Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-06-2020, 8:57 AM

Default Which Gun

So I may have the opportunity to add a new USPSA production / CO gun to my safe. I like both of these guns but want some additional info from all my smart calguns friends. I realize that for either of these to add the optic I am going to have to mill the slide or use the dovetail mount. Before that happens, I am going to shoot in production or limited minor.

CZ 75 SP01 Bull Shadow with the CGW pro kit installed (and some misc extras) or a Tanfoglio Limited Extreme with all the stuff from the factory. Both 9mm. Both about the same price.

For those who have either, how do you like? What upgrades are going to be needed? What breaks and needs replacement?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-06-2020, 9:49 AM
I need a LIFE!!

That Tanfoglio model is not on the production list. The list is here... Most Tanfoglios that have "Limited" in the name are single-action guns that are used in Limited division.

Short of that, Tanfoglios are great guns, but you don't have many gunsmiths that work on them and parts are not easy to find. I shot Tanfoglio Stainless Limited Elite for almost two years in L10, until I decided to move on to 2011 (SVI). There were some issues I had, mostly with sights. I learned how to use Loctite. Other than that, it was a good and reliable gun.

In your case, Bull Shadow is the only option for Production/CO. It's also a great gun. All the rage currently is Shadow 2, but it's not on the Roster so us poor saps in CA are out of luck. SP-01 is a great gun and you can't go wrong with it.

Last edited by IVC; 08-06-2020 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: range vs. rage - typo
Old 08-06-2020, 10:36 AM
Veteran Member

If you're getting a killer deal, and competition in Prod / CO is the entire point, yeah, the SP-01 is the only choice among the two. I've run an SP-01 AccuShadow for 6 years now, never had a problem, although I do plenty of preventative maintenance.

But as IVC mentioned, other guns are greatly preferred, esp if you have some means of obtaining off-roster guns. Even on-roster, a G34 is probably just as well-regarded for competition in either of the two divisions you mentioned, and the price might be right.
Old 08-06-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVC View Post
That Tanfoglio model is not on the production list. The list is here... Most Tanfoglios that have "Limited" in the name are single-action guns that are used in Limited division.

Short of that, Tanfoglios are great guns, but you don't have many gunsmiths that work on them and parts are not easy to find. I shot Tanfoglio Stainless Limited Elite for almost two years in L10, until I decided to move on to 2011 (SVI). There were some issues I had, mostly with sights. I learned how to use Loctite. Other than that, it was a good and reliable gun.

In your case, Bull Shadow is the only option for Production/CO. It's also a great gun. All the range currently is Shadow 2, but it's not on the Roster so us poor saps in CA are out of luck. SP-01 is a great gun and you can't go wrong with it.
Thanks IVC. I looked previously and saw the Tanfo Limited Pro and the Witness Limited Pro on the list. Was not sure if the limited custom (extreme) as some other variation.

Either gun would be a ppt so no roster issues. The Tanfo is just about list price, the CZ has the CA mark-up....
Old 08-06-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrrracer View Post
If you're getting a killer deal, and competition in Prod / CO is the entire point, yeah, the SP-01 is the only choice among the two. I've run an SP-01 AccuShadow for 6 years now, never had a problem, although I do plenty of preventative maintenance.

But as IVC mentioned, other guns are greatly preferred, esp if you have some means of obtaining off-roster guns. Even on-roster, a G34 is probably just as well-regarded for competition in either of the two divisions you mentioned, and the price might be right.
Speed if you had a choice between the bull shadow and the accushadow, which one? I thought the bull was a little more accurate OTB because of the barrel? I am shooting a M&P pro CORE in CO, so any gun is going to be better...
Old 08-06-2020, 2:46 PM
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthBay Shooter View Post
Speed if you had a choice between the bull shadow and the accushadow, which one? I thought the bull was a little more accurate OTB because of the barrel? I am shooting a M&P pro CORE in CO, so any gun is going to be better...
So with those 2 guns, I've noticed two absolutes (for me, everyone takes to a gun differently): the Accu always shoots more accurately, and the sights on the bull always settle a bit more quickly.

If the choice involved an AccuShadow gen 1, then I'd choose the bull shadow. No need to shoot the wings off flies in practical pistol competition.

However, if it's an AccuShadow 2, then it's a different story. The great improvements made on the Shadow 2 plus the insane accuracy from the bushing makes an epic practical pistol platform, and I would go that way, even with the slightly more settled sights of the bull. The 2 just has too much to offer, for me at least. I get a much higher quality grip, which is really the foundation for everything, so until the bull gets the undercut improvements and etc, it's AccuShadow 2 all the way to the bank.

The only CZ I like better is the A01-LD. Still a personal preference thing, there are guys who think otherwise, which is why I always say you have to shoot them all and see what gels with you, but the A01-LD is tops for me in the CZ line, so if you can, give it a chance, too.
Old 08-07-2020, 9:15 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys. Both these deals fell apart, so until I can find something else, gotta keep shooting the M&P. I know the gun is not holding me back, but the new shinny thing always makes life better...
Old 08-07-2020, 9:30 PM

Spend less on guns more on training. Robert Vogel,Shane Coley smash with a stock glock