Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Semiautomatic or Gas Operated Centerfire rifles, carbines and other gas operated rifles.

Old 10-13-2020, 9:10 PM

Default Failure to Eject for FN 15 DMR 2 CA

Hello Everyone,

https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-15-dmr-ii-ca/

I bought the above rifle from a fellow CalGunner last month (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1644673). I picked it up just last week and took it out to the range this past weekend. He has a Daniel Defense M4V11 (I think that's what it is). He showed me his rifle first, explained the features on his Optic, and we shot his rifle. It was absolutely great.

I set up my rifle onto his bipod, fired a round at the target and it was awesome! But this is where things did not go well. My buddy confirmed I hit the target through his optic, and when I went to pull the trigger again nothing happened besides an audible click as if I was dryfiring. I pulled back the charging handle and the casing flew out. I thought to myself, okay just a simple jam. No problem. I get situated, pull the trigger again, and nothing. That's weird. I pulled the charging handle back again and I ended up causing a double feed. I eject the magazine, clear the chamber, and thought it was a fluke. Set everything up again, fired the first time. Manually ejected the casing. Fired again. Manually ejected the casing, and then click nothing repeat of earlier. Accidentally double fed again.

While searching for possible issues, I ran into this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1656209

My bullets are not jamming that severely where they're deforming. It also looks too recent for there to be a resolution so unsure what OP is doing there. The rifle is pretty new, as the previous (& original) owner purchased it this year. He said he only put 300 rounds through it.

I'm going to the range again this week and wanted to get as many suggestions as possible to try to figure out what I am doing wrong. Or if it is not me, if gun manufactures honor warranties if I am not the original owner?

Regardless, thank you for your time and suggestions.
Old 10-13-2020, 9:37 PM

Could be a gas block issue. Seems from factory its not adjustable. Maybe the holes are not correctly inline. Put 1 round in the mag and see if it locks back after you fire. If not, its a sign of being undergassed. When you pull the bolt back, do you let go or try to slam it forward manually?
Old 10-13-2020, 9:41 PM

Where are you located at? I was able to help another cal gunner out with his failure to feed/eject issue with his left hand ejection rifle. pm me, Vito.
Old 10-13-2020, 9:42 PM
I Pity the Fool!
CGN Contributor

So seller forgot to mention to you he was selling a single-shot rifle?
Old 10-13-2020, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynn View Post
Could be a gas block issue. Seems from factory its not adjustable. Maybe the holes are not correctly inline. Put 1 round in the mag and see if it locks back after you fire. If not, its a sign of being undergassed. When you pull the bolt back, do you let go or try to slam it forward manually?
I pulled the charging handle all the way back and let go. I do not push it forward as well. When you say "lock back", you mean like when you fire a handgun and after the last round the slide locks in the back position? If so, I will try this when I go back to the range this week, thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITOMAN1977 View Post
Where are you located at? I was able to help another cal gunner out with his failure to feed/eject issue with his left hand ejection rifle. pm me, Vito.
Hello Vito, I will shoot you a PM tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post
So seller forgot to mention to you he was selling a single-shot rifle?
Rifle is categorized as Semi-Automatic, and Seller was kind enough to try to help me after I contacted him regarding the issue.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:14 PM

Sounds good.
Old 10-13-2020, 10:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Was the rifle cleaned and lubricated prior to testing?
Old 10-13-2020, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Was the rifle cleaned and lubricated prior to testing?
I did not personally clean it but Seller delivered it in pristine condition. FFL thought it was brand new.
Old 10-14-2020, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
I pulled the charging handle all the way back and let go. I do not push it forward as well. When you say "lock back", you mean like when you fire a handgun and after the last round the slide locks in the back position? If so, I will try this when I go back to the range this week, thank you!

Yes. Your bcg should lock back after the last shot unless you have a maglock device that removes your bolt catch ie JT hellighter kit.
Old 10-14-2020, 7:59 AM

Hey OP, if you go to the range again, load 1 round into magazine, rack the CH, fire the shot. Let us know if the round got chambered and fired and if the bolt carrier locked back to the rear.

Then load 2 rounds into the magazine, use the bolt catch to release the bolt, and fire the shot. Let us know if the Rd got chambered and fired, and if the brass ejected. Slightly pull back the ch and check if the second round got chambered properly, then fire it.

If you can, take a vid of all this, so we could help you diagnose better

Edit; which ranges are close to you?
Old 10-14-2020, 8:19 AM

Lube it, that's what she said
Old 10-14-2020, 8:32 AM

Almost sounds like short stroking. Are you shooting reloads?

A lot of times after parts break in they will shoot anything except for the weakest of ammo.

As long as it’s factory built I would try different ammo first and do a through clean and lube.
Old 10-14-2020, 11:04 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

I bought the above rifle from a fellow CalGunner last month (http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1644673). I picked it up just last week and took it out to the range this past weekend. He has a Daniel Defense M4V11 (I think that's what it is). He showed me his rifle first, explained the features on his Optic, and we shot his rifle. It was absolutely great.

I set up my rifle onto his bipod, fired a round at the target and it was awesome! But this is where things did not go well. My buddy confirmed I hit the target through his optic, and when I went to pull the trigger again nothing happened besides an audible click as if I was dryfiring. I pulled back the charging handle and the casing flew out. I thought to myself, okay just a simple jam. No problem. I get situated, pull the trigger again, and nothing. That's weird. I pulled the charging handle back again and I ended up causing a double feed. I eject the magazine, clear the chamber, and thought it was a fluke. Set everything up again, fired the first time. Manually ejected the casing. Fired again. Manually ejected the casing, and then click nothing repeat of earlier. Accidentally double fed again.

While searching for possible issues, I ran into this thread: http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s....php?t=1656209

My bullets are not jamming that severely where they're deforming. It also looks too recent for there to be a resolution so unsure what OP is doing there. The rifle is pretty new, as the previous (& original) owner purchased it this year. He said he only put 300 rounds through it.

I'm going to the range again this week and wanted to get as many suggestions as possible to try to figure out what I am doing wrong. Or if it is not me, if gun manufactures honor warranties if I am not the original owner?

Do yourself a favor and dl a free copy of ARMY TM 9-1005 319-23&P and refer to section 2-9 TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURES.

Once you know the procedures you begin to understand what's going on without all the WAG's posted.

This helps all the readers who want to know more while doing a quick drive by read.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-14-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wynn View Post
Yes. Your bcg should lock back after the last shot unless you have a maglock device that removes your bolt catch ie JT hellighter kit.
I do not have a maglock device, so I will check this tomorrow. Thank you again for the suggestion wynn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Hey OP, if you go to the range again, load 1 round into magazine, rack the CH, fire the shot. Let us know if the round got chambered and fired and if the bolt carrier locked back to the rear.

Then load 2 rounds into the magazine, use the bolt catch to release the bolt, and fire the shot. Let us know if the Rd got chambered and fired, and if the brass ejected. Slightly pull back the ch and check if the second round got chambered properly, then fire it.

If you can, take a vid of all this, so we could help you diagnose better

Edit; which ranges are close to you?
Hi naz. wynn suggested something very similar as well, but I will also try this process as it includes his suggestion of checking to see if the BCG locks back after the final round is fired.

The only outdoor range I've been to ever is Mike Rahaauges. I'm going there tomorrow morning so I will ask the wife to video me too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snacks View Post
Almost sounds like short stroking. Are you shooting reloads?

A lot of times after parts break in they will shoot anything except for the weakest of ammo.

As long as it’s factory built I would try different ammo first and do a through clean and lube.
I'm not sure what kind of ammo I am shooting as it was a mixed bag of .223 that was purchased with the rifle. I did buy some Wolf Gold 223 55grain FMJ recently, so I will bring some of that tomorrow too to see if that makes a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeuerFrei View Post
Do yourself a favor and dl a free copy of ARMY TM 9-1005 319-23&P and refer to section 2-9 TROUBLESHOOTING PROCEDURES.

Once you know the procedures you begin to understand what's going on without all the WAG's posted.

This helps all the readers who want to know more while doing a quick drive by read.
Hi FeuerFrui, thank you for your suggestion. I will google that and see if I can find it.
Old 10-15-2020, 1:52 AM
Veteran Member

I see you’re local to me, looks like you plan on going today, I plan on going to the range Friday and if you haven’t figured it out by then and want to meet at the range, I’ll have extra BCG, buffer and spring, factory ammo, and we can inspect your gas block, might not be thorough but hopefully can help narrow down the culprit.
Old 10-15-2020, 2:13 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
I did not personally clean it but Seller delivered it in pristine condition. FFL thought it was brand new.
Clean and lube before your next range trip and it could potentially save you tons of troubleshooting headache.
Old 10-15-2020, 1:38 PM

So went to the range this morning and did the tests that were recommended. Here are the results:

1) Insert one (1) bullet into magazine, load it. Release charging handle to chamber the round. Eject magazine. Fire round. Bullet casing did NOT eject. BCG did NOT lock back.

2) insert two (2) rounds into magazine. Load it. Release charging handle to chamber the first round. Fire round. Bullet casing did NOT eject. Manually eject casing. Fire second round. Bullet casing did NOT eject. BCG did NOT lock back.

I goofed up and left my Wolf Gold ammo at home. Bought .223 Fiochi (spelling?) at the range. Fell into backseat and forgot to use it.

I also have videos of each of the above scenarios but have no idea how to upload them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieLivesMatter View Post
I see you’re local to me, looks like you plan on going today, I plan on going to the range Friday and if you haven’t figured it out by then and want to meet at the range, I’ll have extra BCG, buffer and spring, factory ammo, and we can inspect your gas block, might not be thorough but hopefully can help narrow down the culprit.
Thank you for the offer. Will send you a PM later today once my work schedule tomorrow falls into place.

Last edited by anthracite; 10-15-2020 at 1:41 PM..
Old 10-15-2020, 2:06 PM

Me thinks you have a gas system issue. But I'm no expert.

You can upload the videos to YouTube and then share the links here
Old 10-15-2020, 2:11 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Hello Everyone,

Causes of short stroking in AR's:
Lack of Lubrication
NEW receiver/bolt carrier
NEW Magpul Pmag magazines
Wimpy ammo (Wolf, PMC Bronze or unknown quality reloads)

Generally, a rifle can have ONE of those factors and work fine, but TWO of the factors will usually cause a problem.

If ALL of those factors are negative, then look for a gas block misalignment to be an issue (no detent or cross pin) or some other gross assembly problem like the gas tube pin missing and the gas tube rotated or out of position in the gas block or loose gas key or a misaligned barrel nut that forces the gas tube to one side.

Get some REAL milspec ammo and lube the carrier well and try again.
If all the problems go away, it was a lube and ammo problem.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 10-15-2020, 2:17 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
So went to the range this morning and did the tests that were recommended. Here are the results:

1) Insert one (1) bullet into magazine, load it. Release charging handle to chamber the round. Eject magazine. Fire round. Bullet casing did NOT eject. BCG did NOT lock back.

2) insert two (2) rounds into magazine. Load it. Release charging handle to chamber the first round. Fire round. Bullet casing did NOT eject. Manually eject casing. Fire second round. Bullet casing did NOT eject. BCG did NOT lock back.

I goofed up and left my Wolf Gold ammo at home. Bought .223 Fiochi (spelling?) at the range. Fell into backseat and forgot to use it.

I also have videos of each of the above scenarios but have no idea how to upload them.

Thank you for the offer. Will send you a PM later today once my work schedule tomorrow falls into place.
When you test it you need to run a 5.56mm NATO full powered load in it (xm193 federal) if you can find some. If you use weak 223 ammo in it you may be confusing an under gassed condition for weak ammo or visa versa.
"Find out just what the people will submit to and you have found out the exact amount of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them and these will continue until they are resisted with either words or blows, or with both. The limits of tyrants are prescribed by the endurance of those whom they oppress."
-- Frederick Douglass --

“I didn’t know I was a slave until I found out I couldn’t do the things I wanted.”
– Frederick Douglass --
Old 10-15-2020, 2:26 PM

Yes I’m betting on gas system issue. I would take a look at bcg first since easiest to get to and check if there are any issues with the gas key. Make sure it is staked properly and not loose. If that seems fine, take the handguard off and check your gas block. Make sure holes are lined properly.

Edit: after re-reading your post, you should leave the mag in there then fire. Otherwise the bolt won’t lock back even with a properly running gas system.
Old 10-15-2020, 5:02 PM

I would think if it's not ejecting, check the ejector. Had this same issue with my su16 when I was new to the hobby.
Old 10-26-2020, 1:31 AM

Alright guys, went to the range again this past week and this time had a friend bring his Juggernaut AR15 to try to narrow down the issue. Here are the results of the tests we took:

Test #1:
Tried my new Magul Pmags with 5 rounds each Federal & Wolf Brass .223. Fired the Federal, casing ejected!. However, next trigger pull resulted in a CLICK. Following round did not feed. Manually loaded it via CH, casing again ejected but did not feed. Repeated until magazine empty.

Switched to other Pmag with Wolf Brass .223. First shot ejected casing, again did not feed. Second shot casing got stuck in the BCG. Cleared, fired again, casing stuck in the BCG again. Stopped test.

Test #2:
Loaded two Pmags again with 5 rounds of each ammo, put them in my friends Juggernaut AR15. Fired both magazines with no ejection issues, no feeding issues.

Test #3:
Used friends Cross Industries magazine with 5.56 ammo. Fired, casing ejected, failed to feed. Tried two more times, same result.

**Swapped BCGs into each other's rifles. Also did a once over of my rifle, everything looked fine. Re-lubricated everything as well.

Test #4:
First up, Juggernaut AR15 with MY BCG. Loaded up both Pmags again with Federal/Wolf .223. Fired both magazines with no issues.

Test #5:
Second, my FN with my FRIENDS BCG. Loaded up both Pmags, same results as Test #1.

At this point we had used up more than half our range time, so I stopped there as I was getting frustrated. It must be something with my rifle since my BCG worked fine in the Juggernaut.

Should I just drop off my FN at a local gun store I trust to have them try to diagnose or should I try to call FN to see if they'd honor their warranty even if I'm not the original purchaser?
Old 10-26-2020, 9:11 AM

Hey OP, sorry you are having problems.

I second the other members who are suggesting you check the gas block.

With your mags and bcg working in your friend’s rifle, that puts them pretty low on the list of potential culprits.

2 easy things you can do are check to see if your bcg key is hitting or getting hung up on the gas tube, and check if the gas block is loose.

My GUESS is that your gas block has come lose or become misaligned or the port some how got partially blocked

Contacting FN is not a bad idea since you mentioned the rifle is almost new.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:06 AM

gas block/gas tube issue would be what im thinking. doesnt sound like its the gas key on your BCG, since it worked with your friends rifle. just send it in to Randall (AR15barrels) so he can get you squared away. May be cheaper and faster than sending it to FN.
Old 10-26-2020, 10:52 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbit3 View Post
gas block/gas tube issue would be what im thinking. doesnt sound like its the gas key on your BCG, since it worked with your friends rifle. just send it in to Randall (AR15barrels) so he can get you squared away. May be cheaper and faster than sending it to FN.
Quote:
According to FN's website for the rifle he supposedly bought, the gas block was pinned to the barrel by FN.
I can't imagine that a factory cross pinned gas block came loose.
This supposition is based on it ACTUALLY being an FN upper and not a hodgepodge parts-gun that LOOKS like the FN upper.

An 18" rifle gassed barrel won't tolerate wimpy ammo or new pmags or lack of lube.
I still want to see what happens when he shoots some 62gr or 77gr nato spec ammo.
Some new guns that are lightly gassed will take a couple hundred rounds of good quality ammo to break them in before they will function reliably with wimpy ammo.

Quote:
I goofed up and left my Wolf Gold ammo at home.
Bought .223 Fiochi (spelling?) at the range.
Both of these are known-issues in new guns.

Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.

Last edited by ar15barrels; 10-26-2020 at 10:54 AM..
Old 10-26-2020, 11:16 AM

I have an FN DMR first gen and I've shot Mk262, Razor core 77gr, and M193 without any problems. Then again, I bought it new.

Pure speculation, but maybe not a coincidence it was for sale.

Last edited by sfvshooter; 10-26-2020 at 11:37 AM..
Old 10-26-2020, 11:37 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfvshooter View Post
I have an FN DMR first gen and I've shot Mk262, Razor core 77gr, and M193 without any problems.
What buffer did it come with?
I don't think I saw what buffer the OP has.
He might have an H2 buffer or some extra-power spring that is causing short stroking with wimpy ammo.

Old 10-26-2020, 1:34 PM

I want to say it was either H1 or H2, but I replaced it with the JP AR-15 silent spring a few years ago.

Didn't have any issues with buffer/spring before I swapped it out and I think I repurposed it for my Wolf A1 build.
Old 10-27-2020, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
According to FN's website for the rifle he supposedly bought, the gas block was pinned to the barrel by FN.
I can't imagine that a factory cross pinned gas block came loose.
This supposition is based on it ACTUALLY being an FN upper and not a hodgepodge parts-gun that LOOKS like the FN upper.

An 18" rifle gassed barrel won't tolerate wimpy ammo or new pmags or lack of lube.
I still want to see what happens when he shoots some 62gr or 77gr nato spec ammo.
Some new guns that are lightly gassed will take a couple hundred rounds of good quality ammo to break them in before they will function reliably with wimpy ammo.
One of the items I requested before getting serious in purchasing the rifle was the original receipt from the Seller. The original receipt shows the purchase date of 05/26/2020, and I began speaking to the Seller end of August 2020. In my mind, it was a three month old rifle from original owner, from a reputable company. I don't believe it's a fake, but to be honest I wouldn't be able to tell the difference either as this whole situation is my first dip into rifle territory. I picked a reputable company for my first rifle so I wouldn't have to deal with beginner issues and figured I would eventually build my next.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
What buffer did it come with?
I don't think I saw what buffer the OP has.
He might have an H2 buffer or some extra-power spring that is causing short stroking with wimpy ammo.
When I remove the stock, the buffer inside has a giant H etched into it. No numerics after it.
Old 10-27-2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by naz View Post
Hey OP, sorry you are having problems.

I second the other members who are suggesting you check the gas block.

With your mags and bcg working in your friend’s rifle, that puts them pretty low on the list of potential culprits.

2 easy things you can do are check to see if your bcg key is hitting or getting hung up on the gas tube, and check if the gas block is loose.

My GUESS is that your gas block has come lose or become misaligned or the port some how got partially blocked

Contacting FN is not a bad idea since you mentioned the rifle is almost new.
Thank you for the two suggestions, but although they appear to be easy tasks I simply do not trust myself enough to do those tasks. Taking down the rifle at the range was my first time and I was being helped step by step by a good friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbit3 View Post
Thank you for the suggestion regarding sending it to Randall. He has been of great help and did not think I could go to him as a Vendor.
Old 12-04-2020, 4:33 PM

Anyone have any places they recommend where I can bring my Rifle to and have them see if they can diagnose the issue?

I'm located in Orange County but willing to drive +/- 60 miles North or South. I had an appointment with Randall this week but unfortunately poor guy got sick.

I just signed up for a Tactical Carbine class at ITTS for beginning of January so really need to get this resolved before then.

Thank you.
Old 12-04-2020, 4:58 PM

Not sure if you received my personal email to you. I had said I would have come out and repaired the issue for you at no charge.
Old 12-04-2020, 6:45 PM

It sounds like a gas block or tube issue since the BCG worked on another rifle. Take a look at the gas tube through the openings in the hand guard and look where the gas tube goes into the block. See if it is really dirty with carbon or not. Randall mentioned that your gas block is pinned so a tube would the quicker and easier thing to try. I had a rifle that I pieced together before it was having a similar issue sort cycling. Too much gas seemed to be getting through the tube/block junction. I replaced the gas tube $15-20 and that fixed it. I'll attach some pictures from that rifle
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Desert 053.jpg (78.4 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Desert 045.jpg (96.0 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by nate76239; 12-04-2020 at 6:50 PM.. Reason: added pictures
Old 12-04-2020, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VITOMAN1977 View Post
Not sure if you received my personal email to you. I had said I would have come out and repaired the issue for you at no charge.
Hey Vitoman! I'm so sorry, I went back through my messages and found your email. Sending you one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate76239 View Post
It sounds like a gas block or tube issue since the BCG worked on another rifle. Take a look at the gas tube through the openings in the hand guard and look where the gas tube goes into the block. See if it is really dirty with carbon or not. Randall mentioned that your gas block is pinned so a tube would the quicker and easier thing to try. I had a rifle that I pieced together before it was having a similar issue sort cycling. Too much gas seemed to be getting through the tube/block junction. I replaced the gas tube $15-20 and that fixed it. I'll attach some pictures from that rifle
Hi Nate, thank you for taking the time to post pictures. Apologies for the trouble. Problem is this is my first rifle ever and I am not comfortable yet taking it apart and trying to address the issue myself.
Old 12-05-2020, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Hey Vitoman! I'm so sorry, I went back through my messages and found your email. Sending you one now.

Hi Nate, thank you for taking the time to post pictures. Apologies for the trouble. Problem is this is my first rifle ever and I am not comfortable yet taking it apart and trying to address the issue myself.
Try Riflegear in Fountain Valley
Old 12-06-2020, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Try Riflegear in Fountain Valley
Oh really? Damn I was just there on Wednesday. Didn't know they diagnosed/worked on firearms.

I'll give them a call tomorrow.
Old 12-06-2020, 7:59 PM

Anthrocite, Randall Rausch, AR15Barrels on this thread will be able to diagnose and fix it. Highly skilled gunsmith! LA County though.

Last edited by MRBESQ; 12-06-2020 at 8:20 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 01-14-2021, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tradecraft View Post
Off topic, but what was the solution for your rifle from a while ago?
tradecraft chimed into another one of my threads, so I wanted to update this thread in case anyone else ever runs into this problem.

I drove out to Randall (ar15barrels) one day and he diagnosed that the hole in the gas block was not the right size for a 18" barrel and rifle length gas tube. He cautiously drilled out the hole a tiny bit. Taught me basic rifle 101 structure during my visit too. I went to the range that same afternoon and was still having the same issues, albeit not as often.

In comes Vito (VITOMAN1977), who met me at Angeles Shooting Range on a Saturday morning that same week. He spent several hours with me at the range swapping parts back and forth with his rifle, similar to what I did with my friend prior, but was nice to not be in a time crunch at Angeles (all day for one price) compared to Rahaugges which is a 2 hour time limit. He also walked me through the entire process and educated me on what does what and how things are connected. Eventually we found this:

https://imgur.com/D5Gbrv1

That carbon build up you see in there is rock solid. We tried to chip it out with multiple tools and nothing was coming out. I even left the range and went out to Addax Tactical to try to buy a rifle length gas tube, but they were all sold out. We ended the range day with our hopes set on that being the culprit.

Later that day I was going to RifleGear for an appointment, and during my banter with one of the employees (Eric), my situation with this rifle came up and I asked if they had any rifle length gas tubes. Not only did they have one, he installed it for me too free of charge!

Fast forward a few days, I impatiently went back to the range and VOILA, MY RIFLE FINALLY FUNCTIONS AS INTENDED!!!

So in the end, nate76239 ended up being right on the money (he even suggested RifleGear too). However at the time it was posted, I did not completely understand what was being suggested.

Quote:
All in all, if I had the option to do it all over again or to bypass this purchase, I would still do it all over again. Although it was honestly incredibly frustrating & disheartening at times, I learned so much from these experiences. I genuinely do not think I would have had the opportunities to learn what I did had I bought a zero problem rifle. Sure it would have been more convenient, but now I am confident taking apart my rifle and putting it back together (at least the Upper, as my new current thread is about the stock).

Thank you to everyone that had taken the time to chime in and offer help. ZombieLivesMatter invited me out to Angeles a few times but our schedules did not match up. This community continues to amaze me time after time.
Old 01-14-2021, 7:18 AM
Veteran Member

Glad you got it fixed but wow that is one dirty gas tube. We'll never know, but I wonder if it was eastern-bloc steel cased ammo?