Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > General gun discussions
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General gun discussions This is a place to lounge and discuss firearm related topics with other forum members.

Old 07-31-2020, 4:30 PM

Default When are PPT cash payments due for a firearm?

just like it says, when are PPT cash payments due for a firearm? I have a firearm for sale and wondering what is the norm regarding time of payment? Is it when I drop the firearm at the FFL doing the transfer? Or does the FFL somehow hold the payment and release?
I have never done a PPT.
Thanks.
Old 07-31-2020, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
just like it says, when are PPT cash payments due for a firearm? I have a firearm for sale and wondering what is the norm regarding time of payment? Is it when I drop the firearm at the FFL doing the transfer? Or does the FFL somehow hold the payment and release?

I have never done a PPT.

Thanks.
I held my money until I inspected the firearm. When I sold mine I didn't ask him for the money until he inspected it.

I don't know if that's the norm but it felt right to me.

I did hear of people charging fees if the buyer didn't pass background as well. Never had to deal with that myself.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 4:39 PM

Right before PPT.

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
Old 07-31-2020, 4:47 PM

Pay after inspection.
Old 07-31-2020, 4:51 PM
Administrator
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

As already noted, usually immediately after the buyer inspects the gun and agrees to buy it.

Many FFLs do not even want to see the money change hands; there is some risk that even that little FFL involvement might incur tax on the sale he/she has to collect.
No one will really understand politics until they understand that politicians are not trying to solve our problems. They are trying to solve their own problems - of which getting elected and re-elected are number one and number two. Whatever is number three is far behind.
- Thomas Sowell
I've been saying that for years ...

There is no value at all complaining or analyzing or reading tea leaves to decide what these bills really mean or actually do; any bill with a chance to pass will be bad for gun owners.

The details only count after the Governor signs the bills.

Gregg Easterbrookís ďLaw of DoomsayingĒ: Predict catastrophe no later than ten years hence but no sooner than five years away ó soon enough to terrify people but distant enough that they will not remember that you were wrong.

Not a lawyer, just Some Guy On The Interwebs.

Old 07-31-2020, 4:54 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

People I've dealt with goes like this. Meet in the parking lot, walk into the FFL explain we're here to do a PPT. Seller places the firearm on the counter (in a case of somekind). FFL inspects the firearm for safety, lays it back down on the counter. Buyer takes whatever time he/she needs to inspect the firearm. Now right here the buyer can reject the deal if the firearm is not as advertised. Otherwise buyer hands seller cash, both complete the paperwork du jour and the deal's done.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 07-31-2020, 4:58 PM

I usually let the buyer inspect the firearm out in the parking lot, and then take payment before entering the shop to do the PPT. As stated above, some shops may not like seeing money change hands.
Old 07-31-2020, 5:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Featureless View Post
People I've dealt with goes like this. Meet in the parking lot, walk into the FFL explain we're here to do a PPT. Seller places the firearm on the counter (in a case of somekind). FFL inspects the firearm for safety, lays it back down on the counter. Buyer takes whatever time he/she needs to inspect the firearm. Now right here the buyer can reject the deal if the firearm is not as advertised. Otherwise buyer hands seller cash, both complete the paperwork du jour and the deal's done.
That may not be resourceful to a busy FFL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequencer60 View Post
I usually let the buyer inspect the firearm out in the parking lot, and then take payment before entering the shop to do the PPT. As stated above, some shops may not like seeing money change hands.
This. Some FFLs do not even want to wait while you inspect on their time. Do it outside and make the deal there.

You donít want to wait for a PPT to occur to inspect as thereís lines for PPT now.

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
Old 07-31-2020, 5:09 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
I don't think handing a stranger your firearm in a parking lot is a good idea.

YMMV.
CRPA Member

"Those who seek absolute power, even though they seek it to do what they regard as good, are simply demanding the right to enforce their own version of heaven on earth. And let me remind you, they are the very ones who always create the most hellish tyrannies. Absolute power does corrupt, and those who seek it must be suspect and must be opposed"
~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 07-31-2020, 5:13 PM

Call the FFL and talk to the buyer. I have asked FFLs and one said they don't want to see money and others have said they have no problem with money exchange inside. I've looked at guns in the trunk and I have done it inside the FFL. Depends on how much you trust the person would depend on where money is exchanged. I've done it at the trunk before walking in and I have received money as the FFL is getting the paperwork started.

You can always walk outside to exchange money after in inspection inside as the paperwork is getting started.

Last edited by Ivan275; 07-31-2020 at 5:19 PM..
Old 07-31-2020, 5:30 PM

Turners Signal Hill will/have asked us to go outside to exchange cash. This is usually done after one of the 50 trips to the back with paperwork lmao !
Old 07-31-2020, 5:31 PM

Quote:
This is precisely how it worked in both my situations, as buyer and seller, at two separate FFL's.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
Old 07-31-2020, 6:27 PM

Quote:

YMMV.
Not a lot of options, especially when the store may or may not welcome the idea of the buyer inspecting the gun on the store's time. I have done quite a few transfers this way, and have never felt like I was in any danger letting the inspection happen outside.
Old 07-31-2020, 8:09 PM

Inspection
Payment
Paperwork

Check with FFL's store policy on gun inspection & funds exchange inside the store. If they allow both, do it inside the store. If not, outside parking lot.
Old 07-31-2020, 8:39 PM

When dealing with PPT's, also check out their iTrader score. It's worth it's weight in gold.

Last edited by Nailer; 07-31-2020 at 8:47 PM..
Old 07-31-2020, 8:59 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9Cal_OC View Post
That may not be resourceful to a busy FFL.

This. Some FFLs do not even want to wait while you inspect on their time. Do it outside and make the deal there.

You donít want to wait for a PPT to occur to inspect as thereís lines for PPT now.
I don't deal with FFLs who cop an attitude.
CRPA Member

~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 07-31-2020, 9:02 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Not a lot of options, especially when the store may or may not welcome the idea of the buyer inspecting the gun on the store's time. I have done quite a few transfers this way, and have never felt like I was in any danger letting the inspection happen outside.
"on the store's time"? whatever does that mean? two parties standing at the counter dealing with each other somehow are consuming the 'store's time'

Here's news. FFLs aren't that special. There's another one right around the corner.
CRPA Member

~ Barry Goldwater 1964
Old 07-31-2020, 9:21 PM

Check Buyer for cash
Inspected firearms in the store for ppt
Complete ppt account and take cash
Old 07-31-2020, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Many FFLs require an appointment during covid, so it isn't like you are 'wasting' their time. For those the FFLs that do not require appointments both parties still have a right to inspect and conclude the transaction (esp payment) safely (just do it discreetly). Transferring payment usually cash in public with prying eyes is rarely prudent, but YMMV.
Old 08-01-2020, 4:38 AM

99% gun people are honest, sadly there is the 1%.....

trust is the name of the game, I have been lucky with my PPT, meet in a safe place always!

Get all the infromation before the Exchange happens, "condition, parts, and always exact amount of cash don't ask for change" don't haggle...site lowball
Front of the Gun shop. most of the time
Remember your buying a gun, be clam!
inspect the gun
now the trust factor, money has to exchanged outside
walk in start the paper work
make sure the guns are registered in CA with the buyer, and as for rifles best a stipped lower..who the hell knows what CA compliant is..
buyer pays all fees!
take a break outside and pay for the gun.

goodluck!
Old 08-01-2020, 8:16 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jorgi23 View Post
make sure the guns are registered in CA with the buyer, !
Really my friend. There is no way to know or is it required. You donít have to own the gun to sell it. A seller just needs proper ID like a CDL.

In these times of Covid my FFL takes first name and phone number while
You wait in your car out front. Always have good communication via Text.
I collect after inspection out in the parking lot.

The last handgun I sold the (very nice) guy parked next door to me and
I passed the Glock box over to his car. I told him to take his time and
We were called 10 minutes later for the PPT.

Iíve sent Gun parts thru the priority mail system to cal gunners who have
A good iTrader rating. I tell them we can Zelle or snail mail a check
after they receive my package. Never had a problem.

Be well
Bob

Life Is Not About Waiting For The Storm To Pass - Its About Learning To Dance In The Rain.

Fewer people are killed with all rifles each year (323 in 2011) than with shotguns (356), hammers and clubs (496), and hands and feet (728).
Old 08-01-2020, 8:25 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Most times in the parking lot before we even walk in the store I’ll store the Mags and slide and whatever isn’t part of the transferable firearm that comes off easily In my vehicle.

OT but why is it that the counter monkeys feel entitled to hang on to my parts for 10+ days? If they see the mags or slide or upper, 9 times out of 10 they are going to demand it be left there for them to scratch, lose, finger bang, heck I don’t know what they want my parts for.

Why is that?

Canít somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 08-01-2020, 8:57 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

Itís not only slightly dangerous.....itís illegal. You canít be handling/displaying handguns outside in the parking lot . Youíre asking for a Karen or a overzealous cop to put you in trouble.

Sure, if you live in the boonies, you might get away with it easier...and your past upbringing and history may allow you to be less concerned about it. But it ainít legal. Yeah, Iíve done it....but felt stupid about it later....you likely donít know the buyer or how he handles things in a way that doesnít publicly display it. Some FFLs have signs outside telling you NOT to handle guns in their lot.

With all the newbies buying guns, Iíd hate to think weíre just going to start them off with handling guns in the parking lot

Pay the seller after inspection, before paperwork. Do everyone a favor and donít make the seller wait for his money . Put it in an envelope and discreetly get it to him as the employee starts checking IDs/paperwork and handing out forms to fill out.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

ďCriminals, tyrants and terrorists donít do background checks.Ē ó Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020

Last edited by Erion929; 08-01-2020 at 9:07 AM..
Old 08-01-2020, 9:25 AM

Before the serial # is entered into dros.
Exchange money discreetly (most likely inside).
LGS staff may not like it, but most don't care.
The ones that do care and show it are those jackasses you want to avoid at LGS.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 08-01-2020, 9:31 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Itís not only slightly dangerous.....itís illegal. You canít be handling/displaying handguns outside in the parking lot . Youíre asking for a Karen or a overzealous cop to put you in trouble.

Sure, if you live in the boonies, you might get away with it easier...and your past upbringing and history may allow you to be less concerned about it. But it ainít legal. Yeah, Iíve done it....but felt stupid about it later....you likely donít know the buyer or how he handles things in a way that doesnít publicly display it. Some FFLs have signs outside telling you NOT to handle guns in their lot.

With all the newbies buying guns, Iíd hate to think weíre just going to start them off with handling guns in the parking lot

Pay the seller after inspection, before paperwork. Do everyone a favor and donít make the seller wait for his money . Put it in an envelope and discreetly get it to him as the employee starts checking IDs/paperwork and handing out forms to fill out.

911 operator: 911, whatís your emergency?

Karen: There are 2 people with a gun and money looking at it!!!!!

911 operator: what is your location?

Karen: The gun store parking lot. Get here quick!

911 operator: CLICK.

Canít somebody do something?!?!?!?!
Old 08-01-2020, 9:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by five.five-six View Post

Many gun stores in CA do not have their own stand alone building or plaza.

When 911 operator/dispatcher asks location, most people do not answer with "store name" parking lot, but major cross streets or actual address.

Old 08-01-2020, 9:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
911 operator: 911, what’s your emergency?

Old Joe, Mike’s father at OC Armory, once told me that a cop actually took a guy to jail from the OC Armory parking lot for displaying his firearm outside

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/238017

ďCriminals, tyrants and terrorists donít do background checks.Ē ó Judge Roger Benitez, 4/23/2020
Old 08-01-2020, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erion929 View Post
Old Joe, Mikeís father at OC Armory, once told me that a cop actually took a guy to jail from the OC Armory parking lot for displaying his firearm outside

Oc Armory shares location with many other non firearm related businesses.

Old 08-01-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:

lol

then first Officers arrived: what you selling a Registered Magnum? I wanna fondle
Old 08-01-2020, 11:17 AM

After inspection but before any paperwork starts.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:39 AM

Quote:

YMMV.
And plenty of stores donít love dudes to be handling uncased firearms in the parking lot.

Cash after inspection or whatever, dealer takes ppt costs at time of sale. Iíve done tons of ppts through calguns and no one has ever been particular about the order of things.
Old 08-01-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
Many gun stores in CA do not have their own stand alone building or plaza.

When 911 operator/dispatcher asks location, most people do not answer with "store name" parking lot, but major cross streets or actual address.

Indeed, at my local Sportsman's Warehouse, they share the same physical outer building, as well as probably some common walls, with our County Social Welfare Services Office ... can make for some interesting mingling in the parking lot.
Old 08-01-2020, 12:33 PM

I've had one FFL state that inspection should happen before entering the store. But it's not clear that can be done legally in all parking lots. Did that once using the back of the truck so it wasn't "displayed."

Sliding over the envelope after inspection. Can be done after the clerk goes to make copies of paperwork too. Or outside. Covid rules mix things up a bit.
Old 08-01-2020, 2:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I usually just invite them to my house and then they inspect and then Ill ride in their car to the ffl and then they take me home and I kiss them goodbye.
I have some pistols in the marketplace if anyone is interested.
Old 08-01-2020, 2:51 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirly View Post
When are PPT cash payments due for a firearm?
Immediately after my friend 'Mike' replies to your WTB ad and gives you the link to send payment by Venmo.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 08-01-2020, 3:01 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Absolutely, and I take no responsibility for the buyer passing DROS and the background check. If you aren't square then you shouldn't be buying a gun, if you fail the DROS let the FFL hang on to it and go find another buyer. Not my problem.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.
Old 08-01-2020, 3:07 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACfixer View Post
Absolutely, and I take no responsibility for the buyer passing DROS and the background check. If you aren't square then you shouldn't be buying a gun, if you fail the DROS let the FFL hang on to it and go find another buyer. Not my problem.
My thoughts exactly; and actually happened to me as a seller a good while ago, but happened nonetheless. I was in the middle of buying real-estate and had already spent the money earned on the gun which was essentially still NIB, so there was no issue with the gun that warranted a refund - it was all on the buyer misrepresenting himself.

It was more than 2 weeks later when I got the request. I declined a refund or to deal with it. I moved on and was not about to do a 'return'. Eventually the buyer cleared up his legal obstacle and WAS able to DROS the gun to himself months later.
What compelling interest has any level of government in knowing what guns are owned by civilians? (Those owned by government should be inventoried and tracked, for exactly the same reasons computers and desks and chairs are tracked: responsible care of public property.)

If some level of government had that information, what would they do with it? How would having that info benefit public safety? How would it benefit law enforcement?
Old 08-01-2020, 3:08 PM

Just completed 2 PPT's this week...both exchanged cash after inspection in the FFLs...no issues.
Old 08-01-2020, 3:35 PM
From anotha motha
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Buyer inspects firearm
Buyer pays the seller
Start the DROS paperwork
Buyer pays FFL for DROS
Shake hands, part ways
Old 08-01-2020, 4:00 PM
Global Warming Enthusiast
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordupmybrotha View Post
Buyer inspects firearm
Buyer pays the seller
Start the DROS paperwork
Buyer pays FFL for DROS
Shake hands, part ways
And then go leave good iTrader feedback.

Buy made in USA whenever possible.