Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Centerfire Rifles - Manually Operated Lever action, bolt action or other non gas operated centerfire rifles.

Old 09-22-2018, 3:59 AM

Smile The old Marlin 30-30 still shoots

This is a 1974 Marlin 336 in 30-30 Winchester. It had a neglected bore and I spent a lot of time cleaning it up. It was brutal shooting from the bench. So, I removed the hard plastic butt plate and installed a slip on recoil pad from Limbsaver.

I bought it used a and it came with an old Tasco Japan 4X scope mounted on it. The previous owner put a lot of scratches and dings on her.

Yesterday, it hit the range and set up a target stand at 50 yards. Tried some three shot groups with Federal 170 grain SP, Hornady Leverevolution 160's and some Winchester Power Point 150 grain ammo. I thought the Winchester had a problem as I only saw one hole through the scope. Then the line was cold and I walked out to check my target.

Well, well. It looks like the old girl still shoots.

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 09-22-2018, 5:11 AM

Very cool! Why buy new!?
Old 09-22-2018, 5:17 AM

Nice! I love a story with a happy ending.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:14 AM
Veteran Member

I've thought about adding one of these to the collection. They're not that expensive and I like the stock.

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 09-23-2018, 4:17 AM
Calguns Addict

That's not 45 years old yet, where is the old Marlin?
Anyway, good job bringing it back to working order, and nice shooting.
Old 09-23-2018, 12:38 PM

Yes, just another Obsolete Gun in an Obsolete Caliber that isn't good for anything because some idiot guru on the internet says you need a .300 Win Mag minimum to kill a 100lb. deer at 50 yards.

That gun will still be a viable weapon 300 years from now, and it looks like you got a good one. Oh, aren't Muzzleloaders supposed to be Obsolete?

The vast majority of guns I own were bought used including my 1958 Marlin 336 Short Rifle. (Yours is a Carbine) Just refinishing the wood on your gun would bring it back, and going after the worn spots in the bluing with Birchwood Casey Cold Blue will bring it right back to new looking in no time at all.

It obviously shoots well enough for any purpose you could possibly want from a gun like that. Looks like you picked a winner!

Now tell us you got it for $200!

Randy
Rule #1 Liberals screw up everything they touch.
Rule #2 Whatever they accuse you of, they are already doing.
Rule #3 Liberals lie about anything no matter how insignificant.
Rule #4 If all else fails, they call you a Racist!

It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,, It is how well you do what you don't know how to do.
www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 09-23-2018 at 12:40 PM..
Old 09-23-2018, 4:51 PM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

I got my last 1978 336 for $150 😃
Old 09-23-2018, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
Yes, just another Obsolete Gun in an Obsolete Caliber that isn't good for anything because some idiot guru on the internet says you need a .300 Win Mag minimum to kill a 100lb. deer at 50 yards.
Well, deer today are much tougher that back in them olden days. They just laugh at any hunter not shooting the latest Trendy Inc. Schutzenbalster with a belted case in a metric caliber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
That gun will still be a viable weapon 300 years from now, and it looks like you got a good one. Oh, aren't Muzzleloaders supposed to be Obsolete?

The vast majority of guns I own were bought used including my 1958 Marlin 336 Short Rifle. (Yours is a Carbine) Just refinishing the wood on your gun would bring it back, and going after the worn spots in the bluing with Birchwood Casey Cold Blue will bring it right back to new looking in no time at all.

It obviously shoots well enough for any purpose you could possibly want from a gun like that. Looks like you picked a winner!

Now tell us you got it for $200!

Randy
My fourth lever and second one in 30-30. I probably paid too much for it. But it is a slick gun that makes me happy. EBRs will be banned before Marlin levers are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyder View Post
I got my last 1978 336 for $150 😃
I just picked up a 1981-ish 336 for $325. How long ago did you find one for $150? That's a great price!

"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire
Old 09-23-2018, 8:05 PM
- DVC -
CGN Contributor

She sure does! Man! That's some good shootin, there, Koko P.

"....there never yet was any truth or any principle so irresistibly obvious that all men believed it at once. Time and reason must cooperate with each other to the final establishment of any principle; and therefore those who may happen to be first convinced have not a right to persecute others, on whom conviction operates more slowly. The moral principle of revolutions is to instruct, not to destroy." - Thomas Paine

.TOMMY ROBINSON WALKS A FREE MAN! | 1A - 2A = -1A
Old 09-23-2018, 10:09 PM
Veteran Member

I've got a 30AS that gets it done. I'd like a peep and hood, but it's GTG as is.

I've also got a Stevens 325 that likes the pointy boolits a lot. PAX

"A free people should be armed and disciplined" (George Washington),

Our Constitution was made only for a moral and religious people. It is wholly inadequate to the government of any other.~John Adams 1798

It a NOT a felony to steal a gun, but it IS a felony not to register a gun you already legally own
Old 09-24-2018, 3:09 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli View Post
I just picked up a 1981-ish 336 for $325. How long ago did you find one for $150? That's a great price!
Usually you need to know somebody that's getting rid of grandpa's old gun. Otherwise it happens now and then being in the gun shop at the right time.
I got my last 336 on Gunbroker a few months ago for $200 shipped, but the stock is missing and the finish is less than desirable.
Never initiate force against another. That should be the underlying principle of your life. But should someone do violence to you, retaliate without hesitation, without reservation, without quarter, until you are sure that he will never wish to harm - or never be capable of harming - you or yours again.

- from THE SECOND BOOK OF KYFHO
(Revised Eastern Sect Edition)
Old 09-24-2018, 6:21 AM
Just me, baby. Just me.
CGN Contributor

Kokopelli, about 4 months!
Old 09-27-2018, 8:39 PM

With loads of 170 grains for bear and boar, 150 grains for deer, 125 grains for personal defense and 100-110 grains for varmints, the old 30WCF may be the ideal survival rifle. With 160 grain gummy tip spritzers, it just may qualify as a scout rifle as well.

Old 09-27-2018, 9:26 PM

Shot my brothers wife's dads old 30 30 last year. Her dad has passed on so they had not shot the gun since. I looked it over, no rust, well kept. It did well, put a big grin on my brothers face.
Old 10-04-2018, 8:46 AM

I have an ugly *** Marlin in the safe that has one of the best triggers in the safe. I shot a 3" group offhand with peeps. I took a small forked horn buck last week with a Tikka T3 in 6.5 Swede at 70 yards and wish I'd been carrying my Marlin.
Old 10-10-2018, 2:45 PM

Here is another one that still shoots, although it needed a little help at first.

Back in the late 90's when I still had my FFL, I was at the Butte County Sheriff's office renewing my county license. I am at the clerk's window, and as I am finishing up, I hear a conversation in the lobby behind me. Seems this older lady has a rifle that belonged to her deceased husband. It has been sitting in her garage for some 30+ years and somewhat the worse for wear. She just wants to get rid of it short of tossing it into the trash. A deputy explained to her that the department would be happy to take it off her hands, but that she might want to try a gun shop first. That was my cue to step up and say "Hi. I am a gun shop. whaddaya got?".

What she had started life pretty much identical to the OP's photo, except the serial number prefix on mine is AD which is 1968. Aaand...the buttstock was missing. She said that at some point, someone had tried to disable the rifle. That was why the lever would not fully close, and was twisted side was about 12 degrees. The loading gate and barrel bands had been chrome plated. There were some scattered spots of surface rust on the receiver and barrel. Oh well. Free is free and the parts gotta be worth something.

On the way home, the light goes off. The next day I call Marlin customer service. "Hi. I need my rifle fixed.". As I'm reading off my fixit list, the guy stops me and says "Sir, we don't do any custom work.". I reply that I understand and further, I only want them to remove and replace factory parts. Alrighty then.

Fixit list--

Replace trigger/lever assembly and buttstock with straight grip.
Replace chrome loading gate.
Re-blue receiver.
Remove everything in front of the receiver and replace with octagon 38-55 cowboy.

A few weeks a some $375 odd bucks later, what I got back is in the photos.

Hopefully my descendants keep the paper work with the rifle. Otherwise it will drive some new Marlin collector nuts because the serial number is in the wrong place.

IMG_0278.jpg

IMG_0285.jpg

IMG_0282.jpg

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0284.jpg
Old 10-10-2018, 6:31 PM
Veteran Member

That is one nice Marlin,
Thanks for sharing

Happiness is a warm gun
Old 10-10-2018, 7:22 PM

Dang! That is nice.
Old 10-11-2018, 7:49 AM

Nice referb, OP. The gun gods rewarded you with a shooter. You too, RHT.
Old 10-11-2018, 8:44 AM
Veteran Member

My mother deer hunted on their property for years with a old Marlin in 25-20 she could flat shoot that thing.

Old 10-11-2018, 1:13 PM
Veteran Member

I don't own a single big bore gun. .308, 7.62x54r is as big as it gets in my safe. I'd like to get a big bore and it looks like 45-70 Is the best option for a non reloader.

Maybe Turners will have the 1895CBA or 1895G on sale soon. I really NEED one of these. I think they have had the 1895G on sale early this year.

I've also been looking at a 336 Texan. It has black Walnut wood and the price is pretty low, if you can deal with the extra engraved. I've seen it as low as $424.99

https://www.2azone.com/rifles/lever-...lnut-stk-blued

Happiness is a warm gun

Last edited by golfish; 10-11-2018 at 1:15 PM..
Old 10-12-2018, 9:44 AM
Veteran Member

RHT447, that is a beauty!
Old 10-12-2018, 9:51 AM
Calguns Addict

I got one 2-3 years ago, it has wear and is a Sears branded one but it cost me $75. Was at a gun shop not a private deal.
Old 10-12-2018, 3:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Swan View Post
I got one 2-3 years ago, it has wear and is a Sears branded one but it cost me $75. Was at a gun shop not a private deal.
Well done. I used to tell my customers to keep their eyes peeled for deals like that. Those old guns came off the same assembly line as the ones stamped "Marlin". I have catalog from Gun Parts Corp. (mine is #19, they are now at #37) and in there they have a "Store Brand" cross over list. They show the 336 sold under these 'house brands'--

Cotter & Co Model 33
Glenfield Model 30A
J.C. Penny Model 2935
Otasco Model 30
Sears Model 103.450
Western Auto Model 103.450
Western Field Model 33

Two more nice things about the older guns---as you can see in my photos, there is no hammer block safety, and most are drilled and tapped at the factory for a receiver sight.