Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 02-28-2021, 1:26 PM

Default Best gauge to reload other than 12

If you were going to get another shotgun in something other than 12 gauge and reload for it what would you get. This is for trap and clays.
Old 02-28-2021, 1:47 PM
Veteran Member

Isnt 20 the obvious choice? Most serious clay shooters use $25k 20s.
Old 02-28-2021, 1:57 PM

Someone was telling me 16 or 28 gauge. Which I thought was crazy
Old 02-28-2021, 1:58 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canon714 View Post
If you were going to get another shotgun in something other than 12 gauge and reload for it what would you get.
This is for trap and clays.
Is the reasoning for NOT using 12ga to get around the 12ga availability problem or simply to have "something different"?

If for ammo availability, 20ga is the next best as it's the #2 volume seller behind 12ga.
Unfortunately, because it's #2, it's also all sold out.

Since you are reloading, 16ga or 28ga becomes a serious possibility as they really don't cost any more to reload than 20ga and both get you a smaller case which means less shot and powder which is fine for busting clays.
You also can often still find factory ammo for those when all the 12 and 20 are sold out.

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 02-28-2021, 2:34 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Someone was telling me 16 or 28 gauge. Which I thought was crazy
16 for hunting, 28 for clay sports.

There's no 16 gauge class so using it in clay sports isn't the best idea.

28s are fun and light, why not get one?
Old 02-28-2021, 3:18 PM
Veteran Member

Yep, 20 would be the next best cause if ammo comes back then you'll find it. I don't see a lot of 16s. It is possible to hit clay with a 410, but I'd rather have my 12.
Old 02-28-2021, 3:22 PM

The guy was saying it is more challenging to hit clays with 28 ga

But unless you can hit 25/25 from the farthest handicap I don’t see the point in anything other than 12 GA

Just wondering if there was another reason I was missing
Old 02-28-2021, 3:26 PM

You aren’t going to find 0.3¢ 20g hulls either.
Old 02-28-2021, 3:28 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I happen to reload all of those gauges, 16 gauge is a fun one to shoot and very accurate but guns are expensive, 28 gauge is fun and good for skeet fun but tough on sporting games, So I would say 20 gauge would be best to start, I can shoot skeet pretty good with it and sporting games it does well.
Old 02-28-2021, 3:47 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

While I love shooting my 28s, I gotta go with 16g if you're looking for something comparable to 12g. My father has shot a lot of ATA matches with a 16g. If you're looking for something really different, try a 24g, 32g or even a 9mm flowbert garden gun. Yea, the flowbert isn't easy to reload for.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV
Old 02-28-2021, 5:19 PM
Calguns Addict

Depends on how you look at it.

In normal times, it was almost a break-even to reload 12 and 20, because ammo was available everywhere and almost as cheap as the cost of reloading. Now, not so much.... but you had better have squirreled away reloading components because they aren't to be easily found, either.

16, 28, and .410 delivered the best savings, because that ammo was traditionally harder to find and more expensive.... especially .410.

For fun factor, any three of the sub-calibers would be nice - I always liked my 28 gauge for skeet and upland game, but then it got tough to find steel loads. The .410 is a good upland game gun as well, and it'll sharpen your skills some. I've never owned a 16, but that caliber has a cult like following.

If you're shooting trap from back in the handicap, stick with the 12. Skeet? any of them. Clays? Dunno. Hunting? Whatever you can get or load for with steel.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 02-28-2021, 5:48 PM
Calguns Addict

It would depend in what you shoot.
In normal times 12ga is cheaper to buy than reload unless you are loading tons. Same with 20ga. Now if you shoot allot of 16ga and or 28ga 410 etc then reloading is a must
Old 02-28-2021, 8:02 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Easy to load a 20g with a 28g (3/4 oz) payload. That's my normal 20g skeet round.

Unless shooting registered targets/competitively in a sub gauge class, I see no value in going down that more obscure road.

16g is terrible to find empties other than new eurotrash. 28 and .410 quality 1X hulls are available, but pricey in comparison to 12g. That said, they offer the most to be saved vs. store bought ammo in their respective gauges.

.410 hulls can be a challenge to load is what I hear. No personal experience.

12 and to some degree 20g have by far the most available and cost effective 1X hulls and assortment of wads.

Sporting targets with a .22LR are plenty challenging.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 02-28-2021 at 9:17 PM..
Old 02-28-2021, 8:08 PM
Veteran Member

28 all the way if you reload. In theory, tighter patterns at longer distances than a 20.
If I had a nickel for every gender that exists...
...I'd have $0.10.
Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.

Last edited by PoorRichRichard; 02-28-2021 at 8:11 PM..
Old 02-28-2021, 9:16 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoorRichRichard View Post
28 all the way if you reload. In theory, tighter patterns at longer distances than a 20.
What's the supporting theory?

I've always read about "square loads" (payload height =payload diameter) offering the best patterns. Aspect ratio would be closer to a 3" 20g, which is often maligned for the "long shot string".

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-01-2021, 6:56 AM

Why not just use a full choke in 12 ga. Wont that give you a tight enough pattern?
Old 03-01-2021, 9:03 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagerDog View Post
What's the supporting theory?

I've always read about "square loads" (payload height =payload diameter) offering the best patterns. Aspect ratio would be closer to a 3" 20g, which is often maligned for the "long shot string".
I had always thought a 28ga was a "square load"?

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 03-01-2021, 12:05 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
I had always thought a 28ga was a "square load"?
A quick googlefu gives me:

Quote:
The 28 has a bore diameter of . 55 inches and a shot column that's about an inch in height,
Another this:

Quote:
A 12ga has a bore diameter of .729 inches, and the height of a 1 1/4oz load is approximately .85 inches (not square).

A 1 1/8 oz load is about .765 (pretty close).

The British standard game load of 1 1/16oz has a column height of .723 (a square load).

The much favored 1oz "square load" of the 16ga has a diameter of .662 and a height of .824 inches (not square, when looked at this way).

The 20ga has a .615 bore diameter and its' common 7/8oz load is .836 inches tall.

Finally the new darling of a few shooters and frequently claimed to deliver even better patterns than the 16 GA namely the 28ga, with its' .550 bore has a .896 inch column height for its' 3/4oz load!

The .410 is the worst of the lot the 1/2oz load is 1.074 inches tall!
I don't know how much a square load matters for a superior (uniform) pattern. There's various arguments about shot string length too. Pattern size is adjusted with choke.

But if there's some "theory" that a 28g offers superior patterns, I'd be curious to hear it.

I've frequently heard, "hits like a 20g and kicks like a .410". Maybe that's because the platforms (guns) more approximate a 20g than a .410. Lighter payloads and heavier guns will kick less by definition (other factors not changing). So why not a 20g with a 28g payload? Personally, I think there's lot of stories that really amount to self-justification. Not a bad thing. Just not something that can be tested/verified.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter

Last edited by JagerDog; 03-01-2021 at 12:22 PM..
Old 03-01-2021, 1:09 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
.....So why not a 20g with a 28g payload? Personally, I think there's lot of stories that really amount to self-justification. Not a bad thing. Just not something that can be tested/verified.
Thanks for all the info (that I snipped )

I can see your reasoning. I had a 28ga Skeet gun. It was a fine shooter and took a lot of pheasant over good dogs. I ended up selling it because it really didn't do anything my 20ga didn't, and if I wanted to "play" as shotgunning I could dust off the .410. I used to use the .410 all the time over the dog for pheasant (and did quite well with it), but then steel came along and ruined everything. The 12 gets used for ducks and rabbits, the 20 gets used for birds and rabbits, the .410 gets used for fun, and they all get used for Skeet depending on my mood.

As an aside - as I start to delve in to black powder shotgunning (cartridge, not muzzle-stuffers), I hear a lot about the ideal load being "square". Don't know important it is, but is the ideal that gets chased. In this case though, they are talking about the volume of the shot and powder being the same in the load column.

And sure enough...... I did some Googling on my own (and probably should have done so before I opined) and found this:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/28-ga...-square-loads/

Quote:
....Except it isn’t square. “Square” means the shot column inside the hull is as wide as it is tall. Or, if you’re talking about blackpowder, it means equal volumes of powder and shot. Under neither of those definitions is the 28 gauge is square.
And further down, this:

Quote:
When I asked the engineers at Federal to test the 28 gauge’s efficiency against the other bores, what they found instead was an almost linear relationship between bore size and pattern efficiency. To way over-simplify their findings: The bigger the bore, the better it patterned, and we could discern no magic .55 inch, ¾ ounce payload relationship. Shot strings weren’t any shorter, either. It was like dissecting a unicorn and finding out it was just a horse with a growth on its nose.

Last edited by bigbossman; 03-01-2021 at 1:20 PM..
Old 03-01-2021, 1:48 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Yes, I've seen that reference for black powder.

I have nothing against 28's. A trim SxS in 28 is pretty sexy.

But I have no lust for them either. I have a pretty long supply of 12g and 20g components and progressive and single stage loaders in each. I don't shoot in any sub-gauge class. I can load both the 12 and 20 down to sub-gauge specs.

That Baby frame Beretta looks nice too. Though I'd bet 90% of 28 gauge today is shot at targets through tubed 12g frames.

I did see some reference to 3" 28g guns and ammo being/becoming a thing.

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-01-2021, 2:48 PM

Thanks for all the input... I think if and when I get another shotgun it will be in 20 gauge.
Old 03-01-2021, 4:19 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Thanks for all the input... I think if and when I get another shotgun it will be in 20 gauge.
good choice.

Did you snag some of the Rio 12ga hulls from ballistic products?

AR work: www.ar15barrels.com
Bolt actions: www.700barrels.com
Foreign Semi Autos: www.akbarrels.com
Barrel, sight and trigger work on most pistols and shotguns.
Most work performed while-you-wait, evening and saturday appointments available.
Old 03-01-2021, 5:20 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yes, I've seen that reference for black powder.

I have nothing against 28's. A trim SxS in 28 is pretty sexy.

But I have no lust for them either. I have a pretty long supply of 12g and 20g components and progressive and single stage loaders in each. I don't shoot in any sub-gauge class. I can load both the 12 and 20 down to sub-gauge specs.

That Baby frame Beretta looks nice too. Though I'd bet 90% of 28 gauge today is shot at targets through tubed 12g frames.

I did see some reference to 3" 28g guns and ammo being/becoming a thing.
For a while I lusted after a Franchi auto in 28, when I was shooting a lot of pheasant. Very lightweight, good looking, well balanced, and easy to shoot and carry. The notion faded though - 12, 20, and .410 are good enough for me.

Old 03-01-2021, 5:30 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar15barrels View Post
good choice.
^^ What he said. You'll enjoy it, and you're not giving up anything in performance.... if at all. Besides - if things get back to normal it'll be cheaper and easier to feed.

Old 03-01-2021, 8:15 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Yep, good choice. A tall blonde woman, a regular range customer, had inherited her uncle's Winchester pump shotgun, in 20-gauge. Grand ol' shotgun, it was. She graciously offered me the opportunity to shoot a couple of rounds every time she'd come to the range. Man, that 20-gauge was sweet. Highly recommended if you don't go 12-gauge.
http://www.liberalsguncorner.com (podcast)
http://www.youtube.com/sfliberal (YouTube channel)
----------------------------------------------------
To be a true Liberal, you must be 100% pro-Second Amendment. Anything less is inconsistent with liberalism.
Old 03-01-2021, 8:52 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbossman View Post
For a while I lusted after a Franchi auto in 28, when I was shooting a lot of pheasant. Very lightweight, good looking, well balanced, and easy to shoot and carry. The notion faded though - 12, 20, and .410 are good enough for me.
The 28g 48AL Deluxe is/was a nice piece.

I have a 20g 48 (rare 3" version"). Older one I had Briley install chokes. It's within a few ounces of the 28. One fast handling shotgun. One of my favorites. Stuff just seems to die in front of it like magic. In the end, they were made in Spain. Perhaps not significant, but.....

No Mas Hamas

#Blackolivesmatter
Old 03-02-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
I have a 12ga. I wanted a 28ga browning to match my 12ga. But guns are expensive

I took 1/4 of the money and bought a reloader. Now I reload 1, 7/8 and 3/4 oz in 12ga shells to simulate the feeling of 12ga, 20ga and 28ga guns.

I kinda like the 7/8 the best if I'm being honest. But I have options now.

So... maybe keep the 12ga gun you got and change up the ammo.

btw... I do not shoot in registered events. Just a weekend warrior having fun
Old 03-02-2021, 1:19 PM

I just loaded a couple shells in 7/8 and one in 3/4 to try them out. I have been spending alot in reloading so the 20 gauge will have to wait.

I am going to try out these 3/4 and 7/8 shells this coming weekend.

I am getting into casting buckshot now since I cant find any to buy.

Last edited by canon714; 03-02-2021 at 1:20 PM.. Reason: added more
Old 03-02-2021, 3:51 PM

Quote:
I just loaded a couple shells in 7/8 and one in 3/4 to try them out. I have been spending alot in reloading so the 20 gauge will have to wait.

I am going to try out these 3/4 and 7/8 shells this coming weekend.

I am getting into casting buckshot now since I cant find any to buy.
The 7/8 breaks everything that I aim at, very little recoil on my 12ga browning which has a little weight to it.

For the 3/4 load, it felt so light I thought something was wrong with the shells. It felt like a blooper. But it was breaking shells. I had a problem breaking targets about 35 yards away, but that honestly could have been me and not the ammo.

I think I needed to use more choke.

YMMV
Old 03-02-2021, 4:37 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Quote:

Sporting targets with a .22LR are plenty challenging.
Have you tried it? I haven't ever tried to shoot a game but, I have played with one of my .22lr smoothbores at station #7 on a skeet range. After realizing that the shot actually was faster than a 12g and required less lead, I broke about 20-25% of the few birds I shot at.
Utah CCW Instructor

Offering low cost multi state CCW, private basic shooting and reloading classes for calgunners.

CCW SAFE MEMBERSHIPS HERE

KM6WLV