 :52 to 1: 54 :03 I can't understand this part, if you can please transcribe it in a post

1: 54 :03 to 1: 54 :50 talks about "citizen in good standing," not have felonies, pass background check, training, register firearm; no need for CCW at place of business or home; no 2nd A Right to Bear Arms in public, only place of employment or home provided you are not a prohibited person (felony, DUI, mental health issues)

1: 54 :50 to 1: 55 :05 I couldn't hear or understand

1: 55 :05 to 1: 55 :40 talks about varying his standard depending upon the time for LE to respond; apply if you think you deserve one, we're adding more staff to process so people who should have one can get one
Old 06-22-2020, 7:54 AM
Veteran Member

When is the sheriff up for re-election?....I'd bet he is looking to secure his footing in advance of a challenge. With all the BLM bs going on, many folks desire to protect themselves, but won't like an obvious "none for you" policy; if the sheriff can hide behind "good cause", or worse yet "good moral character", he can continue business as usual. Totally 100% subjective.
With the very recent abandonment of the 2A by SCOTUS, the sheriff may be hoping that the state legislature will handle his problem for him, so he can say to applicants "it's not my fault, ask your representative".
Remember that he is a democrat to the core; that in of itself should say enough.
Old 06-22-2020, 8:10 AM
Map Maker
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
When is the sheriff up for re-election?....I'd bet he is looking to secure his footing in advance of a challenge. With all the BLM bs going on, many folks desire to protect themselves, but won't like an obvious "none for you" policy; if the sheriff can hide behind "good cause", or worse yet "good moral character", he can continue business as usual. Totally 100% subjective.
With the very recent abandonment of the 2A by SCOTUS, the sheriff may be hoping that the state legislature will handle his problem for him, so he can say to applicants "it's not my fault, ask your representative".
Remember that he is a democrat to the core; that in of itself should say enough.
2022. All Sheriffs in Ca are up for election/re-election at that time. This guy said he would liberalize CCW issuance when he ran in 2018. Maybe the Pandemic and riots finally made him consider doing so, at least in some areas. It's not unheard of for Sheriffs to issue more to folks in rural areas than to those in suburban/urban areas and claim response time as the justification for doing so. Read the posts by PALADIN, watch the video and read the transcript. Change maybe coming, albeit in a limited fashion, to LA County. Or it could all be a load if BS, but I don't see why he would even bother talking about it this far out from the election unless their was a reason to do so.
"The best gun is the one you'll have on you when you need it the most, the one you know how to use, the one that goes BANG every single time you pull the trigger. Whether that gun cost you $349 or $1,100 it's worth every penny if it saves your life, or the life of someone you love.” -Tim Schmit, CCW Magazine July 2015

NRA Lifetime Member : CalGuns Lifetime Member : GOA Lifetime Member

Last edited by baggss; 06-22-2020 at 8:14 AM..
Old 06-22-2020, 8:58 AM
Veteran Member

I see it as all BS. He could have made changes two years ago, but didn't. With all the hot water he has been in, he needs to start building bridges now. Hope I'm wrong, but I think the legislature may handle his problem instead. He can then blame them.
Old 06-22-2020, 9:00 AM

Relocate.
Old 06-22-2020, 9:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albs View Post
Relocate.

That’s the plan, just gonna be a year or so... We are holding tight until COVID clears and the economy recovers.

Old 06-22-2020, 11:24 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
- ^ this

Quote:
- lol $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR514 View Post
Please either state some facts, or stop spewing this BS. The Sheriff's listing of campaign contributors is a public record.

I've been able to view the list of CCW permits issued by LASD on a couple of different occasions throughout the years. Campaign contributors don't get CCW permits. Even those making the maximum contributions.

I only saw one individual, whose corporate employer was a large contributor, who was issued a CCW permit. But that person was also a reserve deputy (and a member of the L.A. City Police Commission) and would have qualified for the permit on that basis.

There was a mini-scandal during the Baca regime where he created a "celebrity reserve" for the purpose of enhancing the department's image (yeah, it backfired) and he appointed the members as reserve deputies which gave the access to CCWs. But as a group, they failed to meet peace officer training and currency requirements and it went away.

Although the LASD policy provides that no specific occupation, of itself, qualifies a person for a CCW, the majority of LASD's civilian CCW's are issued to judges and prosecutors. I've never seen an instance where a sitting judge was denied a CCW permit. One was even approved after submitting a blank good cause statement.

If you really want a LASD issued CCW permit, go to law school, get some experience, and then talk to the Governor's appointments secretary. That's the easiest way you're gonna get one.

Making a campaign contribution ain't gonna work.
Old 06-22-2020, 11:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albs View Post
Relocate.
Finally, a one word answer that makes more sense and is more accurate then all of the other posts on this ridiculous thread that will go no place!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 06-22-2020, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickD427 View Post

If you really want a LASD issued CCW permit, go to law school, get some experience, and then talk to the Governor's appointments secretary. That's the easiest way you're gonna get one.

Making a campaign contribution ain't gonna work.

All great info. I think relocating is my best option

Old 06-22-2020, 7:08 PM
Veteran Member

Look at what's going on in Santa Clara county.

Non-donors have a 5% chance of getting a CCW. Donors are above 75% successful. The sheriff is under investigation for corruption.
Old 06-22-2020, 7:12 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
All great info. I think relocating is my best option
Sadly, if a couple of gang members threatened your wife, followed her home, did a home invasion and did horrible things to her.....you STILL wouldn't get a CCW.

(Sorry for the sick example, but I believe it's true)
Old 06-22-2020, 7:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB View Post
Sadly, if a couple of gang members threatened your wife, followed her home, did a home invasion and did horrible things to her.....you STILL wouldn't get a CCW.

No, I mean, you’re right! Thankfully we are at least armed at home. It’s exactly like I mentioned in my reason, it wouldn’t be hard for them to follow her home with intent to slaughter all of us.

I’m going to try... it’s worth a shot.

Old 06-22-2020, 8:58 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboChrisB View Post

Even if they killed the dog, ate your wife, and raped you, it wouldn't be enough.
Old 06-23-2020, 7:14 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious View Post
Even if they killed the dog, ate your wife, and raped you, it wouldn't be enough.
As extreme as that example is, I don't doubt it.

Would Rick D like to give some insight on the whole LASD issuance history/situation from his perspective/inside view?
Old 06-23-2020, 9:15 AM
Veteran Member

It's actually not that extreme. Unfortunately it's one example our academy instructors kept bringing up to reinforce the notion that people can and will do the most inhumane things for no discernable reason and you better expect it and the sooner you can get it through your head the better.

On the scenario, the cops would basically just say the wife is dead, dog has been eaten, and statistically, rapes by a stranger have negligible repeat occurrence rates so there's no need for a CCW.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:54 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by splithoof View Post
As extreme as that example is, I don't doubt it.

Would Rick D like to give some insight on the whole LASD issuance history/situation from his perspective/inside view?
I never was directly involved in the CCW issuance process during my time, but I did work closely with the folks who were. The actual policy is set by the Sheriff (but the "nuts and bolts" of the policy are assembled by staff) and is run by the Undersheriff's aide. I spent a number of years on the Undersheriff's staff doing administrative reviews (primarily autopsies of stuff that went wrong) and later ran the unit that did the "nuts and bolts" of policy writing.

The bottom line is that CCW Permits would not be issued, except in special cases. Three exceptions to that rule were for reserve deputies, judges and prosecutors.

The issuing practices for reserve deputies changed a bit over the years. California has four different levels of reserves, depending on their training. The highest level of reserve has 24/7 peace officer status and requires no CCW permit. The lower three levels have on-duty only peace officer status and require a CCW to carry off-duty. I saw some attempts (and resistance) to removing CCWs from the lower qualification levels. I'm not sure how that finally settled out.

Judges and Prosecutors got CCW's without question. As I previously pointed out, one was issued with a blank "good cause" statement.

In the last few years of the Baca regime, a number of senior level professional staff members were issued CCW permits.

The policy, during the time I was there (I retired in 2013) was that CCW permits would be issued upon showing of a specific threat, and the inability to remediate that threat through other means. That sounds like a very innoculus policy, but both prongs of that policy are quite difficult to meet. A lot of folks would state, often in detail, a generalized threat ("I'm a jeweler, I carry a million dollars worth of diamonds, and folks like me get robbed all the time"). But that's not "specific" because it fails to identify the person seeking to rob you - see where this is going? At the same time, that threat could be remediated by transporting the diamonds in an armored car.

Remember that the Sheriff is elected. He's concerned about the values of his constituency. There's more folks in L.A. County that disapprove of CCW permits than support. The Sheriff is also concerned about the liability of CCW issuance. Every time the question of liability comes up, some well-read Calgunners are quick to point out that the Government Code provides a civil immunity for the discretionary act of issuing a CCW permit. But that's not the kind of liability the Sheriff is concerned with. It's the political liability. If a CCW permit holder does something awful (and it's only a matter of time), then it's going to be well-reported in the press and the Sheriff is going to take the heat. Awful things happen every day to non-CCW holders and its not newsworthy. There ain't no immunity from that kind of liability.

Things may change gradually, but look for L.A. County to be on the trailing edge. Other counties have liberalized their CCW issuance policies and the sky has not fallen. But L.A. County's restrictive policy has been in place under Sheriff's Biscailuz, Pitchess, Block, Baca, Scott, McDonnell and Villanueva. You've got to all the back to Bill Traeger to find a Sheriff that had a realistic chance of issuing a CCW permit. It's going to take some horsepower to change it.
Old 06-23-2020, 11:05 AM
I need a LIFE!!

RickD, it sounds like things have changed (recently?). In the last minute, AV is nothing but encouraging re. applying for CCWs. Of course, that does NOT mean he'll issue them, but it is a positive change from previous sheriffs.

Here's a link to a clean video:

https://www.facebook.com/LancasterSh...391796248/?d=n

Go to 3:25 before the end and it runs for 2 min to 1:20 before the end. Let me know what you think.

Like you said, LA is behind the times. Maybe people contacting the department because of SHTF scenarios of CV19 and then BLM riots/looting have pressured AV to at least issue to non-judicially connected and non-LE connected folk.

Last edited by Paladin; 06-23-2020 at 11:09 AM..