Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Competition, Action Shooting And Training.
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Competition, Action Shooting And Training. Competition, Three gun, IPSC, IDPA , and Training discussion here.

Old 08-03-2020, 1:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Divehobo View Post
Hoser stages are a blast. I wish they had them at all matches. I've spoken with Manny about taking his monthly class but schedule does not seem to work out. I have a class with Threat Scenario next weekend and I've been talking with Steve Newell about taking Ben Stoeger class in end of Sept. Timing is bad for BS class as its the weekend before i leave for FrontSight and private advanced tactics class.

Can you PM me with anyone else who is running training at Richmond?
I didn't mean to imply only hoser stages. Short courses, speed shoots, etc are also a good validation of your position in the division.

I can't think of anyone else right now but you should just ask around at the next match. They are good folks there and they'd be happy to give you info.

I have shot with Manny and I know Stephen, either would be good to learn from. I think their styles are going to be very different and you should ask them about the things you feel you want to work on. Or think about squadding with one/both of them and see if they can do a basic assessment of your current skill set and see if they want to take you on as a student. I know Stephen does (or used to do) individual instruction in addition to classes. Not sure if Manny does or just groups.

For Stoeger, you need to kind of figure out where you are and decide if you want the fundamentals course or the skills and drills one. The way it sounds, fundamentals would be best as skills and drills is geared towards those that know what they need to work on.
Old 08-03-2020, 1:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rez805 View Post
For "sandbagging" on classifiers . . . . that can be tricky to talk about.

I've been accused of it when I was in C Class. Honestly, I didn't sandbag. I just suck at classifiers. I used to think it was because I placed too much emphasis on classification. Now I don't what to think since I'm stuck at 83 and can't seem to hook up on a classifier. I don't even need to think like a sandbagger (e.g., if I stay in this class I can get a trophy/medal because I'll be overmatched compared to others in that class). All I have to do is say the magic words and *poof* there goes that classifier / better luck next month / pony up $3 to reshoot and be accused of "buying your way to a classification".

The magic words?
"Treat it like a stage".

Anyways, there could be someone on the cusp of classing up. For example, if I'm at 83 and I didn't feel too good as I'm finishing a classifier (e.g., I worked out the math knowing that anything in 70's would count and lower my overall percentage) I could (not saying that I do/would do this) take a pickup shot to lower the score. This would prevent my 83 from dropping lower. In effect, I would be preserving the 83 with a "live to fight another day" kind of mentality. Again, not a fan of it and I'm not sure I've seen a bone fide sandbag move like that in person, but it's one of those things you'll hear about.
"Hero or zero" comes to mind once you start trying to get out of A or higher
Old 08-03-2020, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Anyone here that was on shot with me on Saturday have any advise? or anyone shoot match either day and have thoughts?
I shot the match. I'd need to see either a match video or a link to your results before I gave you any meaningful feedback.
Old 08-03-2020, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Hoser stages are a blast. I wish they had them at all matches. I've spoken with Manny about taking his monthly class but schedule does not seem to work out. I have a class with Threat Scenario next weekend and I've been talking with Steve Newell about taking Ben Stoeger class in end of Sept. Timing is bad for BS class as its the weekend before i leave for FrontSight and private advanced tactics class.

Can you PM me with anyone else who is running training at Richmond?
There are several guys at Richmond who are willing to help if you ask correctly. A bunch will even offer to train with you during the week or on Saturday during open practice. The key is to understand what you want to work on. If you are in the same squad, don't ask them about you when they are on deck or right after they get done and loading mags. Find a time during the stage when you can ask them to take a look. You can also ask almost anyone about stage plans. I think 90% of the good shooters at Richmond are very cool. Try and ask specific questions, like "do you think it's worth it to shoot that popper from position A or B?" rather than "how can I get better?" Asking specific questions will help you understand the though process and create more dialog.