Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > CONCEALED CARRY/LICENSE TO CARRY > Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Calguns Concealed Carry County Information Forum Information on how to get a LTC in yourCounty

Old 04-20-2021, 1:06 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4G63Attack View Post
Hello all, thank you for putting a a great resource together.

For the last couple of days I have been trying to brainstorm on putting a good cause together. So I want to run it by you guys and any things I should add or take away from.

1, I work in the security profession (I had an exposed firearm permit but it has long expired), work in a high profile location, from time to time have been threaten but not documented.

2, I don't know if another others here had put in their 03 FFL + COE. Transporting cash and firearms. Having an 03 FFL give us the ability to meet face to face to buy a firearm (50+ years and older) without going through a 01/07 FFL of a transfer or ownership. Personally I have yet to do this.

3, Shooting competitions/shooting ranges, carrying expensive firearms and gear. Into remote locations, outdoor shooting ranges, with spotty to no cell service at all.

Of course I'm going to elaborate on my good cause. I can expand 1 and 3, 2 pretty much as is

Any feed backs would be great.
Stick with your first reason, employment. That puts you in yellow. Show all your work documentation. Include the instances of being threatened at work with some details even if police reports were never filed. They will be taken into consideration. Stick with a single good cause and provide reasonable evidence to support your case.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 04-20-2021, 1:43 PM

Updated. So got a calls from CCW today. Interview tomorrow.... anyone know if I should bring any article to backup my GC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2021, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinhTran1 View Post
Updated. So got a calls from CCW today. Interview tomorrow.... anyone know if I should bring any article to backup my GC?

Depends, what does your good cause consist of?
Old 04-20-2021, 2:34 PM

Quote:
I did believe someone here did mention it was okay to use the car registration.
Oh okay cool thanks
Old 04-20-2021, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hsu View Post
Car registration should be good since it's also used as 2nd proof when you DROS a pistol.
Thanks I figured since Iíve used my car registration to purchase firearms
Old 04-20-2021, 2:37 PM

What training are you required to take? Is it an outside vendor LASD approved?
Old 04-20-2021, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweedsoyboy View Post
Depends, what does your good cause consist of?

Can I message you sir ?

Old 04-20-2021, 3:53 PM

Quote:
You should bring anything that proves your GC. At least in San Diego, any CLAIM of GC is completely discounted unless accompanied by some form of proof.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 04-20-2021, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMarquez View Post
What training are you required to take? Is it an outside vendor LASD approved?
You should take a look at the application page. It explains a lot. First sentence under "firearm training" :

Applicants must successfully complete a firearms training course, per Penal Code 26165. After a thorough background investigation, the applicant will be contacted by the CCW Coordinator to proceed with firearms training from a Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department approved Training Provider.
Old 04-20-2021, 4:06 PM

Quote:

2, I don't know if another others here had put in their 03 FFL + COE. Transporting cash and firearms. Having an 03 FFL give us the ability to meet face to face to buy a firearm (50+ years and older) without going through a 01/07 FFL of a transfer or ownership. Personally I have yet to do this.
Depends on what you mean by "Personally I have yet to do this.". Does this mean you have an FFL+COE and haven't done a transaction yet but plan to? If this is the case, I am not sure you would say you need a CCW for an activity you have not done yet. It is a little weak. If I was an avid collector of curio and relic guns and regularly do transactions with strangers I would definitely mention it.

I put my 03 FFL+COE and I explained that I am not a collector of firearms but have one to make certain transactions easier. Having a COE also shows you have been through livescan. I made sure to explain why I have it but it was in the last paragraph of my application. Originally, I was not going to mention it but in the California CCW Application Advice thread it said to not come off as a "gun nut" so I explained why I have an out of state CCW and FFL+COE.

I still think work-related has the best chance of success so I would focus on that first and add your recreational as the secondary reason.
Old 04-20-2021, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz397 View Post
Depends on what you mean by "Personally I have yet to do this.". Does this mean you have an FFL+COE and haven't done a transaction yet but plan to? If this is the case, I am not sure you would say you need a CCW for an activity you have not done yet. It is a little weak. If I was an avid collector of curio and relic guns and regularly do transactions with strangers I would definitely mention it.

I put my 03 FFL+COE and I explained that I am not a collector of firearms but have one to make certain transactions easier. Having a COE also shows you have been through livescan. I made sure to explain why I have it but it was in the last paragraph of my application. Originally, I was not going to mention it but in the California CCW Application Advice thread it said to not come off as a "gun nut" so I explained why I have an out of state CCW and FFL+COE.

I still think work-related has the best chance of success so I would focus on that first and add your recreational as the secondary reason.
I do hold a 03 FFL and yes I have never made a face to face transaction yet. Thanks for the link... i'l take a look
Old 04-20-2021, 5:03 PM

Application 3/19/21
Check cashed 4/08/21
Phone calls 4/20/2021
Live scan 4/20/2021 - as soon I get off work I get it done.
Interview 4/21/21

Everything else pending

Old 04-20-2021, 5:53 PM

WTF? Paladin got BANNED?
He has contributed so much here....
Old 04-20-2021, 7:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja Daze View Post
WTF? Paladin got BANNED?
He has contributed so much here....
Wait, we get banned here too? What the heck did he do?
Old 04-20-2021, 7:11 PM

Agreed why did he get banned

Old 04-20-2021, 7:31 PM
Veteran Member

Yea he definitely took time to help me
Old 04-20-2021, 7:41 PM

Somebody please send me a PM and let me know what happened to Paladin.
Old 04-20-2021, 7:50 PM

I hope Paladin gets un-banned soon. Although we disagreed on a few issues, I would not have my permit if he had not convinced me it was not futile to apply and I am VERY grateful to him for that.

The more time I spend on this forum, the more sense kcbrown makes.
Old 04-20-2021, 8:06 PM

Yeah I was gonna Dm him but when u click on his user name. I thought he stay low and disconnected. Didnít know you can get ban from here either

Old 04-20-2021, 8:22 PM

Guys I’m quite positive Paladin being banned is some mistake or bug. I wouldn’t be too concerned and I’m sure he’ll be back once it’s figured out.
Old 04-20-2021, 8:33 PM

For anyone that went for the interview? Are there any fees that you have to paid during the interview?

Old 04-20-2021, 8:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaweedsoyboy View Post
Guys Iím quite positive Paladin being banned is some mistake or bug. I wouldnít be too concerned and Iím sure heíll be back once itís figured out.

I hope it's a mistake, but even that's a big deal. He's doing important work right now. The CAguns reddit mod and Reno May credit Paladin for his work. Calguns needs him back now.
Old 04-20-2021, 8:55 PM
Veteran Member

I just messaged the head janitor incase it was an error
Old 04-20-2021, 9:27 PM

Quote:
For anyone that went for the interview? Are there any fees that you have to paid during the interview?

No. Just bring your documents with you. If youíre approved heíll tell you to get a live scan. Good luck.
Old 04-20-2021, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal547 View Post
No. Just bring your documents with you. If youíre approved heíll tell you to get a live scan. Good luck.

Are they tells if you will get approve or not on the spot ?

Old 04-20-2021, 9:41 PM

Quote:
Are they tells if you will get approve or not on the spot ?

Yes. If they donít accept your good cause they will not tell you to get a live scan. Of course if you donít pass your live scan or your training requirement you wonít get your license.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:49 PM

Hey CalGuns Fam,

With the recent changes to GC and LASD being more open to handing out CCWs this year, I wanted to get some insight on some of your GC that successfully passed! You could be specific if you’d like, or just give me a general overview of your GC and maybe some questions they asked.

I understand the process and its steps from reading this awesome thread. I understand how to properly fill out the application and abiding by the LASD application instructions (disregarding the DOJ instructions), I understand the time frame, I only have 1 pistol and it’s a carry size P320 so I won’t have any hiccups with my gun background, never been arrested or any other issues with the law. Also, I know I can apply directly with LASD since they no longer require the denial from LAPD.

The only thing I’m stuck on is what I should use for a GC. Specifically yellow GC.

The two I was thinking were:

1. My fiancť and I are constantly hiking and camping throughout CA. These places are obviously remote with spotty to no reception. This could leave me prone to an attack from a transient or wild animals without a means of getting immediate help from local authority. We also bike A LOT through canyons, river beds that are filled with homeless people and other sketchy figures so having a firearm on us would ensure proper security. I was once attacked by a homeless person during a ride and I could elaborate on that. I could look up supporting documents on attack reportings (both animal and personal attacks across areas we frequent and are looking to frequent)

2. I do B2B sales (business sales) in LA county and often have to deliver expensive merchandise using my own personal vehicle (merchandise ranges from $1,500-$25,000 on average) to customers and help them set-up equipment on-site.

Which one do you guys believe I should go with?

Feel free to PM me!

Last edited by ClickClackCeez; 04-20-2021 at 10:54 PM..
Old 04-21-2021, 6:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClickClackCeez View Post
Hey CalGuns Fam,

With the recent changes to GC and LASD being more open to handing out CCWs this year, I wanted to get some insight on some of your GC that successfully passed! You could be specific if youíd like, or just give me a general overview of your GC and maybe some questions they asked.

I understand the process and its steps from reading this awesome thread. I understand how to properly fill out the application and abiding by the LASD application instructions (disregarding the DOJ instructions), I understand the time frame, I only have 1 pistol and itís a carry size P320 so I wonít have any hiccups with my gun background, never been arrested or any other issues with the law. Also, I know I can apply directly with LASD since they no longer require the denial from LAPD.

The only thing Iím stuck on is what I should use for a GC. Specifically yellow GC.

1. My fiancť and I are constantly hiking and camping throughout CA. These places are obviously remote with spotty to no reception. This could leave me prone to an attack from a transient or wild animals without a means of getting immediate help from local authority. We also bike A LOT through canyons, river beds that are filled with homeless people and other sketchy figures so having a firearm on us would ensure proper security. I was once attacked by a homeless person during a ride and I could elaborate on that. I could look up supporting documents on attack reportings (both animal and personal attacks across areas we frequent and are looking to frequent)

2. I do B2B sales (business sales) in LA county and often have to deliver expensive merchandise using my own personal vehicle (merchandise ranges from $1,500-$25,000 on average) to customers and help them set-up equipment on-site.

Feel free to PM me!
I don't see any reason not to include both!
Old 04-21-2021, 6:54 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Hey CalGuns Fam,

With the recent changes to GC and LASD being more open to handing out CCWs this year, I wanted to get some insight on some of your GC that successfully passed! You could be specific if youíd like, or just give me a general overview of your GC and maybe some questions they asked.

I understand the process and its steps from reading this awesome thread. I understand how to properly fill out the application and abiding by the LASD application instructions (disregarding the DOJ instructions), I understand the time frame, I only have 1 pistol and itís a carry size P320 so I wonít have any hiccups with my gun background, never been arrested or any other issues with the law. Also, I know I can apply directly with LASD since they no longer require the denial from LAPD.

The only thing Iím stuck on is what I should use for a GC. Specifically yellow GC.

Feel free to PM me!
If you can document your business related risks, this puts you into light red category, which should improve your chances, otherwise, you're going with your first reason. Recreational activities fall under light green GC. Regardless, provide good documentation, if any exist, and put some thought into your GC statement especially if you've experienced any threats to your safety in the past. Make sure to include that information with as much detail as you can accurately recall. Good luck.

American Marksman Training Group
Visit our American Marksman Facebook Page
Diamond Bar CCW Facebook Page

NRA Memberships at Discounted fee
Old 04-21-2021, 9:16 AM

that harkens back to my own similar question. i have both recreational and work related risks. without wanting to seem like i'm desparate to try anything and everything, my thought was to list my best cause not every cause. in that way i could tailor and gather documents and records better.

the big question i have is if i list work related risks (light red) is that gc held to a higher standard to prove and i'm just making it harder on myself than if i had just gone with my recreational risks (light green) that has a lower standard to meet but also for which i have less (no) documentation....

Quote:
Hey CalGuns Fam,

Feel free to PM me!
Old 04-21-2021, 9:18 AM

for those who've been called for an interview, can you tell us the phone number to watch out for? i put my cell number on the app but we all know with the onslaught of spam calls so i've just gotten into the habit of not answering unknown numbers. i figure any legit callers would leave a message and i can return their calls but this isn't a call i'd want to miss.

i suspect it's just a generic lasd number on the caller id, but if you don't want to post the number, at least the area code and first 3??
Old 04-21-2021, 9:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekkthree View Post
for those who've been called for an interview, can you tell us the phone number to watch out for? i put my cell number on the app but we all know with the onslaught of spam calls so i've just gotten into the habit of not answering unknown numbers. i figure any legit callers would leave a message and i can return their calls but this isn't a call i'd want to miss.

i suspect it's just a generic lasd number on the caller id, but if you don't want to post the number, at least the area code and first 3??
You will get a call from a "Restricted" number.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk
Old 04-21-2021, 9:54 AM

Quote:

Mine said "private number". They leave a voicemail if you miss it.
Old 04-21-2021, 10:08 AM

Quote:
that harkens back to my own similar question. i have both recreational and work related risks. without wanting to seem like i'm desparate to try anything and everything, my thought was to list my best cause not every cause. in that way i could tailor and gather documents and records better.

the big question i have is if i list work related risks (light red) is that gc held to a higher standard to prove and i'm just making it harder on myself than if i had just gone with my recreational risks (light green) that has a lower standard to meet but also for which i have less (no) documentation....
For your recreational, do you take pictures when going hiking, camping, mountain biking, gun range, etc? Do you pay for campgrounds, have credit card receipts from the range, receipts for high-value guns? I am not sure what your recreational is but there are many ways to show recreational risks and proof that you do them. Many pictures also have embedded GPS data so you can use it to show the remoteness of the location etc.

In my interview, I asked what was the #1 most compelling reason and I was told it was my work-related risks. I also fully documented my recreational risks but I am not sure how much of it was considered. I also asked if there are recreational risks that they would approve and I was told yes. An example he gave me was going to the range with high-value guns. I am assuming it would have to be higher in value than a normal gun to be considered but I didn't ask for clarification.
Old 04-21-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Yes. If they donít accept your good cause they will not tell you to get a live scan. Of course if you donít pass your live scan or your training requirement you wonít get your license.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazz397 View Post
For your recreational, do you take pictures when going hiking, camping, mountain biking, gun range, etc? Do you pay for campgrounds, have credit card receipts from the range, receipts for high-value guns? I am not sure what your recreational is but there are many ways to show recreational risks and proof that you do them. Many pictures also have embedded GPS data so you can use it to show the remoteness of the location etc.

In my interview, I asked what was the #1 most compelling reason and I was told it was my work-related risks. I also fully documented my recreational risks but I am not sure how much of it was considered. I also asked if there are recreational risks that they would approve and I was told yes. An example he gave me was going to the range with high-value guns. I am assuming it would have to be higher in value than a normal gun to be considered but I didn't ask for clarification.

This is my question exactly regarding GC for recreational purposes, if I decide to go that route. I do have pictures of my expensive carbon bike, my DSLR that I take with me on trips, and pictures being out in nature. I could also take pictures of some of the sketchy areas I bike through that are local to me (riverbeds, etc).

I donít want to shoot myself in the foot (no pun intended) by leading with the work related GC if I could get better insight as to what could support a good recreational GC in terms of talking points and supporting documentation (pictures of my expensive equipment, map screen shots of where I frequent, along with pictures of me at a location or two etc)
Old 04-21-2021, 11:22 AM

As far as I know I haven’t heard anyone reporting here on Calguns that they used recreational (light green) good cause and have been approved. Several people reported that’s what the deputy told them they would accept but most have been approved for work related (yellow) good cause.

In my application I listed both a yellow and light green good cause. The deputy focused on the yellow in my interview and didn’t even bring up the light green. The only proof for my yellow good cause that was required was my check stub to prove I worked there and a more detail account of what I said in my application. I only used about half the space provided for the good cause statement.

So it looks to me like if you have a yellow good cause with even minimal documentation they will approve you. Light green seems to be rumored but not proven.

My advice. List both. You don’t want to take the chance for them to turn down your light green if you have a perfectly good yellow.
Old 04-21-2021, 12:56 PM

Quote:
As far as I know I havenít heard anyone reporting here on Calguns that they used recreational (light green) good cause and have been approved. Several people reported thatís what the deputy told them they would accept but most have been approved for work related (yellow) good cause.

In my application I listed both a yellow and light green good cause. The deputy focused on the yellow in my interview and didnít even bring up the light green. The only proof for my yellow good cause that was required was my check stub to prove I worked there and a more detail account of what I said in my application. I only used about half the space provided for the good cause statement.

So it looks to me like if you have a yellow good cause with even minimal documentation they will approve you. Light green seems to be rumored but not proven.

My advice. List both. You donít want to take the chance for them to turn down your light green if you have a perfectly good yellow.

Thanks for the advice! Iím going to start my process tomorrow by filling out the application and Iíll make sure to list out both my yellow GC and my light green GC as an additional supporting piece. Iíll let them probe on the GC they deem most fit for a CCW.

Once I get an interview date, Iíll start updating you guys!
Old 04-21-2021, 2:02 PM

CCW update as of today: 2277 applications, 632 issued, 325 pending issuance
For reference on 4/14 these were the stats: 2162 applications, 585 issued, 335 pending issuance

An increase of 115 new applications and 47 newly issued permits. Looks like its headed in the right direction...

Source: https://fb.watch/50lYVNXLD5/ start watching around 5 minutes
Old 04-21-2021, 10:32 PM

First, I live in a city who has their own PD, however I applied directly to LASD.

I get a call stating to apply to my local department, if I get denied, reapply including the denial letter.

I get a call a few weeks later from a Dep from the CCW unit based out of Chatsworth Courthouse scheduling an interview appointment.

I am a bit confused. Anyone else had the same situation AND/or have to goto Chatsworth Court? Everyone else I know went for their interview at the LASD HQ.

Last edited by Esexx; 04-21-2021 at 10:35 PM..
Old 04-22-2021, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esexx View Post
First, I live in a city who has their own PD, however I applied directly to LASD.

I get a call stating to apply to my local department, if I get denied, reapply including the denial letter.

I get a call a few weeks later from a Dep from the CCW unit based out of Chatsworth Courthouse scheduling an interview appointment.

I am a bit confused. Anyone else had the same situation AND/or have to goto Chatsworth Court? Everyone else I know went for their interview at the LASD HQ.
All of the above applies to me as well. I was reluctant to believe it was a legit solicitation from LASD. Anyway, I have a 10am appt today in Chatsworth to interview with a BI. If anyoneís interested to know on my experiences afterwards with the process, PM me. Wish me luck gunners, and you as well

Welcome to Kalifornia - A unconstitutional state where opinions trump over facts, "gun laws are too lax" & "you can't haves, unless it's taxed."