Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > INTERESTS AND ACTIVITIES > Ammo and Reloading
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Ammo and Reloading Factory Ammunition, Reloading, Components, Load Data and more.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-17-2021, 2:34 PM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: "Extreme Centrist", just south'er
Posts: 9,026
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default Using the Wrong Primers...


https://youtu.be/NGVRGsoOr6k
__________________
The Gender-Pay Gap is a myth: "The highest-paid earners on OnlyFans are women."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnlyFans I'll hear no more on this.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-17-2021, 2:55 PM
ironhorse1 ironhorse1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 92020
Posts: 967
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

All primers are good primers so load away. I'm using srp's in my .357 spmp in the 9mm and .38's.

It's what I have now as spp are hard to find and I'm not paying flipper prices.

irh
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-17-2021, 4:08 PM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: "Extreme Centrist", just south'er
Posts: 9,026
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Striker or hammer handguns?
__________________
The Gender-Pay Gap is a myth: "The highest-paid earners on OnlyFans are women."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnlyFans I'll hear no more on this.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-17-2021, 5:58 PM
MongooseV8's Avatar
MongooseV8 MongooseV8 is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 4,072
iTrader: 84 / 100%
Default

Well if a guy on the internet made a video must be true.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-17-2021, 6:42 PM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: "Extreme Centrist", just south'er
Posts: 9,026
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

I have mixed and match the last shortage, as primers were gone.com then too...
__________________
The Gender-Pay Gap is a myth: "The highest-paid earners on OnlyFans are women."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnlyFans I'll hear no more on this.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-18-2021, 8:27 AM
USM0083 USM0083 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Daly City
Posts: 332
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I've loaded and shot ~1500 rounds of 9mm with SRP.

Win SRP: no problems
CCI #400: no problems
Magtech SRP: about 20% failure to fire due to thicker primer cup

Guns: Sig P320, G17, G19, Ruger LCR, Ruger PCC

I am still using the Magtech primers for loads through my Glocks; I've put in 6.5lb striker springs and get maybe 8% failure to fire. It makes me practice my tap/rack drills.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-18-2021, 8:31 AM
edgerly779 edgerly779 is online now
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: canoga park, ca
Posts: 17,131
iTrader: 102 / 100%
Default

if using srp just need good hammer/firing pin strike cups are harder.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-18-2021, 8:37 AM
nedro nedro is offline
Veteran Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 3,803
iTrader: 11 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by USM0083 View Post
I've loaded and shot ~1500 rounds of 9mm with SRP.

Win SRP: no problems
CCI #400: no problems
Magtech SRP: about 20% failure to fire due to thicker primer cup

Guns: Sig P320, G17, G19, Ruger LCR, Ruger PCC

I am still using the Magtech primers for loads through my Glocks; I've put in 6.5lb striker springs and get maybe 8% failure to fire. It makes me practice my tap/rack drills.
Wow, extremely unacceptable for a device designed to kill before being killed.
At least you now know not to do it anymore. Unlees you are training for failure, of course.
__________________
Here in California; Law abiding Citizens are simply Useful Idiots and Criminals are a Protected Species.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-18-2021, 8:49 AM
USM0083 USM0083 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Daly City
Posts: 332
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedro View Post
Wow, extremely unacceptable for a device designed to kill before being killed.
At least you now know not to do it anymore. Unlees you are training for failure, of course.
?

Why would I use ammo reloaded with SRP for defensive purposes? I have plenty of factory Gold Dot and HST for that.

My reloads are for practice/training ammo only.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-18-2021, 11:36 AM
ironhorse1 ironhorse1 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: 92020
Posts: 967
iTrader: 25 / 100%
Default

Yes sir I'm only using srp in hammer fired pistols.

Had a J frame which would not always set one off but that may be due to one coil being cut off of the hammer spring. Not by me btw.

I have a Kahr PM9 the only striker fired pistol I own. It barely bounces a pencil so no srp for that one.

irh
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-18-2021, 2:40 PM
USM0083 USM0083 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Daly City
Posts: 332
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironhorse1 View Post
Yes sir I'm only using srp in hammer fired pistols.

Had a J frame which would not always set one off but that may be due to one coil being cut off of the hammer spring. Not by me btw.

I have a Kahr PM9 the only striker fired pistol I own. It barely bounces a pencil so no srp for that one.

irh
Pencil with an eraser? I use a plastic punch for firing pin/striker testing and my G17 will launch it across the room (30 degree angle.)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-18-2021, 2:44 PM
waawaaweenie waawaaweenie is offline
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central, Ca
Posts: 583
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I can attest that large pistol primers will work in a large rifle pocket but probably not the other way around and fire just fine
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-18-2021, 7:31 PM
1859sharps 1859sharps is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,103
iTrader: 1 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseV8 View Post
Well if a guy on the internet made a video must be true.
Good words of caution, however this video was made by a licensed ammunition manufacture that has been around for several decades. While SuperVel isn't the largest, and maybe not even well known today, I know police officers who used their ammo in the 70s/80s.

Bottom line, in this case, the video wasn't some guy in his garage spouting off about something he has gotten away so far by pure luck and that is ill advised
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-18-2021, 7:38 PM
PSLguy PSLguy is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: CA & Utah
Posts: 775
iTrader: 2 / 100%
Default

I posted that same video here a few weeks ago. Do they work? Clearly yes, assuming you have a gun with enough strike.

Bigger issue is what are the pressure issues and are they dangerous. This video does a good job of documenting pressures, at least for the loads he's using.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-18-2021, 7:41 PM
dadswickedammo dadswickedammo is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 680
iTrader: 33 / 100%
Default

Very nice info.
Thank you
__________________
I used to reload so I could shoot more, now I shoot more so I can reload more.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-18-2021, 7:49 PM
golfish's Avatar
golfish golfish is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Alta Loma
Posts: 6,985
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Good post, OP....

.
__________________
It takes a lot of balls to play golf the way I do.
Happiness is a warm gun.

MLC, First 3
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-18-2021, 8:19 PM
David Jackson's Avatar
David Jackson David Jackson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 117
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

I have 2 bricks of magnum pistol primers. Can I safely use those to fire .45 acp rounds? (I have not checked to see if they will fit the cases. Did not want to open the boxes unless I plan to use them. CCI btw.)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-18-2021, 9:16 PM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: "Extreme Centrist", just south'er
Posts: 9,026
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
I have 2 bricks of magnum pistol primers. Can I safely use those to fire .45 acp rounds? (I have not checked to see if they will fit the cases. Did not want to open the boxes unless I plan to use them. CCI btw.)
Safely, yes...

Reliability, well it depends on your hammer, or striker spring...
Additionally some .45 ACP brass use Small, and some use Large primers...
__________________
The Gender-Pay Gap is a myth: "The highest-paid earners on OnlyFans are women."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnlyFans I'll hear no more on this.

Last edited by the86d; 04-18-2021 at 9:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-19-2021, 7:39 AM
divingin divingin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,589
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waawaaweenie View Post
I can attest that large pistol primers will work in a large rifle pocket but probably not the other way around and fire just fine
Large rifle primers are 8 thousandths of an inch taller than large pistol primers. If you have enough firing pin protrusion, large pistol should work in a case designed for large rifle.

Putting large rifle in a case designed for large pistol primers will probably cause the primer to sit proud of the case base, which can cause chambering problems.

Small rifle and pistol primers share the same physical measurements, so will fit interchangeably (this is saying nothing about effects from differing chemical properties or amounts of the primer compound.)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-19-2021, 8:03 AM
bohoki's Avatar
bohoki bohoki is offline
I need a LIFE!!
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 92688
Posts: 19,424
iTrader: 21 / 100%
Default

been using small rifle for 9mm for years heck my s&b small primers say for rifle and pistol
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-19-2021, 9:16 AM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: "Extreme Centrist", just south'er
Posts: 9,026
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingin View Post
Large rifle primers are 8 thousandths of an inch taller than large pistol primers. If you have enough firing pin protrusion, large pistol should work in a case designed for large rifle.

Putting large rifle in a case designed for large pistol primers will probably cause the primer to sit proud of the case base, which can cause chambering problems.

Small rifle and pistol primers share the same physical measurements, so will fit interchangeably (this is saying nothing about effects from differing chemical properties or amounts of the primer compound.)
I don't own anything that takes large rifle or large pistol primers, but 8-Thou, might be an issue...
__________________
The Gender-Pay Gap is a myth: "The highest-paid earners on OnlyFans are women."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnlyFans I'll hear no more on this.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-19-2021, 9:23 AM
David Jackson's Avatar
David Jackson David Jackson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 117
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

So, are magnum pistol primers 8 thou taller than large pistol? (I suppose I could put away the lazy pills and measure them ...)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-19-2021, 12:59 PM
divingin divingin is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,589
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
So, are magnum pistol primers 8 thou taller than large pistol? (I suppose I could put away the lazy pills and measure them ...)
No. The difference is between large rifle and large pistol, not between standard and magnum of either flavor.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-20-2021, 6:03 PM
David Jackson's Avatar
David Jackson David Jackson is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Magalia, CA
Posts: 117
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default Magnum Large Pistol use in .45 ACP?

So, can I use large pistol magnum primers to load .45 ACP? (If I run out of large pistol)
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-20-2021, 6:57 PM
Imageview Imageview is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 540
iTrader: 12 / 100%
Default

Shouldn't be an issue, might generate slightly more pressure (or less, or different curves) but unless you're pushing the envelope in terms of loads it shouldn't matter. 45 acp isn't a super high pressure round and should be very tolerant.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 04-20-2021, 7:29 PM
xfer42 xfer42 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boise, ID
Posts: 534
iTrader: 4 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
So, can I use large pistol magnum primers to load .45 ACP? (If I run out of large pistol)
Yes
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-20-2021, 11:01 PM
bruce381's Avatar
bruce381 bruce381 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Millbrae, CA
Posts: 2,208
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jackson View Post
So, can I use large pistol magnum primers to load .45 ACP? (If I run out of large pistol)
yes I do all the time in a 1911 a glock may need stock striker spring
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-20-2021, 11:10 PM
mojaveshooter mojaveshooter is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2020
Posts: 1
iTrader: 0 / 0%
Default

Anyone in need of SPP or LPP and have SRP to trade, I have CCI and Winchester of both available. I prefer 41s but at this point I’ll consider regular SRP. I’m located in North LA county (Palmdale).
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-21-2021, 3:36 AM
the86d's Avatar
the86d the86d is offline
Calguns Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: "Extreme Centrist", just south'er
Posts: 9,026
iTrader: 5 / 100%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojaveshooter View Post
Anyone in need of SPP or LPP and have SRP to trade, I have CCI and Winchester of both available. I prefer 41s but at this point I’ll consider regular SRP. I’m located in North LA county (Palmdale).

With 1 post, and it is about a primer-trade...
Seems pretty-shady, like get robbed in L.A. shady... for currently priceless artifacts called primers...
__________________
The Gender-Pay Gap is a myth: "The highest-paid earners on OnlyFans are women."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OnlyFans I'll hear no more on this.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 4:52 AM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Proudly hosted by GeoVario the Premier 2A host.
Calguns.net, the 'Calguns' name and all associated variants and logos are ® Trademark and © Copyright 2002-2021, Calguns.net an Incorporated Company All Rights Reserved.
All opinions, statements and remarks made by Calguns.net on this web site and elsewhere are solely attributable to Calguns.net.



Seams2SewBySusy

Tactical Pants Tactical Boots Military Boots 5.11 Tactical