Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > POLITICS, LITIGATION AND ACTIVISM > How CA Laws Apply to/Affect Me
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2021, 1:16 AM

Default Having/transporting non mag locked or featureless AR

My wife’s AR is currently set up featureless with the sparrow dynamics grip. It is uncomfortable for her and with her small hands, cannot reach the safety. She wants to switch to pistol grip and go with the AR maglatch/FNGR, like I have on mine.

If I switch out the grip, does the upper and lower just need to be separated at home? What about during transport? Can they be separated in the same bag? Same car?

The range we go to told me that they actually prefer users with mag locks to remove them when you shoot—due to issues clearing when they jam. With the maglatch on backorder for a few more weeks, she still wants to go shooting, but with a regular grip.
Old 01-14-2021, 1:21 AM
Calguns Addict

Are you basically asking how to transport/store a non-registered fully featured AR?
Old 01-14-2021, 2:31 AM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1911 View Post
My wife’s AR is currently set up featureless with the sparrow dynamics grip. It is uncomfortable for her and with her small hands, cannot reach the safety. She wants to switch to pistol grip and go with the AR maglatch/FNGR, like I have on mine.

If I switch out the grip, does the upper and lower just need to be separated at home? What about during transport? Can they be separated in the same bag? Same car?

The range we go to told me that they actually prefer users with mag locks to remove them when you shoot—due to issues clearing when they jam. With the maglatch on backorder for a few more weeks, she still wants to go shooting, but with a regular grip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Are you basically asking how to transport/store a non-registered fully featured AR?
Kind of, I think.

Even if you do keep the upper and lower separated, ask yourself why you would do that. The answer ought to be "because I know putting it together creates an unregistered 'assault weapon'"

So, one could never legally assemble that weapon in that configuration in CA - I don't think that was your plan for her gun.
When a Long Train of Abuses and Usurpations, Pursuing Invariably the Same Object, Evinces a Design to Reduce Them [I.E. the People] Under Absolute Despotism, It Is Their Right, It Is Their Duty, to Throw off Such Government, and to Provide New Guards for Their Future Security.”
– Declaration of Independence, July 4th, 1776
"The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane."

- Marcus Aurelius
Consider Samizdat; consider some reading material, such as this and that.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 01-14-2021, 8:12 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
The range we go to told me that they actually prefer users with mag locks to remove them when you shoot—due to issues clearing when they jam.
So the range staff wants people to commit a felony when they have mag locked ARs?

Seems reasonable, they aren't going to be the ones possibly defending themselves in court.

Yeah clearing a jam in a mag locked gun is a PIA, but the potential for a different PIA isn't worth it. At least from my perspective.
Old 01-14-2021, 8:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Well, yes and no. I read in another post about purchasing a AR pistol upper before getting a pistol lower, if you have an AR lower already. The answer was that you shouldn’t because you can theoretically put together an sbr. Wasn’t sure if a similar concept applied to my scenario.

My question was about changing the grip before the maglock device arrived, and what to do until then as far as storage and transport. I think I may have to tell her to wait to go out until it comes in, or stock with the sparrow grip in meantime.
Old 01-14-2021, 11:26 AM
Veteran Member

Try a Thordsen stock. They are the easiest to use.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 01-14-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:

I ordered one a little over a week ago, it's out for delivery today thru USPS.
Old 01-14-2021, 2:05 PM
Veteran Member

Hide in your closet with a Faraday cage around you so the CA DOJ can't see/hear you when you swap the grip out

Just wait until the maglock gets there and do it all at once.
Old 01-16-2021, 5:51 PM
Vendor/Retailer
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofeugene View Post
Try a Thordsen stock. They are the easiest to use.
+1 My wife has the hands of a 9 year old girl and she handles our stock just fine. Ambi safety and extended mag release solves the reach problems.

Thordo
Old 01-17-2021, 8:56 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Get her a Henry 001 rimfire. Even little kids can shoot that.