Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Old 01-21-2021, 2:00 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Default My Holster Experience

So, insomnia is hitting me hard tonight and since I have been putting this off for awhile, here is my holster experience.
Hopefully this can help and will save you the ton of money I have spent in holsters sitting in a drawer. Most of these companies have a trial period and that helped. I was able to return some of these that I just did not think I would find use for. All of these holsters are from reputable companies and are very well made.
I will be talking more on how I felt wearing them rather than a product review. I gave each holster at least a week of trial (mostly around the house).

I am 5'4", athletic (competitive national/international paintball, hiking and the like), around 145lbs and gave birth to two (so a bit of the loose skin I can never seem to get rid of around the belly)

I did my research first on where was the most recommended place to conceal carry. Most of the pros seemed to carry appendix. That was where my journey into holsters started.

Gunfighters Tactical - local gunshop with all kinds of great service. The holster is a kydex holster with a claw - similar to CYA holster you can find on Amazon. This was my very first holster. I practiced wearing it around the house, but it was just not comfortable to me. It kept digging in. It concealed well and I even used it for a pistol class. However, I was just too aware of it.

Tenicor - I did not give up on appendix carry yet. I thought maybe it is the holster. I did my research and found one that is highly recommended. It concealed VERY well. This time, the holster did not dig into at the top, but at the bottom where the wedge was situated. I couldn't get it into a position where it was not hitting/pushing against a bone in my pelvis area. I was able to return this holster.

TRex - Similar to Tier1 (note: I haven't tried Tier1 personally). Even though this had a sidecar, I found that the holster sat a bit better against me. Still the hard kydex had a way to remind me that it was there. I think Tier1 style may be better since it has flex... If I do end up with it, I will update this post.

Raven - Vanguard version. I wanted to give it a try because maybe this appendix carry wasn't working for me because of all of the kydex. So, what happens if I hardly had any...
This did not last long. It made me too paranoid and I couldn't re-holster. Having two small kids, this was not for me. It concealed very well and was not uncomfortable (it was also not very comfortable - it just was). If your firearm has really aggressive stippling, you will definitely need to wear an underlayer shirt.

Alien Gear - I figured, appendix may not be for me. Alien Gear has a bundle that allows you to wear the holster in all kinds of configurations with the modular attachments. I bought the kit and figured, I may as well try different carry positions. (I should have done this first). During this process, I found that I was the most comfortable with a 2 o'clock position (yes, I know that is not a usual spot - it's like almost appendix, but not). So, it is just in front of my hip. I did not really like having my firearm behind me (personal preference/paranoia lol). BUT, the Alien Gear did not conceal well for me. But, it did help me find what position I liked and that a hybrid kydex type holster may be what I am looking for. I was able to also figure out what cant to adjust my holster to, to give it the best concealment. I guess this is another point of consideration if not wearing appendix. Appendix is pretty much up and down, but wearing it anywhere else, you will have to figure out your cant and placement - like forward of hip, behind, or back. I was able to return this holster kit as well.

(I wanted to give cross-draw a try, but the handgun courses I wanted to go to did not allow that kind of a draw. I wanted to be able to practice what I use.)

enter...

Black Arch - I have to say, that even though the holster is being concealed, I do like a good looking holster. (My husband teases me about this - him and his plain blacks). Black Arch allows you to customize. They have this leather/nylon mesh/kydex thing going on. You can pick the color of the leather, mesh and kydex. Anyways, I had fun with that. I chose the Dual Clip Protos M version. I LOVED it. It was comfortable and it concealed well.
I loved it so much I ordered the Single Clip Protos M version; although this was just as comfortable, it did not pull towards my body the same way and caused a bulge.
(note: unlike most other hybrid holsters, these had kydex all around the trigger guard)
The Dual Clip is my go-to EDC.

so, now that I found the perfect holster, you would think I would stop. But, I wondered what else was out there...

CrossBreed - I went with the Reckoning version. I also really loved this holster. It was not as comfortable for me as the Black Arch is, but it concealed better. It was also comfortable enough that I would be able to forget about it. I wore this holster for a few months to wear in the leather and I still go back to it at times, depending on the clothes I am wearing.

CrossBreed also has these BellyBands and I thought to pick one up for when I go for a run and am wearing sweatpants or the like. It is just alright. It seems to be just for that kind of thing. Not something that I am able to really EDC. I can't really put my finger on what I didn't like. My first thought to say is that it is floppy... but that can't be right because I run around with it. Maybe just a bit too much of a hassle... I may have to give it another go with regular clothes, but really I only use it when I don't have real pants on.

I then thought, that if hybrid holsters were this comfortable, I should give ALL leather a try.

Versacarry - I tried both the Ranger and the Comfort Flex. I liked their designs and that the holsters are relatively budget friendly. Both holsters are very comfortable. They have a bit of a break in period because of the leather. The holster starts out a bit tight. I liked that they are not for a single particular gun, so I can use different firearms (if they are similarly sized) in them. Definitely the most comfortable of the holsters, but it did not conceal well for me. I think the single clip is not for me.

Finally,
and this is recent because there was a REALLY GOOD Christmas sale I bought a

Clinger Holster - IWB Hinge Holster. There was a really good sale and I was reading an article that said these were really comfortable. The company also claims to be "Extremely Comfortable" as well. And I agree! Most comfortable holster I have worn. First day I wore it, we went up to the mountains and I went sledding with the kiddos and totally forgot that I was wearing this! But, I can only conceal it well in a 4 o'clock position because of how wide the wings/hinges are on me. But it is too good and comfortable to keep in the holster drawer, so I gave it to my husband (also because it is all black).

Conclusion: I EDC my Black Arch. I have changed the clips to Ulti Clips so I do not necessarily need to wear a belt.
As for belts, I really like the nylon CrossBreed belt - slim yet sturdy. I also regularly switch out between my brown CrossBreed leather belt and a Black RGB leather belt.
I have a G19 waiting for me (Valentine's/Anniversary) and am thinking I may go back and try Tier1 type holster for it. It will not necessarily be my primary, but will be #3 when I renew. I will update this when I get another holster.
One of these days, I may try to sell off these other holsters. Just because it did not work for me, doesn't mean it can't work for someone else.

Side note - I also have OWB holsters that I use for range courses.
-Red Hill Tactical has great custom holsters.
-I also got some OWB ones from Versacarry (I gave these to my dad and brother). Nothing wrong with them. My dad and brother really liked the look of them, and so I gave it to them.
-Blade-Tech has been reliable and very budget friendly.
-I just recently ordered from this cottage company called Lytton Custom Holsters and the customer care is GREAT. Justin really takes the time to talk to you to make sure that what you are ordering is really what you want. I let him know what I needed and he gave his input on how changes or adjustments can be made to get me a functional version of what I wanted. He was also very honest on whether or not he thought he could make the adjustments and changes I wanted and if he was comfortable doing it. I really appreciated this because I have dealt with companies that just want your money and they say they can do something only to make a mess of it. His input and honesty was very refreshing.
So, this LCH holster just arrived. My first impressions: looks great, but the kydex is not as firm as my other kydex holsters even though this is a 2 layer holster. I currently have my G19 out for some stipple work so, I can't speak yet on how the fit and feel is with the firearm. I'll put it through it's paces once I get it and post up on any concerns.

*update 02.14.21:
So, my Phlster Enigma arrived last week. I wore it around the house this weekend. And, I have to say that it is great being able to arm up in loose baggy sweats. It took a little bit of time (okay more than a bit) to find the adjustments and put it together. The leg strap was a bit awkward at first. I spent about half an hour working the strap adjustment so that the clip is not in my inner thigh but on the outer thigh. (I see buying more boxer type undies in my future). Watching a few videos. Once I got everything where I liked it, it was GREAT! Comfortable and conceals really well. I purposely wore one of the few tighter shirts I have and my husband said he can't readily tell that I am carrying. There were some lumps, but not obvious 'gun hidden here!' screaming lumps. Also, being able to do away with a gun belt helped keep the profile slim. So, I wore this around the house in sweats, played with my littles and even took a nap with them with the holster on. I did not have an actual firearm on me, rather an air pistol replica. (off topic: this has been better than a blue gun because i can load it up with CO2 and have some kind of blow back - yes it isn't the same amount of recoil, but it is better than nothing). I wore a fitted tank under as a layer between my skin and the holster. I was able to practice my draw and had no problems... depending on how you set this up, another reason to have an under shirt/tank is so that you don't flash anyone (especially if you plan on using this in a class or something). I went online to buy another, but there is a waitlist again. I think that if you do get on the waitlist and it becomes available, jump on it because it seems like demand is high. I paired this with the kydex holster I got from Gunfighter Tactical (see above) and it made wearing that holster like night and day. This isn't a stand alone rig. Consider it like a belt and budget it out that way. You will need a separate kydex WITH claw holster to set up with this. If you need to buy a holster, make sure to check out how to put the Enigma together to make sure you have the correct type of holster. I tried to fit my CrossBreed Reckoning, since I have a claw for it, but it is the wrong kind of set-up. I will wear this all week and update here if my impression changes.

Be Safe and Train Hard and I hope your holster drawer will not be as full as mine

Last edited by urduja; 02-16-2021 at 3:51 PM.. Reason: updated
Old 01-21-2021, 7:30 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks for the writeup. Where do you wear the Black Arch and with how much cant? I assume you have it at the 2 o'clock but it seems like any forward cant would make it difficult to draw, and back cant would make it print more since the butt of the grip would be near your hipbone. (And you said you don't like vertical cant.)

Since you like to try out holsters, you might want to consider the Phlster Enigma. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mykP5SWSjY8
Consider it taking the Ulti clips to the next level in that you can wear any pants/sweats/shorts/skirt with it. No belt required. If you do try the Enigma, please add your thoughts about it here. I'd love to hear your impressions.
Old 01-21-2021, 8:23 AM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have seen the Enigma and I have placed myself on their waitlist. I found it on YouTube with Armed and Styled. She is really good on giving carry tips and what to wear. I benefitted from the tip about tucking in the front of your shirt for a fluff.

The cant I use for the Black Arch is top hole and bottom hole. The bottom hole is toward the back and i place that clip right at 3 o'clock, wrap the holster forward and close my pants then clip the front clip (which is connected on the top hole) and then carefully holster my weapon. I don't over tighten the screws and i find that this gives enough wiggle on the holster to not be so stiff. I do have to check my screws every night when unholstering to tweak them a little bit again. I am using the Ulti-clips and sometimes I am able to go belt-less. The belt has helped push it closer to my body though.
I tried to place this button configuration with other holsters, like the Clinger, but it did not work well for that. I think the hinges are just a tad farther apart. This cant does work for the CrossBreed Reckoning.
Old 01-21-2021, 11:14 AM
Vendor/Retailer

So your pistol is canted forward? Interesting.

Ulti clips work if you pants won't sag from the holster weight. The Enigma eliminates that problem as you know. Honestly you could probably make something equivalent with 1.5" webbing, a low profile buckle and 1/8" elastic. It won't look as polished or sexy as the Enigma of course.

Have you tried using blue (not red) Loctite on your screw threads? That should keep them from loosening every day.
Old 02-14-2021, 8:57 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

updated with Enigma Experience so far
Old 02-15-2021, 6:57 AM
Vendor/Retailer

I think you'll find if you like wearing pants without a sturdy belt the Enigma is a great way to carry concealed. It really opens up a lot of dress options for females, although I kinda think the thigh strap would print under yoga pants. So there are limitations.