Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Concealed Carry Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Concealed Carry Discussion General discussion regarding CCW/LTC in California

Old 04-09-2021, 8:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterrego View Post
Reading some of the replies here it is obvious that some people fail to grasp all the reasons for the practice or are so narrow minded that they can't conceive of the various scenarios that may require mixing ammo.

For example, you have an autoloader that is only reliable with ball ammo. It is the only gun you have and spending several hundred dollars to get something else is not an option

So you put a hollow point or some modern self defense load in the chamber and fill the magazine with hardball.

Or maybe put something like a Glazer Safety Slug in the chamber and hardball for the rest of the magazine. You may want to have a low penetration round as your first shot if you are worried about hitting someone in your family on the other side of a drywall partition and if that doesn't stop the attacker then it's Katy bar the door and go for the penetration of hardball and make sure of your target.
No scenario requires mixing ammo. Many here simply think the idea of mixing ammo to be a poor idea and should be avoided if at all possible.
Old 04-09-2021, 2:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walterrego View Post

Or maybe put something like a Glazer Safety Slug in the chamber and hardball for the rest of the magazine. You may want to have a low penetration round as your first shot if you are worried about hitting someone in your family on the other side of a drywall partition and if that doesn't stop the attacker then it's Katy bar the door and go for the penetration of hardball and make sure of your target.
This is some '90s gunstore boomer stuff right here. Glazer safety slugs went out with Members Only jackets.

Candycaning/alternating rounds is just more goofy gunstore fud. Please get training by subject matter experts from the 21st century, thanks.
Old 04-13-2021, 6:47 PM

I use to think it was a good idea many years ago. Like snake shot in my 44 Special or Mag.

Now I do not, as I'm more interested in possibility of using all of the rounds for self-defense and need the penetration in each and every shot. I worry less about over-penetration than most others. That doesn't mean ball ammo but good hollow point bullets.
Old 04-13-2021, 8:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewok55 View Post
I have a Ruger LC9 that doesn't feed the first two in 9 round magazines if they are hollow points, but it's 100% with FMJ ball. So I carry the 9 round magazine with the top two FMJ as a backup magazine.
My Baby Desert Eagle was very finiky with hollow points until I had the weapon ramped and throated a bit. Now the weapon is like a dirty little whore and eats anything I throw its way. Over 20K thru the pipe since '92 and 1 malfunction. Yes only 1. I only have 3 factory 12 rd magazines.

My CZ75 was the same way. Did the same and it eats all ammo. Not even 1 malfunction since I had the gunsmith work his magic.

I would never carry a weapon that I could not "count" on when I need it most and have to remember does this magazine have 2 ball first? Am I gonna have to clear a jam? not very comforting at all
Old 04-13-2021, 8:03 PM
Calguns Addict

In defense of my Life, the best goes first.

If problems linger, I'll shoot the crappy stuff...

But, the problems won't linger.

OP, if someone hits you in the face with their fist, will you retaliate with a well-rehearsed quip? Or, will you hit them in the face with the chair upon which you sit?

Maximum violence to eliminate the threat.
Old 04-13-2021, 8:21 PM

How much defensive ammo do you really need? I mean, have you ever even had to use defensive ammo in a real-world situation?!

Keep a few mags of HP's at your bedside, or wherever it is you keep your firearm. If your'e really that low on HP's and only have like one or two rounds, fill the rest of the mag up with FMJ. Use whatever you have, but no sense in "rationing" the HP's if you have them. That's what they're there for, to use if SHTF. Don't overthink it, but also make sure the firearm you may be firing hollow points out of will chuckle them. Some firearms are finicky with certain types if HP's. I've always shot a magazine of whatever HP's I plan on using through any handgun I won that would be used for self defense just to make sure there aren't any problems.