Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 10-09-2018, 7:17 PM

Default Aguila SuperExtra 22 Long Rifle 38 Grain High Velocity Hollow Point

Grabbed a bit of the 40 gr. HV solid over at TargetSportsUSA b/f it went OOS and noticed this stuff for a buck-a-brick more.

Pretty happy w/ the 40 gr. solid, and Federal's AE 38 gr. HP, but was interested because the price is pretty good.

Anyone tried it yet?

TIA.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 10-09-2018, 7:41 PM

My son shoots this in his scoped Ruger 1022. Shoots great no ftf yet.
Old 10-09-2018, 8:16 PM

I'm not a fan of the 40 gr solid round point. Shoots OK in my newer rifles AR type rifles but my Marlins (older and newer) don't like it. I find that the round nose bullets seem to be softer and looser in the casing which allows some to deform on loading. Haven't really looked at it to closely but it may be a difference in the feed ramp that put pressure on the bullet and slightly angles or deforms the bullet tip in the casing. I got about 5 or 6 per 50 rounds box (times 2) that did this the last time I was at the range.

Not sure if the hollow points have the same issue.

Personally, I would go with the CCI Blazer instead from a quality standpoint.

I too am a fan of TargetSports USA! Great company to work with if you have a FFL03.

ARFrog

Last edited by ARFrog; 10-09-2018 at 8:20 PM..
Old 10-10-2018, 8:40 AM

Before the Ca ban on internet home delivery, I researched Aguila a lot. I bought quite a bit.
It works well in MOST guns. If you have a semi auto that requires a high power round, stay away from this.
My Walther P22ca requires a high powered round. Works well with some other brands. With the Aguila, I get a lot of failure to eject. Not enough power to fully slam the slide to the rear (they don't always lock the slide open after the last round), and then the next round tries to feed behind it. I've also noticed that not all the rounds feel the same. There seems to be a inconsistency in their power levels, which I assume should lead to accuracy issues.
So, over all, I think I would not recommend Aguila unless you have a gun that shoots everything--I have a few--or you could get them super cheap.
Old 10-10-2018, 9:24 AM

All my .22LR's save one revolver are Ruger's.

The A-SE 40 gr. solid works great. 100% reliable through thousands of rounds and between 1-2"/50 yards accurate.

The OP was RE: the new 38 gr. hollow point.

GR

(I think, therefore I am armed.)

-- Lt. Col. Dave Grossman --
Old 10-10-2018, 10:00 AM

I have and shoot Aguila .22 SEHV 40gr plated RN. Eley primed. These work pretty darn good in my two .22 rifle's. 39A and Marlin 25. I bought mine at Philipps Wholesale. Good ammo.
Old 10-10-2018, 4:46 PM

Here's an oddity. My Beretta 950 .22 short refuses to cycle with CCI shorts but loves much cheaper Aguila. Go figure.
Old 10-11-2018, 8:18 AM
I need a LIFE!!

I've had great luck with the 40gr solids. "Goes bang" reliability right up there with CCI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRydden224
I hope Ruger pays the extortion fees for the SR1911. I mean the gun is just as good if not better than a Les Baer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliff View Post
A Colt collector shooting Rugers is like Hugh Grant cheating on Elizabeth Hurley with a hooker.

Last edited by Fishslayer; 10-11-2018 at 8:33 AM..
Old 10-11-2018, 8:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Their Supermaximum Hyper Velocity 20 grains are amazing. 1750 fps. It's sort of hard to find but worth it.

All of their ammo is great but it all smells like camel crap.
Old 10-15-2018, 8:10 AM

I had a few bricks of the Super Extra that were as accurate and reliable as CCI mini-mags, and a guy in my club had sweared by it for several years so I decided to pony up when I found a good sale at Target Sports. I bought a case of it with the copper coating and a case in the standard lead, and both of them are awful. None of my Ruger 10/22s will shoot it reliably, and none of my four Ruger 22/45 MKIII pistols will run it reliably either. Even my S&W 15-22 which runs nearly anything wont run even one mag reliably. Turned out not to be a good deal after all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Luvr View Post
I beg to differ. The full length dust cover rail makes a world of difference in the "when I run out of bullets I'm going to beat you to death with the pistol" look that causes bad guys to run in fear, and lesser men to feel inadequate. It looks just plain beastly and the extra heft up front does help manage recoil a bit better. Plus, an angel told me that when God called JMB to heaven it was to build him a full rail 1911!
Old 10-15-2018, 8:32 AM

What happened from "accurate and reliable" to awful? That seems like a heck of a switch. But, it is .22 ammo.