Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 07-08-2020, 12:06 PM

Default Prescription Pain Meds - San Bernardino County

After purchasing a couple firearms myself I now have a family member that's interested as well and wants to know about prescription drugs and applying for a CCW. I talked to him over the 4th weekend. He said he takes them only when he needs them. I don't know much about it, but common sense should tell him not to carry while on them for his own legal protection just in case. I told him I'd post his concerns here and get back to him.

First, in the application process and/or interview does he have to divulge he's been taking a prescription pain med on and off for many years? Could he further explain that these meds do not impair his thought process what-so-ever or would that not at all matter?

Second, will they call his doctor to see if/which meds he's on?

Third, If he were involved in an incident and had not taken any med's for a few days would it be smart for him to demand a drug test immediately?

Lastly, has anyone here [or heard of anyone in SB County] been able to acquire a CCW while admitting to being on prescription pain meds on the application or during the interview?

Regards

Last edited by Eric Porters; 07-08-2020 at 12:28 PM..
Old 07-08-2020, 8:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Porters View Post
After purchasing a couple firearms myself I now have a family member that's interested as well and wants to know about prescription drugs and applying for a CCW. I talked to him over the 4th weekend. He said he takes them only when he needs them. I don't know much about it, but common sense should tell him not to carry while on them for his own legal protection just in case. I told him I'd post his concerns here and get back to him.

First, in the application process and/or interview does he have to divulge he's been taking a prescription pain med on and off for many years? Could he further explain that these meds do not impair his thought process what-so-ever or would that not at all matter?

Second, will they call his doctor to see if/which meds he's on?

Third, If he were involved in an incident and had not taken any med's for a few days would it be smart for him to demand a drug test immediately?

Lastly, has anyone here [or heard of anyone in SB County] been able to acquire a CCW while admitting to being on prescription pain meds on the application or during the interview?

Regards
From what I have read (not a current CCW holder) when you sign your application you are allowing them to have full access to your medical records and any other records that would otherwise not disclosed unless you gave actual permission.

I’m trying to figure out the same with me because I take antidepressants, but for my anxiety as I do not have depression at all but it’s really the only thing that they really prescribe for anxiety/panic.

I think for pain meds it all really depends on what kind they are and the dosage.
It could be something as simple as ibuprofen 800s to Vicodin.
Old 07-09-2020, 5:06 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaTheHutt View Post
From what I have read (not a current CCW holder) when you sign your application you are allowing them to have full access to your medical records and any other records that would otherwise not disclosed unless you gave actual permission.

I’m trying to figure out the same with me because I take antidepressants, but for my anxiety as I do not have depression at all but it’s really the only thing that they really prescribe for anxiety/panic.

I think for pain meds it all really depends on what kind they are and the dosage.
It could be something as simple as ibuprofen 800s to Vicodin.
WRONG!!!!

Your personal medical records are private per federal law (HIPPA!) and nobody can have legal access to them without your written permission or by court order!!!!!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 07-09-2020, 5:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
WRONG!!!!

Your personal medical records are private per federal law (HIPPA!) and nobody can have legal access to them without your written permission or by court order!!!!!
Per the San Bernardino Notarization form: I hereby authorize you, your organization, its Custodian of Records, and/or persons in your employ, to release any and all information which you may have concerning me, including information which may be of a confidential, privileged and/or derogatory nature, including, but not limited to: employment information, official employment documents, employment performance data, character reference information, educational records and transcripts (pursuant to Public law 93-380), medical surgical, psychological, polygraph exam and dental records (pursuant of the Medical Information Act, Civil Code Section 56 et seq.), credit and financial information (pursuant to the Banking Privacy and Fair Credit Reporting Acts), local criminal history information (pursuant to Penal Code Section 13300(b) (10), law enforcement or criminal records or information from a law enforcement agency and/or any other information which you might possess. And I exonerate, release and discharge you, your organization, its officer, agents and assigns, from any liability or damages, whether in law or in equity, now and in the future, for furnishing the information requested by the bearer of this authorization form
Old 07-09-2020, 6:00 AM

There is a difference between taking pain medication to treat pain from time to time under medical supervision and being addicted to pain medication. For the purpose of applying for a concealed permit, I see no requirement to mention such a situation as it's really no different than a person who drinks a glass of wine on the weekend. Why would the Sheriff care as long as you weren't a drug addict nor an alcoholic.

As to asking to be drug tested after a CCW incident, I would probably not. Drug tests can be peculiar things. Some things like alcohol can be tested for quite accurately, others not too well and may only indicate the presence of something at some point in the past. Also, what about false positives? Seems like opening a can of worms to me. On the other hand, I suppose if one was stone cold sober but involved in a CCW incident at a bar, an alcohol test might resolve any doubts as to sobriety.
Old 07-09-2020, 6:26 AM

Curious if he is applying on the basis of having prescription drugs and/or having to frequent pharmacies? Im trying to apply in SD county on the basis of being on and/or having anywhere from 2-5 prescription drugs on me at any point in time due to an autoimmune disorder. Been checking the SDCGO website and seen medical conditions along with prescription drugs on their person being used as GC.
Old 07-09-2020, 6:48 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PizzaTheHutt View Post
Per the San Bernardino Notarization form: I hereby authorize you, your organization, its Custodian of Records, and/or persons in your employ, to release any and all information which you may have concerning me, including information which may be of a confidential, privileged and/or derogatory nature, including, but not limited to: employment information, official employment documents, employment performance data, character reference information, educational records and transcripts (pursuant to Public law 93-380), medical surgical, psychological, polygraph exam and dental records (pursuant of the Medical Information Act, Civil Code Section 56 et seq.), credit and financial information (pursuant to the Banking Privacy and Fair Credit Reporting Acts), local criminal history information (pursuant to Penal Code Section 13300(b) (10), law enforcement or criminal records or information from a law enforcement agency and/or any other information which you might possess. And I exonerate, release and discharge you, your organization, its officer, agents and assigns, from any liability or damages, whether in law or in equity, now and in the future, for furnishing the information requested by the bearer of this authorization form
As I stated above....

Nobody can access your medical records without your permission. This form (when signed by you!) gives written permission so I was not wrong!!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!
Old 07-09-2020, 8:43 AM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

I know people that take pain meds on a therapeutic level and have a CCW.

I also suspect I know someone that takes them on a "formerly therapeutic" level that has become a full blown habit that has a CCW.

And that's all I know.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:30 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Jake View Post
WRONG!!!!

As already noted, one is signing permission on the application.

And it's not "HIPPA" it's "H I P A A" - Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act

Frozen in 2015, it is falling out of date and I can no longer edit the content. But much of it is still good!
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Ann Althouse: “Begin with the hypothesis that what they did is what they wanted to do. If they postured that they wanted to do something else, regard that as a con. Work from there. The world will make much more sense.”

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-09-2020, 11:31 AM

Depends on your IA. With ours (Mendocino) it says on my license: "invalid if licensee has been consuming alcohol or drugs." It doesn't explain any further but in our CCW class, the intent is to be sure that the licensee is not under the influence of alcohol or drugs while carrying concealed.

Dan
Old 07-10-2020, 3:06 AM
retired Goon

FWIW, the San Bernardino County Sheriff Department TOU for having a CCW permit issued by them requires the permit holder to agree to the following:

"I will not consume alcoholic beverages or be under the influence of any illegal substance while in possession of a firearm."

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).
Old 07-12-2020, 9:07 PM

- don't overthink it
- under the INFLUENCE of drugs LEGALLY means a change in BEHAVIOR
- 'behavior' is a major, objective change...
Old 07-18-2020, 10:16 AM

if you are taking narcotics on a specific day, you should not be carrying that day. if you have chronic pain issues and are taking narcotics daily then getting a ccw is probably not a good idea.