Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > FIREARMS DISCUSSIONS > Rimfire Firearms
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Rimfire Firearms .22, .17 and other Rimfire Handguns and Rifles

Old 06-17-2019, 5:04 PM

Default High Standard Sport King ID Help

Hey All!
I inherited an older High Standard Sport King and am trying to ID the gun.
I found a list of date codes, but the serial number on mine doesn't have any letters. Based on a few other people posting serial numbers on other forums posts I am guessing it's around 1951 to 1952???

Any information on this pistol would be appreciated, including any historical comments

Thanks!

Last edited by chaoscreature; 06-17-2019 at 5:06 PM.. Reason: pictures too big
Old 06-17-2019, 8:25 PM
Veteran Member

Some other places to look:

Take a look around here:

http://www.histandard.info/

Ask in the HS Forum on Rim Fire Central:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...splay.php?f=49

Bob B.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Old 06-17-2019, 8:59 PM

back the slide and look at the barrel. If it is flat you likely have a second model. If the slide is recessed to fit a barrel with a breach that extends into the slide, you probably have a first model Sport King. The date range you cited sounds like a first model. My experience with the first model is they cannot be safely dry fired without a snap cap or other means of preventing the firing pin from striking the breach face.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-18-2019, 11:06 AM

Flyer898,

Would that make the gun a model 101? It looks like there is indeed a recess for the barrel and a little notch for the firing pin so it doesn't slam into the breach.

Old 06-18-2019, 4:39 PM

The model 101 has a flush breech and is a Supermatic with adjustable sights. I note from the photos the serial number appears to be only on the slide. All three of the first and third model Supermatics I have owned have been numbered this way. But the first model Sport King I recently sold also had the same serial number on the frame partially covered by the grip. I do not have an explanation. My S-103 made in 1960 has the serial number on the frame.
"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-18-2019, 5:00 PM
Veteran Member

At the first link ol shooter gave you, email John Stimson with the pics, he'll have the whole history on your gun.
Old 06-18-2019, 5:06 PM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAP55 View Post
At the first link ol shooter gave you, email John Stimson with the pics, he'll have the whole history on your gun.
From memory no doubt. A genuinely nice guy who really knows his stuff. He posts often on Gunbroker and answers on the "Experts" sub-forum.
Old 06-19-2019, 9:59 AM

Thank you all for the help.
I reached out to John, hopefully he is still checking that e-mail
I will post here with any information he gives me just in case someone is curious.
I also posted on RimfireCentral and they say the gun is older than a 101 and is a "Lever Name" series, which makes it a very early Sport King as I had thought, somewhere between 1950 and 1954.
Old 06-30-2019, 1:08 PM

I have one that looks identical to yours, serial number on the slide is 345XXX. My Dad bought it for my Mom at Sears sometime between 1953-1955. It has the short barrel and a long 6 3/4" (?) barrel as well. I had to have the breech face smoothed and the firing pin replaced as it was undoubtedly dryfired quite a bit, especially since the slide does not lock back on an empty mag. It is amazingly accurate and the trigger is fantastic.

I think the notch in the breech face is for the extractor. The firing pin is at the top of the recess.

Last edited by Calif Hunter; 07-20-2019 at 8:02 AM.. Reason: Mine was made in 1951.