Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Non-California Permits/Licenses
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Non-California Permits/Licenses For out of State License/Permit discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2022, 9:11 AM

Update: I called in. The lady reported that the hold-up was due to my "unique" last name. Because of it, they placed my application on the back-burner. She claims due to short staff they do not have the personnel to get thru the stack. By calling in, she did a manual check on the spot. I received immediate approval and should have it in the mail within a few days. If anyone else has been waiting too patiently, like me, give them a call.
Old 01-18-2022, 1:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandG View Post
The thing is, a number of people (myself included) had background checks that were "flagged" for nonsensical reasons like "has the same first and last name as another person in the United States", and those flagged backgrounds seem to cause the app to fall into an indefinite limbo that can only be ended by being a squeaky wheel, as oceanbob put it.

So there's a very real chance that your app simply never gets processed if you don't call them.

I’m planning a trip to Phoenix and it dawned on me that I never did hear back. I called today, and they said they needed to “clear the application.” Put me on hold and came back a couple minutes later with “It will be mailed out tomorrow.” This was for an app done early last year (May?). I should have called when you sent this message in November! No biggie as it will be here in time for my trip. Thanks.
Old 01-18-2022, 1:35 PM
FREELOADER
CGN Contributor

Had the same experience, planned the renewal WELL in advance of a trip, several calls and emails later, it's in my mailbox WHEN I GOT BACK.
Old 01-19-2022, 11:29 AM

Called last week following my submission back in September. Received the my license yesterday.
Old 01-21-2022, 10:46 AM
CGN Contributor

I have a renewal application that shows being delivered on November 1. I called and the person answering said they have processed applications received up through October 14 as of today. Good news, since mine is now expired, as long as it is received within the grace period it will still be processed as a renewal. Two weeks!

DISCLAIMER: The information contained herein is general in nature, which may not apply to particular factual or legal circumstances, and is intended for informational purposes only. Consistent with Calguns policy, the information does not constitute legal advice or opinions and should not be relied upon as such. Transmission of the information is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. Readers should not act upon any information in my posts without seeking professional counsel.
Old 01-21-2022, 1:32 PM

Just received my AZ CCW in the mail. Applied back in October. Called them after 75 days and they let me know it had already been approved and was mailed.
Old 01-23-2022, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhawker View Post
Just called about mine which I applied for renewal 75 days ago. I was told "it hasn't been entered yet. We're about 2 1/2 months behind." That's it. That's all I was told. No further checking or saying I was cleared or anything. A little different experience than others have been reporting here...
Just for a follow-up on this. I called again the day before it expired and was told, "We're about 120 days behind. We're currently doing ones for early Oct." (she said a date but I don't remember it, maybe Oct. 14th?). Again, like the first time I called, no offer to look into it, no offer of any other action as others have reported here. So, 13 days expired now and so far zippo. Good thing I have Utah even though I don't have any trips planned anyway. It's just nice to have in case some emergency pops up requiring travel. Guess I'll give it a few more weeks and see what's up if it doesn't show in the mail.
Old 01-24-2022, 1:30 AM

Quote:
Just for a follow-up on this. I called again the day before it expired and was told, "We're about 120 days behind. We're currently doing ones for early Oct." (she said a date but I don't remember it, maybe Oct. 14th?). Again, like the first time I called, no offer to look into it, no offer of any other action as others have reported here. So, 13 days expired now and so far zippo. Good thing I have Utah even though I don't have any trips planned anyway. It's just nice to have in case some emergency pops up requiring travel. Guess I'll give it a few more weeks and see what's up if it doesn't show in the mail.
I sent my renewal in Sept 18 2021 it expired Oct 20 2021. I called a couple time and they told me they were behind. I just got it 2 days ago.
Old 01-24-2022, 1:18 PM

aight, so i sent in an app jan 1 2022, so i guess i should wait until mid march-ish to follow up?

saul goodman!
Old 02-01-2022, 8:13 AM
I need a LIFE!!

FYI,

AZ SB 1177 is currently making its way through the legislative process. If passed it would require AZDPS to send a renewal reminder and renewal application to CCW holders 60 days prior to their expiration date.

AZ residents should contact their state senator and urge them to pass the bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-08-2022, 1:51 PM

I submitted mid-June 2021 after it was mailed back, asking for more details on pistol class certificate. Didn't call in ever since and thought I'll have to write off the expenses. 2/8/22, wife dropped off the permit at my desk. Approval letter was marked 2/1/22.
Old 02-17-2022, 7:52 PM

Called back again. Third time, first two times I was just told they were behind and it was in progress. This time I got a nice lady that actually checked and said it was "in background". She then said she would approve it and it would be mailed out tomorrow. Hopefully, it will show up soon. We'll see. It's been expired 38 days now (I think).
Old 02-18-2022, 4:38 AM

Quote:
Called back again. Third time, first two times I was just told they were behind and it was in progress. This time I got a nice lady that actually checked and said it was "in background". She then said she would approve it and it would be mailed out tomorrow. Hopefully, it will show up soon. We'll see. It's been expired 38 days now (I think).

I called twice to check on my renewal, seemed to be the same woman who answered. She wasn’t very helpful, also only mentioned they behind for two months.

What time of the day did you call?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-18-2022, 5:34 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I remember back when I first applied last year they were saying minimum of 75 "working days" for new applications. It actually took about 90. I did call once and they were very nice and helpful but I pretty much got the same "it's in the process" answer.
Old 02-18-2022, 7:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadedM333 View Post
I called twice to check on my renewal, seemed to be the same woman who answered. She wasn’t very helpful, also only mentioned they behind for two months.

What time of the day did you call?

Don't remember the exact time but it was after lunch. Maybe they're in a better mood after they eat, LOL...
Old 02-19-2022, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Don't remember the exact time but it was after lunch. Maybe they're in a better mood after they eat, LOL...

Thanks. I called them in the afternoon too for both times, not much help from the same clerk that took my calls.
I’ll try again in two weeks.

Old 02-23-2022, 7:07 PM
Banned

I actually called the AZ DPS CCW office today and the very nice clerk woman told me that they are just getting into the October 2021 mail in cue right now. Hope this helps out.
Old 02-24-2022, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Ok, it finally showed up today. I applied for my renewal 90 days prior to expiration, it expired on 1/11/22. It's been expired 44 days, so 134 days for a renewal. But, get this...The new one has an expiration of 1/11/27 so I've lost 44 days on this new permit, I guess 4 years and 321 days is still way better than CA's 2 years though.
Old 02-25-2022, 2:12 PM

I just got mine in the mail today. It expired in October and I am pretty sure I sent in the renewal paperwork about 3 months before that.

Last edited by intradubio; 02-25-2022 at 2:13 PM.. Reason: added word renewal
Old 02-25-2022, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by intradubio View Post
I just got mine in the mail today. It expired in October and I am pretty sure I sent in the renewal paperwork about 3 months before that.
Ok I looked it up I bought the money order Oct 15. Oops.
Old 02-25-2022, 4:14 PM

Application sent October 16th.

Just Received it yesterday Feb 24th.
Old 02-26-2022, 5:37 PM

4 months, right on. Did you ever follow up with them via phone?

I mailed in like Jan 1, extrapolating timewise sounds like I'm looking at mid-late-ish april? meh, it is what it is, az recognizes ca permits anyways
Old 03-01-2022, 7:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pewanon View Post
4 months, right on. Did you ever follow up with them via phone?

I mailed in like Jan 1, extrapolating timewise sounds like I'm looking at mid-late-ish april? meh, it is what it is, az recognizes ca permits anyways

I did, but there is honestly 0 point in calling. I called twice and both times they just told me they would get to it when they got to it.

Old 03-01-2022, 7:56 PM

Do certifications "expire" after a certain amount of time?

I got my California CCW last summer and added the AZ/UT forms, but I realized recently during cleaning that I never mailed in the AZ/UT forms.
Old 03-01-2022, 8:00 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthracite View Post
Do certifications "expire" after a certain amount of time?

I got my California CCW last summer and added the AZ/UT forms, but I realized recently during cleaning that I never mailed in the AZ/UT forms.
Should be fine

iTrader
Old 03-01-2022, 8:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
Should be fine
Thank you sir for the quick answer.
Old 03-02-2022, 9:51 PM

fyi, I am living in AZ now, and just renewing my CCW here is taking months. They are really backed up right now, most likely due to lack of labor.
It's been 3 months already for in state renewal.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:07 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Default Regarding Delays

Received this email today regarding the delay in getting permits issued:

Quote:
The Arizona Citizens Defense League continues to receive complaints from members about extremely long delays by the Department of Public Safety in processing CCW renewals. Many members want to know who they can speak to about the delays but our understanding is that DPS has not been responding to e-mail or telephone requests for status.

The short version of the story is that, yes, we are aware of the problem. Some AzCDL officers and board members are personally impacted, as well, so we feel your pain.

And, yes, we agree this level of service from DPS is unacceptable. Moreover, the processing delays exceed the statutory time limit but, unfortunately, current law doesn't include penalties for failing to meet the deadlines, so there is little we can do to demand accountability.
We have been in contact with legislators about the problem and have pushed them to take action on the matter but nothing has come of it so far.

DPS complains that they are slow in processing the renewals because they are experiencing ongoing staffing shortages.

AzCDL will continue to work the problem and will keep you informed of our progress.

Last edited by Doheny; 03-08-2022 at 3:23 PM..
Old 03-08-2022, 5:31 PM

I was just going to post this same email from the AzCDL, so thanks Doheny! And I also encourage everyone here to join and support the AzCDL, they have been relentless at defending & expanding the RKBA in Arizona and enhancing the value of the Arizona CWP! https://azcdl.org/membership/

The AzCDL Membership also has a unique aspect to it in that every single dollar of dues you pay accrues towards a Life Membership! So even if you can only afford say $30 for their Basic Annual Membership, you have also just paid 10% towards a Life Membership ($300). So as membership dues start to accrue over the years they eventually make a Life Membership very affordable, that is what I did and am now an AzCDL Life Member, however I have never resided in Arizona.
Old 03-08-2022, 5:43 PM

My Arizona CWP expires this August 22nd, so I think that with all of the delays, I will mail my renewal application this week and post-date the paperwork for May 22nd which is 90 days prior to my CWP expiration date.

I think that this may be a safe strategy to avoid my CWP expiring as I assume DPS is not even opening new CWP application or renewal mail for at least 2-3 months after receipt. Worst case scenario, DPS returns it to me for submitting my renewal too early.

This situation with Arizona DPS also underscores the need for everyone to have adequate back-up permits, as you never know what kind of scenario can leave you without a valid permit!
Old 03-14-2022, 8:20 AM

I called AZDPS last week and they said October applications are being processed at this time. They are definitely behind. Not sure if there is a separate queue for renewals and new.
Closed Thread