Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > OUTDOORS, HUNTING AND SURVIVAL > Survival and Preparations
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Survival and Preparations Long and short term survival and 'prepping'.

Old 10-14-2020, 11:02 AM

Default Costco has Mountain House Rice & Chicken 4cheep!

OK preppers , don't say I didn't do anything for ya!

Costco is selling cartons (6 x #10 cans) of Mountain House freeze dried Chicken & Rice for $114.99 delivered.

That's $19.17/can and 30-50%+ savings from anywhere else you look.

https://www.costco.com/mountain-hous...100677866.html

Of course you have to be a member
Old 10-14-2020, 11:14 AM

Sweet! Better order some now. Thanks for sharing. Stay safe and God Bless.
Old 10-14-2020, 3:49 PM

Yup good price, I normally buy MH cans from LDP Camping, they have it listed at $27.52 per can or $160 for 6.
Old 10-14-2020, 3:52 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Anyone up here in sfv area who wants split or 2 people let me know. 6 is way to much for me.
Old 10-14-2020, 4:16 PM

I know this is survival stuff, and during a SHTF situation you probably wouldn't really care, but...

Anyone actually eaten this stuff? Is it any good? How many actual meals does one can make? The servings per container seem to be only 250 calories, so that seems to come out to around a full can per day for a ~2000 calorie diet.
Old 10-14-2020, 4:23 PM
Calguns Addict

Good deal...
Old 10-14-2020, 4:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorCalRefuge View Post
I know this is survival stuff, and during a SHTF situation you probably wouldn't really care, but...

Anyone actually eaten this stuff? Is it any good? How many actual meals does one can make? The servings per container seem to be only 250 calories, so that seems to come out to around a full can per day for a ~2000 calorie diet.
Mountain House food is more typically considered backpacking food and is actually pretty good. It is cooked food that is freeze-dried, which retains taste & flavor vs. the typical dried foods that Wise or Augusan sells -and which tastes like crap.

I like it better than MREs.

I suggest you eat it as a meal component, not as 100% of your daily caloric intake.
Old 10-14-2020, 4:31 PM

Thanks OP
Old 10-14-2020, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I think each can holds thousands of calories.
Old 10-14-2020, 4:50 PM
Safety third
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nachoman View Post
Yup good price, I normally buy MH cans from LDP Camping, they have it listed at $27.52 per can or $160 for 6.
Do they still send out emails when they're having a sale? I used to get them all the time but nothing lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuarterBoreGunner View Post
Kes is really just an errand boy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestryll View Post
I am NOT...anything other than a schmuck...
Old 10-14-2020, 4:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
I think each can holds thousands of calories.
Each can seems to make about 2250 calories (9 servings of 250 calories each).

So about a day per can, if that is your only intake. Possibly up to 2 cans per day is you're doing some serious activity.

If what @CWL says about them tasting better than MRE's - awesome, although MRE's are pretty compact and easy to carry around in a pack - big cans... maybe not as much, even if it's lighter in weight (cuz, freeze dried). Some MRE's are actually pretty tasty
Old 10-14-2020, 4:53 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

250 calories is nothing. Cannot survive on that. Are you sure about those numbers I thought an mre was 2k plus.
Old 10-14-2020, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcvt View Post
Do they still send out emails when they're having a sale? I used to get them all the time but nothing lately.
You might need to re-subscribe.

Most email marketers will prune their email list once in a while, if they don't detect you opening and/or clicking the links in the email.

Some email clients block that tracking stuff these days, making it harder to know who's actually engaging with your marketing emails and who's actually really not interested anymore.

If you're not actively clicking links in the email (which is trackable, from an engagement standpoint), then you might show up as a "dead" email address with no engagement - and then be pruned from the list (it costs money to send those emails, so marketers have an interest in keeping the list size smaller).
Old 10-14-2020, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgerly779 View Post
250 calories is nothing. Cannot survive on that. Are you sure about those numbers I thought an mre was 2k plus.
It's the numbers off the back of the can in the Costco product image. It says 250 Calories is "One Serving" and there's approximately 9 servings per can (they say it's measured by weight, not volume, so approximate number of servings instead of a hard number - you probably don't have a scale with you in the field ).

I agree, 250 calories in nothing. Especially if you're actually backpacking or something strenuous. Probably more realistic to eat multiple of these servings at once - unless you are also eating other things with your meal.

MRE's seem to provide at least 1,200 calories per meal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meal,_...t#Requirements

MRE's are certainly heavier than this can of freeze dried food though - although they are probably easier to fit into a pack, which might be a consideration for some people. That and you don't need to boil water and stuff, making an MRE more "portable". Probably situation dependent which one is preferable though - different strokes for different folks!

Last edited by NorCalRefuge; 10-14-2020 at 5:03 PM..
Old 10-14-2020, 5:32 PM

Open can, pour into zip lock bag. Place in pack.

Was it really that difficult?

Look, you don't have to buy any.
Old 10-14-2020, 5:54 PM

Thanks for the info OP...going to order up.
Old 10-14-2020, 6:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWL View Post

Don't take offense, none intended. Just chatting really.

Although, it does say it will only be fresh once opened for a couple days
Old 10-14-2020, 6:41 PM
Safety third
CGN Contributor

Quote:
You might need to re-subscribe.

Most email marketers will prune their email list once in a while, if they don't detect you opening and/or clicking the links in the email.

Some email clients block that tracking stuff these days, making it harder to know who's actually engaging with your marketing emails and who's actually really not interested anymore.

If you're not actively clicking links in the email (which is trackable, from an engagement standpoint), then you might show up as a "dead" email address with no engagement - and then be pruned from the list (it costs money to send those emails, so marketers have an interest in keeping the list size smaller).
Thanks. I emailed them and asked them to add me back on to their mailing list
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-14-2020, 7:42 PM

I have been buying the bags up as I find them. Iíve eaten a few over the years to see what they taste like and they are really good. Stock them deep if you donít have any.
Old 10-14-2020, 8:01 PM

Quote:
I suggest you eat it as a meal component, not as 100% of your daily caloric intake.
I agree. Even though it tastes much better than the competition (especially for the shelf life), I get very sick of the texture of the meals. I use the individually packed meals for backpacking, and after a couple days of MH for lunch and dinner I start getting really sick of the freeze dried reconstituted food... even with different flavors for each meal.

I've found it helps to mix in "real" food with the rehydrated food. Like for breakfast, the MH Breakfast skillet is great when paired with a regular flour tortilla. The tortilla adds a different texture that you're normally used to in a regular meal.
Old 10-14-2020, 8:34 PM
Safety third
CGN Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris smith View Post
I have been buying the bags up as I find them. Iíve eaten a few over the years to see what they taste like and they are really good. Stock them deep if you donít have any.
Agreed. Been hard to find lately, for obvious reasons, but I recently found some pouches at Bass Pro Shops selling for the same price as Amazon.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 10-15-2020, 12:05 AM

Thank you CWL.

I think I saw MREs for sale too last time I was wandering Costco.
Old 10-15-2020, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Don't take offense, none intended. Just chatting really.

Although, it does say it will only be fresh once opened for a couple days
None taken.

Mountain House is considered the "top shelf" of instant/packable/storable foods.
When backpacking, after days of Top Ramen, a couple of "servings" of MH is a real luxury.

MREs are OK, and some meals are pretty tasty, but remember that it was designed as field rats for soldiers and not for daily consumption if other foods are available. They are purposely formulated to minimize the need to take a dump (makes sense if you're running & gunning) - but this leads to severe constipation followed by bouts of diarrhea...
Old 10-15-2020, 4:20 AM

We do Mountain House dehydrated all the time for backpacking, canoeing, scouts, etc. Great stuff but you have to have the water. Socal is spectacularly lacking in water availability, so plan accordingly. MRE's are heavy because they have all the water weight and I don't think they taste any better then the freeze dried. As was said earlier some light real additions always help. I will take packets of tuna, hot sauce, spices and sometimes tortillas or vegetables (depending on length of the trip. You can also supplement with hard sausages and cheeses for a better taste. On the calories, when I have backpacked if it says for two people its really a hardy meal or one. MRE calories were significantly reduced about a decade ago because soldiers were eating three a day and getting fat . Originally they were designed for very heavy duty work but over time the data shows they are not used in that scenario very often.

"Every man dies, not every man really lives!"

Old 10-15-2020, 4:28 AM
Calguns Addict

Hmmmm... did some math-ish.... not including tax.
Would dry rice and canned chicken be a better deal if only ~9 servings for 19.17?
~$2.13/1-cup DRY serving.

If getting 5oz canned chicken @ $1.36/can, and 20lbs of dry rice is only $0.52/lb, and there are about 2 cups of dry rice per pound...

One could DYI for say $1.51 for the same amount after everything, including water, but it wouldn't be "parboiled" rice equiv, and have to boil the rice, but not a good deal if you look at it compared to other options, and have a bunch more... if buying bulk canned chicken and dry rice. The most I paid for 5oz of canned chicken is like ~$1.80/can if buying in 4-6 packs, but mostly $1.36/can, which is about a cup of non-dehydrated chicken, alone...

Looks to be >~$0.62/serving less my way... and you need water either way, dry rice just uses more water.
My longer-take on the subject.

Canned chicken has no 10-30 year shelf life (could but I wouldn't), but assuming a 50/50 mix of chicken (probably more like 30[chicken]/70[rice]) dry rice and canned chicken is still a better deal...

Sorry, my reloading-senses-tingling: price/per-whatever kicked-in...
Old 10-15-2020, 6:09 AM
Vendor/Retailer

The two advantages of freeze dried is light weight and 30 year shelf life. So "store and forget" instead of having to worry about rotating supplies. #10 cans are designed for shelter in place compared to this "emergency meal" kit (https://www.costco.com/mountain-hous...100642273.html).

If you number crunch the meal kit costs 25% more per calorie compared to the #10 cans. The extra cost gets you more variety (5 flavors), less bulk (no air in pouches but each #10 can has 3 cups of empty space, or one empty #10 can of those six) and its easier to use only part of the kit if you wanted to go camping.

the86d, if you're keen on DIY consider "instant rice" instead of dry rice. Instant rice is precooked and then dehydrated (not freeze dried but could still be reconstituted with cold water in a pinch). Just be sure to seal in a mylar bag with desiccant for long term storage since the dehydration process (and the reason it's "instant") means it doesn't have the same shelf life as dry rice.
Old 10-15-2020, 4:05 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Wonder how that stacks up to top ramen or soup in a cub for 35 cents each with beef I add some soy sauce in packets. With chicken some freeze dried chicken cubes.

Last edited by edgerly779; 10-15-2020 at 4:09 PM..
Old 10-15-2020, 4:53 PM

For nutrition the stuff sucks. In a #10 can of white rice, 5.3 pounds you get 3100 calories.

You can buy rice for about .50 cent a pound. Add in some canned chicken, ham or fish, and you have real nutrition for 25% of the cost. A can of corn and green beans and you have a real meal.

That stuff is worthless if you ask me. 20 bucks a can, really ?
Old 10-15-2020, 7:43 PM

A little math here. 120 dollars buys you 200lbs of rice, or 120,000 thousand calories. Beans are almost as good a deal also. All that freeze dried crap isn't worth the bucket they sell it in.

Learn how to store real food. don't waste your money.
Old 10-15-2020, 11:16 PM

Yes, the Costco Six #10 Cans of 'Chicken and Rice' is a pretty good deal 'for Mountain House meals.'

I actually 'kinda' like eating Mountain House meals. They have long 30 years shelf life, are lightweight to store/carry, and are easy to prepare. They taste pretty decent too.

My favorite is the Mountain House Beef Stew; because it has a nice balance of meat, carb, and veggie.

At home, I always stock up at least 30 days supply of Mountain House meals. They are a little pricey, yet a peace-of-mind for just-in-case.

https://www.costco.com/mountain-hous...100677866.html

Last edited by axhoaxho; 10-16-2020 at 7:48 PM..
Old 10-16-2020, 12:04 AM

Quote:

No ****....That useful tip to save money got tore up by trolls in 5 posts
Old 10-16-2020, 5:58 AM
Vendor/Retailer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
A little math here. 120 dollars buys you 200lbs of rice, or 120,000 thousand calories. Beans are almost as good a deal also. All that freeze dried crap isn't worth the bucket they sell it in.

Learn how to store real food. don't waste your money.
That's a very one-dimensional way of thinking. How much fuel will you need to store (and rotate to keep fresh) to cook that dry rice and beans? Or water? And how much water will you need for cooking utensil cleanup afterwards? Have you ever tried cooking rice over an open flame?

Freeze dried food (especially in single serving pouches) has the advantage of wasting very little water to rehydrate, can be reconstituted with cold water in a pinch, is light weight for portability, doesn't need cooking utensils and no cleanup afterwards. Plus the 30 year shelf life. These are a great set of attributes that can't be matched by anything else. And yes the downside is it costs more per calorie.

I'm not saying dry goods like rice and beans aren't useful, nor am I discounting canned goods or other staples. Just like freeze dried stuff they all have a place. It's not one or the other. It's a combination.
Old 10-16-2020, 7:51 AM
Veteran Member

Quote:

MREs are OK, and some meals are pretty tasty, but remember that it was designed as field rats for soldiers and not for daily consumption if other foods are available. They are purposely formulated to minimize the need to take a dump (makes sense if you're running & gunning) - but this leads to severe constipation followed by bouts of diarrhea...

Whoa..... I'd definitely heard that MRE's plug you up something awful and are NOT intended for long-term use (I don't know what the maximum recommended time is to be consuming only MRE's but it can't be more than a week or two.....I think?) but I didn't know they were SPECIFICALLY FORMULATED to constipate you.... Interesting....

Being constipated is so, SO uncomfortable, I'm honestly surprised they'd do that on purpose. I get the concept; you don't want to have to crap in the middle of a battle, but IMO, it's FAR easier & more comfortable (healthier too, IMO) to hold in a deuce rather than struggle with the nightmare of constipation.

Then you have all the bloating and general discomfort that comes along with not being regular...yuck....no thanks.

Can you provide any more info as to how they're formulated to plug you up?

Again; I'd just never heard that, though I know they DO plug you up if eaten too long.

Quote:

Mountain house is pretty much the gold standard for freeze dried foods.

Yes, it generally tastes pretty darn good - unless you are insanely picky - lasts just about forever, nutritious, easy to prepare, etc. Lots of benefits.

Best idea is to buy a couple individual packets and taste test it yourself. I did exactly that. Really liked the meal we tried. I weirdly like stuff like MH, all protein / survival / granola bars & foods, MRE's etc. If it's not moving, I'll eat it & usually enjoy it.

I'm not at all worried about disliking any of the MH I have stored.

As others pointed out, shouldn't be your ONLY food prep / store, but an important part of it.

Old 10-16-2020, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrjonesUSA View Post
Whoa..... I'd definitely heard that MRE's plug you up something awful and are NOT intended for long-term use (I don't know what the maximum recommended time is to be consuming only MRE's but it can't be more than a week or two.....I think?) but I didn't know they were SPECIFICALLY FORMULATED to constipate you.... Interesting....

Being constipated is so, SO uncomfortable, I'm honestly surprised they'd do that on purpose. I get the concept; you don't want to have to crap in the middle of a battle, but IMO, it's FAR easier & more comfortable (healthier too, IMO) to hold in a deuce rather than struggle with the nightmare of constipation.

Then you have all the bloating and general discomfort that comes along with not being regular...yuck....no thanks.

Can you provide any more info as to how they're formulated to plug you up?

Again; I'd just never heard that, though I know they DO plug you up if eaten too long.
Not sure where CDL got his info from but from personal experience eating nothing but MREs for months straight...they don't constipate, they regulate. Every day I did my business at exactly 10am and 7:30pm like clock work. It was relatively dry, not painfully so, just not messy and the included MRE TP was the right amount. And, I got one extra TP every day for those more energetic movements that the stupid combinations we would dare each other to have like four Tabasco bottles and four creamers in the Ranger fudge. Tasted interesting but man did it reek in the tent that night!
Old 10-16-2020, 2:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Kraft View Post
That's a very one-dimensional way of thinking. How much fuel will you need to store (and rotate to keep fresh) to cook that dry rice and beans? Or water? And how much water will you need for cooking utensil cleanup afterwards? Have you ever tried cooking rice over an open flame?

Freeze dried food (especially in single serving pouches) has the advantage of wasting very little water to rehydrate, can be reconstituted with cold water in a pinch, is light weight for portability, doesn't need cooking utensils and no cleanup afterwards. Plus the 30 year shelf life. These are a great set of attributes that can't be matched by anything else. And yes the downside is it costs more per calorie.

I'm not saying dry goods like rice and beans aren't useful, nor am I discounting canned goods or other staples. Just like freeze dried stuff they all have a place. It's not one or the other. It's a combination.
Freeze dried stuff still has to be cooked in water. Rice and beans have no shelf life. It stores forever. Its real food.
Old 10-17-2020, 2:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB View Post
Freeze dried stuff still has to be cooked in water. Rice and beans have no shelf life. It stores forever. Its real food.
No. They don't need to be cooked at all, you just need to reconstitute the meal with water.

Rice does have a shelf life of approximately 1 year if not sealed in O-free containers.

Beans will dry to the point of hardness where they no longer can be cooked unless stored very carefully in air-tight containers. You'll find out when you whip out those 10-year beans and find them still hard as pebbles after boiling them for an hour.

Seems like some people need to understand the difference between the convenience and luxury of a prepared meal and base ingredients with which to cook with.
Old 10-17-2020, 2:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChief View Post
Not sure where CDL got his info from but from personal experience eating nothing but MREs for months straight...they don't constipate, they regulate. Every day I did my business at exactly 10am and 7:30pm like clock work. It was relatively dry, not painfully so, just not messy and the included MRE TP was the right amount. And, I got one extra TP every day for those more energetic movements that the stupid combinations we would dare each other to have like four Tabasco bottles and four creamers in the Ranger fudge. Tasted interesting but man did it reek in the tent that night!
There will always be an outlier to anything like yourself, but we called MREs "meals refusing to exit".
By DoD design, MREs are high protein, high salt, sugar and very low in fiber. This is formulated for a soldier to use in combat and have very little need for to take a #2 until after the battle is over- typically a few days according to US doctrines for rotation of troops in combat.

Talk to a dietitian and ask what are the consequences of high protein and low fiber diets, then ask yourself why the DoD specifically creates and issues MRE meals to units in combat.
Old 10-17-2020, 4:01 PM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
No....
Rice does have a shelf life of approximately 1 year if not sealed in O-free containers.

Beans will dry to the point of hardness where they no longer can be cooked unless stored very carefully in air-tight containers. You'll find out when you whip out those 10-year beans and find them still hard as pebbles after boiling them for an hour...
I JUST cooked some 6-8 year old rice, stored in bins, in the house, in the OG 20 lb bag, was wonderful...

I JUST (in the last couple of months) cooked at LEAST 7 year old (sitting in a non-air-tight bin) pintos in a pressure cooker (Ninja) for about an hour... and thy could have cooked at least 15 minutes more, but were fine...

Never underestimate the power of the schwartz...
like you apparently do shelf-lives...
Old 10-17-2020, 4:20 PM

Quote:
No. They don't need to be cooked at all, you just need to reconstitute the meal with water.

Beans will dry to the point of hardness where they no longer can be cooked unless stored very carefully in air-tight containers. You'll find out when you whip out those 10-year beans and find them still hard as pebbles after boiling them for an hour.

Seems like some people need to understand the difference between the convenience and luxury of a prepared meal and base ingredients with which to cook with.
You know nothing about storing food long term. Most of the rice you buy in a bag is at least 2 years old. Do you even store food long term or just read about it on Google. My family has been storing food and using it for several decades.
Old 10-17-2020, 5:21 PM

I found a few informative videos of how Mountain House (freeze drying) meals are made. It is more scientific and equipment-intensive than I thought. Pretty neat.

Quote:
Learn about freeze drying, the best way to preserve food for long periods of time. An all-natural process first discovered by the ancient Incas in the mountains of Peru has been taken to new heights by Oregon Freeze Dry, the makers of Mountain House. Here's your chance to see how we do it!
https://youtu.be/dNXat2MbN_M

https://youtu.be/BOfbVW6gnVM

https://youtu.be/OzOvsDVL_Q8