Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 06-10-2020, 5:59 PM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Default Direct Action Group (DAG) - Pistol 1 & 2, After Action Report (AAR)

Course Name: Tactical Pistol 1 & 2
Dates/Times: June 6~7, 2020 8:30am~4:30pm
Round Count: Pistol 1: 175 / Pistol 2: 264 - DAG designed the curriculum to use not more than 300-rds per day. It simply becomes counter-productive past that - becoming a waste of brass. I know this is the same stance Larry Vickers takes in his classes.
Cost: $225 x 2 = $450
Prerequisites None

Instructor: Max Joseph. Profile video (from Maxpedition): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vtkeCgeIcg
DAG Homepage: https://dag-usa.com/
Link in CalGuns: Excellent Tactical handgun classes for new gun owners in So Calif area...this weekend

Handgun + Holster:
  • Day 1 - Glock 19 Gen 3 - Trijicon HD XR, Talon Grips (Rubber), $0.25 Trigger Job, Glock OEM Minus Connector, Glock SCD + Comp-Tac International Holster (Belt)
  • Day 2 - Glock 34 Gen 3 - Dawson Precision FO Competition Sights, Talon Grip (Granulate), ISMI Stainless Steel Guide Rod with 13# spring, $0.25 Trigger Job, Glock OEM Minus Connector + Safariland 5197 Open Top Holster (Belt)
Ammo: Sellier & Bellot 115GR (factory)

Reviewer Background: 4-years of handgun experience (as of this month). Defensive pistol practitioner and competition shooting hobbyist (IDPA/USPSA). Have taken several classes that are specific to either competition or tactical/defensive. No MIL/LE credentials; just a simple 'corporate slave'.

I did not have any plans going into Saturday, maybe just stay at home and binge watch on Netflix and/or at least try to finish the many books I wanted to read during #COVID19. But when I saw @OCEquestrian post on a handgun class from a school that he highly recommends - I think it became a spur of the moment decision.

Unlike other courses that I have taken from other schools, it is NOT a 2-day class, but a 1-day that can be taken separately or right after the other. I, myself, didn't actually sign-up for Tactical Pistol 2 because of Sunday plans. But after having gone through the first course, I had to convince my other "boss" that I had to be out on Sunday, as well. That, too, was a good decision - making for a productive and rewarding weekend.

Now, although the DAG website shows hardened operators and the courses are prefixed with "Tactical;" Pistols 1 & 2 are nothing close to a "Tacti-Cool" Super Mall Ninja Operator or something class... Experienced and knowledgeable instructors, both professional and helpful, rounded off with friendly and easy going students from various walks of life made for a very unintimidating experience.

There were about 15+ on the first day. Four were experienced shooters (three were recurring students of DAG for several years + me) and the rest were mostly new gun owners or novices. On the second day, there were only 5-students (which I would mostly attribute to a 'last minute' thing with everyone coming out of 'quarantine'). Two where new gun owners from the prior day's class, and the remaining three were experienced (two DAG veterans + me). I would believe that the DAG veterans from both days are active MIL/LE.

Each day's lessons are driven from the course's objectives:

Tactical Pistol 1
  1. Safety
  2. Tactical Presentations
  3. Stationary Turns
  4. Tactical Reloading
  5. Kneeling Fire
  6. Steel Shooting
  7. Multiple targets/transitions
  8. Use of Cover
  9. Scored Evaluation
  10. Course of Fire ("man-on-man")

Tactical Pistol 2
  1. Warm-Up using the Scored Evaluation from Tactical Pistol 1
  2. Slow and quick-fire from 25-yards
  3. Speed Reloading
  4. Casualty Arm Fire
  5. Multiple targets/transitions
  6. Stoppage and Malfunction Drills (using both 2-hands and strong-hand only)
  7. Scored Evaluation
  8. Course of Fire ("man-on-man")

DAG is fairly structured. They introduce you to the lessons for the day in a lecture setting at the BEGINNING of class (yes, there is an indoor classrooom). It is NOT all shooting - there is another class lecture midway (after lunch and before going back to drills) and a debrief at the end of the day. The instructor quizzes the students A LOT while encouraging copius note-taking. This is to prepare the students for the written portion of the Scored Evaluation for Tactical Pistol 3. My take? I see it more as a reinforcement of ideas, concepts and principles. That said - I like it this way. Shooting should NOT only be physical, but mental/academic. It builds a more well-rounded and competent shooter. Obviously, the extrene All talk and no walk is not good either is not desirable, as well...

That be said, in spite of the classroom lectures intersped in the day, it is still a very hands-on course. There were sufficient number of drill repetitions that, based on my observation, allows for even the new shooters to get into a fairly comfortable level of competency (on average, "Conscious Competence"). The two new shooters that remained for the second day were getting hits to around 150-yards out (no, this is NOT a typo)! These ladies could potentially give carbine shooters a run for their money in finding cover. They could now clear stoppages/malfunction (even a Type 3).

I would remember the ladies saying that they told their girlfriends of their experience in Pistol 1 and are looking to plan a "Ladies"-only class...

There even was a student in Pistol 1 who wanted to just work on the drills 'dry' because she was unsure of herself; but by the end of the day, you could see the confidence in her smile.

We ended teach day's lessons with a scored evaluation of the topics covered, before proceeding to the course of fire which is a friendly and fun "man-on-man" competition. We used steel targets for both days. Without any scoring zones, it was either a Hit or Miss, and you are scored solely on time. We then wrapped up with a classroom debrief and the mandatory administrative unload (DAG runs a 'hot range' - guns are loaded and holstered throughout the day).

What are my KEY take-aways?
  • A good sense of humor! "Why MIL/LE is some countries in Asia shoot the 1911 one-handed instead of two-handed?" "Because it is called handgun NOT handsgun..."
  • Emphasis on the proper defensive/tactical drawstroke! Similar to the Glock/GSSF class I took in February - contrast was made between a drawstroke for competition (get the gun up high as soon as possible) to one that is for defensive purposes (get the gun ready as soon as possible).
  • New insights for more defensive/tactical use cases, ie., "what are the reasons for taking a knee?" (pun). And I like it that DAG structures them in easy-to-digest bullet (pun) points!
  • It would seem that the arm most likely to get shot is the support-side arm 1-to-2.
  • Factors for handgun stopping power. A very common thread we get in CalGuns is on "What is the best caliber for home defense/self-defense?" The answer provided by actual gunfighters could potentially put these long threads to rest.
  • Use of armor - Although I have armor at home, in all honesty, never had taken a class with a vest before. DAG's rationale made perfect sense, "... you are shooting drills with people you don't know and of varying skill levels..." Oh - I had to rent from them as I only have rifle plates, and wasn't looking forward to any endurance training. Rental is $10 per day.
  • Taking me outside of my comfort zone - With the vest it was extremely difficult or annoying, depending on which drill we were working through, to present the pistol or to go for a reload. Good thing that I was made aware of this in class rather than in REAL life. Hence, will absolutely need to make some changes to my home defense/SHTF setup.
  • Targets - Instead of the usual fare of cardboard targets (rectangles, bullseye, etc.) - DAG uses realistic targets. I think no one can deny the fact that if ever we are to use our firearm, it is NOT against black & white targets, circles or rectangles, colorful triangles, balloons or zombie characters. Instead of learning how to aim in an "arbitrary" rectangle and/or circle shapes?
  • Reloading high - The instructors demonstrated with a couple of cases of two-man team tactics why the competition-style speed reloads (up high in the workspace, etc.) is not recommended.
  • Follow through on long range/precision targets. During the drills on the second day, I had self-identified a deficiency, most likely brought on by a scar when practicing in indoor ranges. I do not have good follow through for long range/precision targets. Since my practice with long-range is usually a one-shot attempt, I seem to artifially keep the pistol at the top of the recoil arc. I need to have the pistol return back and get a second sight picture.
  • Scored evaluation - It is always nice to end a class with a "quiz," on how good you perform on what was covered and what deficiencies will be needing work. I would remember a couple of years back in an advanced class from another school - there were a few students unable to clear a Type 3!?!

Why would an experienced shooter go to a foundational class? Although there are exceptions, I would believe that most of us are not above "basic"/"fundamentals" classes. Firearms is a very perishable skill. It is always good to go back to basics and review the fundamentals of a good marksman. Since the skills are more or less subconscious, it is now easy to give finer attention to trigger control, sight picture/alignment, grip and recoil management, presentation, etc. Now is the time to push the accuracy and speed envelope - smaller groups even at faster speeds.

Cost wise? This is not the cheapest out there, but compared to other SoCal-based schools that I have been to, $225 per day is on par, especially for the content. I even know of a cheaper school but it is NOTHING but a hose fest...!

From here on? As I would understand, since I had successfully (as per my evaluation score) completed both courses, I may now proceed to the next-level classes. Call of Duty stuff like tactics, shoot house, vehicle engagements and shooter diagnostics. Of course, this will require a new set of gear that is different from what I am used to in competition. I already made a list - Safe Life Defense tactical belt, G-Code magazine pouches, and a Safariland Level 2 ALS holster.

In closing?

DAG runs their Pistol 1 & 2 in a very structured manner, complementing the safe on-range demonstrations, dry fire and live fire drills with in-classroom lectures/quizzes. Instructors are knowledgeable and experienced in what they teach and how they teach. Having a scored evaluation at the end provides the students with a baseline indicator of "where they are right now and what they need to work on," etc. The lessons are comprehensive such the students leave with the fundamental tools needed to be competent in the safe and proper handling/use of their firearms (administrative, presentation, stoppages, etc.).

What's more - completing these courses opens up a horizon for more training that may someday save our lives, etc. Two-man team tactics? Do not think of SWAT operators, etc. - think of a husband & wife team fending off intruders, etc! Vehicle engagements? In this country, we get to Point A from Point B using an automobile, why not learn how to effectively operate around/through it? I definitely recommend DAG without reservation...

_

WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U

Last edited by rodralig; 06-10-2020 at 8:36 PM.. Reason: Clarification that "150-yards" was not a typo.
Old 06-18-2020, 11:33 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

I just received the class photo from the Lead Instructor Max Joseph, 2nd from the right, to share...

This is from the Pistol 1 class, with the two leftmost ladies continuing to Pistol 2, with one of them demonstrating capabilities to hit a steel silhouette target out to 150-yards.

_
Old 06-24-2020, 2:56 PM
Vendor/Retailer

Thanks for the thorough review, I'd like to take a DAG class, too. Max is the inventor of Sul as well.

T3Pros.com

Click here to be notified of upcoming courses.
Old 07-01-2020, 9:58 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3Pros View Post
Thanks for the thorough review, I'd like to take a DAG class, too. Max is the inventor of Sul as well.
Max has a couple of classes in August for 1 and 2 in Sacramento.

http://dag-usa.com/training-calendar/

Those that have been recommended to me by the veteran students are

http://dag-usa.com/courses/military-...ement-tactics/
https://dag-usa.com/courses/military...-team-tactics/
http://dag-usa.com/courses/special-e...rts-symposium/

According to DAG - he says that one has to go through 1 and 2 before being allowed to proceed with the next level classes. I would really want to go through 3 before heading to the Combat Arts Symposium, unfortunately, nothing in the calendar. Also, the Close Quarters Combat Pistol will be held in Sacramento rather than locally... *sigh*

That said, as mentioned in my AAR - there is a score evaluation in the end. Am sure you will ace these!!

_
Old 08-19-2020, 9:39 AM

Would this be too advance for a brand new gun owner? Why did you switch to G34 the 2nd day? Would you still use the 19 for the class 1 had you known what you know? (I have both too) TIA
I don't have any holster. What would you recommend for the gun and magazines?

Last edited by supa; 08-19-2020 at 9:42 AM..
Old 08-19-2020, 10:43 AM
Veteran Member
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa View Post
Would this be too advance for a brand new gun owner? Why did you switch to G34 the 2nd day? Would you still use the 19 for the class 1 had you known what you know? (I have both too) TIA
I switched out because I like running through my guns in different scenarios. My G19 is my home-defense/defensive/carry (outside California) pistol; my G34 is my competition pistol and one that I dry practice on a daily basis. There are slight nuances between the two pistols that it makes sense to under the Pros/Cons in classes, scenario training and competition.

To answer your questions:
  • Brand new gun owner is a "broad" term. Better yet, tell me what you know and/or have experience/done/learned so far, and I (or someone else) will give an honest assessment?
  • Holster/mag pouches for the Glocks? If you ask me a few years back, cost/performance-wise, my answer would be BladeTech. Now? I would go with Comp-Tac.

_

WEGC - Shooting at 10-yards VS 20-yards - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7mdbNZ4j9U
Old 08-19-2020, 1:26 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by supa View Post
Either gun would be good, I would say use the G19 and get a good kydex holster and double magazine holder. Stay away from the SERPA holsters. The single biggest gear shortfalls I see new shooters in a level I class struggle with are a piss poor belt system. Get a good solid 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch stiff leather belt or nylon riggers belt and wear pants with more than 4 belt loops..levi's/wranger jeans or BDU's.

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member

Last edited by OCEquestrian; 08-19-2020 at 1:31 PM..
Old 09-21-2020, 11:11 AM

great review. one of the best basic pistol courses anyone can take to feel safe and confident to move forward in the training world.
Old 11-17-2020, 5:51 PM
Calguns Addict

DAG is offering its tactical pistol level I and II this coming weekend Nov.21/22

https://dag-usa.com/training-calendar/

Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." ----Benjamin Franklin

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member
Old 11-17-2020, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCEquestrian View Post
DAG is offering its tactical pistol level I and II this coming weekend Nov.21/22

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't scroll down to see the rest of their schedule.
Old 11-19-2020, 4:55 PM
Calguns Addict

https://dag-usa.com/tactical-pistol-group/

Max Joseph (will be teaching the classes) is a professional LE/military trainer;

Founder/Director TFTT/Direct Action Group
Senior Instructor – Tactical Explosive Entry School USA/Brazil
Instructor U.S. Dept. of State Anti-Terrorism Program (20 Years)
Seven Years Marine Corps Reconnaissance Companies (SGT.)
Graduate USMC Scout Sniper Instructor School
US Army Ranger / Airborne
USN Survival / Evasion / Resistance / Escape School
BSR Anti – Terrorist Driving School
SPIE / Rappel Master Instructor
Reconnaissance Indoctrination Program Instructor
Diplomatic Security Consultant
Writer for several Military / Police Publications

NRA life member
SAF life member
CRPA member