Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Old 11-11-2020, 7:21 PM

Default CA CCW Help w/AZ & NV CCW?

Does having a CA CCW help you in any way of getting a AZ or NV non-resident CCW?

I understand I can apply for a AZ/NV non-resident CCW even w/o a CA CCW, but I'm wondering if I still need to take the CCW classes they require.

TIA.
Old 11-11-2020, 7:34 PM

AZ: https://www.concealedcarryonline.com...rizona-permit/

NV: https://www.concealedcarryonline.com...-non-resident/

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Old 11-11-2020, 7:40 PM

If you have your CA CCW you can apply to AZ with that.

If you have AZ you get NV. Although I read recently that NV might not be honouring AZ licenses.

Your better off with AZ and UT especially if you visit Washington state.

Last edited by madmike88; 11-11-2020 at 7:55 PM..
Old 11-11-2020, 7:47 PM
Front Toward Enemy
CGN Contributor

With CA CCW you need nothing else to get AZ CCW. The CA CCW is the demonstration of firearms competence, there is no other training cert you need.

Get your fingerprints rolled and mail in for it.
https://www.azdps.gov/services/public/cwp

Quote:
N. An applicant shall demonstrate competence with a firearm through any of the following:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the department of public safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the national rifle association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona game and fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any national rifle association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the department of public safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a department of public safety approved or national rifle association certified firearms instructor.

Last edited by SkyHawk; 11-11-2020 at 7:53 PM..
Old 11-11-2020, 7:53 PM

AZ and UT still good.

http://rccd.nv.gov/uploadedFiles/gsd...02)B.pdf<br />
Old 11-11-2020, 7:59 PM
Calguns Addict

NV requires the class to be taken in NV.

AZ is easy using CA CCW.

iTrader
Old 11-11-2020, 8:16 PM
retired Goon

As the other posters have said...

Having a valid CA CCW permit satisfies the AZ CCW training requirements.
Just make a copy of your CA CCW permit and include it in your completed AZ CCW application packet, which can be mailed in.

As of 06-01-2020, AZ CCW permits are still valid in NV.
^NV DPS will update the list of States that NV honors around June-July every year.

Under NV laws...

Having a valid CA CCW permit does not help in the NV CCW process.

Each County Sheriff Department issues their own CCW permit, which is valid throughout NV.

NV requires the NV CCW training to be done by a NV CCW trainer approved by the County Sherrif that will issue the NV CCW permit and each County Sheriff Department has a list of approved NV CCW trainers.

Note that NV CCW trainers are specific to the County that approves them and that they are not accepted by all County Sheriffs.

NV requires submission of the NV CCW application packet to be done in person.

So, select a County most convenient for you and take a NV CCW class by a NV CCW trainer that is approved by that County. After taking the class, submit the NV CCW application packet in person to that County Sheriff Department.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 11-11-2020 at 8:20 PM..
Old 11-12-2020, 5:46 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet View Post
As the other posters have said...

Having a valid CA CCW permit satisfies the AZ CCW training requirements.
Just make a copy of your CA CCW permit and include it in your completed AZ CCW application packet, which can be mailed in.

As of 06-01-2020, AZ CCW permits are still valid in NV.
^NV DPS will update the list of States that NV honors around June-July every year.

Under NV laws...

Having a valid CA CCW permit does not help in the NV CCW process.

Each County Sheriff Department issues their own CCW permit, which is valid throughout NV.

NV requires the NV CCW training to be done by a NV CCW trainer approved by the County Sherrif that will issue the NV CCW permit and each County Sheriff Department has a list of approved NV CCW trainers.

Note that NV CCW trainers are specific to the County that approves them and that they are not accepted by all County Sheriffs.

NV requires submission of the NV CCW application packet to be done in person.

So, select a County most convenient for you and take a NV CCW class by a NV CCW trainer that is approved by that County. After taking the class, submit the NV CCW application packet in person to that County Sheriff Department.
Add to the above that Nevada is a shall issue state so it really makes no difference if you have a California CCW. It neither helps nor hinders. As long as you meet the minimum qualifications you will be issued the permit. I have had my Nevada CCW for years and all the changes that seem to take place with Nevada recognizing or not recognizing a particular states CCW is why I got it. This way when I visit Nevada I am always covered and I don't care which other state Nevada recognizes. Well worth it IMO!

"Liberalism Is A Mental Disorder"-Michael Savage!

"The Object of Life Is Not To Be On The Side Of The Majority, But To Escape Finding Oneself In The Ranks Of The Insane"-Marcus Aurelius!

"Dr. Thomas Sowell Is A National Treasure"-Big Jake!

Last edited by Big Jake; 11-22-2020 at 9:30 AM..
Old 11-14-2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly View Post
Does having a CA CCW help you in any way of getting a AZ or NV non-resident CCW?

I understand I can apply for a AZ/NV non-resident CCW even w/o a CA CCW, but I'm wondering if I still need to take the CCW classes they require.

TIA.
i applied for the az permit while still waiting to have my interview for the ca permit and now have both. to satisfy the firearms training i sent the certificate that i received from my ca class as my instructor is certified for ca, az, and ut

sent paperwork for az permit on 10/29/20 it was approved on 11/5/20 and i received it on 11/13/20

had interview and received ca permit on 11/6/20

got my
Old 11-14-2020, 6:08 PM

If someone stumbles on this thread and is considering applying for a CA CCW permit, if they might be traveling domestically anytime in the next five years outside CA, it might be wise to see about finding a CCW class that also affords the opportunity to add a UT and AZ permit. Ideally you want an instructor licensed in Utah and qualified to roll your prints for UT and AZ, so that you can take care of the whole nine yards at once.

The UT and AZ permits are good for five years. With the combination of CA/UT/AZ one can carry in all the blue and green states shown on the map below:

When I took my class I was able to pay an additional fee and get my prints rolled for UT & AZ, as well as a photo for whichever one requires a photo be submitted.
Old 11-14-2020, 6:13 PM

How long does it take, assuming a candidate has all the paperwork, from submission to receiving the AZ, NV, and UT ccw’s.

I should have applied months ago, but we are going soon on a trip to Utah, traveling through Nevada and Arizona. Forgot about applying for a CCW
Old 11-14-2020, 6:58 PM

To verify on the AZ permit; a DD214 suffices for training.
Old 11-14-2020, 7:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357manny View Post
How long does it take, assuming a candidate has all the paperwork, from submission to receiving the AZ, NV, and UT ccw’s.

I should have applied months ago, but we are going soon on a trip to Utah, traveling through Nevada and Arizona. Forgot about applying for a CCW
AZ is good for UT & NV. Mine took a week from the time I mailed in the paperwork until I got the permit. I heard veterans go to the top of the list so if you have a DD214, use that for training.
Old 11-14-2020, 7:31 PM

My wife got her AZ CCW with just a California Hunters Safety Certificate. It took 2 weeks. (She’s now a NRA certified instructor and RSO)

I used my NRA pistol instructor certification for AZ. Took 5 weeks back then. Had it a year before I got my California CCW.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezaircon4jc View Post
AZ is good for UT & NV. Mine took a week from the time I mailed in the paperwork until I got the permit. I heard veterans go to the top of the list so if you have a DD214, use that for training.
I just received my AZ a few days ago. Using DD214 it took almost 4 weeks from when I mailed the packet. Still not bad, just a data point to consider.
Old 11-17-2020, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbo80 View Post
I just received my AZ a few days ago. Using DD214 it took almost 4 weeks from when I mailed the packet. Still not bad, just a data point to consider.
Must be the 'rona. I did my initial about 5 years ago.
Old 11-29-2020, 1:27 AM

Nv u will need to take the safety course. Just took my refresher course in August. Incline village might be easier and closer to turn in your paperwork.
Old 11-29-2020, 3:48 AM

Default NV non-resident permit

I always took the renewal class at The Gun Store on Tropicana in Vegas. Back then it was a fun trip but because of Covid you can't have as much fun anymore. They are still doing the CCW classes, check their website. Of course the price has risen since I last renewed mine over a decade ago. They charge $100 for 1st timers and $75.00 for renewals and the class size is limited and masks are required. I stopped renewing when they recognized the AZ permit, and they honor my VA permit since we moved here. Note: back when I 1st got the NV non-resident permit you had to qualify with the guns you wanted to carry and had to go to a LVPD location to register them and get cards for each one that you had to carry with the permit. They finally dropped that requirement and you can carry what you want. Eventually it will be fun to go there again!
Old 11-29-2020, 5:41 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

In case anyone is close to Thousand Oaks and wants an AZ application, I have plenty on hand to give out for free. I can also roll fingerprints.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 11-29-2020, 5:49 AM

Non-resident AZ straight forward to get with CA CCW; If you move to AZ just tell them; it becomes resident CCW with no other paperwork.
Old 12-10-2020, 8:42 PM

Default CA CCW Help w/AZ &amp; NV CCW?

Mine took 72 days from mailed to issued (For AZ)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Bunnysloper; 12-10-2020 at 9:02 PM..