Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 03-19-2014, 9:25 AM

Default HK MP5 22lr by Walther - range impressions

Finally had a chance to go to the range (Reed's Indoor Range in Santa Clara). Wow, this thing is fun to shoot! I'm very happy with it. Because this is my first experience shooting a firearm in .22lr, I was really thrown off by the lack of recoil - it feels like shooting an airgun! I think the weight of the gun helps too (about 6lbs - very solid).

I shot around 200 rounds with a combination of CCI Blazer, Remington Golden Bullets, Remington Thunderbolts, and Federal Champion. Not one FTF or FTE. I did notice that my grouping was worse with the Thunderbolts. And boy are the Thunderbolts dirty! I'm no expert, but my groupings were within an inch at 25 yards (the maximum distance at Reed's). I was quite happy. The airsoft low mount rail with the cheap reflex sight really made plinking at that distance doable, since I don't have great eyesight.

All in all, I'm very happy with this thing. Got it for $509 + tax + DROS at Big 5. Everyone at the range who noticed it was really impressed with how it felt and shot.

The only drawback on this firearm is that the paint tends to fleck off fairly easily - especially on the area where the collapsible stock rail goes. Not a big deal for me - I have just been using a permanent marker to color the bare metal in. Other than that, this thing is a lot of fun! I'm sure with a more experienced shooter and good ammo, would be a tack driver.

Oh, and it's a hoot to do the HK slap! It doesn't get old. =D

Last edited by marcopolo_9mm; 03-19-2014 at 9:33 AM..
Old 03-19-2014, 2:26 PM

Nice! I need to pick up one of these to compliment the Sig 522 I just jailed.

Seems like I've seen both Walther and GSG versions of an MP5SD. Any particular reason why you went with the Walther?
Old 03-19-2014, 2:56 PM

I bought the same one also at Big 5 on black Friday weekend. I love mine. I put a NCstar green dot I got at Turners that is made with the mount for the MP5. Its been flawless and accurate so far. Need more mags
Old 03-19-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiddyHitch View Post
Nice! I need to pick up one of these to compliment the Sig 522 I just jailed.

Seems like I've seen both Walther and GSG versions of an MP5SD. Any particular reason why you went with the Walther?
Walther is licensed to use the HK brand name - GSG is not. Also, I read the reviews for both and the Walther seemed to be better. I do believe the GSG5 is cheaper though.

I like the Sig 522 a lot, but I ultimately ended up with this. I've always liked the MP5 and I will never buy an HK94 based off the captain insano prices they command.
Old 03-20-2014, 7:00 AM
retired Goon

The H&K/Umarex/Walther MP5 is better than the German Sport Guns MP5.
Higher quality parts, better fit & finish and better attention to details.

The German Sport Guns GSG-5/GSG-522 is an unlicensed .22LR MP-5 style firearm. H&K sued German Sport Guns for trademark infringements over this. As part of the settlement, German Sport Guns had to redesign the exterior of the GSG-5 so that it no longer resembled a MP-5. The redesign is the current production GSG-522.
In essence, German Sport Guns (an airgun & airsoft manufacturer) took their airsoft MP-5 and made it into a .22LR firearm.

H&K licensed Umarex to make them airsoft and .22LR firearm versions of the MP-5, HK-416 and MP-7. Umarex owns Walther.
In essence, Walther took a Umarex (an airgun & airsoft manufacturer) airsoft MP-5 and made it into a .22LR firearm.

The airsoft parentage is evident in the fact that both .22LR MP5 variants have more parts in common & are compatible with airsoft parts than with real MP5 firearm parts.

"If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama (Seattle Times, 05-15-2001).

Last edited by Quiet; 03-20-2014 at 7:03 AM..
Old 03-20-2014, 7:16 AM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

Can you provide info regarding the scope and mount. I'd like to go that direction.

Thanks!

Triple
Old 03-20-2014, 8:30 AM

Does that sight even come close to a co-witness it looks way to tall.
Old 03-20-2014, 9:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMB Fan View Post
Does that sight even come close to a co-witness it looks way to tall.
No co-witness at all. I didn't want to. If you want cowitness, get the sight that Ramcharger is talking about. I believe it is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/NcStar-1X20-Si...rds=ncstar+mp5
Old 03-20-2014, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleThreat View Post
Can you provide info regarding the scope and mount. I'd like to go that direction.

Thanks!

Triple
Here you go Triple:

I got the rail from

http://www.acidtactical.com/product_...roducts_id/129

For an optical, I got

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00457SRBI

They cost me under $35 for both and it does the job. I didn't want to spend too much on this plinkster.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:17 PM

Thanks for the feedback and info, marcopolo/Quiet/RAMCHARGER. I swung by my local Big5 on a whim to see if they had any in stock. They did sure enough with a big sale tag on it. I was bowled over by the heft and quality when I handled it so I had no choice but to make it my own.

I see a serious problem developing however, as I currently have 3 pieces in jail now after never having owned one up until this point (despite going to the range a lot growing up). Let's just say that I'm catching up on missed time.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:34 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo_9mm View Post
Here you go Triple:....
Greatly appreciate it! Already ordered the rail.

Triple
Old 03-20-2014, 12:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

HK is easier to takedown and clean versus the GSG
Old 03-20-2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
No co-witness at all. I didn't want to. If you want cowitness, get the sight that Ramcharger is talking about. I believe it is this one:

Yea that's what I have. It puts the dot in the tip on the front sight when viewed through the rear sight.
Old 03-20-2014, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by defcon View Post
HK is easier to takedown and clean versus the GSG
push out 3 pins and it fits in a duffel bag that does not say "OH MY GOD HE HAS A GUN"
Old 03-20-2014, 5:15 PM

Are the factory mags plastic on these guys? Those are the only ones I'm seeing online but they felt more substantial in person and I could have sworn that they were metal. At least they didn't make the 10-rnd version a stubby.
Old 03-20-2014, 8:13 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

This gun is not a toy IMO, it's a great weapon, easy and fun to shoot. I'd just it in a HD situation in heart beat. I'm so happy with this purchase it's quickly becoming one of my favorites. I'd take it over a 10/22 any day. 400 rounds so far, not one FTF or FTE.

Triple

Last edited by TripleThreat; 03-21-2014 at 7:12 AM..
Old 03-20-2014, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Are the factory mags plastic on these guys? Those are the only ones I'm seeing online but they felt more substantial in person and I could have sworn that they were metal. At least they didn't make the 10-rnd version a stubby.
They are plastic - very solid construction though.

Congrats on the purchase - you won't be disappointed!
Old 03-21-2014, 9:00 PM

Marco,

Quote:

I'm new to this and trying to figure out what to do for optics on this one considering that it will probably just get brought to the indoor ranges (25 yds max, standing unsupported). Why did you go with non-cowitness?

Quote:
They are plastic - very solid construction though.

Congrats on the purchase - you won't be disappointed!
Good to know! Not sure why but I feel the need to pick up at least another four.

Great to hear. It was something of an impulse buy (prompted by a childhood spent with Navy SEALs, Die Hard 2, SoF magazine, etc.), but I am supremely excited about this one. I still can't believe how good this thing felt in the store. If I ever came across the SD version I would be sorely tempted to pick that one up too.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:14 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Marco, Why did you go with non-cowitness
I hope the OP doesn't mind if I jump in here and give my rational. I decided to pass on co-witnessing on the MP5 because I have to put my cheek really far down into the gun to pick of the stock sights. This is a point and shoot weapon, you can even shoot from the hip and be pretty close to your target without sights and feel your way to the target, if you will. With a red dot I will be able pick up targets quickly and easily, vs going co witness. On this weapon it would both slow me down and put me in a less natural and comfortable position.

Triple

Last edited by TripleThreat; 03-27-2014 at 12:09 PM..
Old 03-22-2014, 9:05 PM

Quote:
I hope the OP doesn't mind if I jump in here and give my rational. I decided to pass on co-witnessing on the MP5 because I have to be my cheek really far down into the gun to pick of the stock sights. This is a point and shoot weapon, you can even shoot from the hip and be pretty close to your target without sights and feel your way to the target, if you will. With a red dot I will be able pick up targets quickly and easily, vs going co witness. On this weapon it would both slow me down and put me in a less natural and comfortable position.

Triple
We're on the same page Triple!
Old 03-22-2014, 9:16 PM

Quote:
Marco,

I'm new to this and trying to figure out what to do for optics on this one considering that it will probably just get brought to the indoor ranges (25 yds max, standing unsupported). Why did you go with non-cowitness?

Good to know! Not sure why but I feel the need to pick up at least another four.

Great to hear. It was something of an impulse buy (prompted by a childhood spent with Navy SEALs, Die Hard 2, SoF magazine, etc.), but I am supremely excited about this one. I still can't believe how good this thing felt in the store. If I ever came across the SD version I would be sorely tempted to pick that one up too.
I consider this to be a fun plinker and the MP5 has a crappy cheek weld with the collapsible stock - which is fine by me. I don't want to get the fixed stock as it wouldn't look like the MP5 you see in movies. Getting a (cheap) reflex sight will allow very quick target acquisition - aim and fire away. On a more "serious" firearm, I would do some sort of cowitness. My AR-15 is set up with absolute cowitness between my aimpoint micro and the iron sights, but I keep my rear BUIS down most of the time.

I picked up two additional mags. How I wish we weren't limited to 10 rounds...

If you haven't watched Dredd (2012), do it. The MP5 is a featured firearm in it. And it's a fun flick!
Old 03-22-2014, 10:03 PM
Vendor/Retailer

i have the airsoft MP5A5 and its the same good quality plastic as the .22LR HK MP5.

im going to see if i can swap out the airsoft MP5 skeleton stock and put it on the .22 version
Old 03-24-2014, 9:55 AM

Quote:
i have the airsoft MP5A5 and its the same good quality plastic as the .22LR HK MP5.

im going to see if i can swap out the airsoft MP5 skeleton stock and put it on the .22 version
Let us know The sskeleton stock is kinda wobbly.
Old 03-24-2014, 9:57 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMCHARGER View Post
Plasic? What plasic? My .22 HK MP5 is all metal receiver. The scratches on my receiver are all shiny metal showing
is it? i didnt know the lower receiver .22LR MP5 is metal?
Old 03-24-2014, 10:24 AM

Quote:
is it? i didnt know the lower receiver .22LR MP5 is metal?
I thought it was referring to the Actual receiver. Trigger assembly is not a receiver. Its not an AR And it is metal inside there too. Big thick chunck of metal. Some mystery metall maybe but still solid. The pistol grip is just a shell and the innards come out. Same as the real MP5s I think.
Old 03-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Quote:

Now I am a little dissapointed that nobody makes a stamped steel receiver one like the real MP5. Especially since I had an airsoft one that was (SRC).
Old 03-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAMCHARGER View Post
I thought it was referring to the Actual receiver. Trigger assembly is not a receiver. Its not an AR And it is metal inside there too. Big thick chunck of metal. Some mystery metall maybe but still solid. The pistol grip is just a shell and the innards come out. Same as the real MP5s I think.
yea i was referring to the lower pistol grip receiver area being plastic like the airsoft versions.
Old 03-24-2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
I hope the OP doesn't mind if I jump in here and give my rational. I decided to pass on co-witnessing on the MP5 because I have to be my cheek really far down into the gun to pick of the stock sights. This is a point and shoot weapon, you can even shoot from the hip and be pretty close to your target without sights and feel your way to the target, if you will. With a red dot I will be able pick up targets quickly and easily, vs going co witness. On this weapon it would both slow me down and put me in a less natural and comfortable position.

Triple
Quote:
I consider this to be a fun plinker and the MP5 has a crappy cheek weld with the collapsible stock - which is fine by me. I don't want to get the fixed stock as it wouldn't look like the MP5 you see in movies. Getting a (cheap) reflex sight will allow very quick target acquisition - aim and fire away. On a more "serious" firearm, I would do some sort of cowitness. My AR-15 is set up with absolute cowitness between my aimpoint micro and the iron sights, but I keep my rear BUIS down most of the time.

I picked up two additional mags. How I wish we weren't limited to 10 rounds...

If you haven't watched Dredd (2012), do it. The MP5 is a featured firearm in it. And it's a fun flick!
Thanks for the info, guys. I would want to do something similar as this will be an indoor range toy and plinker (if I ever found anywhere to plink around here).
Old 03-27-2014, 9:51 AM

if I were to buy one more gun for my collection, this would be it!
Old 03-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

I put on a rail and red dot scope with a laser. Sighted it in and all I can say is WOW! What a fun weapon. I think it's perfect for home defense. So far I have 500 rounds through it and have had zero FTE or FTF.

Triple
Old 03-27-2014, 1:04 PM

Quote:
I put on a rail and red dot scope with a laser. Sighted it in and all I can say is WOW! What a fun weapon. I think it's perfect for home defense. So far I have 500 rounds through it and have had zero FTE or FTF.

Triple
Nice one Triple - try to post a pic when you can!
Old 03-27-2014, 1:20 PM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

Quick phone photo.

Old 04-01-2014, 9:57 PM

i have the exact same setup! im wondering how to convert it to FA
Old 04-02-2014, 6:59 AM
Triple Your Pleasure
CGN Contributor

All you do is add a thing a ma jigger and remove the what you ma call it. But that wouldn't be legal as far as I know.

Last edited by TripleThreat; 04-09-2014 at 11:19 AM..
Old 04-02-2014, 7:19 AM
Veteran Member

So in general...would you guys say stay away from the GSG MP5?
Old 04-02-2014, 8:31 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt01 View Post
i did mainly because it looked hard to clean and i didnt like the lower receiver part. id pay more just for the HK
Old 04-02-2014, 8:54 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt01 View Post
I've had both and the Umarex/HK one is built better than any version of the GSG. Plus the Umarex one is officialy licensed by HK
Old 04-02-2014, 4:14 PM

I finally got to shoot my MP5-A5 this past weekend. Started off with 100rds of CCI Mini Mags then shot about 200rds of Rem Thunderbolts. Zero failures and ran flawless! This thing is a blast to shoot!

My MP5-A5 (left) and my buddy's MP5-SD (right). He had a few FTFs with the Thunderbolts.

Far left target is my PA 30mm classic red dot zero'd at 15 yards... not bad. Very happy with my purchase!

Last edited by 65MustangCoupe; 04-02-2014 at 5:40 PM..
Old 04-09-2014, 9:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MustangCoupe View Post
Far left target is my PA 30mm classic red dot zero'd at 15 yards... not bad. Very happy with my purchase!

Is that bench rested or freehand? Finally got mine out to the range and let's just say that my groups were less than impressive freehand using the iron sights. This pistol shooter definitely has some work to do! Thought that the irons would be sufficient but I think that I'm gonna end up getting a dot.
Old 04-09-2014, 1:22 PM

Quote:
Is that bench rested or freehand? Finally got mine out to the range and let's just say that my groups were less than impressive freehand using the iron sights. This pistol shooter definitely has some work to do! Thought that the irons would be sufficient but I think that I'm gonna end up getting a dot.
The last group on the left was with the mag rested on the bench thru the red dot. I'm not the greatest either when it comes to freehand with irons. Decent enough groups though.