Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Old 04-11-2021, 1:39 PM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Default Brass Inspection

Found this today while processing some 30-06 brass. One more time mighta been bad

Image 0 (1).jpg
Image 1.jpg

This came from a 1000ct lot of 'once fired' mixed headstamp brass that I bought several years ago. Just now getting around to working thru some of it.

I'd be interested in see what the gun looks like that fired this thing....

Old 04-11-2021, 1:45 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

Reloading is fun and a wonderful experience. You can never forget that it is also a serious undertaking, however.
Old 04-11-2021, 2:13 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by choprzrul View Post
I'd be interested in see what the gun looks like that fired this thing....
I would probably look like it did before it fired that round. Most likely gas and maybe some debris would have come out through the rear of the bolt. At least, that's what happened to me when I had a similar case breach.

"Give a conservative a pile of bricks and you get a beautiful city. Give a leftist a city and you get a pile of bricks."
Old 04-11-2021, 5:32 PM

Hence the reason we "inspect".
Old 04-11-2021, 10:42 PM

Might want to do the "paper clip" test on the rest of that batch to be sure.
Old 04-12-2021, 7:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpo628 View Post
Might want to do the "paper clip" test on the rest of that batch to be sure.
That is not a case head separation; just a split or crack in the brass. Though a check for separation is not a bad idea if you don't know how the brass was treated. Peace of mind type thing.
Old 04-12-2021, 5:07 PM

The blowout is close to where a case head separation would occur, so its possible it went through the weakest spot. I'd check them all after that to make sure if they were range pickups.

Corrosion could be another cause of the failure. I'd cut that failed case in half to take a look from the inside.

Last edited by bumpo628; 04-12-2021 at 5:44 PM..
Old 04-13-2021, 7:05 AM
Calguns Addict
CGN Contributor

Circa 1990 after I got out of the Army, I started working at the Baldwin Filters factory making oil filters. The 'cans' were pressed out of a stamped round piece of sheet metal and occasionally we would see a stress 'hole' flaw in the can. They weren't an actual hole thru the metal, rather it was a visible flaw that you could see in the metal. If they were made into an oil filter, we were told that they would seep or leak at that point as the metal's integrity was compromised.

I say all of that because this actual hole in the brass looks a lot like the stress holes i could see after that sheetmetal was formed......and I suspect that the same thing happened when this piece of brass was formed. When this was fired in the rifle, the weak point in the brass failed and hot gasses pushed thru the weak point.

Just hypothesizing based upon some old personal experiences....

Last edited by choprzrul; 04-13-2021 at 8:33 AM..