Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 01-11-2021, 9:34 PM

Default Shipping Primers?

Was able to secure some SPP for my brother the other day but he lives out of state. Read online that it needs to be shipped with proper hazmat credentials, etc.

Anyone know of or have experience shipping primers through UPS/FEDEX hubs or through a third party shipper?

Thanks!
Old 01-12-2021, 4:55 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Look for ffl with that license. Cost 150-300 for individual to get certified. Some clueless buyer asked me to ship him primers and powder..

Last edited by edgerly779; 01-12-2021 at 5:14 AM..
Old 01-12-2021, 8:07 AM

You can ship it fedex ground just fine. I sent off a bunch of blanks with no problems
Old 01-12-2021, 8:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
Some clueless buyer asked me to ship him primers and powder..
Seems a bit harsh considering the guy didn't know........
Old 01-12-2021, 9:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fnlrun View Post
You can ship it fedex ground just fine. I sent off a bunch of blanks with no problems
Blanks are not primers. Completely different regulations. Even primed but otherwise empty cartridge cases are regulated differently than discrete primers.

Quote:
Quote:
Some clueless buyer asked me to ship him primers and powder..
Seems a bit harsh considering the guy didn't know........
Which is why the word "clueless" was in there.
Old 01-12-2021, 9:42 AM

Couple of threads on this, good luck finding anyone who can legally ship them. Primers are in a different 'hazard' category than ammo, primed cases or firearms. BIG fines if you are caught circumventing the regulations.

Could you put the SPP in some cases and ship those? A LOT easier to ship.
Old 01-12-2021, 10:14 AM

Well blanks have a loaded primer in them. sooooooo, your wrong Plus my Brother is the Ground manager up here in Redding and if he says it cool then its cool
Old 01-12-2021, 11:52 AM
Levers, the original AW
CGN Contributor

OP, sounds to me like a road trip to your brothers needs to be scheduled, any reason for a road trip is a good reason, but seeing your brother and picking up primers is a really good reason.

NRA Benefactor Member
. CRPA Member
Old 01-12-2021, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Well blanks have a loaded primer in them. sooooooo, your wrong Plus my Brother is the Ground manager up here in Redding and if he says it cool then its cool
That is not accurate. Loaded ammunition, blanks, even primed brass are fine to ship as a limited quantity (formerly ORM-D). Primers are a different hazard class and require full haz-mat shipping papers generated by a shipper with a commercial haz-mat account.
Old 01-12-2021, 5:02 PM

So which is it? Primed brass is fine to ship or require a butt load of paper work? Because I literally payed $12 declared the contents and they were off.
Old 01-12-2021, 5:42 PM
The Clip guy
CGN Contributor

Quote:
So which is it? Primed brass is fine to ship or require a butt load of paper work? Because I literally payed $12 declared the contents and they were off.
primed brass is not considered a regulated item, and can be shipped via UPS or FedEx ground. Note that primed brass means that there is the primer and brass, but it cannot have powder or a projectile.

blanks and loaded ammunition are considered can be shipped in limited quantities when declared to UPS or FedEx and labeled with the appropriate sticker. Note that the previously allowd ORM-D sticker has been replaced with the square with two edges blacked out.

Powder and stand alone primers are out of the realm for normal people to ship. requires special training and certification to ship.
Old 01-13-2021, 8:49 AM

I think were on the same page but speaking a different language lol

Primers are fine to ship. No issues. That's what I was referring to. Were you referring to Powder?
Old 01-13-2021, 8:54 AM

THIS IS NOT CORRECT - "Primers are fine to ship. No issues.".

You said you shipped "blanks"; primers in a case. That is easy. A bunch of primers by themselves (not in cases) goes into a different hazardous goods category. I suspect they are more concerned about some kind of chain reaction if the primers are not in cases.
Old 01-13-2021, 9:07 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beetle View Post
primed brass is not considered a regulated item, and can be shipped via UPS or FedEx ground. Note that primed brass means that there is the primer and brass, but it cannot have powder or a projectile.

blanks and loaded ammunition are considered can be shipped in limited quantities when declared to UPS or FedEx and labeled with the appropriate sticker. Note that the previously allowd ORM-D sticker has been replaced with the square with two edges blacked out.

Powder and stand alone primers are out of the realm for normal people to ship. requires special training and certification to ship.
This is correct. A box of primers, for practical purposes, can't be shipped by normal people.

Primed brass (otherwise empty cases, but with a live primer) can be shipped with minimal regulations.

Ammunition can be shipped but must be declared. Take it to the main UPS facility, not the local UPS Stores.
Old 01-13-2021, 9:08 AM

Quote:
I think were on the same page but speaking a different language lol

Primers are fine to ship. No issues. That's what I was referring to. Were you referring to Powder?
Read the above posts.

Primers and powder are hazmat. They can be shipped, but require someone trained in hazardous materials shipping to initiate the shipment. There is a route that will allow a non-certified person to ship, but will run several- to many- hundreds of dollars in fees.

Primers put into otherwise empty cartridge cases are classified differently than primers alone. They are fine to ship via USPS, UPS, Fedex, etc.

Primers put into cartridge cases along with powder and bullets become (formerly) ORM-D restricted (which is different than hazmat, but precludes using USPS to ship, I believe.)
Old 01-13-2021, 10:52 AM

I have read that primed cases via USPS is a no no?
Old 01-13-2021, 5:02 PM
Calguns Addict

OP
Go to a UPS hub not a parcel store and ask them in person.
They need the box left open so they can see the contents and they will either agree or disagree.
What I see most often is employees who don't know assuming they do.
I work for the largest shipper in the world and our employees hand out bad information all day long.
www.unlimitedrange.org
Not a commercial business.
URSA - Competition starts at 2000 yards!
Old 01-13-2021, 6:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Blanks are treated just like loaded ammo. ORM-D sticker is fine.
Primers and powder require hazmat shipping. Per the feds not your brother.
Old 01-13-2021, 10:38 PM

OP, if I were you I would just try to buy more primers and have them shipped to your brother's address. It will be a lot easier to do that than find a legal way to ship them.