Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > SPECIALTY FORUMS > Ladies Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ladies Forum A place for our female Calgunners to discuss, share and interact without the 'excess attention' sometimes found in online forums.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-25-2021, 1:47 PM
Snoopy47's Avatar
Snoopy47 Snoopy47 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,957
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default When men give you too much attention at a range

First of all, I am posting this for my spouse. She isn't one to troll on gun forums.

She and I are both "shooters", and we have two little ones (much to young to take to the range, let alone for BOTH of us to shoot without having to keep an eye on them).

Anyway, I've been lucky to be afforded to continue the hobby the most in the last few years, since as the stay at home dad it's all I have left of my machismo.

But recently a CMP M1 Carbine match came up (along with a NRA High Power). Her favorite firearm to shoot is the Carbine. So I convinced her to go, and I'll have the boys at home.

Since the High Power match was going to be done at the same event I also convinced her to take the M1A Super Match (.308)

*************
So you know, when you get to a match, and have all your stuff, and are laying it out guys are checking you out (not as much as "checking you out" in terms of sexually, but in a sense of "oh, here's a girl, I wonder what a mess this will be").

Rifles are not unbagged at this point.

This is where her story gets interesting. Finally after the safety brief they are allowed to take their gear to the line, the moment she unveils the rifle inside the case everyone is drawn to her like a bright electric bug zapper.

Yes, I'm bragging about what technically is my rifle, but it's not so much the rifle as much as no one else brought a real sized rifle for this particular match and let alone the one that did is the tiniest one on the line.

Someone said to the effect, "she brought a real rifle", and she responded to the effect "I thought this was a high power match" (which it was). Everyone else just used 223 or shot their 30 carbine twice.

I wish I was there to observe this. I love doing that. I've had more than one opportunity for her to broadside macho guys at a range.

So this little tiny thing goes to the line, unbags the largest heaviest, and most powerful rifle on the line, and proceeded to shoot a 428/500 with a rifle she has never shot before (first trigger pull was her sighter for during match conditions) on top of having not shot in the last 3 years.

She finished middle of the pack for both rifles.

Anyway, I'm really lucky, and glad she was glowing when she got home. I can still suck her into shooting matches when the boys are older.

***********
So the question left is:
Do we focus on getting a Match Grade 223 or a Match M1 Grade Carbine?
__________________
Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-25-2021, 2:06 PM
Dano3467 Dano3467 is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: 85 mi south of Oregon
Posts: 7,095
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-25-2021, 2:15 PM
theLBC's Avatar
theLBC theLBC is online now
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: the lbc
Posts: 3,082
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

\o/
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-25-2021, 3:26 PM
croue croue is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose
Posts: 1,039
iTrader: 29 / 97%
Default

First world problem there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-25-2021, 3:49 PM
Dr Pete Dr Pete is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 582
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Both ?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-25-2021, 4:10 PM
operavoice's Avatar
operavoice operavoice is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 430
iTrader: 13 / 100%
Default

This thread is useless without pictures of the rifles.
__________________
http://www.wildlife-optics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/NRA-Life-Member-Logo.jpg
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-25-2021, 4:25 PM
Snoopy47's Avatar
Snoopy47 Snoopy47 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,957
iTrader: 7 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by croue View Post
First world problem there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No...........

FREE WORLD problem. We're the only first world country with this problem.
__________________
Before there was Polymer there was Accuracy.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-25-2021, 4:29 PM
GlockN'Roll's Avatar
GlockN'Roll GlockN'Roll is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: SOUTHERN CAL
Posts: 2,858
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default


__________________

Discreet, Legal Carry in 37 States...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-25-2021, 6:47 PM
BadKitty's Avatar
BadKitty BadKitty is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,126
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Yeah, it's typical. I went to a shooting competition and made a decent showing through the stages. As I was leaving, one of the parking lot volunteers urgently waved me down and intercepted my car. I rolled down my window to see what was the matter.

He wanted to invited me to an NRA "Women on Target" class.


A beginner's class for women.........where they shoot .22lr at paper plates.


He absolutely meant well and I politely said "no thank you". But still.....why would you offer a complete beginner's class to someone who is leaving a *shooting competition* as a *competitor*? Because I'm a female?


At a range out of state, I paid my fees and walked up to the line. Before I even took my weapon out of the case or fired a single round, the range safety officer walked up to me and started offering me advice on proper shooting technique.


At one of my local ranges, I went in on a weekday to run some drills. After I was finished, I came out to check out. The guys at the counter made some positive comments about my shooting technique and suggested one thing I could improve. I then realized that they had been watching me over the security camera. Not in a creepy sexual way, but still....


So, yeah. Not at all surprised that your wife encountered "surprise" for bringing a "real rifle" and "shooting well".
__________________
Meowr!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-25-2021, 6:56 PM
3fcattle 3fcattle is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Oakdale ca
Posts: 75
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

My daughter in law shoots. She hates gun stores. And we are blessed the people we take classes with are cool. Every once in a while there is always one of those guys though.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-25-2021, 7:00 PM
71MUSTY's Avatar
71MUSTY 71MUSTY is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 6,113
iTrader: 17 / 100%
Default

My wife is pretty oblivious to all the guys fawning over her at the range. I usually hang back and watch. But when she shoots it's pretty obvious she out shoots most of them including me.
__________________
Only slaves don't need guns


Quote:
Originally Posted by epilepticninja View Post
Americans vs. Democrats
We stand for the Anthem, we kneel for the cross


We already have the only reasonable Gun Control we need, It's called the Second Amendment and it's the government it controls.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-25-2021, 7:12 PM
Gun Kraft's Avatar
Gun Kraft Gun Kraft is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 418
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Any time a female engages in a traditionally male dominated activity there will be guys attracted like moths to a flame. The activity matters not. I remember back in college there was some graffiti in the computer stat lab (shared adm3a terminals connected to a PDP-11) that said, "No hitting on girls by showing them arcane unix commands."

But back to the OP's question. Right now I'd suggest joining the CMP and getting an M1. That way you have a source for reasonably priced ammo, which may be more important than the rifle you pick for now.
__________________
SF Bay Area firearm training
www.gunkraft.com
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-26-2021, 10:34 AM
Kate Kate is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 196
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
Any time a female engages in a traditionally male dominated activity there will be guys attracted like moths to a flame. The activity matters not. I remember back in college there was some graffiti in the computer stat lab (shared adm3a terminals connected to a PDP-11) that said, "No hitting on girls by showing them arcane unix commands."

But back to the OP's question. Right now I'd suggest joining the CMP and getting an M1. That way you have a source for reasonably priced ammo, which may be more important than the rifle you pick for now.
Hmmmm. Arcane UNIX commands might have worked with me...

Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-26-2021, 11:39 AM
Gun Kraft's Avatar
Gun Kraft Gun Kraft is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 418
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Remember the finger command and .plan files? Ah the good old days.

Here's one: grep -x '[kate]\{4\}' /usr/dict/share/words
This command will show you all the words that can be spelled using the letters in your name.
__________________
SF Bay Area firearm training
www.gunkraft.com
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-26-2021, 4:43 PM
Gryff's Avatar
Gryff Gryff is offline
CGSSA Coordinator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Castro Valley, CA
Posts: 12,068
iTrader: 61 / 98%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
At a range out of state, I paid my fees and walked up to the line. Before I even took my weapon out of the case or fired a single round, the range safety officer walked up to me and started offering me advice on proper shooting technique.
I'm not a big advocate of political correctness, but I do think that the NRA should address in their Range Officer classes the issue of female shooters. I constantly hear stories from female shooters of range officers who are patronizing or overly familiar in terms of inserting themselves into the woman's shooting session without invitation.

Range officers shouldn't be doing things that drive shooters away.
__________________
My friends and family disavow all knowledge of my existence, let alone my opinions.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-31-2021, 7:51 PM
Kate Kate is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 196
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
Remember the finger command and .plan files? Ah the good old days.

Here's one: grep -x '[kate]\{4\}' /usr/dict/share/words
This command will show you all the words that can be spelled using the letters in your name.

I am not so sure those days were all that "Good" but when I moved to VAXen in the 80s, I did miss the Vi editor for many years...

As for your grep command, I am well and truly impressed!!

Katie
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-31-2021, 8:09 PM
HKAllTheThings HKAllTheThings is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Newport
Posts: 498
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Did you just assume their gender? Big mistake
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-01-2021, 7:40 AM
Gun Kraft's Avatar
Gun Kraft Gun Kraft is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 418
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I am not so sure those days were all that "Good" but when I moved to VAXen in the 80s, I did miss the Vi editor for many years...
I think the "good old days" were good not because of the specific activity, but because you were young, everything was new and the future had unknown potential.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKAllTheThings View Post
Did you just assume their gender? Big mistake
Did you think I was trying to hit on Kate? Your mistake. On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
__________________
SF Bay Area firearm training
www.gunkraft.com
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-01-2021, 9:49 PM
Kate Kate is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 196
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
I think the "good old days" were good not because of the specific activity, but because you were young, everything was new and the future had unknown potential.

Did you think I was trying to hit on Kate? Your mistake. On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.
I did not think that. Just to be clear.

In every case, I am way to old to be hit upon. I am NOT too old to enjoy fun Nerd banter! And, without giving away too much detail, having attended the University of California, who thinks they _invented_ UNIX, I DID have to implement all of UNIX as defined in the 1973 Bell Systems Technical Journal in assembly as part of a class in graduate school, just a couple of years after it was published...

But I think I have strayed so far, that I am in danger of this thread being moved to OT...



Katie
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-01-2021, 10:15 PM
PoorRichRichard's Avatar
PoorRichRichard PoorRichRichard is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Berdoo
Posts: 2,453
iTrader: 34 / 100%
Default

OP- you obviously picked well you lucky bastard.
__________________
Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Anyone who Threatens it.1A - 2A = -1A

Conservatives think liberals are people with bad ideas. Liberals think conservatives are bad people.
--- Dan Bongino
Quote:
Originally Posted by EM2 View Post
Some liberals are evil people out to control others. (Hillary, Pelosi, et.al.)
Many liberals are lemmings and will follow whomever espouses what they 'feel'.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-01-2021, 10:25 PM
hunterb hunterb is offline
Banned
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: SGV
Posts: 3,658
iTrader: 83 / 100%
Default

GREAT STORY OP!! Love it! I can just imagine the ego’s deflating!
And, “I thought this was a high power match...”. Lolol.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-02-2021, 6:27 AM
Gun Kraft's Avatar
Gun Kraft Gun Kraft is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 418
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I did not think that. Just to be clear.
Kinda sad we both have to clarify this to a third party, but it's easy to misinterpret stuff online.

Quote:
I am NOT too old to enjoy fun Nerd banter!
Not nerd, geek! On the west coast computer geeks look down on nerds. On the east coast computer nerds scoff at geeks. I proudly self-identify as a computer geek. I went to Uncle Charley's Summer Camp.

Yes, we'll end the thread hijacking here.
__________________
SF Bay Area firearm training
www.gunkraft.com
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-02-2021, 4:44 PM
BadKitty's Avatar
BadKitty BadKitty is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,126
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
Remember the finger command and .plan files? Ah the good old days.

Here's one: grep -x '[kate]\{4\}' /usr/dict/share/words
This command will show you all the words that can be spelled using the letters in your name.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
And, without giving away too much detail, having attended the University of California, who thinks they _invented_ UNIX, I DID have to implement all of UNIX as defined in the 1973 Bell Systems Technical Journal in assembly as part of a class in graduate school, just a couple of years after it was published...

You two are obviously 31337
__________________
Meowr!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-02-2021, 5:12 PM
S.O.A.R.'s Avatar
S.O.A.R. S.O.A.R. is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Oleoresin Capsicum
Posts: 1,744
iTrader: 28 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
Any time a female engages in a traditionally male dominated activity there will be guys attracted like moths to a flame..
Yea, I tried doing something in a female dominated activity...
I took a class on womenís studies female sexuality. Luckily for me, every classmate was a woman except me and some trans-homo.
My semester was looking great, especially with women all giddly a straight man taking class.

Unlucky for me, douche of a professor assigned that ďone study partner for the semesterĒ and I had to drop the class next day...


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-02-2021, 7:18 PM
Gun Kraft's Avatar
Gun Kraft Gun Kraft is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 418
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.O.A.R. View Post
Yea, I tried doing something in a female dominated activity...
Okay, I can't resist sharing this one. Back in the mid-90's I bought a sewing machine and learned how to sew clothes. So there I am a relatively young male sitting in a room full of middle aged women. We're all busy sewing away and they're chatting about using AOL and trying to log on/use the internet. I stay silent but it was a very surreal experience as a computer geek learning how to sew hearing a sewing circle talking about learning how to use computers.
__________________
SF Bay Area firearm training
www.gunkraft.com
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-03-2021, 9:17 PM
Kate Kate is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 196
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
Okay, I can't resist sharing this one. Back in the mid-90's I bought a sewing machine and learned how to sew clothes. So there I am a relatively young male sitting in a room full of middle aged women. We're all busy sewing away and they're chatting about using AOL and trying to log on/use the internet. I stay silent but it was a very surreal experience as a computer geek learning how to sew hearing a sewing circle talking about learning how to use computers.
Highly efficient: Learning two topics at one time!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-03-2021, 9:27 PM
emtmark's Avatar
emtmark emtmark is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South of Gilroy CA
Posts: 2,563
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
I did not think that. Just to be clear.



In every case, I am way to old to be hit upon. I am NOT too old to enjoy fun Nerd banter! And, without giving away too much detail, having attended the University of California, who thinks they _invented_ UNIX, I DID have to implement all of UNIX as defined in the 1973 Bell Systems Technical Journal in assembly as part of a class in graduate school, just a couple of years after it was published...



But I think I have strayed so far, that I am in danger of this thread being moved to OT...







Katie


You may have heard of my Uncle Bill, strange bird, was big in the BSD stuff and we had a Unix machine that he built in my grandpas garage. I remember swapping floppies like a mad dog trying to do stuff. The screeching death of a dot matrix printer ohhhhhh the horror


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
I know what this man needs.............bring me the vodka
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-03-2021, 9:52 PM
9mmrevolver's Avatar
9mmrevolver 9mmrevolver is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: neverland
Posts: 1,401
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Great story man.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-05-2021, 6:52 PM
Kate Kate is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor - Lifetime
CGN Contributor - Lifetime
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 196
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtmark View Post
You may have heard of my Uncle Bill, strange bird, was big in the BSD stuff and we had a Unix machine that he built in my grandpas garage. I remember swapping floppies like a mad dog trying to do stuff. The screeching death of a dot matrix printer ohhhhhh the horror


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I am old and my memory is terrible, but I don't recall Uncle Bob...



And, given the people doing UNIX at Berkeley in the 70s and early 80s, "strange bird" is nowhere close to an identifying characteristic...

Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-11-2021, 9:21 PM
Rob454's Avatar
Rob454 Rob454 is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: so cal
Posts: 10,622
iTrader: 37 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Yeah, it's typical. I went to a shooting competition and made a decent showing through the stages. As I was leaving, one of the parking lot volunteers urgently waved me down and intercepted my car. I rolled down my window to see what was the matter.

He wanted to invited me to an NRA "Women on Target" class.


A beginner's class for women.........where they shoot .22lr at paper plates.


He absolutely meant well and I politely said "no thank you". But still.....why would you offer a complete beginner's class to someone who is leaving a *shooting competition* as a *competitor*? Because I'm a female?


At a range out of state, I paid my fees and walked up to the line. Before I even took my weapon out of the case or fired a single round, the range safety officer walked up to me and started offering me advice on proper shooting technique.


At one of my local ranges, I went in on a weekday to run some drills. After I was finished, I came out to check out. The guys at the counter made some positive comments about my shooting technique and suggested one thing I could improve. I then realized that they had been watching me over the security camera. Not in a creepy sexual way, but still....


So, yeah. Not at all surprised that your wife encountered "surprise" for bringing a "real rifle" and "shooting well".
I can tell you a possible reason why they invited you. Because you are a woman and a competitive shooter and could set a example for the newb female class. You would of been probably more of a example.

As for the range manager....nobody knows who you are. Unless youíre wearing your Iím a competitive shooter donít bother me badge nobody knows who the hell you are.

And I donít care how great a shooter you are plenty of shooter can have bad habits without even knowing they have them. Thatís why we have accidental shootings and NDs

As far as women at the range....itís simply numbers.... a small amount of women that do shoot. So yes itís relatively unusual to see women shoot. Most women I see shooting have very bad stance and posture. Not to mention typical jerk guys who tend to give them guns that are way over the top. For example...I was at a shooting range where this dude asked me if his wife could shoot my model 29 6 inch 44 magnum. I looked at his wife and politely asked her if she ever shot a 44. She said she never shot any guns. I wanted to punch the dik husband in the mouth. He thought it was funny as he was gonna film it. Not only could she or some other innocent person get seriously hurt itís a absolutely ahole thing to do to anyone. My point is I had no idea if the lady was a competitive shooter or a novice. She didnt have her competitive badge on her chest.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-12-2021, 10:35 AM
IVC's Avatar
IVC IVC is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Temecula
Posts: 15,645
iTrader: 3 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
My point is I had no idea if the lady was a competitive shooter or a novice. She didnt have her competitive badge on her chest.
And, what were you doing checking her chest, asking for a friend?
__________________
NRA Benefactor Member
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-13-2021, 8:42 PM
BadKitty's Avatar
BadKitty BadKitty is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,126
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob454 View Post
I can tell you a possible reason why they invited you. Because you are a woman and a competitive shooter and could set a example for the newb female class. You would of been probably more of a example.
No, sir. He did not ask me if I would mind coming as an example for the class. If that was his intention, he should have specifically asked if I would like to come to help mentor other women. Instead, he told me it would be a great class where I could learn to shoot.


Quote:
As for the range manager....nobody knows who you are. Unless you’re wearing your I’m a competitive shooter don’t bother me badge nobody knows who the hell you are.
Oh, I may not have been clear in my original post - this was at a GSSF shooting competition and he was a shooting competition volunteer. I hope that clears it up. I agree that people aren't mind readers at a regular range and I wouldn't expect someone to know specific information about me at a regular indoor range, per se. In this case, the only event at the outdoor facility that day was the competition.


Quote:
And I don’t care how great a shooter you are plenty of shooter can have bad habits without even knowing they have them. That’s why we have accidental shootings and NDs
Ok....well....sure. I still fail to see how the NRA Women on Target class is the correct type of course to "correct" or fine-tune a competitive shooter.


Quote:
As far as women at the range....it’s simply numbers.... a small amount of women that do shoot. So yes it’s relatively unusual to see women shoot. Most women I see shooting have very bad stance and posture.
Perhaps it is true that "most women you see" are not up to your standard. Though, I'm certain you would agree that doesn't mean we all have bad stance and posture. Again, this was an advertised competitive shooting event. A man should be a little astute when approaching women at a competitive shooting event.


Quote:
Not to mention typical jerk guys who tend to give them guns that are way over the top. For example...I was at a shooting range where this dude asked me if his wife could shoot my model 29 6 inch 44 magnum. I looked at his wife and politely asked her if she ever shot a 44. She said she never shot any guns. I wanted to punch the dik husband in the mouth. He thought it was funny as he was gonna film it. Not only could she or some other innocent person get seriously hurt it’s a absolutely ahole thing to do to anyone. My point is I had no idea if the lady was a competitive shooter or a novice. She didnt have her competitive badge on her chest.

I agree with you that man's request to have his wife shoot your 44 was an awful thing to do. You had every right to ask her politely if she was familiar with that type of weapon. I personally wouldn't have taken offense to you asking me that. However, your last sentence is still problematic in that people naturally assume less of a woman when it comes to shooting. That's all I'm saying. Thank you for sharing your perspective.
__________________
Meowr!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-14-2021, 7:57 AM
Gun Kraft's Avatar
Gun Kraft Gun Kraft is offline
Vendor/Retailer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SF Bay Area
Posts: 418
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Most guys I see shoot average an off center 16" group at 10 yards, and are happy with an 8" group at that distance. Meanwhile I've taught absolute beginner females who were able to consistently put groups into a 5" circle at 10 yards in their first hour shooting. Gender has nothing to do with it.

If I'm at a competitive event I'm going to assume everyone there with a gun knows what they're doing unless their body language or gear indicates otherwise. If that's the case I may strike up a friendly low-key conversation to see if they could use pointers and are open to the idea. I don't make assumptions, but that's just how I do things.

Going back to the OP, his wife presumably was the only female at the shoot and did well at the event--especially using a rifle she never shot beforehand. If she had been approached after the match by a guy encouraging her to attend a WOT class, she'd probably get upset too. It shows unconscious gender bias that all females don't know how to shoot. Not good. That or in the case of BadKitty, maybe the guy has no social skills and his only thought process was to ask every female he saw without regard to anything else.

Now in my case as an instructor, if someone came up to me and offered advice to make me a better shooter I'd say, "Great! What'cha got?" But I'm weird that way.
__________________
SF Bay Area firearm training
www.gunkraft.com
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-14-2021, 11:39 AM
BadKitty's Avatar
BadKitty BadKitty is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,126
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
Most guys I see shoot average an off center 16" group at 10 yards, and are happy with an 8" group at that distance. Meanwhile I've taught absolute beginner females who were able to consistently put groups into a 5" circle at 10 yards in their first hour shooting. Gender has nothing to do with it.

If I'm at a competitive event I'm going to assume everyone there with a gun knows what they're doing unless their body language or gear indicates otherwise. If that's the case I may strike up a friendly low-key conversation to see if they could use pointers and are open to the idea. I don't make assumptions, but that's just how I do things.

Going back to the OP, his wife presumably was the only female at the shoot and did well at the event--especially using a rifle she never shot beforehand. If she had been approached after the match by a guy encouraging her to attend a WOT class, she'd probably get upset too. It shows unconscious gender bias that all females don't know how to shoot. Not good. That or in the case of BadKitty, maybe the guy has no social skills and his only thought process was to ask every female he saw without regard to anything else.

Now in my case as an instructor, if someone came up to me and offered advice to make me a better shooter I'd say, "Great! What'cha got?" But I'm weird that way.

Thank you, Gun Kraft.

To be clear to all of the gentlemen here - I'm not "anti-help" and I am 100% certain I could always be better and learn more. For sure. It's just that the WOT class is where gals shoot .22lr at 10-in paper plates. That's not my jam, bro.





I had just picked up this G22 (.40) out of jail and was doing a range review. I want to say this was 10rds at about 10 yds at moderate rate of fire.
__________________
Meowr!
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-17-2021, 6:24 AM
emtmark's Avatar
emtmark emtmark is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: South of Gilroy CA
Posts: 2,563
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadKitty View Post
Thank you, Gun Kraft.



To be clear to all of the gentlemen here - I'm not "anti-help" and I am 100% certain I could always be better and learn more. For sure. It's just that the WOT class is where gals shoot .22lr at 10-in paper plates. That's not my jam, bro.











I had just picked up this G22 (.40) out of jail and was doing a range review. I want to say this was 10rds at about 10 yds at moderate rate of fire.


So you missed what like four times?!

Lol!!


Super joking

Nice shooting Tex!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
__________________
I know what this man needs.............bring me the vodka
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 7:38 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical