Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 10-25-2020, 6:08 PM

Default How much to get started in SASS?

Watched a match in Manteca today and got talking to some of the competitors. Looked like a good time. I have shot USPSA Production class and it was not that much to compete. I think I had under $800 into it intitially.

My WAG is that SASS would run over $2000. Probably close $3000 once you include leather and clothes.

Any suggestions?
Old 10-25-2020, 6:58 PM
CGSSA OC Chapter Leader

You're on the right track. I think there are youtube vids on it. You will need two 6 guns, a carbine, and a shotgun all time period correct. And a TON of clothes, and what appears to be a modified homeless shopping cart to schlepp them all from stage to stage. Did I mention the clothes?

AND reloading set up to make the pretend ammunition and wax bullets etc. etc.
Old 10-25-2020, 7:03 PM

2 revolvers, double barrel or Winchester 97 or clone shotgun and leveraction rifle if you don't have any of them to start. Plain jeans and a long sleeved workshirt or henley shirt will get you started. A couple of leather holsters on a plain leather work belt. The clothing requirements is the biggest misconception out there among the general public. You do not have to wear an outfit like Quigley down under or Roy Rogers. You can if you want to. It's not reenacting or historically correct. Talk to the shooters at Manteca. They will help you. As far as prices with the current situation everything is higher then normal.
Old 10-25-2020, 7:15 PM

Wax bullets are used in cowboy fastdraw. That is not SASS. Many do shoot very light loads. Others shoot full cases of blackpowder. All with lead bullets. You can use Colt/clones or Rugers. Rifles are Winchester or Italian clone 1873, 1866. Marlin 1894. Some Winchester or Rossi 1892s. Henry Big Boys are ok. Not strictly period correct. Any double barrel shotgun without ejectors. No tennis shoe or baseball caps shorts or t shirts.
Old 10-26-2020, 7:32 AM

I spoke to several members and one of them let me shoot one of his revolvers and his rifle. I could see this being fun and the matches are close to home.

I spoke to one member who has a worked over 66 for sale. I think if I searched long enough I could find most of what I need used. Not sure the 66 is what I want, need to look into it further.

The next match is the first Saturday of the month so I may go and this time I will wear a long sleeve shirt, jeans, and boots.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:32 AM

Gary13. The 66 and 73 rifles function the same but the drop on the stock is different with most liking the 73 better. I shoot Marlins. You can go whole hog on fancy carved leather, chaps, vests, roping cuffs, period looking shirts and trousers but again, that is not required. Many do enjoy that aspect. Many people have preconceived ideas about SASS, IDPA, USPSA and other shooting sports without ever having paticipated. They often refuse to believe anything other then their own preconceptions. To learn about any of the matches the best way is to go to the actual matches and talk to the people. Also there are a lot of outlaw matches who follow most of an organizations rules but have some rules of their own. Someone will go to one of these believing it is an actual sanctioned match (IDPA for example) then later they'll argue about IDPA rules when they in reality have never been to an IDPA match.