Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 10-05-2020, 8:00 PM

Default 2020 Top Gun Championship

I competed in the 2020 Top Gun Championship presented by Titan Ballistics this past weekend in the outdoor oven known as Tulare. I don't shoot at Rankin Field often (mostly level 2's and a "travel match" once or twice per year), but my little saying for it is "To win at Rankin Field, you have to win against Rankin Field". Both days that I shot saw highs in the 90's. The dust was remarkably under control this time. The gravel was decent, but there were a few pockets in predictable locations.

If you were in a low-cap division it turned out to be a reloadfest compared to Open (I think they had 2 or 3 reloads for the entire match). I respect that they resisted the temptation to push all of the stages to 32 rounds.

I prepped a bit more for this match than I did for the Roadrunner back in June--I honestly shot like 3 matches for "practice" and just went for it at the Roadrunner.

I still can't catch the dude at the top. He's been on a roll at Level 2's this year.

Here's the match footage in the order I shot them in (Squad 12).

Stage 1 was thrown out due to inconsistencies in scoring. That helped me out in the long run as I misjudged that stage.

Feel free to leave your thoughts, feedback, criticisms. I know I found several places where I messed up.

Did anyone else shoot it? What did you think?

They're planning on running it again next year.

Last edited by Rez805; 10-06-2020 at 7:22 PM..
Old 10-05-2020, 8:27 PM

Nice shooting man. I wasn't able to make it. Wanted to shoot it. Would have been my 1st level 2. Gonna shoot it next year for sure. Five of the guys I shoot with shot this match. They had good things to say. I've only seen video from the guys that shoot hi-cap so it was nice to see the stages ran by someone in Production. You were not kidding when you said it was a reload fest. I notice this is more the case now that CO is gaining popularity. No matter, I love Production and don't mind the reloads.

I'm a B class shooter. This is my 2nd year shooting USPSA and only been shooting guns for about 4years. I want to get some level 2 match experience under my belt. Next year for sure. Again, great shooting. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2020, 8:48 PM
Calguns Addict

I think my video player was stuck on double-speed!

Great shooting!
M&P 15 (Mine)
Old 10-05-2020, 10:38 PM

Swinging tuxedos is something I’m going to have to work on.
I hated swingers in the past, and never took a day out just to shoot them until I got the feel.
Those are showing up more often in matches guys I watch on YouTube have shot this year.

I really liked the stages I’ve watched, well thought out.
A lot of matches on the West coast this year look like the MDs have stepped up design....or just borrow what works instead of recycling a lot of tired stage ideas.

I should start shooting pistol again.
Old 10-06-2020, 5:12 AM

My first time at Rankin Field. Conditions were better than I expected, heat not so bad (I usually shoot at Pala and Prado). Giant fans were a big help though rather loud! Lots of cart traffic and some steep climbs.
I liked all the stages except ten and seven which were more physical challenges than shooting challenges for old beat up knees.
Stage one was one of my better ones, wish it was left in but I suspect inexperienced ROs there contributed to it being thrown out.
Overall I think it was well run, my squad did not hit any big waits, lots of water available and no reshoots due to equipment failure (at least for my squad).
I’m looking forward to future Level 2 matches there, it’s a much easier drive from SoCal than to Richmond or Sacramento. Wonder if Golden Bullet could rotate to Rankin Field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come out and SHOOT with us!

http://www.lineadefuego.info/matches
Old 10-06-2020, 8:55 AM

This was my second year shooting TopGun. This year was much cooler than last year (weather wise). The stages were great. I like seeing matches create shooting challenges without have to be 32 rounds every stage. The tux swinger was a challenge along with the low port. I ended up shooting my optic looking through the wall since I couldn't get low enough. Cost me a Mike there. I just wish there was a way to shoot a little more on Saturday. Shooting 8 stages was pretty easy even with over 90 min break for lunch. Losing stage 1 was a bummer. I smoked it, but I guess there was some issue with NPM's. I don't know why anyone shot the swinger there. A bunch of guys did the math, and getting 3 more alpha's only increased the HF by .02 All in all a good match and much better than Golden Bullet. So far this year, I think RoadRunner was the best level 2 I shot.
Old 10-06-2020, 10:38 AM

I had a good time until I rolled my ankle on 2 going into the steel position. Luckily that was my second day so only three stages were impacted.

Heat was not bad (home range is in the central valley so low 90's was kind of pleasant for once) but the fans are so loud!

I liked most of the stages, much better as-built versus what they looked like in the matchbook. They were definitely hi-cap friendly unless you are quick on the reloads on several of them.

This match reaffirmed my inability to call shots. Too many mikes and deltas for me.
Old 10-06-2020, 11:11 AM

one other thought. I think all level 2's should be giving out jersey type shirts (like RoadRunner did) rather than a tee shirt. Also, unless you win something from the raffle, it is a lot of money for a 10 or 12 stage match. Heck, GB didn't even provide lunch.
Old 10-06-2020, 4:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouscuban View Post
Nice shooting man. I wasn't able to make it. Wanted to shoot it. Would have been my 1st level 2. Gonna shoot it next year for sure. Five of the guys I shoot with shot this match. They had good things to say. I've only seen video from the guys that shoot hi-cap so it was nice to see the stages ran by someone in Production. You were not kidding when you said it was a reload fest. I notice this is more the case now that CO is gaining popularity. No matter, I love Production and don't mind the reloads.

I'm a B class shooter. This is my 2nd year shooting USPSA and only been shooting guns for about 4years. I want to get some level 2 match experience under my belt. Next year for sure. Again, great shooting. Very inspiring. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Thanks! Yes, Level 2's can be a lot fun. I suppose it depends on the individual, but I've always felt that there's a different "atmosphere" compared to a local. It could be part of the "mental" aspect of the game so some might not be affected by it. I know my heart was pounding on the first stage. Hope you can make it next year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDJYo View Post
I think my video player was stuck on double-speed!

Great shooting!
LOL thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothingextra View Post
Swinging tuxedos is something I’m going to have to work on.
I hated swingers in the past, and never took a day out just to shoot them until I got the feel.
Those are showing up more often in matches guys I watch on YouTube have shot this year.

I really liked the stages I’ve watched, well thought out.
A lot of matches on the West coast this year look like the MDs have stepped up design....or just borrow what works instead of recycling a lot of tired stage ideas.

I should start shooting pistol again.
Yes, that swinging tuxedo got a lot of people. The guy recording me noted that on the first pass both of my shots were in the black--I basically gave that target nipples . I couldn't tell so I decided to take a couple more in the next pass. Ended up with 2 A's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaLarry View Post
My first time at Rankin Field. Conditions were better than I expected, heat not so bad (I usually shoot at Pala and Prado). Giant fans were a big help though rather loud! Lots of cart traffic and some steep climbs.
I liked all the stages except ten and seven which were more physical challenges than shooting challenges for old beat up knees.
Stage one was one of my better ones, wish it was left in but I suspect inexperienced ROs there contributed to it being thrown out.
Overall I think it was well run, my squad did not hit any big waits, lots of water available and no reshoots due to equipment failure (at least for my squad).
I’m looking forward to future Level 2 matches there, it’s a much easier drive from SoCal than to Richmond or Sacramento. Wonder if Golden Bullet could rotate to Rankin Field?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, I'm from the coast and usually wouldn't run into that type of heat at this time of the year, but we had a heatwave with temps in the upper 90's. This actually drove me to head to Tulare on Friday since my town doesn't seem to believe in Air Conditioning. I can't imagine trying to sleep in an 80 degree room then waking up at 4AM to drive out. That extra night at the hotel was clutch.

Technically, the Golden Bullet is the Section Championship for the Northern California Section, so the farthest south is probably Richmond--which will be hosting it in 2021 with their new bays.

I think that since the section lines have been redrawn it would be awesome if there could be a rotating state championship or a "Triple Crown" kind of thing. Each section has ranges and staff that are capable of running a solid level 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
This was my second year shooting TopGun. This year was much cooler than last year (weather wise). The stages were great. I like seeing matches create shooting challenges without have to be 32 rounds every stage. The tux swinger was a challenge along with the low port. I ended up shooting my optic looking through the wall since I couldn't get low enough. Cost me a Mike there. I just wish there was a way to shoot a little more on Saturday. Shooting 8 stages was pretty easy even with over 90 min break for lunch. Losing stage 1 was a bummer. I smoked it, but I guess there was some issue with NPM's. I don't know why anyone shot the swinger there. A bunch of guys did the math, and getting 3 more alpha's only increased the HF by .02 All in all a good match and much better than Golden Bullet. So far this year, I think RoadRunner was the best level 2 I shot.
Oh yeah, I recall the heat from last year.

It's funny, one of my buddies only shot two stages on day 2 because Stage 1 was tossed out and he also had the chrono stage. He was done at 10:30.

I was on squad 12 and was the only low cap shooter. I felt that it kind of made sense to go for the disappearing target given that I had to do a reload anyway. The hazard, of course, is that Delta's get you very little. I checked the scores when they were still up and a lot of the production shooters who were close to the top for Stage 1 tried to take shots at the disappearing target.

With respect to the Roadrunner, the really neat thing was that the Cowboy Range allowed us to set up stages in their bays. Damn nice jerseys, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadside View Post
I had a good time until I rolled my ankle on 2 going into the steel position. Luckily that was my second day so only three stages were impacted.

Heat was not bad (home range is in the central valley so low 90's was kind of pleasant for once) but the fans are so loud!

I liked most of the stages, much better as-built versus what they looked like in the matchbook. They were definitely hi-cap friendly unless you are quick on the reloads on several of them.

This match reaffirmed my inability to call shots. Too many mikes and deltas for me.
Dang! Sorry to hear about your ankle. That bay does have a bit of a slope that can be a bit hard to notice until you're running around. I, too had quite a few deltas and way too many "Alphas the hard way" with no compelling reason to go for the upper A zone. I'm talking about full value targets LOL.

Quote:
one other thought. I think all level 2's should be giving out jersey type shirts (like RoadRunner did) rather than a tee shirt. Also, unless you win something from the raffle, it is a lot of money for a 10 or 12 stage match. Heck, GB didn't even provide lunch.
Yeah, those Roadrunner Jerseys were nice. I'm not sure about how much it would cost to do that for a full match, but that might have been part of the reasoning.

Last edited by Rez805; 10-06-2020 at 4:26 PM..
Old 10-07-2020, 5:03 AM

Yeah, those Roadrunner Jerseys were nice. I'm not sure about how much it would cost to do that for a full match, but that might have been part of the reasoning.[/QUOTE]

I don't think the price difference was too much different between RoadRunner and TopGun. If you remember from last year, TopGun gave jersey's to the staff and then offered them to shooters for an additional cost. It was a cluster to actually get the jersey if you didn't staff. If you think about it from a marketing point to view, how many of those RoadRunner jersey's did you see at GB or at TG or even at locals. The match is getting advertised and all the sponsors. I think it just depends on what the MD wants to spend the revenue on.
Old 10-07-2020, 5:56 AM

Good point. I'm seeing those Roadrunner jerseys everywhere. A lot of people at my range wear them at locals and majors.
Old 10-07-2020, 9:58 AM

The tuxedo swinging target was the one I was kinda concerned about because of the speed of the thing. Had to break the shot in the hard cover to hit the "A" zone. I got my two "A"'s then on another stage I got a miss on a wide open long distance target...oh well.

I will shoot this match again....Good stages, well planned out, lots of water, friendly RO's, and our squad was great!! I shot Production, but single stack might be in order next year.
Old 10-07-2020, 1:51 PM

Wow. Good shooting, OP!

Being new to shooting, I didn’t know what to expect and was definitely nervous going in. The first 2 stages, I couldn’t stop shaking. Lol. I’m a C Limited shooter and shot Friday.

Overall, I felt I did good, considering I’ve only done 12 local club matches going in. In the end, my time was 207s with 204A/46C/1D/4M. I did finish 1st among Limited C shooters, but midpack compared to overall Limited shooters. I did horrible with steel, which certainly cost me a ton of time.

Stage 1 being thrown out did hurt my overall standing, but still would’ve been midpack overall. My HF was in the 10s; being a C shooter, this felt great, as I was ecstatic hitting all As on this stage.

I’ve only done local 5-6 stage matches, so shooting 11 stages in a day was exhausting. After lunch, it was hard to stay focused, but looking at my scores, there was no discernible difference in my performance compared to the stages I completed in the AM.

Moving forward, my low lying fruits include exiting shooting positions right away (I still have the tendency to confirm my hits), slow down on steel and to hit the brakes sooner entering shooting positions (a few times I had to step back).

I had a blast, though, and plan to shoot this match in the future.
Old 10-07-2020, 1:58 PM

How's the ammo situation affecting attendance at these events?
Old 10-07-2020, 3:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob View Post
The tuxedo swinging target was the one I was kinda concerned about because of the speed of the thing. Had to break the shot in the hard cover to hit the "A" zone. I got my two "A"'s then on another stage I got a miss on a wide open long distance target...oh well.

I will shoot this match again....Good stages, well planned out, lots of water, friendly RO's, and our squad was great!! I shot Production, but single stack might be in order next year.
Yes, I think that swinging tuxedo made a lot of people think of taking two passes. I'm glad I did because my first two shots were in the black.

I'm glad they didn't push all of the stages to 32 . . . then again, it kinda made the match a reload fest for low-cap divisions. I was on a squad with Open, Carry Optics, and PCC shooters. The stage with the swinging tuxedo I decided to take an open target before moving to the port to eliminate a reload. There was quite a bit of going to 10 rounds in this match for me.

One other thing that I just thought about was the way that they handled check-in. I think at the last major there (either the last Top Gun or Gunsta Cup IV) they did the standard check-in table. A single check-in table can become pretty miserable. Definitely a fan of having the check-in at the first stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rg422 View Post
Wow. Good shooting, OP!

Being new to shooting, I didn’t know what to expect and was definitely nervous going in. The first 2 stages, I couldn’t stop shaking. Lol. I’m a C Limited shooter and shot Friday.

Overall, I felt I did good, considering I’ve only done 12 local club matches going in. In the end, my time was 207s with 204A/46C/1D/4M. I did finish 1st among Limited C shooters, but midpack compared to overall Limited shooters. I did horrible with steel, which certainly cost me a ton of time.

Stage 1 being thrown out did hurt my overall standing, but still would’ve been midpack overall. My HF was in the 10s; being a C shooter, this felt great, as I was ecstatic hitting all As on this stage.

I’ve only done local 5-6 stage matches, so shooting 11 stages in a day was exhausting. After lunch, it was hard to stay focused, but looking at my scores, there was no discernible difference in my performance compared to the stages I completed in the AM.

Moving forward, my low lying fruits include exiting shooting positions right away (I still have the tendency to confirm my hits), slow down on steel and to hit the brakes sooner entering shooting positions (a few times I had to step back).

I had a blast, though, and plan to shoot this match in the future.
Thanks! I still couldn't catch the top production guy, but I was a bit closer than at the Roadrunner LOL.

This is year 5 for me and I still get nervous on the first stage at a Major. Some of that is mental since I was chasing someone. Still, I don't feel bad coming in second to him. We were on different squads so it wasn't easy to "keep track" of how he was doing. So, I just defaulted to: "He's crushing you" (which he did). But the key thing I had to keep reminding myself about was that no matter how often I checked Practiscore, I had no control over how he (or anyone else) shoots. All I can control is what I do.

Another thing that tends to help is squadding with people you know.

Indeed, doing things more immediately (transition to a target or out of a position) is a great way to reduce your time. Especially at Rankin where there were a lot of close targets. I think people sometimes underestimate how quickly they can shoot something within 7 yards.

Your hits (outside of the Mikes, of course) look pretty solid for Major Power Factor. I agree, going one for one on steel can be a bit challenging given the relatively close distances. It's very tempting to try to take a quick shot since in your mind you might be thinking "how can I miss?". That happened to me on Stage 12 and Stage 5. On Stage 12 I tried to get fancy and hit the back steel then the front steel. That didn't work out too well for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKAllTheThings View Post
How's the ammo situation affecting attendance at these events?
As a reloader, it didn't really affect me. I have a decent enough stash (in my mind, anyway) of primers. That seems to be the tough thing to acquire. Most of the people I shoot with reload--especially the Open shooters since not too many companies offer a Major Power Factor Load in 9mm.

I'm pretty sure the match sold out and I'm not sure how many "no-shows" there were. But it looked pretty full on a squad level (maybe 14-16 people on a squad).

Last edited by Rez805; 10-07-2020 at 3:59 PM..
Old 10-08-2020, 8:48 AM

The top production guy, the top limited guy, and the 3rd place CO guy were in my squad. Needless to say, I got a ton of help on stage planning.... I have shot with all these guys before, and have to say, they all shot pretty solid. To hang in there with any of those guys is good shooting. OP, those couple of deltas and a few seconds look like it made the difference.
Old 10-08-2020, 8:02 PM

Quote:
The top production guy, the top limited guy, and the 3rd place CO guy were in my squad. Needless to say, I got a ton of help on stage planning.... I have shot with all these guys before, and have to say, they all shot pretty solid. To hang in there with any of those guys is good shooting. OP, those couple of deltas and a few seconds look like it made the difference.
Nice! I was right behind you on squad 12. I was squadded with a bunch of solid Open and PCC shooters so it wasn't as helpful with respect to stage plans LOL.

I'm in the minority when I say that I'm glad Stage 1 was thrown out. I think I had 3 or 4 Deltas on that one. That would have hurt.

On the plus side I was able see some places that really hurt with respect to time. Stage 12 (my first stage) I missed the very first reload and needed extra shots on steel. I also had a couple of "Alphas the hard way" that made no sense. I also had issues with steel and the final reload on stage 5 and the steel on stage 2. Overall movement and "immediateness" was okay, but the excess shots and excess time needed to reload probably made the bulk of the time gap.
Old 10-09-2020, 6:37 AM

I shoot with most of those guys twice a month, so used to having them eat my lunch. But also learning a ton, when I can get out of my head and just absorb it all. It's hard to not get stupid and try and shoot that fast when the skill set is not the same. It's a lot of fun until you finish and right after you hear the time, you start to hear, Alpha Delta, Alpha Mike, 2 Charlies... if you get my drift...LOL
Old 10-11-2020, 8:04 AM

It's a lot of fun going to level 2 or above matches. I've never been to national but usually go to 4-5 bigger matches each year. Shot Top Gun last year. You see an overall higher level of shooting and some world champs. But of course there are shooters with all the classifications. I've done enough that wherever I shoot on the west coast or Nevada and Arizona I'll see people I know and have shot with. Plus the ranges may have somewhat different stages then your local match. It costs more to go to them but I'm retired and they are
a vacation for me. My wife is glad that I have a hobbie that I enjoy so I'm not just sitting around. She has shot with me but doesn't go to the big matches.

I'm not shooting right now, caring for my mom at our house.
Old 10-13-2020, 8:23 AM

Quote:
I shoot with most of those guys twice a month, so used to having them eat my lunch. But also learning a ton, when I can get out of my head and just absorb it all. It's hard to not get stupid and try and shoot that fast when the skill set is not the same. It's a lot of fun until you finish and right after you hear the time, you start to hear, Alpha Delta, Alpha Mike, 2 Charlies... if you get my drift...LOL
Absolutely. We all come to realize that you have to "shoot your own game", but when you're squadded with people who you feel are at a higher level, it's very easy to want to push your limits. Sometimes that can be helpful; just seeing that you're capable of doing something at their level. The next step is to work towards making that the "normal".

Of course, most would argue that you should test your limits in a practice environment so you can be more consistent. After all, you only get one shot at a stage (barring some sort of REF or RO interference). My range doesn't have open practice days. I wonder how much better off I would be if our range offered practice sessions. So, I fall in that category of shooters who say "matches are my practice".

I actually just watched Tyler's match footage. Crazy to think that he still crushed everyone even with a couple of mistakes (I think I saw a slide lock reload and a weird reload on a different stage).

It will be interesting to see what he does at Area 2 in a few weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SG29736 View Post
It's a lot of fun going to level 2 or above matches. I've never been to national but usually go to 4-5 bigger matches each year. Shot Top Gun last year. You see an overall higher level of shooting and some world champs. But of course there are shooters with all the classifications. I've done enough that wherever I shoot on the west coast or Nevada and Arizona I'll see people I know and have shot with. Plus the ranges may have somewhat different stages then your local match. It costs more to go to them but I'm retired and they are
a vacation for me. My wife is glad that I have a hobbie that I enjoy so I'm not just sitting around. She has shot with me but doesn't go to the big matches.

I'm not shooting right now, caring for my mom at our house.
Family first, of course!

And yes, it's always fun to see match buddies. I met this year's 3rd place CO guy at last year's Top Gun. We all thought he was crazy to drive in from Colorado in one day, catch a few hours of sleep, then shoot the match. He's in CA now so at least he didn't have to worry about a ridiculous amount travel this time around.

The stage designs are also interesting to see and one of the reasons I like to go to an "away match" (a local at different range in the section) at least once per year. For example, my range's build crew does really well with symmetry stages. Almost to the point where they're boring. So, we'll also take back some of the things we see at majors/other ranges and try to incorporate them.

The stage designs were solid considering the bay limitations at Rankin Field (Hesco walls). Of course, there were a couple of sections that looked pretty torn up and might need to be replaced soon.
Old 10-13-2020, 11:42 PM
I need a LIFE!!

What kind of class is that where you have to reload so much? It's almost like a revolver.
Old 10-14-2020, 6:27 AM

Production is life.

Seriously, though. It was fun being the low cap guy on a squad with Open and PCC shooters. With the stage round counts rarely going above 30 the Open shooters with big sticks only had one or two reloads for the entire match.

On a funny revolver note: there was a payout for the division winners at this match. The sole revolver shooter got paid. Easy money for him.