Calguns.net  

Home My iTrader Join the NRA Donate to CGSSA Sponsors CGN Google Search
CA Semiauto Ban(AW)ID Flowchart CA Handgun Ban ID Flowchart CA Shotgun Ban ID Flowchart
Go Back   Calguns.net > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Technology and Internet
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Technology and Internet Emerging and current tech related issues. Internet, DRM, IP, and other technology related discussions.

Old 06-05-2019, 2:14 PM
Calguns Addict

Exclamation How are you saving on Comcasts Billings?

Comcast has been killing it in our house for some time...

Looking for some ideas how others have cut back on the triple play and other rips...

Thanks in advance !
John 3:16

NRA,,, Lifer

United Air Epic Fail Video ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u99Q7pNAjvg
Old 06-05-2019, 2:38 PM

I'm not sadly. But ATT is awful and I don't like satellite. Albeit if your out of a promotion period they will most definitely put you back into one.
Old 06-05-2019, 3:02 PM
Waiting for Abs
CGN Contributor - Lifetime

One fact to remember. All your streaming, Netflix, Prime, Roku, etc, etc will apply to any data cap your ISP might have.

I am going from FIOS, with no data limit, to Cox that has a 1024 GB data cap per month.

My TV is on from generally when I get up until I go to bed. The mechanics of streaming does not support that type of use.
Old 06-07-2019, 7:43 AM

I hit up against my data cap with comcast almost every month. Wife is retired so the TV is used more than working people.
If you cut the cord, you may need to upgrade your router for a more solid coverage.
I use Ooma for home phone with no issues.
I also put up an OTA antenna, which helps with prime time viewing from the major networks or sports.
I'd do this again to get off of the merry go round that the cable and satellite providers have you do.
Old 06-07-2019, 8:15 AM

We just went through the same thing with Frontier. Our bill jumped from $235 to $385 when the promotion period expired. My wife called and talked them back down to around $250.

Same with Sirius. Promotion period expired and bill went from $5 per car to $22 per car plus $160 per year fee (without any notice BTW). Wife called and told them to cancel our service; they adjusted the amount to $4.60 for one car and $12 for the other with no fee.
Old 06-07-2019, 9:05 AM

Only use Comcast/Xfinity for Internet. Gig speed (ends up being a bit over 750Mbps) + unlimited data is about $150. Then another $100 for DirecTV. Best of both worlds (except that firecTV doesn’t carry the PAC-12 Networks).
Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 AM
Calguns Addict

DirectTVnow streaming live tv @~$50, but 2 screens by default, or 3 for $5 more/month.

To drop. FiOS TRIPPLE PLAY and just keep internet at a good price, i had to cancel my service after I scheduled a brand new install the same day.

Last edited by the86d; 07-22-2019 at 4:13 AM..
Old 06-07-2019, 11:10 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
Comcast has been killing it in our house for some time...

Looking for some ideas how others have cut back on the triple play and other rips...

Thanks in advance !
Periodically call and see what specials you qualify for as a current subsciber and never let them take you to normal pricing... I think Triple Play with phone is a waste for most people where everyone has cell phones. I found dumping the phone line and doing the alarm specials can be a lot cheaper. You could probably get super fast internet, new equip, cable boxes, free alarm install, etc... all channels or a lot, alarm with extra sensors for $100-$150. Better than $250.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:50 AM
Veteran Member

Had Comcast for a long time. I finally got tired of their constant rate raising and us calling to threaten leaving them so they'd drop it back down. BS.

So, we left them for good and went with AT&T. Good service and they didn't raise rates nearly as much. But even then we were paying too much for stuff we never used so we dropped uVerse as well.

Now we just have Netflix which we've had all along. And since we're Amazon prime members, we have that also. And we stream it all on an Apple TV as we have Apple as our home computer and WiFi system. I don't care about watching the networks or sports so between Apple TV, Netflix, and Prime video, there's way more than enough to watch.

The only things I have from AT&T now are a very basic land line, our cell phones, and internet which costs me 40 bucks a month and I get unlimited downloads at about 100kb/sec. Good enough.

A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it. - Rabindranath Tagore

Talent hits a target no one else can hit. Genius hits a target no one else can see. - Arthur Schopenhaur
Old 06-07-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
Only use Comcast/Xfinity for Internet. Gig speed (ends up being a bit over 750Mbps) + unlimited data is about $150. Then another $100 for DirecTV. Best of both worlds (except that firecTV doesn’t carry the PAC-12 Networks).
Yikes, $150 for gigabit internet. That's why I'm not a Comcast customer anymore. When we moved to SLC it was a choice between Comcast and CenturyLink for internet, both offer gigabit, but Comcast is super pricy and it would have been a 2 year contract. CenturyLink gigabit fiber is $65 per month total and no contract, and it's symmetrical so I get a consistent 900+ Mbps both ways.

I was a Comcast customer for most of my time living in CA because they were the fastest and best around. Glad to have choices now. As far as cable TV goes, we don't pay for that as it's mostly garbage. We have an OTA HD antenna and we stream everything else for free. No TV bill at all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-07-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFancyPants View Post
Yikes, $150 for gigabit internet. That's why I'm not a Comcast customer anymore. When we moved to SLC it was a choice between Comcast and CenturyLink for internet, both offer gigabit, but Comcast is super pricy and it would have been a 2 year contract. CenturyLink gigabit fiber is $65 per month total and no contract, and it's symmetrical so I get a consistent 900+ Mbps both ways.

I was a Comcast customer for most of my time living in CA because they were the fastest and best around. Glad to have choices now. As far as cable TV goes, we don't pay for that as it's mostly garbage. We have an OTA HD antenna and we stream everything else for free. No TV bill at all.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
It was (is) $100 per month but that had a data cap that we kept hitting (2TB?) so we added “unlimited data” for another $50. We went for about 15 months before regularly hitting that cap, thanks to constant 4K streaming of multiple Nest cameras, among other things.

Also, we were never locked into a contract, but wish we could have got a better price with a contract (not an option).
Old 06-07-2019, 10:38 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I have my own modem and no TV, just internet.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian777 View Post
...Don't pick either side....
Old 06-08-2019, 12:28 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbauer View Post
It was (is) $100 per month but that had a data cap that we kept hitting (2TB?) so we added “unlimited data” for another $50. We went for about 15 months before regularly hitting that cap, thanks to constant 4K streaming of multiple Nest cameras, among other things.

Also, we were never locked into a contract, but wish we could have got a better price with a contract (not an option).
Yeah I guess I haven’t noticed if I hit the data cap... it slows down ? I get around 500 Mbps max and about 12 up... getting 305 right now on the phone with a wireless cable box running in one room and streaming 4K movie here... lots of channels, Show, Cinemax, HBO, DVR service, alarm... $149

Way better than my triple play deal with phone line.

I think I could deal with just using internet / Youtube, Netflix, Amazon, etc... but probably 50/50 cable box or Shield TV right now.

Last edited by crufflers; 06-08-2019 at 12:30 AM..
Old 06-08-2019, 6:01 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpage View Post
How are you saving on Comcasts Billings?

With Verizon FIOS.

Since 2007.
Old 06-08-2019, 9:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crufflers View Post
Periodically call and see what specials you qualify for as a current subsciber and never let them take you to normal pricing... I think Triple Play with phone is a waste for most people where everyone has cell phones. I found dumping the phone line and doing the alarm specials can be a lot cheaper. You could probably get super fast internet, new equip, cable boxes, free alarm install, etc... all channels or a lot, alarm with extra sensors for $100-$150. Better than $250.
This ^^

I called last week. Saved $100 a month just fir re-signing for 2 years. The cancellation fee is $285 in 3 months I’ll make up for it if I choose to cancel.
Old 06-08-2019, 7:02 PM

It's threads like this that I wish the OP would at least make an acknowledgment to the people that replied.
Old 06-09-2019, 2:33 AM
Calguns Addict

Thanks for the replies.

Considering a few changes. Dropping the DVR, posssibly buying the modem rather than renting at 11.oo per month. We like showtime but may drop it for another monthly reduction.

NRA,,, Lifer

Old 06-09-2019, 6:30 AM

Lifeline cable (broadcast channels only) + internet runs me about $75 a month and has unlimited bandwidth. Add netflix for me, hulu for the kid and Amazon Prime for the wife and we're back near 100 bucks. We don't even notice the difference except for never having to get involved in any discussions about whatever the currently viral cable show is. That last part is it's own reward.
Old 06-09-2019, 4:11 PM
Calguns Addict

Planning on calling back 800 comcast for addl info on cutting cost. Actually last agent was helpful in some money saving ideas to propose to the family.

NRA,,, Lifer

Old 07-10-2019, 11:04 PM
Veteran Member

for just web access they way over charge.
at best i get to use it less than 8-10 hrs a day. with most of the week no hrs at all.
and then when they feel like it, my access is cut off for hrs. (how long?) i just turn everything off, and go do real life stuff.
Old 07-11-2019, 5:55 AM
Waiting for Abs

Started seeing ads in LV for a new satellite service. Orby TV

https://orbytv.com/
Old 07-13-2019, 7:56 PM
Calguns Addict

Go outside and play. Nothing good comes from sitting on your fat arse in front of the boob tube.

Old 07-14-2019, 6:07 AM

older than dirt......
"Go outside and play. Nothing good comes from sitting on your fat arse in front of the boob tube.'

any other smart a** suggestions for the people that are sick and handicapped ? tv is their only real daily contact with the outside.
Old 07-14-2019, 6:20 AM

Wish I could help, I pay $57/mo in Tx, for high speed internet from Northland Cable (Internet only), and no data cap. Don't know if Northland is in Ca, but might be worth checking.
Old 07-14-2019, 7:36 AM
Banned

Google fiber 1000/1000 70.00 even per month no cap. Been real nice, but may be moving and may not get anything. Tv is pretty boring with all the sjw stuff, even the new james bond is some dike chick. Time to retire tv
Old 07-14-2019, 9:09 AM
Waiting for Abs

FWIW,

High Desert Frontier FIOS, top TV package, phone and 75/75 internet- $256

Las Vegas Cox cable, top TV package, phone and 150/10 internet - $196

Will be interesting to see if I hit the Cox 1 TB data limit.
Old 07-14-2019, 6:54 PM

I dont use the cable TV just the Internet....
Switched to Over the Air TV
plus some times use Roku
and this ....

http://watchnewslive.tv/

Which gets me all my cable needs without cable...

Now im shopping for cheaper internet.
Old 07-15-2019, 3:28 PM

I didn't think saving and comcast could be used in the same sentence until about a week ago. I got one of those rate our service emails from them and blasted them with the lowest ratings I could give. A few days later I got a call from their customer support. They wanted to know why I wouldn't recommend their service even if hell froze over. I told them that they raise the cost all the time and they were over priced to begin with. I also told them that as soon as I could find a new provider I was gone.

The person switched me to customer retention and they cut my bill by $75 a month with the cost locked in for 2 years with an additional 2 year lock if I want it after the 2 years. They also jumped my net speed from 150 to 250. So now I give them a 2 rating.
Old 07-15-2019, 4:03 PM

I get everything for $27/month. Not sure why you’re crying

Read the Kelly Turnbull novels to see where California is and will go: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=kelly+tur..._2_15_ts-doa-p
Old 07-20-2019, 9:49 PM

ATT was having a killer sale a while back. I was paying $50 a month for 100/100.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Ono View Post
I dont use the cable TV just the Internet....
Switched to Over the Air TV
plus some times use Roku
and this ....

http://watchnewslive.tv/

Which gets me all my cable needs without cable...

Now im shopping for cheaper internet.
nice, thanks
Old 07-22-2019, 4:18 AM
Calguns Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by the86d View Post
DirectTVnow streaming live tv @~$50, but 2 screens by default, or 3 for $5 more/month...
Had to correct, but Directvnow streaming has been great!
(DVR included, on their end, so I got the re-see the Starbucks cup on GOT, when I missed it streaming.

If there was a FiOS cap, I'd leave.

We stream Hulu, Netflix, and Directvnow. It has been perfect (price and function-wise)!
Old 07-29-2019, 11:46 AM

Annually I call back saying I'd like to cancel because ATT U-Verse is offering a better deal (they usually are) and they get me back onto a promotional pricing tier. It's worth the call and playacting.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:46 AM

I also moved to Ooma for phone because VOIP is VOIP, nothing terribly sexy about it, and Ooma costs about $5/month for me after I bought the device.
Old 09-07-2019, 9:52 PM

Default You gotta do the dance with Comcast

I've been a Comcast customer for decades. No matter what I do, my monthly service rate always climbs back up to just shy of $200 a month for Triple Play.

When that happens I call them up and tell them I want to cancel because they've gotten so expensive and I'm going to switch to (Direct TV, Youtube TV, ATT, take your pick).

They send me to somebody in customer retention who tell me, "Great News, we can reduce your rate to $120 a month and improve service in some way or another for 6 months or a year if I just agree to agree not to cancel for that time. I do it, the 6 months or year goes by, and my rate is back to just under $200 and we start all over again.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:10 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

I signed up for Sling to get a show my wife wants to watch together. 15 a month for 45 channels.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian777 View Post
...Don't pick either side....
Old 09-08-2019, 6:49 AM

PLUTO TV !!!! if you have internet......it is FREE and can be easily loaded on phones and any streaming devices. it has a real nice menu....AND it gets a lot of channels that i cannot get using comcast tv. Pluto tv is installed on VIZIO tvs from the factory. i even use it on my i phone while driving and listen to forensic tv programs. it has yet to skip a beat. you owe it to yourself to check this gem out.
Old 09-09-2019, 4:39 PM
CGN/CGSSA Contributor
CGN Contributor

Of the myriad channels available on our Comcast subscription, I think I watch, maybe, four stations.
Old 09-11-2019, 6:52 AM

I use trim for my comcast and att bill. Its a service that uses AI to negotiate with comcast for a discount on your service or to apply a promotion to your bill. It also tracks service outages and contacts customer service to get a small refund for the outage. They charge %25 of what you save so if they get you a $10 discount from comcast you pay trim $2.50.

https://www.asktrim.com/
Old 09-11-2019, 7:33 AM
I need a LIFE!!

Play their game-
Set up an account in 1 persons name....

90 days later say you are moving out and cancel service

Have spouse call and set up service in her maiden name

when the promo ends- have her call and move out
you call and set up new service for the new customer special

and consider dumping cable

Rule 2 -NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT PREPARED TO DESTROY (including your hands and legs)

Rule 3 -KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

Rule 4 -BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET AND WHAT IS BEYOND IT
(thanks to Jeff Cooper)