Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Curio & Relic/Black Powder
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Curio & Relic/Black Powder Curio & Relics and Black Powder Firearms, Old School shooting fun!

Old 01-13-2020, 8:21 PM

Default Chinese SKS type 56

I just got my new to me Chicom SKS and I thought I would share it with you all. It is a Factory 26 Chinese SKS made some time in 1966. From my research these rifles served most of their lives in Albania as foreign aid because Albania and Russia had a falling out and agreed to see other people. Interesting history. This rifle has some cool trench art on the side of the stock. I assume it is someone's name and is in Albanian but I am not sure. This thing had a ton of cosmoline on it.

It took awhile to clean up but I am pleased with it. All the metal is in very good condition with no pitting and still has about 90% of its bluing. The stock is beat up but is solid. I think I am going to put some polyurethane sealer on it to preserve it as it is and save as much of the markings as I can. It is a numbers matching SKS except for the stock.

After cleaning it I took it out and test fired 20 rounds with zero failures. Works Great. Bore is bright and shinny and it seems to hit point of aim at 50 yards.

I got this one from J&G sales for $379. I wish I had got one back when they were a lot cheaper. That seems high compared to were the prices used to be but these old guns are not going to get cheaper. I think they will continue to go up in value. There is still a few C&R surplus out there to be found.

Anyone else get one of these or rifles with trench art carved in them?
Old 01-13-2020, 8:43 PM
Calguns Addict

Yes I have two of them with Eastern European scribble on the stock. One of them has a skull scratched into it.
Old 01-13-2020, 8:45 PM
Calguns Addict

I bought those 2 for $239 apiece. U-Fix-Em several years back. One had a cracked stock, the other was missing the gas piston.
Old 01-13-2020, 9:39 PM

Nice find!

I'd get an after market stock for it, clean up the original, and put it away. When you decide how it shoots, is less important than how it looks, put it back in the original stock. Also. make *SURE* you disassemble that bolt, and get ALL that cosmoline AWAY from the free-float firing pin!

I have a Romanian, and a milled, Norinco. The Romanian is cool, but is half worn out, but the Norinco, is a tack driver, and shoots as well as my AR15 w/match grade trigger. Norinco was never fired, until I got it. I had it inspected by a decent gunsmith when I got it, and he said there's absolutely NO signs, it has ever been fired!
Old 01-14-2020, 7:01 AM

I'm continually amazed at how often the metal parts are in such a high state of preservation and maintenance on these Albanian imports, especially given the hag-addled condition of the stocks.

Nice catch.
Old 01-14-2020, 7:16 AM
(aka Hogswild)
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springfield45 View Post
I got this one from J&G sales for $379. I wish I had got one back when they were a lot cheaper. That seems high compared to were the prices used to be but these old guns are not going to get cheaper. I think they will continue to go up in value. There is still a few C&R surplus out there to be found.
Cool rifle in a neat stock

Surest way to make the value go DOWN would be to add the poly sealer to the stock

Nothing needed to preserve it
Old 01-14-2020, 8:58 AM

Chinese SKS stocks on the like new condition ones are yellow - at least mine are. This one like the one I just purchased - have much browner stocks - is this because the prior owner used motor oil to darken the stocks - ?
Old 01-16-2020, 6:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerbutthead View Post
Chinese SKS stocks on the like new condition ones are yellow wood - at least mine are. This one like the one I just purchased - have much browner stocks - is this because the prior owner used motor oil to darken the stocks - ?
I'm not an SKS guru but the norinco commercial market sks came with a yellowish chu wood stock. The Chinese military T56 seems, at least according to the internet, to have come with a chu wood stock as well. The last several batches of type 56 rifles have come by way of Albania since there's been a ban on Chinese sourced weapons for decades now and these Albanian sourced ones have the dark brown stocks.

I'm not sure why the Albanian ones have the non chu wood stocks. I would have guessed the rifles would have come complete to Albania from China, stock included, but maybe not. Either Albania was in charge of the making the stocks and had access to regular wood, or possibly the chu wood stocks were replaced during their regular duty cycle as they are not supposed to be a particularly strong wood and given these rifles saw some hard use they may have needed exchange.

I noticed the same thing with the Albanian sourced T53 mosins as well.

Last edited by blackrat; 01-16-2020 at 7:08 PM..