Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > 2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

2nd Amend. Litigation Updates & Legal Discussion Discuss California 2A related litigation and legal topics here. All advice given is NOT legal counsel.

Old 11-28-2022, 8:03 AM

Ok, normally I am a perpetual optimist but I have a question. So if Benitez issues a permanent injunction, wouldn’t the state just cry and request an emergency stay to Mommy 9th Circuit Appeals that would get instantly approved under dubious reasoning at like midnight on a Friday?

I mean this is CA and the 9th Circus, where blatantly unconstitutional gun laws get protected in hours yet court battles to strike them down and regain our civil rights take decades. I hope I am wrong after the latest Bruen decision but decades of painful history has tempered my expectations.
Old 11-28-2022, 8:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiuJitsu View Post
Ok, normally I am a perpetual optimist but I have a question. So if Benitez issues a permanent injunction, wouldn’t the state just cry and request an emergency stay to Mommy 9th Circuit Appeals that would get instantly approved under dubious reasoning at like midnight on a Friday?

I mean this is CA and the 9th Circus, where blatantly unconstitutional gun laws get protected in hours yet court battles to strike them down and regain our civil rights take decades. I hope I am wrong after the latest Bruen decision but decades of painful history has tempered my expectations.
You're entirely correct, IMHO. With luck, we can then appeal that stay to SCOTUS who might say "take as much time as you like, but enjoined during that time period." Might being the key word.
Old 11-28-2022, 9:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homelessdude View Post
It's only permanent until it gets to the 9th for appeal. Thats where the real fun and GAMES start. JMO
unfortunately I think you're right. Even though an emergency stay by the 9th is supposed to be "rare and unusual"
Old 11-28-2022, 9:10 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieLA View Post
unfortunately I think you're right. Even though an emergency stay by the 9th is supposed to be "rare and unusual"
As "rare" as an en banc....

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Lawyers and their Stockholm Syndrome
Old 11-28-2022, 9:42 AM

Does anyone know the percentages for non-2A en bancs? I feel like my view point is likely skewed because I really only follow 2A cases but en banc is obviously not the exception in these cases (because guns).
Old 11-28-2022, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
Does anyone know the percentages for non-2A en bancs? I feel like my view point is likely skewed because I really only follow 2A cases but en banc is obviously not the exception in these cases (because guns).
I looked at the En Banc cases once, and besides 2A cases the other cases (or some of them) were immigration cases where the En Banc was used to prevent a deportation or something like that.
Old 11-28-2022, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abinsinia View Post
I looked at the En Banc cases once, and besides 2A cases the other cases (or some of them) were immigration cases where the En Banc was used to prevent a deportation or something like that.
so pretty much all politically motivated
Old 11-28-2022, 6:37 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newbieLA View Post
so pretty much all politically motivated
Yeah, that's what I thought at time.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:30 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
NOTICE of Appearance by Kevin James Kelly on behalf of Xavier Becerra (Kelly, Kevin)Attorney Kevin James Kelly added to party Xavier Becerra(pty:dft) (Entered: 11/30/2022)
Bonta is changing attorneys. This Kevin James Kelly has also been assigned to the Duncan case.
Old 12-01-2022, 3:08 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Bonta is changing attorneys. This Kevin James Kelly has also been assigned to the Duncan case.
This may or may not have terrible significance; DOJ is a large agency with state employees entering into holiday season. Many other fairly ordinary staff scheduling/reallocation activities may occur as well.

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-01-2022, 3:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiese View Post
This may or may not have terrible significance; DOJ is a large agency with state employees entering into holiday season. Many other fairly ordinary staff scheduling/reallocation activities may occur as well.
It makes no difference who the attorneys are on either side. The merits of the case and the quality of the arguments have no bearing on the outcome. The only thing that matters is the composition of SCOTUS after the case arrives back at their doorstep.
Old 12-01-2022, 4:40 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt_Action View Post
It makes no difference who the attorneys are on either side. The merits of the case and the quality of the arguments have no bearing on the outcome. The only thing that matters is the composition of SCOTUS after the case arrives back at their doorstep.
Correct. Do not forget that in most cases (except the ones before Benitez), the courts will fix whatever defects it finds in the State's filings for them.

The State could be represented by a box of hair. The outcome would be the same.

"“[S]cientific proof” of both gun-rights and gun-control theories “is very hard to get”; therefore, requiring “some substantial scientific proof to show that a [firearm] law will indeed substantially reduce crime and injury” is tantamount to applying strict scrutiny to, and almost certainly will lead to invalidation of, the law." - Kamala Harris

Old 12-01-2022, 7:48 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think you sell some pretty good lawyers short. Do you ever have anything positive to add?
Old 12-01-2022, 7:53 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I think you sell some pretty good lawyers short. Do you ever have anything positive to add?
If you are implying I'm selling the plaintiffs' lawyers short, I am doing no such thing.

In order for them to even have a *chance* of succeeding they have to be flawless, whereas Bonta could be replaced by a bowl of cat urine and it would not matter.

Old 12-01-2022, 9:59 PM
Veteran Member

We will have to see who is on the 3 Judge panel & the En Banc panel. The makeup of the 9th has changed some from before. Trump helped us at SCOTUS, we will see if he helped us in the 9th...

DILLIGAF
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice"
"Once is Happenstance, Twice is Coincidence, Thrice is Enemy Action"
"The flak is always heaviest, when you're over the target"
Old 12-02-2022, 9:34 AM

Here's the thing, and I would need folks smarter than me to opine, if Benitiez doesn't stay his decision, there will be a period of time between his final order and when the 9th grants an emergency appeal, correct? During that time, mod can be made to an AR correct? Theoretically that is.
Old 12-02-2022, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

Look to the two cases in New York on the CCIA laws. Both judges refused to give a stay on their opinions, and it took some time for the appeals court to gives stays. At least a week.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanejsl View Post
Here's the thing, and I would need folks smarter than me to opine, if Benitiez doesn't stay his decision, there will be a period of time between his final order and when the 9th grants an emergency appeal, correct? During that time, mod can be made to an AR correct? Theoretically that is.
I have no idea and am just guessing here. But even if we get a "freedom week" or whatever to modify our ARs, what's to stop the 9th to stay the decision or to appeal it.....and then if feature ban is held up (or stayed I guess) then we'd have to change them all back or be guilty of holding an illegal weapon?

Basically it feels like even if we get some time to modify our ARs, what's to stop the other courts and lawmakers to reinstating rules or creating new ones where we'd have to convert them back?

I can see being able to keep freedom week mags b/c they can't legally come and take my property from me.

Again....I have no real idea just playing devil's advocate a bit.
Old 12-02-2022, 2:20 PM

Quote:
If you watched the en banc argument in Peruta your jaw would drop. Several of the justices questioned why not let low crime rural counties have lax CCW rules, while allowing high crime urban areas to have tighter restrictions or no CCW at all, since crime was such a problem in cities. Um, that is why you need CCW in cities! These folks are so anti gun that they equate "gun" reflexively with crime by default, and assume CCW holders will suddenly become crazed criminals and go on a shooting spree. Yeah, the gun just turns people evil.

Last edited by Gator15; 12-02-2022 at 2:34 PM..
Old 12-02-2022, 6:08 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
I have no idea and am just guessing here. But even if we get a "freedom week" or whatever to modify our ARs, what's to stop the 9th to stay the decision or to appeal it.....and then if feature ban is held up (or stayed I guess) then we'd have to change them all back or be guilty of holding an illegal weapon?

Basically it feels like even if we get some time to modify our ARs, what's to stop the other courts and lawmakers to reinstating rules or creating new ones where we'd have to convert them back?

I can see being able to keep freedom week mags b/c they can't legally come and take my property from me.

Again....I have no real idea just playing devil's advocate a bit.

You legally acquired AWs. I think it would force CA to open the AW registry again. This time there wouldn't be any Bullet Button crap. Your single shot AR pistol just became a semi-auto detachable mag pistol. Just have to be ready to jump the minute it comes down.

Looks like there is movement next week in the 4th Circuit Bianchi v Frosh AWB case... https://youtu.be/v7sP_j90L80

DILLIGAF
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice"

Last edited by Sgt Raven; 12-02-2022 at 6:15 PM..
Old 12-02-2022, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Raven View Post
You legally acquired AWs. I think it would force CA to open the AW registry again. This time there wouldn't be any Bullet Button crap. Your single shot AR pistol just became a semi-auto detachable mag pistol. Just have to be ready to jump the minute it comes down.

Looks like there is movement next week in the 4th Circuit Bianchi v Frosh AWB case... https://youtu.be/v7sP_j90L80
The CA DOJ will do whatever they want and we will comply. Doesn’t matter what the law says. If they don’t like the outcome, they’ll just arrest you if you don’t do what you’re told. That’s how it works. Look at their ruling about how it’s illegal to remove the bullet button from a RAW. That’s clearly not what they law says, but that doesn’t matter. Now they’re threatening the guy who makes the FIFY kit, even though it’s clearly legal. And we’ll do what we’re told, because the last we’re going to do is exercise our second amendment rights… we might lose our second amendment rights!
Old 12-02-2022, 9:17 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Raven View Post
We will have to see who is on the 3 Judge panel & the En Banc panel. The makeup of the 9th has changed some from before. Trump helped us at SCOTUS, we will see if he helped us in the 9th...
He did.
The 9th is just barely biased liberal now.
I think it's around 60/40 makup instead of 80/20 makeup like before.
Old 12-05-2022, 9:11 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
He did.
The 9th is just barely biased liberal now.
I think it's around 60/40 makup instead of 80/20 makeup like before.
One of the Trump nominees (from HI) wasn't too great, IIRC.
(But couldn't be worse than others in past..)

Bill Wiese
San Jose, CA

CGF Board Member / NRA Benefactor Life Member / CRPA life member

No postings of mine here, unless otherwise specifically noted, are
to be construed as formal or informal positions of the Calguns.Net
ownership, The Calguns Foundation, Inc. ("CGF"), the NRA, or my
employer. No posts of mine on Calguns are to be construed as
legal advice, which can only be given by a lawyer.
Old 12-09-2022, 4:51 PM

Quote:
The CA DOJ will do whatever they want and we will comply. Doesn’t matter what the law says. If they don’t like the outcome, they’ll just arrest you if you don’t do what you’re told. That’s how it works. Look at their ruling about how it’s illegal to remove the bullet button from a RAW. That’s clearly not what they law says, but that doesn’t matter. Now they’re threatening the guy who makes the FIFY kit, even though it’s clearly legal. And we’ll do what we’re told, because the last we’re going to do is exercise our second amendment rights… we might lose our second amendment rights!
That is the hallmark of a nation's justice system in the third world like parts of Africa or South America or Asia.

The end result being that "The Law" only exists in the good and nice and clean areas. And the rest of the nation, is anything goes and nobody bothers with the government or its authorities, since they know its not for them but for the other.

Though Californian elites have made it their goal to reach that kind of society.
Old 12-09-2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
It's not a question of whether or not we comply, it's a question of whether or not we want to be the test case. Easy to pontificate the merits when your rights and possibly freedom aren't on the line. When you might lose everything just to try to prove the point is where the proverbial rubber meets the road.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Is this case still set to be heard on 12-12-22 this Monday? Or did I misread that? I thought several 2A cases were being heard on 12-12-22 including this one. But if that is true I expected more fanfare.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Batman View Post
It's not a question of whether or not we comply, it's a question of whether or not we want to be the test case. Easy to pontificate the merits when your rights and possibly freedom aren't on the line. When you might lose everything just to try to prove the point is where the proverbial rubber meets the road.
At this point, exactly what rights and/or freedoms do you think any of us have left that we’re going to lose?
Old 12-10-2022, 11:38 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
At this point, exactly what rights and/or freedoms do you think any of us have left that we’re going to lose?
I heard a great line in a movie that went something like this. "High school is like prison. The sex you want is not the sex you are getting and the sex you are getting is not the sex you want."
Old 12-10-2022, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member

https://youtu.be/T1InjeZ6M6Y

DILLIGAF
Old 12-10-2022, 12:57 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticalcity View Post
Is this case still set to be heard on 12-12-22 this Monday? Or did I misread that? I thought several 2A cases were being heard on 12-12-22 including this one. But if that is true I expected more fanfare.
I asked the same question essentially in the Duncan thread a few days ago. I believe this case, another 2A case, and a baton related case are all being heard on the 12th (based on the replies I got in the Duncan thread). I would have to go back and look to see what the other case was.

Old 12-10-2022, 2:24 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Dec 12 @ 10:30. Miller ( assault weapons ), Duncan (Large Mags ), Rhodes ( ammo sales ), and another case involving batons. I don't remember the name of the baton case. A member here is going to be in the courtroom Monday.
Old 12-10-2022, 4:11 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

So where are we with this? If I have rifles that I did not register years ago do they have to remain featureless, no pistol grip etc.
Old 12-10-2022, 4:14 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Dec 12 @ 10:30. Miller ( assault weapons ), Duncan (Large Mags ), Rhodes ( ammo sales ), and another case involving batons. I don't remember the name of the baton case. A member here is going to be in the courtroom Monday.
Yes, I'm planning to attend. Courtroom 5a. I looked up the docket. Looks like hearings on some motions. Don't know how exciting it will be. Just thought it would be nice to see what happens.

It's a muzzle BRAKE, not a muzzle break. Or is your muzzle tired?
Old 12-10-2022, 4:59 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenguy View Post
So where are we with this? If I have rifles that I did not register years ago do they have to remain featureless, no pistol grip etc.
At this time nothing has changed. All AW laws are still in place.

Old 12-10-2022, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Yes, I'm planning to attend.
I'll be there as well along with my buddy who is a plaintiff in one of the cases .

We'll see you there

Anyone else find it sad that those who preach tolerance CAN'T allow the existence, occurrence, or practice of (something that they do not necessarily like or agree with) without interference.

I write almost everything in a jovial manner regardless of content . If that's not how you took it please try again
Old 12-10-2022, 8:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglemike View Post
Don't know how exciting it will be. Just thought it would be nice to see what happens.
This will be CA history in the making (either way it goes).
Old 12-10-2022, 9:38 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Wish I had known about all these cases coming up sooner. I would have saved up some money in anticipation of favorable rulings...for the day or two before the next injunction bursts our bubble.
Old 12-10-2022, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Wish I had known about all these cases coming up sooner. I would have saved up some money in anticipation of favorable rulings...for the day or two before the next injunction bursts our bubble.
i already got what i need, just in case the rulings are in our favor.

the manufacture even rushed my order after i wrote them an email explaining everything
Old 12-10-2022, 11:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Hoping for favorable rulings tomorrow. And the discussions that follow about what exactly this means for currently owned featureless and registered bullet button assault rifles.

I assume both will be able to be converted to standard configuration if we get a favorable ruling. But the question is can they stay converted if there is an injunction a day or two later like we have seen in the past? Or will only newly purchased rifles be able to remain unconverted until such time as California creates a whole new registration process sans bullet button?

Either way, Monday will have me on pins and needles.

Last edited by tacticalcity; 12-10-2022 at 11:20 PM..
Old 12-10-2022, 11:38 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Hoping for favorable rulings tomorrow. And the discussions that follow about what exactly this means for currently owned featureless and registered bullet button assault rifles.

I assume both will be able to be converted to standard configuration if we get a favorable ruling. But the question is can they stay converted if there is an injunction a day or two later like we have seen in the past? Or will only newly purchased rifles be able to remain unconverted until such time as California creates a whole new registration process sans bullet button?

Either way, Monday will have me on pins and needles.

If we convert our guns to an AW, the state can’t make them become non AW by telling us to convert them back. They would have to open up the AW registry. Because even for that short time we were in violation of the law and eligible for prosecution of having possessed an AW. We would need some type of relief 🙂